Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 262

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 404038 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1320 on: November 30, 2021, 05:57:16 pm »

Bump for visibility.

Ah, this reminds me. From my (granted, unique) experience with the reptile people respawning when the old ones have left (or presumably died), I can assume different places of a Dwarf Fortress map have specific types of creatures that spawn in caves (and maybe some don't at all)? 
I played fortress mod with invasions on. If memory recalls i had constant flow of underground creatures, both hostile and non-hostile alike.

So apparently the new king is dead. Died peacefully in his sleep after ruling for only a few months. A true shame for him to die after putting al that effort into claiming the crown from it's rightful owner.

(Don't look at me, I swear I had nothing to do with it

I have no strong opinion on this. What do others think?

Olon died of old age dam. What a short boring reign. But looks like we have another queen.

Ral Budmanors, she seems like a more active and interesting queen.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:00:23 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 30, 2021, 06:02:41 pm »

I thought it was a new Queen, not King?

Ah, my bad she was the queen.
Legendsviewer gives her gender, but then proceeds to call her king in the next sentence.  :o

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 30, 2021, 07:22:55 pm »

I thought it was a new Queen, not King?

Anyway - thanks for the heads up about it being my turn.

I will download the save tonight and hopefully make a start soon.
Considering your last run, I'm looking forward to it.

I played fortress mod with invasions on. If memory recalls i had constant flow of underground creatures, both hostile and non-hostile alike.
I'm pretty sure both tribes were hostile. Also, you get Jabberers, Giant Cave Spiders, Trolls, Troglodytes, Blind Cave Ogres etc. with Invasion off.
Olon died of old age dam. What a short boring reign. But looks like we have another queen.

Ral Budmanors, she seems like a more active and interesting queen.
I haven't downloaded the save yet so I have no strong opinions about this. Anyone after Bralbaard was bound to be boring (or maybe not, it's a shame Sigun, the guy who birthed the first dwarf of the 9th century didn't get it or someone as awesome).

...you know, the more I think about it, the more the selection of rulers seems kind of random and arbitrary. I mean, yes, Bralbaard deserved it if only because he lived for a long time and had a title, and in that category fall goblin rulers, as much as I am loathe to admit it. But what about the void creatures that immediately rise to thrones from the middle of nowhere? They should at least come from creatures with titles or from rulers of populated settlements.

So apparently the new queen is dead. Died peacefully in her sleep after ruling for only a few months. A true shame for her to die after putting al that effort into claiming the crown from it's rightful owner.

(Don't look at me, I swear I had nothing to do with it)
You were warned that if you played your adventurer, you may lose your position. I think it'll take some time for you to rise back through the succession line or if the game will even consider your character valid for any Adilatír position anymore. As last time, I'm just guessing and I hope I'm wrong. (Also a bit upset that Kikrost didn't become baron with all the openings available. And not many adventurers, either. Did they run out of stock or something?)

It'd be interesting to see if a character can become King in two different terms, I don't think I've ever seen it in a game before.

Also godsdamnit, I haven't even made an article for Bralbaard's successor, let alone this new one XD.

Ah, I remembered my question. It was for Bralbaard especially, but anyone can give feedback: can you take a look at my Adventurer of the Museum article and tell me if I'm doing the lore right? So far I've just bashed ideas that seem like common sense to me, but I'd like feedback if they fit people's worldview for Orid Xem or not.

I have no strong opinion on this. What do others think?
Thanks for looking into it.

Edit: On the one hand, Queen Ral at least fought in some battles and is a legendary armorsmith. On the other hand, she rose from Expedition Leader of a Hillocks and she barely has 2 kills. How is this fair? What do the counts say about this, let alone the barons?

It's probably because there were no opening, but Bralbaard hasn't been called to be even a baron. Well, we'll see when a position opens up if he's back in the line.

There are now more abstract elves according to Legends Viewer than there were in the year 700 despite heavy losses incurred in 708 to goblins, to Arcturus and recently to Suril and that I see no elves born from the 700s onwards. They must be literally growing on trees to multiply asexually like that.

I just found out Dothanest is relatively close to the center of Orid Xem, directly to the west of it in fact. I didn't put it together until now, since if you look at the Legends Viewer map it's slightly off-set to the west. But yeah, now I can see it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:50:08 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 01, 2021, 02:25:29 am »

Ah, I remembered my question. It was for Bralbaard especially, but anyone can give feedback: can you take a look at my Adventurer of the Museum article and tell me if I'm doing the lore right? So far I've just bashed ideas that seem like common sense to me, but I'd like feedback if they fit people's worldview for Orid Xem or not.

Well, I started my latest adventure with the following quote:

Report on 825 state visit by his royal highness Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning.

Over the last few decades I have been unable to spend much time on my original profession, that of historian. As you may have heard I have been crowned king of the Walled Dye. This is a great honour, but the job is fundamentally incompatible with that of a historian. As a king you are supposed to make history, not write it, and questions about integrity and ethics should be raised when the jobs are combined. I will therefore only write notes on my actions as a king, and will leave it up to the historians of the current and future ages to interpret them and give them a proper place in history.

So I'm fine with there being some differences in interpretation between my own write ups and official history. In fact any differences now automatically fit with the lore  :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:04:32 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: December 01, 2021, 06:34:13 am »

I'm fine with there being some differences in interpretation between my own write ups and official history. In fact any differences now automatically fit with the lore  :P
I don't mean for this to come out harshly, but that's going to end up in a mess.

I'm still trying to find a way to reconcile your official story ("coup? hidden undead conspirators? escape & disappearance from the capital? What are you talking about? I was just making my official rounds around the Kingdom, what do you mean I've been deposed?!" with the first reaction that came after seeing the massacre at the capital and Bralbaard being ousted. Ah well, I'll try to add all POVs and possibilities where possible.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 01, 2021, 07:15:52 am »

I think the current summary on Bralbaard is fine.
It is important to note that my first post of the latest adventure was written from another perspective than the later four, which were from Bralbaard's perspective.

From a gameplay perspective, what happened was this.
I loaded Bralbaard's character with the intention to leave peacefully on an adventure. I started out on the roof of the fortress, so I could just jump off, and walk away. I used that story for what I wrote from Bralbaard's perspective, leaving out the information that I started on the roof, but starting from the assumption that he was unaware of the problems.

As a player however I fully knew what was going on. "L"ooking at the lower levels revealed lots of exclamation marks "!!" and combat reports about undead and nobles murdering each other occasionally came through. On top of that we already knew that this would happen when loading Treatyseed.
So as a player I ran away as fast as possible to limit the collateral damage.
I made a copy of my save game and used it to check legends. This was to see what the damage was to the fortress and possibly to other player characters. It was bad, but I guess acceptable.
I made the first post about my adventure about the infighting in the fortress and the fact that Bralbaard had gone missing, based on this information. Again this was not from Bralbaard's perspective. I did actually took some screenshots in legends mode and later of the inside from the fortress in that other save game to illustrate the battle.
I roleplayed the following posts based on Bralbaard knowing nothing about the unfolding disaster, and wrote that from his perspective.

Note that I did not actually believe I would be deposed during my adventure, even though you warned me specifically.  ::) So any references to a coup were just a loose interpretation of the infighting in Treatyseed.

Edit: Lots of edits for clarity.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:37:56 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: December 01, 2021, 07:35:21 am »

That's very interesting. Yes, multiple POVs. Or we're all schizos. One of those, definitely :P

Hey, since you're around, can I have an idea on how to interpret first adventurer Bralbaard's recommendation/order that creatures "too strong" such as demons can't become adventurers of the Museum in an in-world explanation? It's been bugging me for weeks now. I can explain the charcoal brute with "well they're demons" and "they killed me", but not "if you're too strong to die to a goblin/kobold horde, you can't be an AotM".

By the way, I found the second charcoal brute that attacked you (though I have no idea why he'd attack his King), Letha Whisperedheaven.

Relationships
1. the dwarf Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning (Visual), Trust (-50)
That sounds about right.

And do I have your permission to discuss your first attempt at reclaiming
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
now that the results are not a spoiler anymore? Or do you have anything more to write about it than what you PM'd me?

That's very interesting. Yes, multiple POVs. Or we're all schizos. One of those, definitely :P
Speaking of, I was thinking when we make divergent saves, as there have been cases, we might refer to them as Dragon Breaks, but I wasn't sure before contacting you about it. Honestly, I found it the best and simplest explanation for why saves and character creation act the way they do in video games.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:42:32 am by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 01, 2021, 07:42:25 am »

Hey, since you're around, can I have an idea on how to interpret first adventurer Bralbaard's recommendation/order that creatures "too strong" such as demons can't become adventurers of the Museum in an in-world explanation? It's been bugging me for weeks now. I can explain the charcoal brute with "well they're demons" and "they killed me", but not "if you're too strong to die to a goblin/kobold horde, you can't be an AotM".

That's just a game rule, as those demons are obviously overpowered. The rules are kind of meta, so there should be no reason to attribute them to in-game characters. Did I try to explain this from an in game perspective? I don't fully remember. 

And do I have your permission to discuss your first attempt at reclaiming
now that the results are not a spoiler anymore? Or do you have anything more to write about it than what you PM'd me?

I'm not sure if we should confuse everything by putting in those alternative timelines. There should be no specific need in this instance anyhow, since we know from later adventures. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:46:32 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 01, 2021, 08:41:42 am »

Well, I'll try to weld something on the wiki at least, I like the idea of alternate timelines even if things get complicated.

I found my first creature with a cedilla in its name (a gray fiend demon, but the page isn't updated with the information yet). On the note of names, does anyone notice and is bothered by the fact that demons have naming conventions more similar to elves than anything else? Do demons and forgotten beasts count as "nature"? Or what is the reason, then?

Yes, I know they're not in cahoots because demons and demon-backed civs have been killing elves without a care since the forging of the worlds, but it's strange none-the-less.

Witness a complete NPC demon-on-named-cave-monster battle without (as far as I know) the presence of an adventurer in the area. I'll never get enough of this living world update.

(Yes, that's the demon with the cedilla, Lethathicaçe.)

Also, I found a Sasquatch who died of old age, but I don't have the print at this time. I originally thought creatures like trolls were immortal, but after using this method (that I developed and posted there myself) to see the death age, I was surprised to see trolls don't have the -1 and instead are set to live to around 500 years. Looks like the same is for other creatures that you'd think should be immortal.

Also  im curious if the forgotten beast Zulen Smeareddour is still kicking around poisonuttered. From what i hear he asks alot of questions.
Ah, Brit, sorry I didn't mention it at the time, I LOVED that talking ("talking") bugged/feature forgotten beast. Awesome discovery!

That's just a game rule, as those demons are obviously overpowered. The rules are kind of meta, so there should be no reason to attribute them to in-game characters. Did I try to explain this from an in game perspective? I don't fully remember.
I don't remember any discussion about it, nor could I imagine there was a reason for it to come up. People in-story could just ignore why demigods, demons, dragons or forgotten beasts aren't roaming the world swiping valuables, crushing thousands of populations in a few days and bringing the valuables to a town in the middle of nowhere... since they have their mind full of necromancers, vampires and were-cthulhu doing those things anyway. I could just ignore it too I guess, but I wrote bits in several articles and I don't quite remember where or if I should remove them. But considering I'm trying to integrate game rules in-story, I figure someone beside me is going to ask the same question eventually. Maybe.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:51:17 am by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: December 01, 2021, 10:16:10 am »

Well, I'll try to weld something on the wiki at least, I like the idea of alternate timelines even if things get complicated.

Witness a complete NPC demon-on-named-cave-monster battle without (as far as I know) the presence of an adventurer in the area. I'll never get enough of this living world update.

(Yes, that's the demon with the cedilla, Lethathicaçe.)

Ah, Brit, sorry I didn't mention it at the time, I LOVED that talking ("talking") bugged/feature forgotten beast. Awesome discovery!

Ah yeah the demon, after getting lots of webbed beasts. I just sealed the cavern layers off. Did return when the webbed beasts got killed as my ranged squad would fight the beast 1v1. Always displayed their corpses though. Unless they melt. I would just watch that fiend. Good for culling the cavern layers.

Yeah I'm really curious about the talking forgotten beast, promise I won't kill this one. I will have to try and keep  Zulen Smeareddour locked up. Would be pretty interesting if he was just friendly and became a citizen of the walled dye. Looking at Poisionuttered they aren't living there so I assume after two years of getting information from people they left. I wonder who they was getting that information for.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:18:28 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 01, 2021, 08:06:18 pm »

I've been reading through random stories on here and this is simply awesome, please put me down if signups are open!

Also: is it frowned upon to explore a little on the current save while waiting? Obviously nothing silly like leaking metaknowledge into my runthrough-- I plan on exploring a bit far away from where I want to take a crack at this, I just want to see the world a bit, this universe is simply awesome.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 01, 2021, 10:06:29 pm »

I've been reading through random stories on here and this is simply awesome, please put me down if signups are open!

Also: is it frowned upon to explore a little on the current save while waiting? Obviously nothing silly like leaking metaknowledge into my runthrough-- I plan on exploring a bit far away from where I want to take a crack at this, I just want to see the world a bit, this universe is simply awesome.
nah, we've had a few OOC and alternate universe explorers now, mostly to explore the saves that got erased
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 02, 2021, 02:31:11 am »

I'll add you to the list. Feel free to explore in your personal save game, posting on the forum topic is only for official adventures though, unless otherwise indicated.
A number of players have developed an interest in legends browsing, so we have quite some posts with background information on the world these days, which is fine as well, as long as it doesn't spoil player fortresses, or impacts the game too much.

Speaking about the "unless otherwise indicated" in the text above.. It's probably time to awaken the historians guild. We've got quite a few of adventurers that never wrote down their stories, and since people are busy with legends anyhow we could start going through them one by one?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 02:32:51 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 02, 2021, 09:57:57 am »

we've had a few OOC and alternate universe explorers now, mostly to explore the saves that got erased
Hey, tonnot, great to see you're lurking around.

A little nitpick for those who didn't read the relevant parts or didn't get it: if we're talking about Gor and Tathbom, they don't take place in alternate universes, exactly. People visiting them after they got erased does, yes, but the two forts' turns remain in the save files forever. It's the sites that were erased from a later in-game saves through technical adjustments because going near them would crash the game, but the inhabitants of those two sites remain in the canon game. This is the reason tonnot encountered
where the sites used to be, because everyone in the two sites survived (unless outright killed in-game) even though where the sites used to be is a pristine land.

Speaking about the "unless otherwise indicated" in the text above.. It's probably time to awaken the historians guild. We've got quite a few of adventurers that never wrote down their stories, and since people are busy with legends anyhow we could start going through them one by one?
I'll need a refresher about what that's all about, I can barely vaguely remember that the Historians Guild existed as a roleplay faction, let alone what we're supposed to do in it.

Maybe add it in a spoiler tag on the main page? I CTRL+F'd "historians" and found nothing.

A number of players have developed an interest in legends browsing, so we have quite some posts with background information on the world these days, which is fine as well, as long as it doesn't spoil player fortresses, or impacts the game too much.
I'll point out my own habits on posting what I find on Legends Browsing. Generally, I'll post anything about anyone from before the beginning of the 8th century (when the Museum was founded) if it doesn't impact current events. I'm more careful on what I post after the 8th century and if it wasn't mentioned in the thread, I post it under spoiler tags if I'm not sure if it counts as a spoiler or not.

Keep in mind the wiki I'm "curator" of as Bralbaard has described, has no policy to protect from spoilers so browse it at your own risk.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:05:24 am by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 02, 2021, 10:29:59 am »

I'll need a refresher about what that's all about, I can barely vaguely remember that the Historians Guild existed as a roleplay faction, let alone what we're supposed to do in it.

Maybe add it in a spoiler tag on the main page? I CTRL+F'd "historians" and found nothing.

These were the rules the last time around, I've edited them slightly because it specifically referred to Cathar's turn at the time, I'd suggest we'd start with ionmatrix (turn 24) because nothing is written about that yet.
If people agree I could set a two week deadline and we could get started?

Rules for the historians guild

We have a number of finished adventures for which the stories have not been written down yet, and for which it is unlikely that this will happen. We had a solution for this in the first museum game: The Historians Guild!
In the current desperate times I'm calling for this guild to come back together.

So what will happen?
Everybody who wants can dive into legends mode, to write your version of the story of the selected adventurer. We might end up with many conflicting versions, but that would be part of the fun. His adventurer might even have survived somewhere, or might have deposited something at the museum.

rules (taken from the original museum game):
1) This is only about telling the history of the selected adventurer's turn, so don't dash of on your own adventures, and post about those, you'll have to wait for your own turn to do that. (you can however search through the museums stacks to see if anything was deposited there, if needed) Try to restrict yourself to legends mode for as much as possible.
2) Everybody can join, you don't have to be on the turn list.
3) No uploading of save games, this will run simultaneously with the main game.
4) You can submit your story/analysis until up to two weeks from this post, it can take any form, art, stories, be creative.

If the player who were investigating decides to return, he can post his official version, and we'll laugh about everything we got wrong.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:32:06 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 262