Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409591 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was. I did discover that charging horses will collide with sneaking enemies, so that's perhaps a method to employ.

According to legends mode you managed to kill one of them, so yes it works. If however, I find myself on a horse in a similar situation, I'll make sure to flee as fast as the horse can carry me.

I have added you for another turn. 

By a legal technicality, it so happens that this particular monastery now stands under the control of that ancient and mysterious people, The Walled Dye!

:) awesome, looking forward to more.
Also, in other news: 10.000 goblins died.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:26:06 pm by Bralbaard »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2020, 03:30:42 pm »

*Looks at hands*

I do not remember doing this.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2020, 04:00:40 pm »

I thought world-ending scenarios were supposed to come in a later update :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2020, 04:22:56 pm »

This game is a fascinating experiment in what happens when you save and reload the game hundreds of times.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2020, 03:37:00 am »

This game is a fascinating experiment in what happens when you save and reload the game hundreds of times.
Agreed.  I wonder if using error trapping methodologies while programming the new Steam DF will help to prevent the entropy creep in save game files?  In the old play by email ganes like Space Empires, turns would be sent out from a host game as save files and reuploaded each "turn" to play simultaneously on the host computer. Back then, there were no differences in the program. Any one of them could be used to set up the turns.  What was often hilarious was the emulation of "simultaneous movement": each one of the save files returned to the "host" would have a calendar of moves: 1 2 3 4 5...ect, and each move would be done in a quick round robin on the Host computer before advancing to the next "tick".  Sometimes getting results could take days of the computer just sitting there crunching turns.  Sometimes there were options for "reflex" actions: A given entity in the game would "do nothing" for a series of steps, "reserving" them for a specific action to be accomplished "reflexively" if the conditions were met.  It gave each game turn a deep branching set of possible end states each turn,  which was marvelous to discover waiting for you in the e-mail when the next turn was sent out. Obviously, there were "play by mail" games where each turn was tabulated by human referees instead of a computer.  It was the same process, but mind dullingly dull for the referee unless they were a grognard and that keen about the inner workings of the game.  Similar to forum games like "The Museum", games often lasted years.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2020, 04:39:22 am »

Space empires IV! that brings back memories, even though I never got into multiplayer games.

In the original museum game we had 75 player turns, and 37 (!!) fortresses were created in the world. That probably was one of the most extensive stress tests of a DF world that was ever performed.

I do wonder if future versions of the game will be save game compatible. I'm afraid not, as toady is rewriting significant parts of the game engine to incorporate graphics, but we will see.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2020, 12:23:37 pm »

We really lucked out with the compatibility of DF 2014/0.4x, that's for sure. I still have hope that the graphical version will be compatible, but it does seem a little unlikely.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »

Before embarking on his journey, the practitioner first seeks to obtain information of potential scholarly targets from his human compatriot.

The practitioner deems the beasts described... rather ill suited to his current skillset.

The practitioner breaks conversation

and sets off for the open plains, beloved beast of burden bundled behind.

Perhaps the local villagefolk will have words more fruitful.

((Alliteration!))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2020, 01:02:31 pm »

Not one to waste time with peasantly folk, the practitioner makes his way directly to the seat of the village.

The practitioner makes his way within, and soon discovers the place to be occupied not by men--
Spoiler: --but by goblins! (click to show/hide)

A goblin is quick to challenge him. A squat sort of creature, with indigo hair and a curious knife at her belt.

Honesty is valued among the mountain's children. The practitioner speaks with truth.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2020, 01:49:29 pm »

The goblin opens with a diagonal southwest charge

drawing within striking distance of the practitioner.

Expecting a knife blow, the practitioner employs a preemptive variant of Sodel Ar

thus attaining control of the offending weapon.

The goblin's blind charge becomes a panicked run. The practitioner crouches for a jump.

Thus, a Korumid Abod form is attained--

The goblin is stunned. The practitioner is not.

The goblin is unconscious.

The practitioner briefly considers leaving his fallen foe in peace.

...briefly.

((no lie, I was gonna let the thing live until I remembered I'd taken "merciless" as a personality trait.  :-X ))

klonk
Sigtext

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2020, 01:19:05 am »

((no lie, I was gonna let the thing live until I remembered I'd taken "merciless" as a personality trait.  :-X ))
Too bad for the goblin that you did not pick poor memory as a trait.

I have also uploaded a new version of the map. I had failed to notice earlier that Th4dwArfY1 had build a fortress.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2020, 08:15:27 pm »

The practitioner sights and approaches a wandering speargoblin.

Unless there is no doubt of hostility, it is improper to engage an opponent unwares. The practitioner calls a greeting.

The practitioner readies himself for combat-- when suddenly, the donkey Ilral makes a charge.

At a loss, the practitioner gives chase...

By the time the practitioner is within range, there's little fight left to be fought.

No fight at all, in fact.

klonk
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2020, 02:38:49 pm »

hooves are no joke

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2020, 03:19:42 am »

How are things going Superdorf?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2020, 08:31:36 am »

Good question.
Superdorf, it has been a week since you picked up the save game. Could you try to finish and upload the save game? It is fine if you post updates later because those take time to write.
It is also possible to retire your adventurer somewhere and continue from there if you subscribe for a second turn.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 263