Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 262

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 407407 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1335 on: December 02, 2021, 10:31:13 am »

I'll need a refresher about what that's all about, I can barely vaguely remember that the Historians Guild existed as a roleplay faction, let alone what we're supposed to do in it.

Maybe add it in a spoiler tag on the main page? I CTRL+F'd "historians" and found nothing.
Since Bralbaard's the one who came up with the idea, I'll quote him from earlier in the thread:

Okay,

So we have a number of finished adventures for which the stories have not been written down yet, and for which it is unlikely that this will happen.
We had a solution for this in the first museum game: The Historians Guild!
In the current desperate times I'm calling for this guild to come back together.

For now this is only about the second part of Cathar's turn because he has already clearly indicated that he will not be able to finish the story himself. In the future it might be used on other missing stories as well, the first post in the topic mentions which stories are still in the process of being written.

So what will happen?
Everybody who wants can dive into legends mode, to write your version of the story of Cathar's adventurer. We might end up with many conflicting versions, but that would be part of the fun. His adventurer might even have survived somewhere, or might have deposited something at the museum. Note that the fist part of the adventure has already been written down by Cathar. (the writing and art is excellent)

rules (taken from the original museum game):
1) This is only about telling the history of Cathar's turn, so don't dash of on your own adventures, and post about those, you'll have to wait for your own turn to do that. (you can however search through the museums stacks to see if anything was deposited there, if needed) Try to restrict yourself to legends mode for as much as possible.
2) Everybody can join, you don't have to be on the turn list.
3) No uploading of save games, this will run simultaneously with the main game.
4) It can take any form, art, stories, be creative.
The TL;DR of it is that if you want to participate in the Historians Guild, you can dig back through Legends Mode and try to reconstruct (typically from an in-universe PoV) what happened during turns where the player never posted the story behind their character's adventures for whatever reason (such as Nogoodnames' writeup of Cathar's turn in this game, or these writups of various unfinished stories).

EDIT: Whoops, ninja'd by the boss himself.

EDIT2: Unrelated, but something looks to have gone funny with one of your early images, Bralbaard.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:33:27 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 02, 2021, 10:39:08 am »

EDIT2: Unrelated, but something looks to have gone funny with one of your early images, Bralbaard.

Believe it or not, it is actually related. (To Ionmatrix turn that is). I uploaded the images in my first posts to some obscure chinese site by their request because of this Chinese fire wall thing. All those links however appear to be breaking down one by one over the last few weeks. I've been replacing broken links and I'll try and see if I still have an image for this one later today.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:41:19 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 02, 2021, 10:48:53 am »

-snip-
If the player who were investigating decides to return, he can post his official version, and we'll laugh about everything we got wrong.
Sounds like a mess, unless I see some good reasons in the future to change my mind, I'm likely not to participate.

Have fun to all who do.

The enslavement bug/feature strikes again.

(He's a giant dingo by the way. Not a giant dingo man, just a giant dingo.)

Spoiler: Click to expand image (click to show/hide)

(Insert "he became what he swore to destroy" jokes here.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:16:53 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 02, 2021, 04:53:59 pm »

The enslavement bug/feature strikes again.

(He's a giant dingo by the way. Not a giant dingo man, just a giant dingo.)

Spoiler: Click to expand image (click to show/hide)

(Insert "he became what he swore to destroy" jokes here.)

Sentient Giant dingo, these humans sure know how to imbue creatures with sentience.

Edit: I raise your Giant dingo beast hunter and give you Troglodyte priest.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 05:12:46 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 02, 2021, 09:40:26 pm »

I noticed a few of them, also a few troll priests. The "fun" part is what I call "semi-civilized" creatures, creatures that just aren't supposed to be civilized, settle down in a town, get scooped up in a religion, are all nice with the neighbors... then go on a rampage (they're not dark creatures, werebeasts, vamps, necros, etc). Then they move to another town, stay low a few years, are all nice with the neighbors... then go on another rampage. Repeat until they die.

The religions don't kick them out, they might even advance them, presumably because they become historical figures with more events, and thus "more important".

Strangely enough, "enslaved" creatures always become fully civilized and never rampage again.

Another thing I've noticed, regarding Puc and Nirmek, is that they start in sewers/catacombs immediately after they start roaming a general region. This seems to be a prerequisite for being enslaved and then civilized, because I've seen no creature that went around fighting/rampaging and then get civilized. On the other hand, I only have a sample of 2 right now.

Sentient Giant dingo, these humans sure know how to imbue creatures with sentience.
A little nitpick, but sentient is most life on Earth, starting with plants. The actual word for civilized is sapience (I blame Star Wars for popularizing the misunderstanding).

Another thing regarding Puc (actual spoiler, though it's easily seen in Legends Viewer) is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Raki sure left some nice stuff behind even with that werebitmammoth plague he spread.

I've been wondering actually, how does a giant dingo worship two gods? Does he just howl at the moon and is acknowledged?

I just saw that Hannibal avenged Lurker Onecbehal. I didn't notice until now.

I found myself randomly browsing giant bats, thinking I'll hit the jackpot with a civilized one. Unfortunately, I found none. However, there seem to have been "failed" enslavement opportunities, with some giant bats starting directly in sewers and thus being eligible to enslavement/civilizing if that settlement had been conquered.

On another note, it's amazing that after almost a century and a half of in-game playthrough and almost 2 years of out-of-game playthrough, we're just starting to scratch the surface on what amazing creatures exist in the history of the world (it probably helps that Bralbaard isn't using Legends Viewer; Legends Mode is way too limited, compounded with the hidden history and these gems are hidden from his eyes). Hells, this might be true for Mudungudon as well, though there it's even worse because Legends Viewer really is as occluded as Legends Mode, so there are countless gems we'll never know about that took place there.

I haven't asked because I thought I could do it by myself, but how do you successfully claim an existing settlement in adventure mode? I didn't find much documentation on the matter, but I've seen in Legends adventurers successfully doing it several time. Do you have to say it to the old Lord/Lady's face, then challenge them? And what of settlements without inhabitants?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:54:17 pm by Lurker Z »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 02, 2021, 11:52:19 pm »

A notification for everyone here: I finally got around to nominating this thread to the hall of legends. Keep up the crazy findings and epic stories!
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 04, 2021, 10:00:24 am »

A notification for everyone here: I finally got around to nominating this thread to the hall of legends. Keep up the crazy findings and epic stories!
Thanks for the nomination, voted, we need 4 more votes if the nominator's vote isn't counted.

Page on 31st Queen Ral is up, looks like she is fairly interesting even if not as much as some of her contemporaries. I haven't checked with that immortality trick, but considering she's not 100 years old yet, she may yet have 50 years of rulership in her.

How is Tobul still alive? He's pushing 150, he's definitely the most ancient of the mortal monarchs. I've been expecting him to fall over dead for decades now.

It'd have been tragically comical if Bralbaard reached him only to remind the game that his time was overdue and Tobul died in the middle of their greeting.

kesperan, how's the game progressing?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 10:03:56 am by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 04, 2021, 11:45:21 am »

I’m making progress. I’d say my adventure is 65% complete.

I might not make a new fortress, or perhaps reclaim my old one.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 04, 2021, 11:47:09 am »

I’m making progress. I’d say my adventure is 65% complete.

I might not make a new fortress, or perhaps reclaim my old one.

Glad to hear it, really looking forward to seeing what you have been up to.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 06, 2021, 06:58:06 pm »

I have completed my adventure and I have unretired Ashcinders to try something. Unfortunately, I only have 12 dwarfs and in two years I have had no caravans and no migrants.

Any suggestions?

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 06, 2021, 08:04:46 pm »

Code: [Select]
migrants-now
Or the hard way, retire again, possess some low-rank historical dwarves from other sites and get them to yours.

It's strange that you had no migrants, Ashcinders is from Adilatír, not from the less populated civ.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 06, 2021, 08:57:11 pm »

Migrants-now did not work, but then I got an organic migrant wave.

I also sent a messenger to the forts around me asking for workers.... two reptile men have turned up eager for work! This should be interesting.

Hope to have the turn finished up by tomorrow!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 07, 2021, 04:42:02 am »

I also sent a messenger to the forts around me asking for workers.... two reptile men have turned up eager for work! This should be interesting.

Oh nice, will be interesting for sure

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 07, 2021, 05:11:28 am »

IIRC migrants-now only works after you get a 'natural' migrant wave, so that might explain why it didn't work. Going to being interesting to see what you've done!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 07, 2021, 10:56:41 am »

If it was in the span of a few in-game days after using the command, migrants-now probably worked. The command doesn't auto-teleport dwarves on your map and it makes it look like a natural wave.

My preciousesssssssss. They're definitely originally from my fort, since I don't think Adilatír had reptile people in its roster before I "civilized" them.
Looking forward to your story and to see what changed in the world!

IIRC migrants-now only works after you get a 'natural' migrant wave, so that might explain why it didn't work. Going to being interesting to see what you've done!
It was a reclaimed formerly-retired fort though, so it's arguable what the command considers the "first" wave.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 262