Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 408036 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2020, 12:59:47 pm »

ooooohh this is an amazing idea and I'm loving it!!
Can I get a spot??
Sure!

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2020, 04:05:00 am »

Classic Divedact
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By Bil Hammertome

Ah, Odiuse! Gem of the High Confederacies and the center of knowledge for all the known world! My home! How beautiful you look, perched there on the ridge above the rivers and waterfalls! The Citadel of Singing basks in the afternoon sun, its imposing towers and battlements witnessing of the struggles of the past! Oh Odiuse, to have seen you during your glory days before the scourge of the living dead brought ruin to your people! Those days are long gone, but with this book I hope to give your children just a small glimpse of the old you, the Classic Divedact!

Divedact was founded in the year 57 by the fair people of the High Confederacies. The first building here was the Citadel of Singing, which was to guard the entire southern half of the Confederacies, but this was a time of peace and prosperity for all the peoples of the Great Valley that mortals call home, and Divedact grew quickly. The main street south of the Citadel is the oldest, but new streets quickly started branching out from there. After justb a few decades, Divedact started looking like it does today:

The entire center would have looked more or less like today, with the busy main street sloping down towards the river, the bustling meat market west of the keep and of course the necropolis of Mazescar towering above the scenery, with a grand view across the valley. Though the floor and pillars were in a better state back then. The Tenebrous Abbey and its wonderful gardens were also erected during this time in honor of Tokda the Pristine Help, the Goddess of laws, oaths and marriages.

And, slightly hidden away from the busy town life, lies the Palace of Brains, a black obsidian gem carved into the hillside just above the meadows by the river. Originally constructed to store tax records, the reading halls of the Palace soon attracted the greatest minds from near and far. And, indeed, most of them were dwarves. Yes, dwarves, my dear Odiuse. For back in this age, the dwarves were much more numerous than they are now, and, in fact, your history and that of all the Confederacies is also very much a history of dwarves. The dwarf’s thirst for knowledge is almost as great as his thirst for beer, and the Palace became home to a society of academics such as Ushat Reveredshots, Zasit Inkgates, Risen Bronzeworth and many other great minds whose names are now lost to time. Its halls were filled with the voices of the Classics as they debated the workings of the earth, the wind, the clouds and everything in between. All the great Manuals were written during this period by the Dwarven Classics, as Divedact became the center of learning in the world.

However, all good things eventually come to an end. At the turn of the 1st century, the dwarves of Confusedship unleashed the Horrors from the depths of Hell – yes those very same Horrors that still ravage our lands from time to time – and this spelt the beginning of the end for the Dwarves. The Demons killed a great many dwarves and severely weakened their kingdom, rendering them vulnerable for the troubles to come.

The dwarven thirst for knowledge can lead to great things, but it can also lead to very dark things. And so it was that a lowly bookbinder from Stakelessons became obsessed with her own mortality and sought to extend her life by any means. This dwarf, my dear Odiuse, was Oddom Girdergrove – a name that strikes fear in the heart of all living souls. She had been chased out of her home in the Mountainhomes because of her vile experiments and had for some years unsuccessfully sought vengeance against her countrymen, but when the Horrors arrived, things suddenly changed. The records are unclear as to what exactly happened next, but less than a decade after the appearance of the Horrors, Mistress Oddom’s hordes were first seen in the land of the High Confederacies, and every time she won a battle, the ranks of her armies were bolstered even further. Thus began two centuries of terror where the dead would overrun the entire northern part of the world. By the turn of the second century, Oddom’s armies numbered in the tens of thousands and their onslaught was relentless. Divedact fell in 226. The Elves and Dwarves were brought to the brink of extinction. But then something happened. During the first half of the 4th century, the undead hordes started shrinking. Nobody knew why. The forces of the living rallied and launched an attack on the undead from all sides – the Goblins of the Most Sin and the warrior Nations of Honouring from the north, the High Confederacies from the west and the Creamy Confederacy from the south. And they won. The victory was widely attributed to the forces of the living uniting to fight the common enemy, but truth is no one knows what happened to the vile necromancers behind the catastrophe.

But Oddom seemed to be gone for good. Life slowly returned to normal in Divedact, but only slowly, for the town has been ravaged by necromancers no less than six times since the victory of the living over the dead. These necromancers were never as powerful as Oddom, but nevertheless posed a significant threat to the people of Divedact and the High Confederacy. While your children are fighting for their survival, the books in the Palace of Brains are left to gather dust. No new great Manuals have been written for five hundred years and the halls of the Palace lie dormant and quiet.

My dream, dear Odiuse, is that one day the land shall be rid of the scourge of Horrors and Death, and the halls of knowledge will once again be filled with wisdom. By Rogon the Umber, I pray I will live to see it happen!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:37:44 am by Emilovich »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2020, 01:07:58 am »

Wow, you have managed to reconstruct a lot of historic events. Great stuff, looking forward to the adventure.

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2020, 11:06:25 am »

25th of Felsite, 703
I am Bil Hammertome and this is my story. I grew up in Divedact, in the High Confederacies, and like absolutely everyone else here (apart from all the goblins), I have long, goldenrod hair, dark peach skin and aqua eyes. As I grew up, I loved reading books and so I spent much of my time at the Palace of Brains. In the beginning people teased me about it, but then they found out that old silver and stone-bound codices really pack a punch when in the right hands and then they stopped. And that’s how I got my nickname.
Anyway, because of my love for books I decided to become a bookbinder. I spent many years in the profession, slowly mastering the art of binding books. However, business has been really bad lately. In fact, no new books have been written in Divedact for around 500 years, since the necromancers first appeared in the area. Five times they have burnt down the town, and five times we have rebuilt it. I wrote a book about this, you may have heard about it. But the necromancers were never truly defeated. The armies of the dead were beaten back, but in many cases the source of evil – the necromancers themselves – were never brought to justice. They have left our land in peace for over a hundred years now, but many are still alive, hiding in their dark towers or in plain sight, biding their time and plotting their next move. If Divedact and the High Confederacies are to ever regain their former glory, someone must make sure the dead do not return.

And that is why I decided it is time to change my line of work. Together with my friend Kem, I will embark on a quest to rid the land of the undead scourge.

26th of Felsite, 703
Spent most of the day trying to find somewhere to buy a backpack. No luck. Good thing my trusty steed Tor can act as a pack animal. I need to bring all my writing equipment.

I also went to the Palace of Brains to take with me some light reading for the journey. I picked a book called “More Moving World” by an unknown author. The writing is a bit sad, but I really like the silver cover.

We will set out to Mistirgospo – Momentcrowded - a known necromancer site, where the Horses of Perplexing reside. They are led by an ancient dwarf called Athel Ivoryknife who is responsible for having razed Divedact twice.

We set out in the early morning. There are villages along the entire route, so we didn’t worry about food or shelter.

The first village on the way was Brassconfused. It has been abandoned for a long time, but I had heard someone had settled there recently. However, walking down the main street, it seemed completely empty. Trying to find its inhabitants or perhaps something useful, Kem and I searched the houses. While inside the last house, I hear something outside. I come out and find myself surrounded by at least two dozen peasants:

They proceed to charge right at me, so I quickly mount my horse and charge right through their ranks. One of them tries to attack Tor, but Tor jumps away! We made it away, but I realize I can’t see Kem anywhere. I try to draw them away from the village while throwing mud and knives at them, and after a short while they seem to realize the futility of their endeavor and begin to run away.

My hands are itching for a good fight though, so I decide to dissuade them from ever trying to rob anyone again:

Having thrown away my knife, I charge right at one of my assailants and strike him in the ‘lower body’ with my silver-bound bedtime reading. Then she gets trampled by my horse.

I chase down and beat a few others, then ride back to the village to look for Kem. Sadly, he is nowhere to be found.

So I wait for a while and then he shows up, angry that I galloped away from him the moment we set out from Divedact. Perhaps we should get him a horse too.

Then we turn southwest away from the river valley and onto the great open plains. As we ride through several more ruined villages, we are reminded of the importance of our mission. All these places were full of life until the arrival of Mistress Oddom’s hordes. In an abandoned mead hall, I find some bronze plate armor and a Morningstar.

We continue on, and the landscape changes from open plains to forested, rolling hills. I stop by another village mead hall to see if there are more things I can use. I peek through the door and is greeted by a Goblin shouting “Identify yourself!”. The situation escalates quickly from there:

The goblin who spoke first, apparently the leader, tries to hold back his eager companion, who charges right at me. I quickly mount my horse and put some distance between me and the hall. The goblins emerge from the building, still arguing whether to fight or leave me be. As always when there is trouble, Kem is nowhere to be found. Eventually, they decide to attack, and both charge right at me. I only barely manage to escape.

I ride on to the village of Grayglory, recently reclaimed by my fellow countrymen. It is getting late, so I decide to stay here for the night. Hopefully Kem will catch up with me.

1st of Hematite, 703
Stayed in Grayglory for a few days waiting for Kem. He hasn’t showed up.

Talking to the villagers, I hear news of the ongoing war with the demons. The war is going well and the High Confederacies are on the offensive. Perhaps my dream of peace is not that far into the future!

I heard something even more interesting from baron Zar. Apparently, a necromancer called Iton has sent out word that she wishes to acquire some lost artefacts, and that these are to be returned to her in Tongstreat, a tomb in the northern part of the High Confederacies. When I have completed my mission to Mistirgospo, I will go there.

Since Kem has abandoned me, I will continue the adventure on my own.

Finally, I have arrived at my destination: Mistirgospo. Before me, the forests give way to a plain field littered with strange towers and pyramids. However, the place seems eerily empty…

Investigating some of the buildings, I found an amusing guide to my hometown. Overall, the prose is great and I feel somehow connected to the woman who wrote it some hundred years ago. Apparently, she was taken prisoner when the necromancers from this place ravaged Divedact. She was seduced by the promises of unlimited immortality and became a necromancer herself.

After wandering around the site for some time, I found a building that set itself apart from the others. A twisted spire. No grass or bushes grew around it, as if even the plants knew something was wrong here. As I approached, I was greeted by an old, white-haired dwarf, who introduced herself as Behal the bard. However, upon interrogation she openly admitted to being part of the Horses of Perplexing. She was a monster. But now was not the time for justice to be delivered. I needed to know more about the place first. I rode up to the twisted building and peeked inside. It was dark, and I could hear voices. Behal passed me and went inside. I took a few steps back and walked around the building, thinking that I wanted a proper view of it before entering. It was very tall.

As I came back around to the entrance, I nearly stepped on a rotten hand. It was moving! I quickly smashed it with my Morningstar, then it became still.

I went inside, bringing Tor with me so I could quickly escape, turned left and peeked into a room. Empty, apart from some creepy statues. I closed the door, turned around and stared right into a rotten face. I was sure this was the end for me, and quickly took out my morningstar, but this however proved unnecessary:

I soon realized the dead weren’t hostile to me… Apart from the hands that are crawling around, trying to grab my feet. Although the walking dead cannot speak, they appear to have some amount of their humanity left. I explored the entire tower without getting molested by the poor souls condemned to forever serve the necromancers, but no-one other than Behal was there. I witnessed her raising a corpse when I was sneaking around, so she definitely isn’t a regular bard.

I decided to go back to the nearest village to spend the night and gather reinforcements.

2nd of Hematite, 703
I found a macewoman called Asi who agreed to join me on my quest to purge Mistirgospo. We set out towards Mistirgospo at first sunlight. But something had changed. The forest was now crowded with the walking dead, and they were very hostile. It seemed we had to fight our way to even get to the tower. We had no problem besting them, though I regret the choice of the Morningstar as my weapon. Zombies can take many hits to the head before going down.

The last zombie before we reached the tower managed to twist the head of my horse so badly the skin tore up. He was just lying on the ground, however not dead. We decided to continue on and then return to see if he had gotten any better when going home.

After having fought about half a dozen zombies we finally made it to the tower. I was hoping the zombies aimlessly walking about the fields meant that the necromancers had returned from wherever they had gone so I could punish them for their crimes. However, the tower was just as empty as the day before, apart from the friendly, rotting zombies stalking the corridors.

Behal – the so-called bard I met yesterday – was nowhere to be found, but we happened upon another lady presenting herself as a herbalist. I questioned her about her family and she came up with some nonsense story about an aunt who died in 5th century. Obviously, no ordinary human could have an aunt that old, so I accused her of being a night creature. Her response was to raise one of the corpses lying around the room to fight us. We quickly bested it and chased after the necromancer. When we found her she yielded and admitted that her real name was Tawki Groupappeared and that she was a necromancer. So she was not the leader, just some apprentice. Then I struck her down.

We decided to return to the village nearby for the night. However, my horse Tor had disappeared. This is a problem since he was carrying all my food, books and writing equipment. Dammit!

As we walk back to the village, I can’t help but feel that this had been a failure. I know Athel Ivoryknife is out there somewhere, but I have no idea where she is. Should have executed that bard when I had the chance!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:26:51 am by Emilovich »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2020, 05:49:31 pm »

Bil Helsing! Rid the world of necromancer, so the human race can prosper once more!  :D .

Was pretty fun to read. I  like the ambush scene. It really show how desperate the people of the High Confederacies are getting. The state has ignore the people as they are too focus fighting the war. Leaving the peasants victim of beast attacks and razed villages by the enemy to fend for themselves. Some left their homeland while others resort to banditry to keep them and their family alive.

I'm here hoping that Bil can bring his homeland out from the dark age and into the Renaissance.    :D

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2020, 09:46:25 pm »

I am wondering if the poor horse will be "found" by the necromancers and "given new life"... Having to best Tor to retake your writing equipment and food.. that would be quite a thing.  What happens if Tor is as docile and friendly as the Tower undead?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2020, 11:08:54 am »

3rd of Hematite, 703
I spent the night at Embracedvises and got up to find the landscape covered in snow. What a beautiful morning! Today starts my trip back to Divedact, from where I will travel east to Tongstreat, where I am sure I will find the dwarf necromancer Iton Helmedglides. He was once the apprentice of Goden the Gates of Mightiness who was killed by the dwarves retaking Treatyseed three years ago.

5th of Hematite, 703

The journey to Tongstreat was uneventful, but now we stand before the tomb of Tongstreat. It is easily the biggest building I have ever seen. A giant square tower, easily as tall as the twisted spire of Mistirgospo and seemingly much more massive. On the door is a brass slab:

I am afraid Thomo’s rest has already been disturbed, but I hope not. Thomo was the first Law-Giver of the High Confederacies. If the filthy necromancer has desecrated her tomb, I will make her pay for it. The door is, however, locked. Perhaps the tomb is undisturbed after all? I pick the lock and enter anyway.

The treasures inside gives a glimpse of a more prosperous age: Tons of weapons and armor made by bronze and iron, gold figurines, and expensive bracelets. And even a tome! Let’s see what it says…

Farmpuzzled… The dark place where Athel Ivoryknife also mastered the dark arts. Someone has definitely been here...

I found Thomo’s tomb. It is undisturbed. Good. But, as I turn to walk out of the room, something stirs behind me.

RUUUUUUN!!! Asi barely gets to draw her flail before the skeletons are all over her. I manage to jump past them and escape, however not the way I came from. I run up the stairs and find myself on a balcony looking down on the skeletons in the process of tearing poor Asi apart. Two skeletons approach from each side and I have no choice but to jump back down into the mayhem and run for the exit:

I got to the stairs, and as I sprint down them Asi finally stops screaming. Poor Asi. I am not sure I like this Thomo all that much.
I run as fast as I can while still hearing the skeletons behind me, continue through a corridor where the skeletons are still not moving and make it to another chamber which I remember having been in before… But did I come from upstairs or downstairs?

Downstairs. I was right. As I retrace my path through the chambers, I take time to pick up an iron axe and iron shield to replace my bronze morningstar. And a gold figurine… Then I look up and notice that I’m in a room I don’t remember having been in before!

It’s a dead end. I run back up the stairs and with some margin outmaneuver a skeleton. Then I make a run for it towards freedom. Thank Rogon, I made it out! No sight of the necromancer though. Now I need to rest. I will go north to Bindviper, apparently the nearest civilized place, and then search the area again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:45:54 pm by Emilovich »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2020, 05:10:05 pm »

Wow, that was close. Good thing you did not run into a mummy.

3rd of Hematite, 703
I spent the night at Embracedvises and got up to find the landscape covered in snow. What a beautiful morning! Today starts my trip back to Divedact, from where I will travel east to Tongstreat, where I am sure I will find the dwarf necromancer Iton Helmedglides. He was once the apprentice of Goden the Gates of Mightiness who was killed by the dwarves retaking Treatyseed three years ago.

Goden the Gates of Mightiness! I indeed found his corpse during my adventure:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:13:52 pm by Bralbaard »

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »

6th of Hematite
I am now back in Divedact after my failed attempt at locating and bringing to justice the evil necromancer Iton Helmedglides. I have investigated other possible necromancer locations and have found out that the tower of Largetempest, where the necromancer group responsible for the latest sacking of Divedact, is located only half a day’s travel to the east. I have now recruited a squire to help me on this noble quest and we will set out tomorrow.

7th of Hematite

We set out towards Largetempest, crossing picturesque plains east of Divedact. Even saw a flock of unicorns close to the old monastery. As we approach the tower, however, vegetation becomes sparse. When we reach the first pyramid, which this tower too seems to be surrounded by, there is barely even any grass to see. But this place is different from Mistirgospo. Within the pyramid we hear noises. Peeking inside, we are greeted by a big fat monster:

Although born from evil, he was actually an alright fellow and as I have no proof he has committed any crimes, I let him live. My goal is to punish the necromancers, not their poor victims. Actually, all the pyramids were inhabited by some kind of monster. Either the above scaly ones or these three-eyed ones:

As we approach the twisted spires of Largetempest, we are greeted by a swarm of arms and heads crawling towards us and trying to bite and scratch. We make short work of these fearsome opponents.

We charge in the doors and directly to my right I stand face to face with a necromancer! Eager to not waste a single moment, I proceed to slash him in the head. Bleeding and horrified he screams for help, and I just manage to think that this will be a victory, but then he gestures at me, and the world starts spinning. I fall over, while my goblin squire attempts to shield me from the sharp knives of the necromancer and his aides. As I stumble towards the exit, I feel blisters forming all over my body. The pain is unbearable and I can’t tell if I’ve been stabbed or it’s just the blisters puncturing and bleeding all over. The necromancer does not follow me outside though, and I manage to best another wave of severed arms and heads. Then, my brave squire appears in the doorway. I thought for sure he was dead! … Oh, he is. I quickly decide that this necromancer’s death can wait a little while and make a run for the hills.

Wow, that was a close one. Thought for sure it was the end of Bil’s adventure. Now I think I’m going to make my way towards Boltspumpkin and then possibly a heroic death. Then I'll submit the save tomorrow.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2020, 12:39:57 am »

I've had much fun in the last two times this game was open, I'd like a turn!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2020, 02:59:35 pm »

Hey Tonnot,

good to see you are still active, I'll add you to the list.

Wow, that was a close one. Thought for sure it was the end of Bil’s adventure. Now I think I’m going to make my way towards Boltspumpkin and then possibly a heroic death. Then I'll submit the save tomorrow.

Just wanted to let you know that you can also retire your adventure and play him again if you sign up for another turn. (Though obviously there is not guarantee he will be alive by then)

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2020, 04:13:02 pm »

8th of Hematite
Back in Divedact I found an old account from 443 of the razing of Passionspirals, a necromancer tower to the north of the High Confederacies. This account states that the slab containing the evil secrets of undeath was taken by an illiterate High Confederacy soldier, who later died in a battle at Boltspumpkin, a fort far to the south, across the barren hills that make up the southern border of the High Confederacies. I have decided to go there, seek out the slab and destroy it. Also, there is another razed necromancer tower on the way – Farmpuzzled – and I will investigate that on the way as well. With me I will bring Ero the Monstler Slayer and Snodub the Goblin Beast Hunter. Word around town in Divedact says Snodub is well-traveled, so I hope he will be of great use.

9th of Hematite
We’ve now reached the borders of the High Confederacies and are taking shelter in some old Dwarven hillocks. That is, I am. It appears Ero and Snodub ran off to fight a dingo and did not come back. Dammit.

10th of Hematite
I’ve arrived at Farmpuzzled. Once the centre of a mighty necromancer cult, it was conquered and razed several centuries ago and is now empty. However, there are a lot of forbidden scriptures here. I have dumped some of them in a lake to the west of the tower, hopefully nobody finds them.

11th of Hematite
Arrived at the first hamlet of the Creamy Confederacy. Desperately hungry I enter the first village on my way and am greeted by a rotting corpse lying the middle of the street. Not much food here. I continue on to the next village, Queenruled, which I am pleased to find is not abandoned. A sizeable community of 30 farmers live here, and they look so different from my countrymen. Black hair, never seen that before. However, they do not have any food either. Desperate, I trade my bronze gauntlets for a knife and go hunting in the woods. This doesn’t prove a huge success, as I find no animals before I reach Boltspumpkin:

A very peculiar longitudinal fortress inhabited by two goblins. They told me there used to be a dwarf, but apparently he went to Treatyseed to join the  In the corner of the main hall, I can’t help but notice a huge blistered slab. So it is here, not doing any harm at the moment however, since goblins never age anyway. I am mainly focused on not starving. The goblins have a horse which I could butcher, but that would be rude. I’ll ride back to the village to find food.

….

25th of Hematite
Dear diary. Two weeks ago I nearly died of starvation so I had to take a little break before continuing again. Fall has now properly begun and the leaves are turning beautiful red and yellow colors. I’m better and will continue my quest to obliterate all necromancers. First: Find my new horse. Apparenlty it doesn’t consider me its owner and has probably wandered back to Boltspumpkin. I suppose it’s fair, I don’t even know it’s name. This may prove problematic in the long run, but I really need a horse to act as a packhorse.

When I get back the Boltspumpkin I notice a blank surface to my right while walking towards the gate:

A shiver runs down my spine. There it is, the blistered necromancer’s slab. How did it get there? The goblins tell me that it's happened before. Sometimes it tries to escape from the museum. It is almost as if it is whispering to me, offering promises of greatness and power. That thing needs to be destroyed. NOW.

So, here I am, standing above the fires of Thakom Tadin:

For a moment I hesitate – after all, I could use the slab to do good – but no. I cast it into the fire. ((OOC: There's a volcano a few hours northwest of the museum. Handy for destroying unwanted things or building a cool fortress))

26th of Hematite
Difficult to find food in this area, but there is an abandoned town with a market full of meat and weapons nearby. This land is in a very bad state as compared to the High Confederacies. I have one last quest before I will lay off adventuring for a while. I’ve heard rumors that Oddom, the evilest of all necromancers and the one who is responsible for wiping out the races of dwarves and elves, can be found at Heroicgem further up in the same valley as Boltspumpkin. Should only be a few days' travel away. She is the leader of the Scholarly Mansions, the necromancer group who threatened to wipe out all life in the world a few centuries ago. The exact reason for why they failed and were defeated by a coalition of primarily men and goblins around the year 345 is unknown. Perhaps I will find out, now I know she has apparently settled down in this lawless area.

28th of Hematite
This valley is one huge maze of sparsely populated goblin pits.

1st of Malachite
I made it here! Before me is the tower of Heroicgem where the evil Lady Oddom resides.I suppose my odds aren’t the best, but we will all be better off if I can rid the world of this foul creature.

A first glance through to main entrance reveals a scaled, winged creature walking around the horribly foul-smelling interior:

My experience as a necromancer hunter tells me that politeness goes a long way with freakish monsters:

He reveals to me that Oddom is indeed at home in the tower. Another scaly person joins us. They seem a bit nervous. I try to keep them calm by telling jokes as I inspect the great hall that seems to form the core of this tower. And then I saw her:

Oddom Girdergrove, the great enemy, the master necromancer. There is no doubt with that huge, crooked nose. And then she walks behind a stairway. Did she go up? Or through the door? Goddammit. The place is rather empty, it doesn’t seem like she is preparing a world conquest in the foreseeable future. I walk up some stairs, trying to find Oddom again. At the end of a stairway I come up behind a whitehaired woman:

She is unarmed and alone. Unless she has secret powers, she has absolutely no chance as their tower is nice and clean and completely devoid of rotting corpses she can raise. But I need to know who I will be punishing. She presents herself as Otir Worshippedferry, the Gem Cutter Necromancer. Never heard of her, but she has admitted to her crimes so I give her the death sentence:

For a moment I just stand there admiring my work. That was proper executioner precision right there! (The first messages are me trying to grab a hold of her to prevent her from running away)

I continue my search and finally, in another spire of this mazelike citadel, in her study and surrounded by tons of books and scrolls, I’ve found her. Oddom Girdergrove.

I take a step forward.

As I make my accusations and start listing all the horrible atrocities committed by her, she bolts past and runs down the stairs! I jump after her:

And I chase her left and right and up the stairs

When it seems like I’ve got her cornered, she jumps past me, I try to grab her but she jumps away!

She then draws her artefact crossbow and runs away again. I lose track of her.

Some time later I find her trying to escape through a hatch. I grab her by the arm and she tries to hit me with her crossbow, which she has no arrows for. Clearly, she is no fighter.

Then I strike out against her leg:

We struggle for a while until I manage to get a clear shot at her head, which sails off in an arch!

It’s done! I can’t believe it. I’ve rid the world of the worst monster of all time, and she could barely defend herself! I proceed to take a few of her valuables. She seems to have been an ardent collector of crossbows. There are also a lot of dark scriptures scattered about this tower, I won’t be able to get rid of them all.

On my way out I’m stopped by the mighty scaled guardian of the tower:

Contrary to their wishes, I proceed to walk off as quickly as possible with as much as possible.

-----

Thus, my travels are over for now.
Behold my contribution to the museum!

Savegame

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:15:24 pm by Emilovich »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »

EDIT: Snipped for length

Very nicely done, Emilovich. Bit surprised that she went down so easy after such buildup, but that skull makes a fine addition to the Museum's collection.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:31:40 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2020, 04:30:44 pm »

Please don't ever quote a long post like that again. Just saying "Very nicely done, Emilovich. Bit surprised that she went down so easy after such buildup, but that skull makes a fine addition to the Museum's collection." without the quote would have been fine.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2020, 05:05:23 pm »

The second submission has been added to the museum:

2:The skull of Oddom Girdergrove Oddom Girdergrove the master necromancer raised an undead army that completely razed the elven and dwarven lands and most of the civilized world several centuries ago. The world has still not recovered from this tragedy, but now that Oddom is gone, there is hope (Submitted by Emilovich)

Also does this mean you want another turn?  :D :
Quote from: Emilovich
Thus, my travels are over for now.
(confirm if true)

I'll update the other posts and let Dwarvenlord know he can start.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:20:28 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 263