Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 408077 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2020, 12:56:04 am »

Within a rather bedraggled quire, after many torn-out pages, a steady, practiced hand writes;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Things are looking up for the moment!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2020, 09:49:15 am »

Keyconjured! I thought about going there on my turn, it has the only other library in the world apart from the one in Divedact.

It belonged to one of the three original dwarven civilizations, but like the third one, it was stopped in its tracks early on. And seems like you found out why!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2020, 11:19:41 am »

Yeah, but there's no library as far as I saw. There was only the one book down in the nobles hall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2020, 01:29:44 pm »

Oh, maybe I'm mixing it up with that third Dwarven civ then.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2020, 03:32:18 pm »

Steel as a rare and forgotten material only found amongst the former homes, now tombs, of the dwarves is an aspect of the world that I think would be interesting to expand on. I must think about that.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2020, 03:52:36 pm »

Nice to see people are still doing these. If it's possible, I'd like to be added to the list.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2020, 06:43:45 pm »

Steel as a rare and forgotten material only found amongst the former homes, now tombs, of the dwarves is an aspect of the world that I think would be interesting to expand on. I must think about that.

I chose to go with that bc this human civilization is in the far south, keyconjured is the only dwarven settlement they have access to. Donas is a peasant from a backwater farming town, essentially, and his only skill is in bonecarving, barely able to read, so I figure he wouldn't know much about metallurgy or history until this point, and dwarves amount to a fairy tale for most of these people. I stopped to do a double take when I started to write "and I found steel bolts!" Because i realized, would I have a clue what steel was?

In the north around boltspumpkin and the mountain range there I imagine people think more about the dwarves and their legacy of unleashing demons upon the world, and so maybe their crafts and steel, as well. But yeah, even there it would be extremely rare and valuable.

More coming tonight or tomorrow probably. I already butchered a night creature and dozens of wild animals on the way back to civilization.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:46:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2020, 02:58:48 pm »

Since dwarves are the known culprits of unleashing the demons on the world plus they aren't around any more to offer a dissenting view (they're turtling in their secret keeps, away from the surface world), then would dwarven metallurgy suffer a kind of stigma by association too?  Steel and candy might become this fairy tale metal that "everybody knows" also attracts evil.  Adventurers are considered either brave or foolhardy to wear or own stuff made from these materials, and if they or their companions come to sticky ends, it's obvious they brought it on themselves wearing or owning "Dwarfbane".  Incidentally, bringing Dwarfbane (I'm suggesting this as the new name for steel and candy items), into a castle or someone's home is considered rude, as if you are bringing a plague in to their homes.  Evil is contagious.  Perhaps the only way to cure Dwarfbane is to wash it in the blood of the very demons that it summoned (which handily gives anyone with steel or candy items a ready made quest to "uncurse" thier Dwarfbane items.) Of course, bringing back the skull of a demon as proof that the Dwarfbane has been uncursed would be important.  Otherwise, how would anyone know?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:01:35 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2020, 03:45:28 pm »

Maybe for the northern civilizations, but all those humans in the south don't have access to any other races, and seem to be flourishing (5 cities of # size that I can see vs. 0 in the north). So as Eric pointed out, its more likely that they just wouldn't even know what those materials are.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:48:52 pm by Glloyd »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2020, 07:58:20 pm »

You finish reading the journal;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, probably going to spend my last three days making a fort somewhere. Will probably post a save sunday night
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:01:10 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »

Actually a bit of dwarven culture is still alive. The Walled Dyed goddess of war and victory, Kezat. Has composers of all races composing to her likeness. So most definitely they know  what steel is. Of course maybe  centuries of not being in contact with real dwarves and the possible chance for storytellers  to dramatized steel mightve distorted  the facts about steel. But that aside. Seriously, Kezat is really popular in this world. It honestly remind me how western  society is still fascinated by greek and norse gods.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2020, 08:41:20 pm »

Actually a bit of dwarven culture is still alive. The Walled Dyed goddess of war and victory, Kezat. Has composers of all races composing to her likeness. So most definitely they know  what steel is. Of course maybe  centuries of not being in contact with real dwarves and the possible chance for storytellers  to dramatized steel mightve distorted  the facts about steel. But that aside. Seriously, Kezat is really popular in this world. It honestly remind me how western  society is still fascinated by greek and norse gods.
I don't see why Kezat being still talked about would automatically mean steel is still known.
I suppose steel might have be talked about like it's tough as adamantine. Gods know what they think of adamantine.

Actually, no one has gone to a bandit camp, have they? It's not uncommon for bandit camps to have steel equipment even if they aren't dwarves. Might change if they're isn't a dwarven civ around though.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2020, 12:23:33 am »

Really it's just speculation. To me, I just assume an early composer describe Kezat to be wielding a steel spear. Causing future composer to include steel spear in their songs. In consequence, since human's knowledge of steel mostly relied on these musical form. All it takes is for legendary storytellers over the years to weave a dramatic tale of what steel is and a myth is born. I wouldn't be surprise if they think Kazat created steel.

Funny fact: The realm of Sliver was ruled by a reanimated kobold in 50-53. It was ultimately killed by a Roc. XD. Honestly how did the little thing was able to gain power? I swear dwarf leaves so much to be desire.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2020, 02:06:05 am »

Actually, no one has gone to a bandit camp, have they? It's not uncommon for bandit camps to have steel equipment even if they aren't dwarves. Might change if they're isn't a dwarven civ around though.

I did slaughter a couple camps but i didnt pay any attention to the loot...
I make Spellcrafts!

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2020, 03:26:12 am »

I'm not so sure steel has become a forgotten material. I met several adventurers hanging around at bars in Divedact sporting steel armour. Perhaps no-one knows how to make it, but it seemed to me it couldn't be an unknown at least. Perhaps in the southern Realm of Silver they haven't heard about it, seems to me it has remained quite isolated throughout history.

And regarding the demons, I don't think they got much further than the old dwarven kingdom and to the borders of the High Confederacies. The great evil in this world is the necromancers who almost wiped out everything. Most of them were dwarves, so it would make sense if dwarves were associated with hidden, evil knowledge in general. So would make sense with the dwarfbane concept!

By the way, Eric's adventurer is probably the most successful one so far! A shame he joined the dark side
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:47:39 am by Emilovich »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 263