Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 261

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 392273 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1125 on: October 06, 2021, 07:53:24 pm »

Is it possible that the inability to create a new Dwarf adventurer is linked to the new kind of the only Dwarven civilisation being an adventurer?

This could be annoying...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 06, 2021, 09:29:27 pm »

Don't think so? Since it seems the problem persisted in saves before Bralbaard was king.
I've lost control of my life.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 06, 2021, 11:50:08 pm »

I can confirm that the dwarf option is missing from the save from just after retiring my adventurer, so before I reclaimed Sealsabres. The bug must have occurred during my adventures then. Legends mode at that point lists bralbaard as lord of the Lucid Urns, not king of the Walled Dyes, so his reign began during Sealsabres' reclamation.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 07, 2021, 02:56:12 am »

Guess the dwarfless bug is here to stay then.

In the interests of science, I tried a bit of casual regicide but killing King Bralbaard doesn’t change the option to play as a dwarf. (Interestingly he is an intelligent undead but can’t use his magic powers as he is missing one hand…)

Also, I can confirm that the unretire-anyone DF Hack script does work, so that could have interesting uses.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 07, 2021, 04:36:21 am »

In that case I'll probably start later tonight through the use of unretire-anyone. Going to try and get a relatively blank slate of a dwarf, though I might have to use assign-skills to avoid certain unfair advantages in the early game.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 08, 2021, 06:59:35 pm »

If we added [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] to dwarf raws, dwarven outsiders should be available for adventure mode.

They’d not start as members of any civilisation but it would be less likely to break the game than unretiring historical figures?

I think it’s my turn after QD so I’m just thinking about options…

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 08, 2021, 07:12:40 pm »

Okay, I've got the save, but I noticed a small problem. Dwarves have vanished from the playable races menu in adventure mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since that throws a wrench in what I had planned story-wise for my turn, I'm going to have to ask for a day or two before my week of time starts counting down, so I can hastily re-plan and maybe try to figure out why this has happened.

EDIT: Having looked back, this seems to have been going on for at least one turn. They're absent from adv mode's playable races list in turn 54's save, but are present in turn 53 or earlier. Going to legends-dive with the current save and try out a few things to see if they have any effect.
If all else fails, you can download adventurer-freedom (DFHack script) to force the game to let you play as anything (which... probably includes dwarves).
Just ask if it counts as legal DFHack usage first, since that's... y'know, a rule that exists.
quoted because it's 2 pages before this one and people are talking about
ways to be a dwarf
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 08, 2021, 08:41:00 pm »

If we added [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] to dwarf raws, dwarven outsiders should be available for adventure mode.

They’d not start as members of any civilisation but it would be less likely to break the game than unretiring historical figures?

I think it’s my turn after QD so I’m just thinking about options…
Good suggestion, if QD's willing to do that, I have no problem with it.

Is there any indication that unretiring historical figures breaks the game? I've done it several times in throw-away saves and nothing bad happened. I think it's even worse when we unretire our adventurers, as I proved in Lurker's last turn, since he was a Lord and most retired adventurers become nobles of a civ or another. That's why I suggested unretiring non-noble creatures. The turn I unretired my Lurker character and tried to enter the mead hall, I was blocked by a pop-up saying I became Lord without being able to get out of the menu or do anything about it than crash the game from Task Manager.
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: October 09, 2021, 01:15:01 am »

Ive never heard of such an issue before, but no other game has had 56 turns that almost all go through an adventurer and a fortress across a century of time and all manner of nonsense, either, so if there's any way unretiring adventurers CAN screw up, this is as likely a place as any for it to be noticed for the first time.

I would suggest reporting the issue on the mantis and using the turn 55 end and turn 56 end saves as a before and after, maybe Toady can figure out how it happened (oh, and maybe also why Charcoal Brutes became an option, too? That was pretty weird.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 09, 2021, 01:48:00 am »

I think turn 54 is the last one with dwarves as an option. They were gone at the start of your turn, I think. Anyhow the suggested fix is a good one. Would that also work for kobolds? Some people were interested in playing them..

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 09, 2021, 04:50:34 am »

All the peoples of the world except Dwarves pretty much are undergoing total societal collapse, while the Dwarves are actively rebuilding things, reclaiming old things  and growing in numbers. As long as people keep building Fortresses, Dwarves are probably going to remain the people in the best (read: only) real position of strength, or at least the possibility of growing stronger.

Personally, I'd advise adding Dwarven outsiders, although it might be interesting for someone to take on an established historical figure, and see what happens...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 09, 2021, 05:55:22 am »

All the peoples of the world except Dwarves pretty much are undergoing total societal collapse
Whatever gave you this idea? The 8th century was chocked-full of reclaiming, especially by the elves, but also Adilatír outside of player influence. Yes, there hasn't been a non-Monastery non-Fort settlement creation since the start of the 3rd century (the castle Cusithxetan was the last built in 205), which is very weird. Omon Obin would have been fine in its isolation if not for those pesky (insane) adventurers, but even so, rapidly-changing Law-Givers isn't as bad in an AI-controlled civ as it is IRL. Other human civs still have plenty of sites to their name, and void characters (i.e. computer generated dwarves/humans/etc.) keep populating those places, so nothing short of a war by the goblins (which seem pretty skittish in this world despite having for over a century more pop in a single civ than all other civs combined) or adventurer game-breaking shenanigan can send all these societies into "total societal collapse".

The closest that was to happening was in the 4th century, when the civs of the world were on the brink of collapse and ganged on Oddom's Mishthemdeduk.

What's most worrying is the elven race. I haven't seen a void elf popping up since a time before time. Ribiromimi society may survive, on account of all the goblins, but the elven race is slowly but inexorably heading towards extinction.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:43:50 am by Lurker Z »

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 09, 2021, 09:22:22 pm »

I just realized (by reading the wiki) that elves worship a force called Cacame in Orid Xem.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 10, 2021, 02:03:34 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that at first, but it's not that big of a deal. There are 25 creatures with the Cacame name just in Orid Xem.

I think this is a common name that most people didn't notice until the Cacame was popularized. Orid Xem itself has a roc, a dingo, a few goblins and even a human apparently unrelated to the elven civ named Cacame.

Glad someone else noticed enough to comment on it, and from the wiki no less.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 10, 2021, 02:39:33 pm »

Its a conspiracy theory, the elves are in cahoots with the goblins and the roc
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 261