Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 407928 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2850 on: January 31, 2023, 07:50:17 pm »

The scorpion king in a performance troupe? I imagine he'll be fun at parties, or at least that his crowd will be too scared to not applaud.

He is a legendary dancer
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: January 31, 2023, 09:23:39 pm »

I've found that adventurers tend to be really good at dancing, because the skill is so dependent on physical attributes.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 01, 2023, 03:16:09 am »

To be fair, the evil scorpion menace is legendary at almost everything…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: February 02, 2023, 06:53:20 pm »

A loose collection of logs

Six years since I retired here, to think we are finally ready to go out and perform to the world, it seems the world is doing well. The dwarves of the south are pushing the known receiver back and they are being whittled down. Might not survive the 10th century.

The Armored Confederacy government has been rebuilt under lawgiver Kudpa currently married and living in Sacklures. We head out for good venues. Onwards we go.

I spotted something in the distance during the night, a humanoid figure. Afe was long asleep when they approached. Whilst concealed they were obviously human. I inquired about their name and they told me they were Kas. We spoke briefly, I shared the news of the world seeming to get better. Everything is on the up. He was much like myself, a warrior of wars traveling Orid Xem. The news he shared with me was troubling, warnings of goblins repopulating quicker than ever, the blight running rampant, the elves dying out mysteriously. It’s shocking to learn that the state of the world is still in flux. My absence during a quieter period I might have been able to stave it off. A few more conquests through the pits. He told me of a rotten dwarf setting up in a dwarven fortress nearby, a town of the underground where humans hid secrets and of the beast long forgotten and their powers to enhance oneself. It was fascinating, he must be talking of that walking rot on a skeleton Moldath, he might have written about roastfierce, more secrets within a town i didn’t understand and the powers of a forgotten beast. I wanted to ask more but he was already walking away from the campfire.

What Kaz has said has been flooding my mind, i need to see what he said was true, consulting our map. The nearest two were Balancehammer and Northmanor. We are going to head to Balancehammer, I convinced Afe that a large fort would certainly attract a loud crowd.

No sign of him in Balancehammer. Just need to check Northmanor to assure myself that he isn’t here.

He was right, the blind sadist must have been here, the library was barren until I came across a strange, interesting tower. Sure enough lavish accommodation and decorations that scream; Ala worshiping dwarf. There were three books upon the pedestal, the first two were useless but the third, he had detailed secrets of Roastfiere, the missing link. It will all come together, I know it all. I have much more to research, lifetimes of mastery of these links, rituals, spells and knowledge. It floods my mind. I headed to leave his tower before I stopped. While we are on different paths we are both adventurers of the museum and for what it's worth he had helped kill many goblins. Besides, someone else with all twelve secrets might find more knowledge that I can learn. I leave a note detailing the location of the slab in Lawtaker upon a pedestal. I take my leave and inform Afe that the dwarves of Northmanor don’t want to see us perform.

That night I was consumed by these new ideas and new thoughts. I have a greater understanding of it all and yet I have only begun my journey. A campfire in the distance peaks my interest as I head over to investigate. A dwarf, she was adorned in cobbled together shoddy armor but equipped with such a fine blade, she was an administrator and didn’t disclose why she was traveling but was open to trade. I offered the artifact steel blowgun The Obeisant Growl-league for it and she accepted. This masterwork of adamantine, such a fine blade, truly made of dwarven hands. Quicki, light and well balanced this shall do nicely.

I asked Afe to wait, although I don't think I'm gonna return, I need to cull every small pit around here, push them back into their four megapits and then continue my decimation of The Most Sin. Each pit is reclaimed in honor of the elfs, they are going extinct as the goblins continue their expansion in the north.

The blight is still present, more infected within the pits, nothing Wanningmoon cannot handle, cuts through them like butter.

Panic must be setting in for them, entire pits empty and reclaimed, they have resumed sending raiding parties to attack me but they continue to fail.

I'm heading south, The Known Deceiver are at their weakest and I might be able to eliminate the southern goblins for good. As for the most Sin, I alone struggle as my dents are undone in a matter of years. I need help.

This town is strange, the citizens of the world below are fascinating. There is a temple with statues that float, held up by some form of magic. I must learn more.

Goblins, even here i cannot escape them, see them dragging a corpse towards the sewers, i need to find out what they are doing.

The sewers are a mass grave, hundreds of skeletons litter the place, parts of it even entering an ancient tomb. The majority of them are the underground races of reptile, olm and cave fish alike. Its my chance, it won’t go wrong this time. I have all the knowledge and understanding.

Hundreds of skeletons and corpses arise as intelligent undead, most of them so ancient they are blank slates unable to retain a basic semblance of who they once were. This town will flourish and grow.

The pits are decimated and then word of a beast long forgotten, roaming the halls of an old fortress. This is my chance, more power. A blessing from the power of an ancient one.

I slayed the creature, its dust coats my chitin as I feast upon its blood, I haul it towards the surface as my eyes begin to cloud, I lose the sensation of touch. I have surpassed this mortal sight that burdened my studies, it held me back. I see with new eyes.

Before the end of my journey I had to check a few things out, I finally explored hell. The demons were certainly tough but their blood tasted so rich and flavorful it was practically intoxicating.

The once harsh tundra is nothing to me, I return to my tower. New ideas flow from my mind, the world knows not of death. I have been so blind in my hate and aversion of death I had denied my part as a weapon of death, slaying immortal souls who knew not of their wrath. Was this why Moldath gave me the hammer? Did he know?

It doesn’t matter anymore, I have come to embrace it. I am one of the twelve aspects of death that will keep the world of Orid Xem from Stagnating. I already have plans in motion, I have stirred up quite a war and in the name of the elfs no less. I wonder how The Most Sin will retaliate. Of Course i cannot forget The Walled Dye. Falsetower was my project, pulling strings in the shadows, paying off the right dwarves and removing the ones that got in the way. So glad I can finally return to using my name, no need to hide who I am. Given as the last bark scorpion it's a wonder how the dwarves would continue to be fooled by the same old trick. Now with my lords in place, this shall get a lot more interesting.

Praise be Kas Bannershocked, holy creator of Stabbedwring and the highly elusive Roastfiere. May the wars sate your almighty hunger
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 06:54:53 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: February 03, 2023, 08:28:10 am »

All 12 secrets! It is without doubt that the world had not been the same without the Scorpion King, I wonder what he will be up to next. Was there a museum submission?

---

Here is the first entry of my story.
For context, the story of Bralbaard continues from where Maloy’s story ended. Maloy had searched the world for the many missing parts of Bralbaard’s corpse and performed dark magic to forge the pieces together, thereby infusing it with a terrible corruption. The result was an undead monstrosity made out of Bralbaard’s original right hand and some other bits and pieces, most importantly a part corrupted by a certain demon. Due to some misfortune this new form is missing it’s new left hand (it has been submitted to the museum). Large parts of Bralbaard’s original body are unaccounted for and are thought to roam the wilderness somewhere in undead form. 

The story continues with the discovery of a new book, written by the once respected historian. The title is cause for concern. Will you open it?

The Secrets of Life and Death
by Bralbaard Hammerfishes

Preface

Fool.
You should have known better than to open this book.
You should have known better to read beyond the title.
What were you looking for?
Power?
Immortality?
What made you think you were ready for the consequences?
You have crossed the line and now there is no turning back.
There will only be regret.

Regret on how the secrets that were promised to you are all terribly wrong.
Yes, many authors have claimed to have put the secrets to paper. But the secrets, in all their forms, are the greatest lie ever told. They certainly have nothing to do with Life. They also have nothing to do with what Death should be. Death should be a peaceful state reached at the end of Life, with no more strife or suffering. An acceptable end.
The secrets corrupt this into a horrible nightmare, Necromancers only corrupt Life and Death, spreading terrible afflictions and suffering. They have never understood the true mysteries, what they are really about, why Life and Death exist, why they matter, how they are balanced.
Those that wield the secrets are not blessed by divine power, no they are deeply cursed.
Necromancy is a corruption, a disease, a cancer on this world.
The claim “the secrets of Life” is the most blasphemous of all.

Surprised to read this opinion in a book on Life and Death?
Have I planted a seed of doubt, some hope within you that this book will not contain these secrets? That your soul might escape eternal damnation?
No. It is too late to pull your eyes away; you are condemned to read these pages, and absorb the curses within, as with al books on necromancy. You have already crossed the line.

You are at the mercy of the author. 
An author that is himself cursed and corrupted to the bone.
Yes, long have I fought against reading and understanding the secrets myself, but that time is gone now.
I have died countless times, becoming more corrupted with each passing, and my last passing will be my undoing.
Maloy the Moonlit Fox. I can not blame him, but his name is bound to my fate, and to yours, dear reader. Maloy suffered from his own curses, including one linked to me: My ear, with a demons corruption cast upon it. It should not have been his curse to bear, but he poor brave wolf-man did, and only when he could no longer carry it, he threw the curse back at me.

The Demon. Pis Meadowshaft the Mucuses of Raunch. It has reached me, become part of me when Maloy raised me from death once more. It’s corruption tainting my shattered mind. There is no hope now, the only path forward is the secrets. I NEED them to avoid being taken by the demon. One doom to avoid another.

This will not be a cursory glance at the secrets, that will not be enough to stop Pis.
I do not know how it will end, but I will find the secrets, and you, dear reader, have signed up to suffer this doom with me, let us pray it is not as bad as the one we are trying to avoid.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:41:58 pm by Bralbaard »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: February 03, 2023, 01:11:34 pm »

@ Avolition's entry
I love how Moldath and Avolition seem to have this relationship of being grizzled old veterans who don't like each other, but don't hate each other

got that bond of respect forged from living way too long and seeing way too much

I'm curious what you'll be up to from here now that you've achieved your lofty goal! I wonder how the completion of yours plays into bral's new goal.

Also the elf thing is why I made Arthur and Mirai elves. I noticed that even if their culture is making a comeback the species isn't. The religion is also almost all gone. Most forest retreats didn't even permit me to select it and thus I had to be very choosy on one where the two elves could have it, and therefore preserve it.

@bralbaard's entry

I've been hyped for your turn since mine ended lol the many hours I put into reassembling your character has seriously engaged me in your story

It's neat seeing how the curse is incorporated in the story. A sort of halted blending of personalities! Really curious how the secrets will play a role in it.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: February 03, 2023, 01:50:42 pm »

Chapter I: A maze of broken bodies

After being experimented upon, murdered and then raised again as a hollow zombie by Maloy, I found myself naked and abandoned at the monastery of Couragespray. The only thing I had was the glove I was wearing when I had been reduced to being just a right hand. I was in a more complete body now, but a lot of things were terribly wrong.

It was not just the headache that reminded me of the battle for control of my mind with the demon. The final outcome was undecided, but the first round won by Pis. my mind was truly broken now, the demon controlled part of it, I only had control of what remained. I could not remember the most basic things. All the skills I had learned in life, or should I say death, the things I loved, liked and hated, those parts of my mind were just gone. I could remember I was a dwarf, but details escaped me. And the demon was still lurking there in the dark places of my mind, I could hear it’s laughter.

Worse, I could not trust the few memories that I still had access to. I was going mad. I distinctly remember my left hand being cut of after Maloy raised me from death again, I even remember the wolf man squeeling that he’d submit it to the museum. But then, here I was with both hands firmly attached, in another undead body. The axe that I remember he gave me to fight the demon was not there either, I was sure it did give me the strength to drive the demon from my current form, but it was gone without explanation.  I also vividly remember running to incenseorder where Maloy lives, to ask an explanation, to asks for help, an apology, anything. But when I entered the keep where the demon killed me centuries ago, and opened my mouth to speak to Maloy, the world fell apart around me and I was thrown back in time, back to this cursed monastery. Nothing makes sense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not only does the demon control most of my mind, in a way it also controls most of my body. My current body was made from my right hand and some bits and pieces, but the majority of my body was lost long ago. I still had a spiritual connection to it, and know the demon has taken it. It is out there, hunting for me, both in the flesh, and from the dark corners of my own mind.

I contemplated traveling to Incenseorder to confront Maloy again, but concluded that it would achieve nothing, there was no time. The situation was hopeless.  But then another plan formed in what was left of my mind, one that would include the secrets, and the tower of Eldergraves.

I would have to travel far, but I first decided to stop by at the museum, to check if my left hand was truly there. When I entered the keep I was immediately attacked by the residents, including the lady. Had the Demon corrupted them, and set them up against me? He must have known I would visit this place sooner or later. With no memory of any combat skill, and apparently no ability to learn new skills all I could do was run. The museum staff was faster, and started beating me up. Only with all hope lost, I finally realised that I had both my hands, and access to undead powers. Powers that had always been denied to me. With a flick of the wrist I propelled the assailants away from me.
But there was little time to search.
The museum was a mess. I was never going to find the hand, and the staff kept attacking no matter how many times I flung them away.

I decided to continue my journey to Eldergraves.  The plan was to meet up with Bor Mazeconstruct. He was one of the necromancers that brought me back from death over the years, and in possession of the secrets.

After several days of travel, Bor greeted me at the foot of the tower of Eldergraves

"Bralbaard, is that you? You look more complete than the last time I saw you, and only slightly rotten! In fact , let me apologize for the unfortunate situation where I could only raise your hand from death!"

"Bor, If I look more complete, that is an illusion. I am more broken than before.
My mind is shattered beyond repair, but there is a glimmer of hope. You MUST teach me the secrets! "

"You barge in and the first thing you ask for is the secrets? Do you have any idea what you are asking for?"

“I have no time! A demon is laying siege to my shattered mind, there is no way to exorcise it, but I might hide. The only reason I can hold on yet, is because there are more parts of my body out there. The Demon, it controls the other parts, but it seeks me, it knows I am somewhere out here. If I know the secrets, I can shatter my body further, and raise the separated parts from death. With altar healing I can raise full new bodies from those parts when I need one. I can hide from the demon in those bodies, repeating the process when he gets too close.
There will be so many parts of me that my fragmented mind will form a maze. I will imprison the demon in that maze, trap it with no hope for escape!”

“That is insanity!”
“Are you trying to escape from the demon by hiding your self in ever deeper layers of filth? Each time you create a new body through the secrets you will corrupt yourself further. There is no hope when you take that path, do you expect to hold on to any form of sanity doing this? It is madness!”

"But what am I to do? If I kill the parts of my body that are out there that are already possessed, it will drive the demon straight into my own mind because it will be the only part of my former body that survives. The demon is now bound to my body like my own soul is. Likewise if my current body dies it will be no escape;  my soul will eventually drift into whatever demon possessed parts are out there.
I have to act fast, there is no time."
"I need the secrets to escape, and I need them NOW!" Bralbaard was not sure if the demon had spoken that last sentence, or if he did himself.

"I will not tell you the secrets, I see your pain, but also your madness. Your arguments are selfish. You fail to see the consequences. You, or the demon would become a terrible power, not unlike Moldath or that damned scorpion king if you learn those secrets.
Bor continued: Word has it that the Scorpion king has uncovered all the 12 secrets now. Bralbaard, you are possibly more familiar with death than I am. You know as well as I do that this scorpion king will not have found what he was looking for. The secrets are a lie, and you know it! "

"But you have raised me from death as a disembodied hand decades ago, this is your doing! You must help me!"

"The secrets are no salvation. They have doomed me, and they will doom anyone they touch, they can not save you. You will not have the secrets, but I swear I will help you."

"Then how are we going to do this?"

"By forgetting everything you thought you knew about Necromancy."
We are going to wake up the Worm

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:12:25 pm by Bralbaard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: February 03, 2023, 03:31:47 pm »

I like the way this is going.

The games probably crashing because of an error with the hand being resurrected. I experienced crashes from similar stunts while playing with interactions to resurrect and fully heal, dismember, kill, resurrect and full-heal people, especially if a body part was reanimated, fully healed, killed and then resurrected. In fact, i used to use, for summoning interactions, a transformation into a creature with extra arms that would fall off which could then be reanimated and immediately transformed. If they were transformed into a sapient creature, and the player tried to talk to them, the game would crash. I figure it's something about zombified body parts not having a proper soul/hist fig ID, but I never used DFHack to test that theory.

Tl;Dr your "character" might be cursed explicitly because of the way they were reanimated, healed and resurrected.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: February 03, 2023, 05:47:18 pm »

Yes that is the case. I took the liberty of pretending I could talk to Bor, in reality the game would just crash. I' ll fix the worst of it before posting the save.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 05:48:51 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: February 04, 2023, 11:19:59 am »

"Moldath V", Part V, Turn 99

The Blind Scholar

21st Felsite 937

Gathering my thoughts, I leave Balancehammer behind. I am familiar with the northern lands but I head westward - I overheard the militia talk of a new fort, far to the northwest of the known lands, which I intend to visit. No sooner have I left then I bump into a skinny dwarven lord who immediately attacks me for no reason. Despite agreeing to stop this madness, he continues to flail weakly. I attempt to calm then bribe him with trinkets, to no avail. I am forced to put him out of his crazed misery.

I travel for several hours before spotting a small campfire in the distance. A sleeping goblin makes a quick snack.

The camp is also home to another goblin in fine cloth raiment; a muscular warlord! Without warning, out of nowhere, a howling freak appears, caked in the blood of kangaroos and other creatures. The freak slaughters the sleeping goblin and leaps upon me! I pull out my axe and carve its belly open, and the night creature quickly bleeds out.

Mong Uthros lies to the west, and I am sure more howling freaks will fall before I traverse their lands. By nightfall, another lies mutilated before me.

22nd Felsite 937

Having traversed the lands of the Nations of Honoring mostly without incident, I swim westwards across the peaceful waters by night. I travel northwest, an area I have never visited before. Suddenly I am attacked by two naked human expedition leaders. How bewildering.

More naked humans stalk the lands south of the new fort, and I also encounter a troll recruit. Just outside the curious fort the dwarves of Balancehammer alluded to, I am attacked by an enormous arachnid, spraying webs. I am caught up in the sticky strands and the vicious beast lunges for me. I use my magic to launch the beast in the air. It smashes into a tree with a sickening thud, gouting ichor from its ruined leg. It is caught in its own web and struggles to get free. I too struggle against the webs as its slavering mandibles close round my head. Finally I am free of the web, and the glittering runeaxe describes a wide arc as it shatters the spiders body. These creatures are deadly, and I must be careful! My neck is torn, the nerves shredded - fortunately for me, I am animated by dark magic and rot rather than feeble flesh!

23rd Felsite 937

The fort itself appears very traditional on the surface, and is teaming with life. Over a hundred dwarves and many dogs crowd the surface and yet there seems no deeper structures.  I can sense their heartbeats, below the ground. Two finely crafted lighthouses guard the coast, and two well-appointed buildings look out over the western coast. Where do these dwarves sleep? It certainly seems a secluded and peaceful place, apart from the vicious spiders...

I leave to explore the remainder of this peninsula. A short distance south east is a sturdy wooden hut, and inside are coffers brimming with skulls and bones. How sinister. A thin jittery human bowman necromancer approaches, petting a giant bear head. He tells me tales of Desli Wanedhummed the Beautiful Intricacies. This is the same wolf woman whose axe I found at Holykingdom. She is nowhere to be seen. He seems loyal to this wolf lady and so I gift to this lurking necromancer Desli's axe, retrieved from Holykingdom. Hopefully he can return it one day to is rightful owner. I also give him a perfect masterwork tanzanite crown I found in Balancehammer, and bestow upon it the name Ancientcrown the Noble Knowledge of Lurking. I hope it brings him good luck in his adventures. I bid Lurker Ancientcrown good day.

26th Felsite 937

A long journey south brings me to the abandoned fort of Relicward. It is eerily still but I hear something scrabbling in the depths. Just beyond the trade depot is an enormous zombie giant black bear! I end this threat immediately. I leave the fort, silent once more, and head south.

In the dead of night I am ambushed by dingomen. Foolish creatures.

1st Hematite 937

I have travelled south for many days. It is still night when I arrive in Mabkor, Incenseorder. This town is alleged to have thrived in recent decades under the undying stewardship of Maloy Craftsoars, the wolf man werefox Lord. The town does seem alive, my vampiric senses telling of many heartbeats. However, the first door I open is home to a blighted thrall. I scour the city and find no more ghouls. Maloy seems unconcerned but I travel south to Clenchportent, where the cabinet sits in exile since the Walled Dye took this city. It is, indeed, crawling with thralls. The law-giver is first to fall, the adamantine greataxe separates his head from his shoulders cleanly. The rest soon follow.

I spend a few days clearing the villages south of here of putrid ghouls and blighted thralls. Before long I have arrived at Divedact. I spend some time in the fabled Palace of Brains library, learning many interesting things. I discover how to write Biographies! I even attempt writing a few essays of myself, although my wordsmithery leaves much to desire.

3rd Hematitie 937

The town of Borncats is crawling with thralls and putrid ghouls, no doubt the handiwork of the Ghoul-Father. I found a scroll of his hand containing the secrets of life and death in Clenchportents! I slaughter all that I can find.

6th Hematite 937

I have travelled south through the lands of the High Confederacies and find myself close once more to the fabled Museum of Boltspumpkin. I stop off at Ironwards craft some scrolls and quires, and bump into a forgotten beast. It is composed of vomit and has poison vapours. I hope they don't have any nasty side effects.

I head to the Shelter of Adventures, where Irthu Bladebroken, Ragnar Ironjaw and the elf Athama Stalkhandled still reside, over a century since their last adventure. I leave some hearty food for aspiring adventures, hot from the kitchens of Ironwards.

At the camp of Herograves, I find caskets dedicated to the Adventurers of The Museum. In one empty coffin, I place the remains of Rusna Springblossom the Gulf of Liberties and her adamantine armour and atop her skeleton the massive greataxe Noblechopped. Long may it rest with her.

17th Hematite 937

I spend several weeks amassing a great collection of my own knowledge, and this will be my submission to the Museum. I crafte a nickel silver coffer to house my works, and stow the scrolls and squires in exotic pouches. There are some books here which would grant unnatural life to those foolhardy enough to read them, among some more esoteric works. I find the Museum sadly in disarray, with exhibits scattered far and wide. I spend a day or two gathering and sorting over two centuries of artifacts and attempt to restore them to their previous positions.

Upon a pedestal, I leave The Black Library of Moldath.

In addition, I leave the corpse of the giant cave spider which almost killed me for the third time - Scouredlaud the Number of Dreaming.

I decide to retire to Kikrostzar, a sparsely populated frozen wasteland, where hopefully I can stay out of trouble for the next few decases or so of my infinite existance... although as I feel the rot take hold of my senses once more, I suspect It has other plans.

OOC:

Forts visited:
Holykingdom
Balancehammer
Abyssdeeps
Realmspire
Blueoceans

Museum submission: The Black Library - the collected ramblings of the Blind Sadist, in a casket of his favoured metal. I think this should be submission number 55, before Braalbard's hand-inception?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 02:41:37 pm by kesperan »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: February 04, 2023, 04:50:11 pm »

Posts have been updated, thanks for the summary at the end!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: February 04, 2023, 05:31:53 pm »

Chapter two: Worm Food

After Bor had announced he was going to wake up the Worm, he had refused to elaborate, and Bralbaard had not tried to bring up the subject, knowing that it would get him nowhere.

It had been a long journey. They had traveled south from Eldergraves, around the mountain range, and then back up North. They had mostly stayed away from civilisation, but by chance had passed through the camp where the cave dragon Nirmek had lived. After that they had crossed frozen wastes of the tundra of heroes. The fog had been as thick as pudding, and they could not see two feet ahead of them.
The Demon had been quiet. It was preparing a new attack, Bralbaard was certain of it, but for now it did not stir.
Finally they had made it to the other end of the tundra, where they emerged in a strange alien landscape. Stalked eyeballs grew from the ground among strange pinkish tendrils that tried to grasp and hold your feet when you walked across them.
Bralbaards mind was drawn to the subject of the worm again.

He of course knew about the Worm. There had even been a museum submission, way back in the year 825 by Ezif Aroirum:  Slinspa Esh, “The Worm of Emptiness” The figurine that depicted humans worshipping a Worm, while the sun withered away. Ezif claimed that the Worm, an entity that lived in the space beyond, or perhaps inside our world, was responsible for the unexplained complete destruction of Gor and Duskhome.

Ezif had gone mad during his research, and this was not unusual among those who had seriously studied the Worm. It was a question among philosophers if the Worm was the cause of madness, or that only truly mad people believed in the Worm. Bralbaard doubted the sanity of any necromancer but Bor had appeared reasonably stable until he had brought up the worm. He was glad the necromancer had not brought it up again, and had nearly forgotten about it when suddenly Bor stopped and spoke.

“We are there. Once we are out of this glumprong forest you will be able to see it.”

"See what?"

"You probably think that worshipping of the Worm started with Ezif, in the ninth century. Well it goes back much further than that, this site is at least two centuries old. Beyond this hill lies the Charcoal Pit. Here reality can be broken or altered. This is where we will wake up the Worm."

When Bralbaard emerged from the forest his shattered mind had great difficulty to comprehend the scene before him.
8 pilars of fire rose from the ground, burning as fiercely as dragon fire. Within each pilar was a pedestal, and on top of each of them there was a worm, convulsing in the fire in spastic movements, while screeching noises filled the air. The eight roaring columns of fire were build around a structure that housed a shallow pit. For some reason Bralbaard immediately knew the names of all the eight worms.

Eight worms to summon the power of Slinspa Esh, The Worm of Emptiness!” Bor spoke with a feverish look in his eyes.

The tone of Bor's voice frightened Bralbaard, but he decided to pose his question regardless “What exactly is the Worm?”

Bor seemed to calm down. "Yes.. I need to explain.."
“It is hard to say, it is associated with corruption, not the usual kind of corruption, but a rot of time and space itself. Many think the Worm is the cause of this corruption, but I think this is not right. I think it cleanses corruption, or tries to, even if it causes a lot of destruction in the process. The world is being torn apart by the forces that control us, forces more powerful than the gods. The worm is there to fix the damage they have done to our world. Ezif, who published about the Worm before,  indicated that the initial time-corruption was much larger than Gor and Duskhome, but the worm seems to have fixed it by taking these two sites, sparing the rest.”
“The area around us is of interest to the worm. This evil land is infused with the power of necromancy, but in an incomplete form. Any creature raised by this power is inherently broken, corrupted.  This is the time-corruption the worm feeds on. I discovered this when I used this land to raise a Roc from death, long ago. Calovi the roc was taken by the worm after I raised it, whereas a roc I raised later was not, as it was raised by normal necromancy. I did not fully understand at the time, but I think Calovi was not actually killed by the Worm, only cleansed of it’s corruption. This is what we are here for. Now that I know what is going on we can exploit it. “

They came to the centre of the pit, and to Bralbaard’s shock, he was staring at the corpse of a charcoal brute. A near exact copy of Pis the Mucuses of Raunch. The beast lay to the side of the pit, a massive form, with menacing horns and teeth.
Bor saw the shock on Bralbaard’s face and tried to reassure him; “This is the corpse of the demon that founded this site; Handbane the Legendary Slayer of Bugs. He has been dead for centuries and is of no concern.”
But this was not the demon Bralbaard was worried about, that was the demon in his head, and seeing the corpse had been a trigger. Suddenly he could feel the presence in his mind, pain and terrible visions overcame him, blurring everything else.

This was a battle he could not win,  but he had understood enough from Bor’s words to know what had to be done. The demon now took full shape in Bralbaard’s mind,  it roared at Bralbaard, and spoke; It is done! There is no escape. GIVE IN TO ME. WE WILL BECOME ONE.  But Bralbaard did not give in to the demon, he gave in to death, his lifeless body falling to the cursed ground of the charcoal pit. A bloodied dagger clattering to the ground next to him

Bor had been left behind in shock. He had planned for Bralbaard to be reanimated by the powers of this land, but had been unable to explain it properly. Something was terribly wrong for Bralbaard to take his life like that, and Bor suspected the demon was involved, but there was no way to know what was going on on the other side.  Bor had to act but he could do …. nothing.
Bralbaard had to be raised by the ambient necromancy, or the Worm would not wake up. If it happened soon he might have a chance against the demon, but time passed and nothing happened. Bor performed all the rituals he had heard of and some more, but the body failed to move. For two full days he waited, other corpses at the site had shuddered into life in a matter of hours, and were stalking the site now, but Bralbaard’s corpse had not moved. Bor raised the corpse form death using his own magic but saw the effect was wrong, the zombie was too perfect. The Worm would never come for it.  He killed the corpse again and waited. Another day passed and he gave up. Bralbaard’s body would just not reanimate. It was in good enough condition, but perhaps there was a limit to how many times a creature could be brought back to life? If anyone had reached it, it would be Bralbaard. He packed up his belongins and dragged the body away from the pit, through the Hill of Bogs. It was only then that the body twitched and came back to life.

It was clear immediately that the battle between Bralbaard and the demon had continued in the afterlife. Worse, the demon had won. What stared back at Bor from the reanimated corpse was pure evil. The undead are naturally friendly to necromancers, but he felt the demon was breaking through this resistance at great speed,  he could only keep him in check for a brief time. But there was hope. The reanimation had worked, and the corpse before him was unmistakably broken and in breach of the laws of proper necromancy.

Bor walked up to the corpse and looked it deep in the eyes. It took great mental effort to stop it from attacking him. Bor spoke, with tears in his eyes;  I know a part of you is still in there Bralbaard. I have to leave now! Hang on, the Worm will find you soon...

With tears in his eyes he fled the scene. Slinspa Esh had been awoken, and it would come to feast on the corruption, as it had done before at Gor and Duskhome.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:46:24 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: February 04, 2023, 07:01:39 pm »

Chapter three: The secret of Life

Two weeks later I woke up. No I did not just wake up, I truly woke up. For centuries I had no need for sleep or rest, but now I felt like I woke from a deep sleep. I could feel air flowing through my lungs, I could feel the cold from the stone floor beneath me.

I was ALIVE…?
I checked my pulse, and found one.
I held my breath, and found out I couldn't
I felt tears stream down my cheeks.
I truly was alive!
A miracle had happened, and the demon was gone!

I was alone in an abondoned dwarven fortress. When I found a mirror it was a surprise. I looked nothing like the dwarf I once was. This body could have belonged to a stranger, but it was unmistakably me. I gathered some gear from the abandoned fortress and went out into the world, it felt like being reborn.

Several weeks later I met up with Bor, he once again waited for me at the foot of the tower of Eldergraves

Like me, he could not really believe it had worked.
With my changed appearance he first did not believe it was me, but a few questions confirmed it.
Tears streamed down his face, abandoning me at the charcoal pit had left him a terrible feeling of guilt.
Later, in the tower with a cup of tea, we tried to understand what had happened.
Bor tried to explain it to me.
The Worm must have taken away the corruption, but my body was so broken and corrupted, that the Worm could not restore it. It did the only thing it could do, the worm of emptiness just filled in the blanks. it made a new body, uncorrupted, untainted and alive.  Bor and I  could not figure out the details of how it works, but we understand the majority of it. It’s not like the traditional secrets, those only turn the dead in unholy monstrosities, no this is something bigger.This may be THE secret. The secret of Life. Not only does it restore someone to life, but it also grants immortality. I am far older than any dwarf should be, but I feel absolutely fine.

The dark warnings with which I started this book have not come to pass, the secrets I now pass on seem benign, but I have to warn it will still come at a cost, which will be explained in the technical part below. beyond that I have little to add for now, but it will come. Is immortality really the secret life is about, or is it another lie? If anything, I think it is not the most important secret. The important secrets in life are in the simple things. It can be found in how you live a life that matters, in friendship, in love. This new life has given me a second chance to explore those things, and I hope the secret of life described below will be a second chance for many others out there, no matter how corrupted they are, this will give anyone a chance at a fresh start. 

Yes, there is hope. We can fight the twelve false secrets, we can save those that have gone to the dark side. The blight can be stopped.

------
From here the book goes into the arcane formulae and instructions that describe how to learn the secret of life:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:47:51 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: February 04, 2023, 07:21:44 pm »

Interesting to see how the stories of late are really exploring the mythos of this world. With the worm being explored by Bralbaard, the rise of a ghoulish plague after the death of lawgiver Jas and the twelve secrets fully restored to the world.

Really interested to see where these stories go and how the newer ones will turn out?

Wondering if my mass ressurection of the cave dwelling folk will come back up. See if anyone encounters intelligent undead reptilemen.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: February 05, 2023, 01:48:14 pm »

I don't want to alarm you Braalbard, but you have no beard.

Interestingly, this seems to happen to dwarves who are generated as outsiders rather than attached to a civ ID, as it is the civ cultural rules that define facial hair etc. I am pretty sure Moldath is beardless too. I haven't as yet been able to find any way to mod beards back in using DFHack, but you should be able to restore your ability to read using gui/gm-unit.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 263