Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409189 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2020, 02:24:13 pm »

I checked with bloop_bleep through pm two days ago because there were problems with dffd. He said he had the save, and I assume he is playing.
I will update the turn list

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2020, 06:03:57 pm »

Well' I see my turn is approaching fast and I'm afraid I won't be able to play it this week due to real life getting in the way; if you could move me down a spot' I'd be very grateful' I should have mostly everything sorted out by then.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2020, 10:36:51 pm »

I swear to do my part to see this game run until the nemesis unit load error shuts it down completely.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2020, 10:32:30 am »

bloob_bleep, could you upload the save game? It has been a week. You can post the story later, like others have done.

Edit: I've moved Yarlig one spot down.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:51:33 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2020, 04:43:00 am »

OK, we'll move on.

That means it's my second turn! Booting up the game now to see how my old character is doing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:45:25 am by Bralbaard »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2020, 05:34:03 am »

Ooh! How much time has passed? I'm sure they're alive and well! Maybe. . .
I've lost control of my life.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2020, 09:30:10 am »

It has been over a dozen years since the museum was founded. You might be wondering what I have been up to since then. Well, a lot has changed and I’ll try to give a short summary. After the founding of the museum it only took a few weeks before I was recalled to the capital, by order of king Etur himself.
It turns out the king is greatly interested in our little endeavor. When I arrived in Treatyseed, he immediately elevated me into nobility and made me a baron! Since then he has done the same for all the other adventurers from The Walled Dye that submitted items to the museum:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do not know how citizens of other civilizations were treated when they arrived back home, but I have lived a life in luxury ever since. Of course the title is mostly ceremonial. There are far more barons than actual baronies, as our civilization only occupies a handful of sites. I may not have an actual barony to rule over, but at least they got an artist to paint my picture for the gallery:

So what else happened?  There’s talk in the corridors that our civilisation is in open war with a lot of our neighbors, but besides the perpetual goblin fights in the deeper levels of the fortress, I’ve never noticed much of it. Whenever I visit those levels, there are always fresh goblin corpses piled up in the hallways. There’s positive news as well: King Etur got married to Domas Kilrudetur. She’s known to be drunk a lot, but she’s a good woman, and there’s a good chance we’ll have an heir soon.

So that means you are up to date. You might wonder why I have started writing in my journal again. Well, over the last few weeks I’ve come to realize that I haven’t been outside the fortress for far too long. In fact I have been far too distracted by all this nobility nonsense, and have been paying far too little attention to my job as a historian. It would be good to pay the museum a visit, to see if there are any interesting recent additions.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2020, 10:22:11 am »

That's interesting, coincidental even? That they all became barons no less! As a side note the portrait is top notch!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 28, 2020, 05:19:36 pm »

The journey was a trip down memory lane. I spend the first night in Humorsharks. This village had just been resettled when I last visited, a dozen years ago. I was happy to see the village was still doing well.
On the second day of my journey I made it all the way to Rockpriced. This village was still in ruins, but  some humans managed to survive between the half collapsed houses.  They offered me to stay for lunch, (we arrived around noon), and in return I told them some stories about the museum. One of them, a woman named Tishak Sprayglistened was so impressed that she offered to join me on my journey, which I gladly accepted. 

Before nightfall we made it to the Mountain of Enchantment, the volcano that overlooks the whole valley floor. I was determined to show Tishak some of the great sites during our journey, but before we reached the lava lake we were attacked by wolves. It turns out Tishak is able to handle herself well with a crossbow. We easily defeated the wolves. We set up camp and roasted some wolf meat above the magma lake.

On the 27th of Timber, 712, made it to Diptramples. This brought back more memories: when I had just set out on my first adventure I was attacked and nearly killed by two goblins at the keep in this town. Now, prepared and with over a decade more experience, I decided to revisit the keep. There was a single goblin there who identified himself as Snodub Gloomjackal, the local bandit leader,  before he attacked us. He was clumsy and charged right for Tishab, which meant that I could attack him from behind. The battle was short and one-sided.

I did not want to travel straigth to the museum, because I had heard rumours about a new dwarven settlement not far from Boltspumpkin andI wanted to visit this place first. This mysterious settlement is known as Healerlashes, and apparently, was founded only months ago by a group of dwarves. The strange thing is that I never heard anything about an embark team leaving for this location from Treatyseed.
The Settlement was still small as the dwarves had only just arrived. It had been constructed over the road to Diptramples, and was surrounded by a crude wooden wall, that had not been completely finished. We could easily enter:

Below ground the first halls at been dug out, and several exploratory mining shafts had been dug in different directions. At first the place looked abandoned, but when I entered the main hall I saw the first of the inhabitants. Glad to see another dwarf, I raised my voice and greeted him, he turned around and…

I was shocked.

This was no ordinary dwarf. He looked completely different from all dwarves I had ever known. His skin was a strange pinkish color, and his hair was pale taupe, possibly adaptations from living deep underground. Within seconds other, similar looking dwarves sped towards us from the side tunnels. They spoke with a strange accent, but we could understand each other.

Yes, dear reader of this journal. It seems like history needs to be rewritten for what these dwarves told me, was that they were from the dwarven civilisation of Nomal Alis, the Staff of Kissing. The rest of the world had thought they went extinct shortly after the dawn of time in the year 38, but here they were seven survivors, there was no doubt about it.

As you can note in this drawing, the differences between our races are clear. I was always a bit of an odd one out for our race because I’m not from Treatyseed itself, but all of the dwarves in the capital have burnt sienna hair, and like me, copper skin. Also, 99% are nobles which do nothing but drink all day. The dwarves of Nomal Alis could not look more different:

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2020, 07:53:07 pm »

Have to say, I'm loving the character you put into your illustrations. There's such life about them! :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2020, 06:29:00 am »

Makes me want to accompany mine with awful MS Paint depictions. Hehehe.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2020, 12:45:23 pm »

Upping the ante I see.  Derp.  I'll really have to do better than my last foray.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2020, 08:18:28 pm »

Loving the updates, loving the art! Haven’t been keeping up with this as closely recently, but with my turn coming up, I hope to keep a closer eye on this until then.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 01, 2020, 02:05:05 pm »

I was still shocked by the events of the last day, the fact that there was a second dwarven civilisation that had survived the horrors of the past centuries would change everything. When talking to the dwarves, I found out that Healerlashes was not their only recent settlement. They told me another dwarven group had embarked further south in the Tundra of Heroes in a place named Stockadeoutrage.
In my head I was already plotting the route I should take to Stockadeoutrage, but first I decided to take some time to properly explore Healerlashes.
Honestly I was not expecting to run into more surprises, but when I came back to the surface, I saw a familiar face:

It was Mestthos Lovermachines! The horse I bought over a decade ago, when I was preparing for my first adventure! The damned beast had ran of before I could properly embark on my quest and I had never seen it again, and here it was, living with these strange dwarves. It had apparently already become friends with my travelling companion Tishak, who was petting it gently.

For the first time in my life I wished I was a pointy eared elf! For if I was I would be able to speak the language of animals. Oh I would have loved to hear Lovermachines tell about its exploits and adventures! We saddled the horse, and I figured that because these dwarves had apparently borrowed Lovermachines for possibly a decade or more, I could borrow some of their equipment for a limited time. I took the steel anvil the dwarves had brought. I want to know more about their metalcrafting skills and I will run some tests after I finish my current quests. I swear I will return it afterwards.

Tishak and me continued our journey and deposited the anvil at the museum, it will be the safest place to keep it.
The damned goblins did not allow us to sleep in the museum so we set up camp right in front of the doors to the castle instead, and of course we were attacked by dingoes. Lovermachines may be an old horse, but she definitely knew how to deal with dingo’s, trampling several of them. It was a rather gruesome massacre, and I had trouble sleeping after this. 

The journey to Stockadeoutrage.
It took us from the 28th of Timber to the 3th of Moonstone to reach Stockadeoutrage. We travelled to Inchedtwists, a village surrounded by goblin towers, but also through Growlsuppers where we spend the  night in a ruined tavern. We learned that the goblin Lawgiver Kedir Judgebuckle the Whirling rules from this town, but we did not investigate this further.

The nights grew colder and finally we entered the Tundra of Heroes. The dwarves from Healerlashes had told us what to look for and on the sixth day we saw a collumn of yellow smoke rise from the Tundra, this was smoke from the volcano, we had made it to Stockadeoutrage!

3th of moonstone:
We ended up arriving from the wrong side of the fortress, and first ran into a number of other visitors and adventurers that told us they had also heard rumors about this place. While walking around the mountain we came across the remains of several undead.

The other adventurers here told us these were soldiers of Aba, scaly humanoids with black skin and thin wings of stretched skin. Not much later We ran into several dead dwarves. The Aba soldier corpses outnumber the dwarves but this did not ease my mind, and  I exchanged a glance with Tishak: it was deeply concerning that nobody had come to give these dwarves a decent burial.

We finally had come to the other side of the mountain and there it was; the entrance to the fortress:

The mighty entrance road was covered in knee-deep snow, but it was still clearly marked  by deep pits. The road ended at a large drawbridge over a deep magma moat, that must be fed by the volcano that towers over the site. Smoke and steam billowed from the pits and moat. The entrance hall was however unguarded and the door was open. I entered and wished I had not, it was a terrible scene.
The central hall was filled with the frozen corpses of dozens, maybe hundreds of dwarves. Their bodies had been preserved and frozen solid by the terrible cold that plagues these lands. There were no bitemarks, no wounds that pointed at the use of axes or swords. I could only conclude they were killed by blunt force, by some terrible unseen foe. That was when we saw the first living dwarves. Their looks betrayed that they indeed belonged to the same tribe as the dwarves from Healerlashes, but their eyes were full of fear and sorrow.

What.. What happened here? Was all I could say.

The survivors spoke, clearly still traumatized. They told us none of them knew how it started, or where it came from. There were so few survivors. But they knew what it was and had a name for it: Crazedburial the reclusive, a massive undead muskox. The beast had charged into the fortress and had trampled all those that had not fled. 73 dwarves were killed that day, and several pets. The fortress had been a disorganised mess ever since.

The general Stukos Flaxentorches was still among the survivors, but after his utter failure to defend the fortress (or die a glorious death) the man can now only be described as a wreck. There are several others, but most are heavily traumatized. One dwarf, Beri Alron Moss Pickvessels, is a bit more talkative and tells me that their monarch, señam diamondtangles had moved in just before the disaster, and had gone missing. She was sure the monarch was not among the dead.

The journey north.
We decide to leave this fallen fortress as soon as possible. The fact that these dwarves can live here without even properly burying all these dead sends shivers down my spine. I decide that we should travel to the ancient capital of the Staff of kissing, hoping that we can at least find their runaway monarch.
The journey was long and dangerous and I’ve only kept short notes as the events were numerous but of little historical relevance. Our travels took us through lands held by priests of the God of Blight, Ura, and we were even attacked by a crazy lone goblin. There were several attacks by wolves on other occasions. We all came out unharmed. 
At some point we spend the night in the tower of Farmpuzzling, an ancient necromancer site that was described in some of the journals that can be found in the museum. When we wake up in the morning my horse Lovermachines, was gone again, it must have run of towards another adventure. 
We spend about ten days travelling like this, with our goal drawing closer and closer.

11th of moonstone.
Today we  had another remarkable encounter. In a fortress that was held by the local warlord Ecen Cherishcradles we ran into a legendary swordsman known as Kem Skinnydeaths. When he hears we come from the museum he tells us to our great surprise that he used to be a travelling companion of Bill Hammertome the Fierce Spots of Crystal (Emilovich).

The Bill Hammertome, who killed Oddom Girdergrove! Girdergrove was  the necromancer that plunged the world into darkness, and with her gone the world can start rebuilding. I’ve met Hammertome a couple of times in treatyseed, and I tell Kem that his former companion is still alive and that he is now a Baron of the Walled Dye. Kem Skinnydeaths tells us many great tales about his former master, and tells us he would be happy to join us on a new adventure, as he longs for those old days. We happily agree, we can certainly use a legendary swordmaster in our party.

12th of moonstone.
We have arrived to the town of Icenseorder, and are in good spirits even though the city, which is surrounded by goblin towers is somewhat sinister looking. Kem knows many interesting facts about Oddom Girdergrove and the other necromancers that Bill has defeated, which is of great interest for my historical studies, and Kem seems genuinely interested in our stories about the museum, and its more recent additions. I want to visit the keep of this city to see if we can get some further information on the surroundings before we continue, and will make sure to write down any interesting notes.

------------

Here the handwriting in the journal suddenly changes:

I am sorry to have to tell you that Bralbaard did not make it. He wanted to go chat with the nobles, which has never been my strong point, so Tishak and I were going to wait outside the keep. He also left his bagage with us, which is why I am able to write this.

Just moments after Bralbaard entered the keep it happened. A truly massive demon broke out of the castle, shattering the doors and walls. It must have been hiding in the keep by some dark magic. The thing was enormous, with a neck and tail both the length of a guard tower, and legs the size of highwood trunks. It opened its mouth and liquid fire poored out, engulfing the entire entrance in a deadly blaze.

Bralbaard was still inside, and the monster charged back in through the destroyed entrance. I swear I tried to go after him, but the fire at the entrance was too intense, there was just no way to enter. Inside the battle raged for minutes, but Bralbaard never made it out.

I am deeply sorry we could not prevent this, all I could do was to bring his journal here, to the museum, so that others can read his stories.

Kem Skinnydeaths

Bralbaard trying to flee from the monster through the central staircase:

So I did not make it, but at least I dropped that anvil in the museum somewhere half way my adventure, so there is a submission.

Here is the save game for the end of my turn:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15131

The map has been updated with a new fortress, Razorbridge.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:17:55 am by Bralbaard »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:44 pm »

Sigh...

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15132

So' there was quite an unfortunate incident involving a cave dragon' two copper carving knives and remarkably ill-advised bravery. I can't into fortress mode' so let's press on. I need some time to do a proper writeup' but it's gonna be here soon.

Also' good luck!
Also also' put me on the list again please' maybe next time I'll have a more storied adventure.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 263