Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 408382 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1305 on: November 28, 2021, 01:52:10 pm »

Dang. Somehow the game lapsed my mind completely. I'll have to ask you folks to forgive me for holding things up again! Though I will ask to be bumped to the bottom of the list, I'll keep a better eye on things.

No problem, I'll update the list.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 28, 2021, 04:59:08 pm »

Now who is this interesting madman? I was first going to call him an absolute madman, but his actions barely rate compared to even the more interesting NPCs in Orid Xem.

But still, what might be his story? A random monk, asked to take the smallest position above member in a religious group with a holy city, killing 2 goblins - one infected with the Omon blight - and 3 humans, then going back to his meditation and living the rest of his zen-like then dying of old age? More interesting and what attracted my attention is that he got a title out of that. I've seen adventurer companions have up to twice his kills and never getting titles. What's more interesting, he isn't listed as a companion, his actions didn't brand him an enemy of anyone and he knew Lurker (though I sure didn't know him and I never took companions). I suspect an adventurer's presence triggered whatever this was. Yes, I suspected it was during Galka's run and it indeed fits his culling of the blight to the day. Regardless, fun things keep happening in the world.

In other news, I updated the Adventurer of the Museum page with some lore so it wouldn't be so empty.

Since I posted, there's something that's been bugging me. What ever happened to the second Museum world? I get what happened with Mudungudon, it was riddled with bugs and nearly broken, the world had been dying for over two centuries and wherever an adventurer would go, mortals would fall of old age like flies around them before they could even open their mouths.

But Teyo Ametha even works in the current version. I think I read about plans to play it in parallel with Orid Xem, or do I misremember?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 05:18:19 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 28, 2021, 06:04:18 pm »

The second museum was far more buggy than the original even after a few turns, if I remember correctly. We started it too early after the release of a major DF version, it had many, many crashes. Also, the world was high savagery with lots of megabeasts and very large evil areas: Civilisations were very small as a result and the world was mostly wilderness. It was just less interesting compared to museum I and III.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:37:38 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 28, 2021, 06:58:06 pm »

Interesting story, honestly outside of the adventurers of the museum. Some of the NPCs can be very interesting. Wonder what caused him to snap, maybe a voice from his god. Purge the blight and any that stood in the way.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 29, 2021, 09:52:40 am »

Interesting story, honestly outside of the adventurers of the museum. Some of the NPCs can be very interesting. Wonder what caused him to snap, maybe a voice from his god. Purge the blight and any that stood in the way.
The technical explanation is that he was dragged into the "Insurrection" started by Uja. Also found another infected that isn't described as "necromancer" in the kill list. So it was probably a mess of killing in there. But the one described as "necromancer" comes from Hannibal? A real mess.

But from an outside view, it is indeed eerie. Let's see how many miracles he got away with:
* he survived fighting 5 creatures, presumably in adventure mode, where wounds stack
* he survived without being infected
* he wasn't declared an enemy of any group
* he received a title, something that Kings and other otherwise powerful beings don't receive

That definitely sounds like divine intervention however you look at it.

Found a poor werebeast magnet that finally got bit.

She was attacked by 6 werebeasts before she was finally turned. And this is before some adventurers started propagating the curse. Strange as this is, this isn't the first time I've seen a creature being attacked multiple times until they were infected. The last surviving prince of the Ikar Abowba dynasty, Urwa Nihdesana, was attacked multiple times by werebeasts until he was turned. If I didn't know better, I'd think the game AI had a plan, but the RNG kept failing to turn its planned creatures and it kept trying. Again, eerie.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 29, 2021, 11:03:55 am »

Honestly its crazy. I hadn't looked at him myself but must certainly of been a holy act.

As for Ibon, the year of 691 wasn't her year.

Here is one i come across. Zamnuth Rhymedstaves - A male plump helmet man born in 375. He was a dancer for two years in confusedship before joining and eventually becoming a high color of the flaxen coven. Years later for unknown reasons he murdered a goblin memeber of the falxen coven. In the final year of his life he was corrupted by another goblin only to drop dead that same year. He was then entombed in The Crypts of Iron and had Akrultinoth Limul Neth "Tinequal the Gold of Balance" a golden beryl gem made by a fellow plump helmet mal Wele Twiglances in order to sanctify Zamnuth by preserving a part of the body. Years later during a persecution,the Goblin Ngokang Badurns the lyrical Flies claimed the legendary gem for herself. The goblin met her end years later to Iden Bloodinked the mire of cites. Iden seemingly not noticing the gem left it only for it to be sorted the Knowledgepalms as a curiousity in The letter of Fruit, a mead hall hundreds of years old.

The story gets more interesting when you look at Wele Twiglances, he too went on to die of old age, got his own crypt (the Constructive Crypts) and had a goblin create an artifact ("Degnubam" Eventeal - a legendary ramie cloak) in order to sancity him by preserving a part of the body. It was also confiscated and claimed by a goblin. It also found its way into Knowledgepalms.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 11:43:40 am by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 30, 2021, 11:51:08 am »

Well that's interesting I suppose. I see Fedemesme, / Knowledgepalms only has 6 artifacts to its name, so it's not that much of a library/artifact hording site. I found one in the elven lands though, not sure if it was mentioned anywhere in-story.

Speaking of plump helmet men, I always had a curiosity for them. I looked up in Legends Mode and there are 7 named PHMs, all part of civilizations or in the case of one, of groups. They're strangely split between human, goblin and dwarf civs, too.

Not sure if I ever intend to do it, but would it bug people if I spawned unnamed PHMs through commands in fortress mode or if I wanted them, I would need to hope I got lucky, as I did with the reptile people?

I was writing a page for Kasat Thorangosp because I noticed her immortality slab was the one used by adventurers in Monkeycurse / Taksmongopex to become necromancers. The first thing I see she's killed in 89 and I figure she'll have a 3-5 line article just because she's a chosen necromancer.

4600+ words later, whew. Did she get around. In fact, that's the only thing she was successful at, loving, marrying and divorcing. And getting an immortality slab from a God, that's something. And surviving a rampaging troll and 6 battles. But for a necromancer, she was an abject failure. She didn't raise any undead (despite having a lot of battles to take corpses from), she kept prowling around the place she was exposed and expelled from and paid the price. She had no apprentice. She made an enemy that probably got her killed. You can't win The Game of Thrones just by seducing, flattering and offering immortality to future enemies. At least other failed necromancers died to dragons or other megabeasts, even death by troll wouldn't be as shameful.

So, it's been a while, may I ask whose turn is it and if they confirmed taking it?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 30, 2021, 12:00:46 pm »

Its luckyowl currently, their turn should be down tomorrow and then Kesperan will start. Interesting about the slab, im thinking of contributing some articles to the wiki to help flesh it out as a resource. As you have done amazingly so far with it.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 30, 2021, 04:24:28 pm »

I’m not sure if Luckyowl has started his turn.

Uklasut, or Frothbone, is an important part of Moldath the Blind Sadist’s plans, assuming Luckyowl hasn’t done something with it…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 30, 2021, 04:51:12 pm »

Uklasut, or Frothbone, is an important part of Moldath the Blind Sadist’s plans, assuming Luckyowl hasn’t done something with it…
Sure thing, I'm just chronicling events. I found Uklasut to be an important part of the world, so I made it an article (it was just a redirect to Ala, since I found most slabs and even artifacts aren't worth articles unless they go through many hands or they're used to kill many creatures or they're a reason for war... generally if they're special to the world in some way). I'd only like to ask people in the game to stop destroying them since they're getting more rare in the world and presumably harder to find.

I'm going to play mostly around Eskôn, Iroram and possibly Thillecit, though if someone reclaims Kosothducim, prepare for a (role-play) war.

im thinking of contributing some articles to the wiki to help flesh it out as a resource. As you have done amazingly so far with it.
Thanks. You're welcomed to contribute whatever you see fit, and don't worry about formatting, just write as you would write a story post and I'll put links and categories and such. I'd only request that you be careful in putting wiki links or categories to pages that don't exist - if you're not sure you're doing that right, better not do that at all. I'm sure I can copy-edit a wall of text if it comes to that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:02:37 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 30, 2021, 05:15:26 pm »

No response from Luckyowl, so we will move on.

I have constructed a small fortress in my personal save game and I might as well upload it, as that is the only thing I did. That way the downtime is not a complete loss.
The save game can be found here.

The new fortress, Thiefguild, can be found very close to the museum, and is included in the small cutout on the map:

-----------
A bit of background:

Rumor has it that a small bandit gang has established a secret hideout below the local tavern in Diptramples.
They prey on the rich gem market of the town. It is said that the bandits are hoping to employ kobolds in their ranks, they have even crafted full sets of kobold sized armor to lure the rare creatures.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 30, 2021, 05:17:46 pm »

I think we need to start a habbit of making posts announcing that we are starting our turn. So we don't wait a week to see if someone is or isnt playing.

Edit: Interesting Bralbaard will have to give this a gander
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:20:12 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 30, 2021, 05:33:55 pm »

I think we need to start a habbit of making posts announcing that we are starting our turn. So we don't wait a week to see if someone is or isnt playing.
I did announce whenever I got the message and was ready, but Bralbaard is the organizer and he skips people anyway if the 3 days are up, so it won't change much.

Interesting Bralbaard will have to give this a gander
I never did take a look at others' forts unless I needed the name of a creature living there or something, I felt it was spoilery. Not saying for others not to, only that was my take on it. On the other hand, I never did got to visit the forts, so...

I should at least take a look at the Mudungudon ones...
Not sure if I ever intend to do it, but would it bug people if I spawned unnamed PHMs through commands in fortress mode or if I wanted them, I would need to hope I got lucky, as I did with the reptile people?
Bump for visibility.

Ah, this reminds me. From my (granted, unique) experience with the reptile people respawning when the old ones have left (or presumably died), I can assume different places of a Dwarf Fortress map have specific types of creatures that spawn in caves (and maybe some don't at all)? I'll also note I was playing with Invasion off, so apparently underground... tribes - because I can't call them civs with a straight face - don't count as invaders (mind, neither do some of the more scary underground monsters bar forgotten beasts).

I must amend, considering BOTH times I played that fort, i.e. when the reptile people respawned, I was playing with Invasion off.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:41:51 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 30, 2021, 05:49:49 pm »

So apparently the new king queen is dead. Died peacefully in his her sleep after ruling for only a few months. A true shame for him her to die after putting al that effort into claiming the crown from it's rightful owner.

(Don't look at me, I swear I had nothing to do with it)

Speaking of plump helmet men, I always had a curiosity for them. I looked up in Legends Mode and there are 7 named PHMs, all part of civilizations or in the case of one, of groups. They're strangely split between human, goblin and dwarf civs, too.

I have no strong opinion on this. What do others think?

Edit: got the monarch's gender wrong.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:05:34 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 30, 2021, 05:54:56 pm »

I thought it was a new Queen, not King?

Anyway - thanks for the heads up about it being my turn.

I will download the save tonight and hopefully make a start soon.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 263