Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 408778 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2020, 02:04:24 pm »

Nasty stuff you pick up in those cursed ruins.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

On an unrelated note, how are things going Th4dwArfY1? It's been a few days, I'm eager to hear any stories from the post plague world.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

I'll post soon, hah. Time flies.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems someone else already submitted this bug, but I've added a note:
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11536

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Dwarves are a dying ember in this world. Once, our flame burned bright. We scoured our enemies, built great monuments. Now we are scattered and broken, laughed at, confused for short men and freaks.
I am a Shieldtempest. My parents gave me the unique name of Th4DwArfY1, for I was to embody my people. It was a lot to rest on my shoulders. But I tended the family forge and beat glowing hot metal into blades. And I dreamt of glory and the revitalisation of my people.
And now I hear whispers. We are dying in great numbers. There is no future for us. And so I think of my own mortality and determine one thing. I will become a necromancer. My culture will live.
I will live.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I set out without companions. The world is large and terrifying, and I grasp my bronze battle axe frequently. I have some practice in its use. Hopefully it will be enough.
A pack of wolves attacks me in the wild.

I use skills I didn’t know I had. I lunge, parry, dodge. I fight a pack of wolves and destroy them utterly. My hands tremble as I cut off their heads and harvest their meat. I pack a head. The first kill of Th4DwArfY1, soon-to-be-necromancer and saviour of his people.
I travel until I reach my target. Even in my cave home, we’d heard the rumours. A dark tower. The dead walking. A place to learn unfathomable secrets.
It is surrounded by pyramids, but seems eerily silent. I enter from the front. I gasp, seeing a fellow dwarf. He is bright blue. I blink, realising what it is.

The tower is full of such statues. It unnerves me. I find a book on the Mountain Homes and pick it up. The writing is beautiful, and in a Dwarven script. The author is Cog. A fellow dwarf? A precursor to myself? Certainly this tower seems a tribute to my species.
I climb many twisting stair cases, searching maze-like rooms. There are some dead, but they are altogether friendly. And then I find it. In the highest room of the tallest turret, sitting on a plain table. Shoselostar. A silver slab. Beautiful. I pick it up and read it, and it is like my eyes are opened for the first time.
I move down the stairs again. The slab is heavy, but I drag it behind me, my smithing muscles bulging.
Then I see her. A beautiful Dwarf dressed in faded clothes. “Cog?” I say, and she inclines her head. She is my height.

“You have read the secrets?” the Necromancer asks, nodding to the fallen slab. I incline my head. “Let me show you their power, friend.”
She gestures, and I feel a movement in my bag. Despite myself I yelp and drop it. A wolf’s head rolls out, snarling and rocking side to side. I step back, then lean forward. True power. A way to shape the world.

I grin, but as her hand falls to her side I see something. I frown, focusing on it. I blink. “What is that?” I say.
“Nothing,” she replies. She is smiling at me. I nod but step forward.
“I’ve never seen nothing before. I’d like to see it now.” She frowns, but I do not move. She sighs and lifts her arm.
“I was just putting it into storage,” she says, glancing away.

I step back. “Is that… is –”
“Yes,” she says. “It is. So what? You are a necromancer, now. You will learn the way.”
“Never,” I snarl. She frowns and shrugs, pouting.
“Well, there’s nothing to be done now, is there?” she says. I shake my head.
“I can think of one thing,” I say.

She fought well, but not well enough. I pick up her fallen sword, admiring its craft. I am an axe dwarf, but when one of the heirlooms of my people comes into my possession…
I strap it to my back and leave the tower, new sword a comfortable weight on my back. I wish to see my people once more. I will find one of the new fortresses. Maybe I will dwell there, immortal, eternal. Sharing the culture of the dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:13:22 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

I can see it now. A place for the peaceful undead to reside, away from the world, to rest until they are needed...

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

How's your turn doing, Th4dwArfY1? Would be excellent to hear how the world's newest Necromancer is getting on.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's been a week by this point, so hopefully he can wrap it up soon.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies for the delay. I'd aimed for wrapping it up days ago, but something - work, often - got in my way.

I travel North, through the Kindled Jungles. Nestled against white-tipped mountains is one of the forts of my people. I gasp. I had lived in a cave all my life. We had been like the kobolds of old, scratching in the dark. This structure rose from the earth in two columns, one seemingly unfinished.

I enter at the trade depot, stepping over fallen wares. Directly through the gate was a refuse stockpile.

Finding my fingers twitching, I remember Cog's words. I would get used to it, she’d said. My new power built in me, built until I could feel it like a second skin. But it found nothing to latch onto. The minotaur did not rise. Its skeletal form mocked me.

I make new allies in the dark halls beneath. Those who yearn, as I do, to spread and preserve our culture.

The place is full of magnetite, and farms flourish beneath the surface. I am restless. It’s perfect to settle in, to harbour the flame of Dwarven civilization. But I remember how my fingers itched to raise the dead.

Could it be that I’ve gone too far?

Days pass. I pick up two other companions, faithful adherents to my cultural mission. We leave, heading south again. Returning to the Tower. I have picked up a horse, and I wish to collect the slab. By examining it, perhaps I can learn control.

But it is gone. I search the tower, top to bottom, but can not find it. We leave, my confusion mounting.

We travel for days in the wastes, looking for word of necromancers or undead. Other towers exist, apparently, but I want my own slab back. I feel attached to it.

We arrive at a fortress, possibly human. I do not get to see. Outside its walls, feet from safety, a blade strikes my horse. I leap off, spinning, Ikal Obok drawn. But there is no enemy. Blows land among my companions. I charge with my horse, feel contact and hear a gust of exhaled air.

But I see nothing. A new magic? Invisibility?

I hear my allies screaming. Blood wells from sudden blows. They seem to see the threat, and parry phantom attacks. But I can only watch as they are struck down.
Even my horse, useful in charging the enemy, is killed.

I try raising the corpses, but they only attack my last surviving ally. I shout for help, but the fortress remains silent. It is untenable. I am a necromancer. I have conquered death. I… I decide to run. But I can hear… SOMETHING behind me, gaining on me.

There is a searing pain. Then… then the blade is sticking through my chest. I see it, for a second. Bronze and sharp as steel. It’s in my heart for a second, then pulled out. I stumble some steps, then collapse. I crawl, hand outstretched to the fortress. Something begins severing my limbs. For an instant, I am oblivious to the pain. And then it crashes down at once, like a wave on the beach.

I see, as in a vision, a gleaming fortress. Dwarves walk in its halls. Mead flows from flagons. I feel I am surrounded by friends and kinsmen. My mother, no longer lying on a pallet in a cave, sits on an oaken bench. There is singing.

I do not see the bronze blade rise over my neck. I do not see it fall. I die with a smile on my lips.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:50:43 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Nice write-up! I have yet to encounter any of those ghouls since they were added, outside of dark stalkers that visited my fortress. Shame you didn't make it to the museum. How many adventurers have actually made it thus far?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Your second-to-last image is a duplicate. Nice write-up! Shame about your death, though...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not see the bronze blade rise over my neck. I do not see it fall. I die with a smile on my lips.

Ouch! that is harsh. So this was effectively the bug where sneaking opponents can not be detected?
Still, great adventure. It will be remembered even without a museum submission.

Could you upload the save game so that the next person can get started?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was. I did discover that charging horses will collide with sneaking enemies, so that's perhaps a method to employ.

Also, yes. The save game. That strikes me as important. I'm uploading it atm. Will edit it in when done.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15068

Also, add me to the list, if you would!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:41:33 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Playing!

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Quick Steppes is a busy land.

Hamlets and castles, forts and ruins: humanity has made its presence felt on these plains. By every hamlet a monastery may be found, dedicated to one of the many gods humans call their own. Some of these monasteries hum with activity yet-- some do not.

We turn now to a monastery long abandoned by its original owners.

By a legal technicality, it so happens that this particular monastery now stands under the control of that ancient and mysterious people, The Walled Dye! Three living souls call it home at this time: a man (the self-designated "chieftain"), a dwarf, and a donkey.

To the human, Voiceorgan is a rather uninteresting fiefdom. The donkey (it may be assumed) is of a similar mind.
To the dwarf, Voiceorgan has been a sacred training ground towards the ancient martial practices of his forefathers.

Let us see now what unfolds when a beggarly digbeard elects to pursue the ways of Kisat Dur.

((And we're off!))
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:55:44 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 263