Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 261

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 392080 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #750 on: February 25, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »

You're misreading the birth/death dates. Those are for the next person named Loli (a regular human.)

https://i.imgur.com/lyoucy2.png

The rest of the things are pretty common and not specific to this save.
Great to know, thanks for the info.
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 27, 2021, 05:02:56 pm »

I've been writing on and off for some time now' so here's part 2 of Nom's log. Enjoy!

(also' after some consideration' consider me interested in playing another turn)

5 Granite, 755
After several days’ journey, we made a stop at a small village of Seedwatch, not long before sundown. As there seemed to be some sort of commotion, Èrith decided to scout ahead while I awaited her return in a hut at the outskirts. When she returned, she was drenched head to toe, which I found most puzzling, since the sky was clear. Could the humidity be so high? Perhaps it is so. She asked that we depart immediately, and I obliged. The local weather could well exacerbate my rheumatism.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Following the rising moon, we reached Muffincasket, where we intended to stay the night. But fate had different plans for us, for when we knocked on the door of a hillside house, an abominable brute burst forth, emitting a piercing howl, and I might have spotted a horribly bloodied carcass in the corner of the house as the door opened. Èrith had the presence of mind to grab me and leap of the slope, and so we fled without looking back. Would you imagine, dear reader, that for the first time since leaving the familiarity of endlessly looping caverns, was I truly afraid? Èrith seemed quite shaken by this also, thus we went on in silence, deeming it unwise to stop until we found a more placid locale.
It was only in the darkest of night that we managed to reach the town of Pricerings, a large, yet sparsely populated settlement. The bitterly cold, long nights seem to have pushed the locals to embrace the macabresque; I shan’t forget the twisted grimace of a garden-gnome that emerged from the snow in front of one of the houses.
Scouring the town, we met a well informed goblin, reputedly a representative of the municipal government. He and Èrith immediately took to each other, and discussed the local surroundings, interspersing their conversation with moderately savoury jokes. However, when I attempted to show some appreciation for his help, the pesky little varmint spurned me!
Bah! What pests those goblins are. I have never been so offended since our departure from Mischiefpit! Nevertheless, we have been greatly enriched by the information concerning local and regional geography. After discussing the matter with Èrith, we decided to split temporarily in search of Cheese, with me staying behind in Pricerings to probe the few locals for more information, and her, being apparently more suited to parlaying with goblins, leaving for some of the more promising settlements in the east. Sincerely I hope that there are some civilized beings in this wretched backwater.

8 Granite, 755
Oh, how mistaken I was in thinking that Pricerings is but a husk of a town! As I familiarized myself with the locale, it became readily apparent that the surface-town lies upon a bedrock porous with tunnels, not unlike a fine specimen of yellow Cheese. Those tunnels are host to a variegated community of deep-dwellers, a veritable melting pot, bustling with activity from many ichthyic, reptilian and amphibian folk, as well as some goblins and humans.  They even have a pet troll they are trying to teach how to speak and keep playfully asking of him to identify himself! How droll!
As I was writing these words, Èrith actually came back from her eastern expedition, and with more a spring to her step at that. It seems that various activities in the goblin settlements have energized her before the journey ahead, as well as allowing her to purchase new, superior equipment. It really is so that Èrith is capable of negotiating good transactions with those ornery greenskins!
Unfortunately, none of us were able to obtain even Cheese dusting to diversify our diet of shortbreads and wombat jerky, therefore we opted to set out north, cutting the great loop of the Purged Loot. With a greater density of settlements, this region will likely be the most promising for us.

12 Granite, 755
O woe! How a few uneventful days of journey can lull one into a false security, only to have cruel fate rear its head again!
Before you learn my predicament, o dear reader, I find it only proper to educate you about nuances of gorlak culture. It is oft forgotten that we consider girth to be a mark of affluence and social standing, so it is not uncommon for the finest of us to roll instead of walking. This in turn plays a part in the noble sport of gorlakball, in which many of our finest participate, not always unwillingly, as part of intercultural friendship celebrations shared with our brethren, the blind cave ogres. I, myself, while never able to attain such a feat, have always prided myself on being of considerable heftiness. Imagine my grief, o dear reader, when I found myself reduced to a fraction of myself, to the stature of a pauper, a beggorlak!
And how, you ask, did it come to pass? So it was that one evening, we spotted a curious parallelopiped of oily black stone and decided to try our luck and shelter there for the night. To assure our safety, we scoured its halls, whose silence was only sparingly broken by the crackling of flames, which seemingly were growing on the stone itself. In one of the corridors we found three sparkling dice, similar to those used by augurs to communicate with the gods. And so we rolled, to little immediate effect. Suddenly, I felt dazzled, and soon I found I could no longer speak, and that my body had become twisted and reshaped into that of a giant slithering monster.
As it turned out, the curse was brief, and I am eternally grateful towards Èrith for keeping her composure and not putting me down as I thrashed about; and yet, as I turned back to my old self, I found myself robbed of my robust, cultivated form, my skin sagging and my complexion pallid.
I’m tired. A month’s trek and not only did I fail in obtaining any Cheese, I can’t possibly show myself to my gorlakkin without becoming a laughingstock. I only have Èrith now, as my mirror, my light, my comfort and my true guide.

16 Granite, 755
After passing by a string of largely unremarkable settlements, excepting perhaps the wayside auberge of Healerlashes, where, after spending a pleasant afternoon and conversing with local dwarves, my spirits lifted somewhat after the unfortunate incident with the dice, we were fortunate to reach the castle and town of Boltspumpkin. Reputedly a place of fabulous wealth and fame, as the boorish goblin bureaucrat in Pricerings suggested, it is indeed a most interesting locale. The eccentric local potentate had his attendant show us around his kunstkabinett, which contained a number of pieces pertaining to natural history, ethnography, and, being perhaps unsurpassed in this regard, phrenology. In addition, his manor hosts a large, if somewhat sloppily managed library, and a well-stocked wine cellar. After our tour concluded, I inquired about the regional caseiculture, while Èrith shared a joke and haggled a bit with local serfs.
She also helped herself to a quantity of the fine red wine, to the joy of our hosts, but I declined to do likewise, having already imbibed my fill.
Admittedly, I was also a tad disappointed by the lack of fine Cheeses to go with the drinks, but, as it seems, even the noble lords and ladies can hardly afford such rare delicacies. This does not bode well for our search.
To repay the hospitality, we left some curios collected along our trek, those being a worn-down helmet, which, according to expertise, bears the emblems of the Armored Confederacy, once a great civilization, on par with the Creamy Confederacy and the Empire of Peeks, now reduced by necromancer incursions to nomadism and banditry; and a wreath of kobold teeth, a rare mark of a dying species. We also offered to bring more interesting items in the future, should our paths align that way.

22 Granite, 755
Reinvigorated by our stay, we struck north, stopping by several goblin settlements, which Èrith would visit for more negotiations. Finding little luck, we pressed on to find a somewhat promising cave in the piedmont. We entered the tunnels to a somewhat lukewarm welcome, or more precisely a rather tepid (ha!) corpse of a dicephalous monstrosity, slumped against a stalactite and clutching its chest.
Bypassing it, we entered into a more spacious chamber deep underground, where we came across more talkative inhabitants. An elderly lady, bearing arms, named Sekur, and her daughter Uzu. The patriarch of the family, one Tohwot, had died only weeks before our arrival. As it turned out, they had been calling the cavern their home for several decades now, ever since a friend named Thon led Tohwot and Sekur to this place. Following his departure, they decided to commit to marriage, apparently acting as their own priests in absence of ordained clergymen, and soon afterwards Uzu was born. The women informed us of a rather nettlesome neighbour, and Èrith agreed to talk to them on their behalf.
“Them” remains the most appropriate pronoun, as the neighbour in question was of the same stock as the carcass in the entryway. A somewhat awkward conversation soon led to a minor fisical altercation, in which Èrith emerged victorious.
In the end, however, all surviving parties were content with the settlement, and a minor celebration ensued.
Taking possession of what the neighbour had forfeited (no Cheese), we bid farewell to our hosts and turned back south, reaching Boltspumpkin in a few days. There, we left a lion’s share of our spoils, and decided to head northwards next. The wealthy lands of the High Confederacies and other realms beyond may prove more conducive to our search.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 28, 2021, 02:03:11 pm »

Yikes. I understand Èrith wanted to move on without speaking a word about her experiences in Seedwatch.
"We don't go to Seedwatch anymore"

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 28, 2021, 03:59:10 pm »

My sides hurt. It is a good pain.

On LuckyOwl's ettin, my best guess is that (somehow) it never got into a situation where it had to be loaded in by the game (and, consequentially, never registered its mortal wounds) until 755. Also, you may have just given me an idea on what to do with that vampire blood come my next turn... he he he.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 01, 2021, 04:03:24 am »

Reminds me of the bug we had in the old museum game. Half of the NPCs that our adventurers encountered suddenly died of old age upon seeing our heroes. All this because the game had run for so long, and  because age was only checked when NPCs were activated. You could trace where adventurers had travelled just by following the corpses of elderly people.

Anyhow. I think we did enough testing. The conclusion is that with the earlier proposed fixes the game will be stable enough, and at least more stable than without the fixes. Gor and Duskhome however can not be saved from the corruption, or I have not found a way to do so. If anyone else has found other issues during testing, let me know. Imic, can you upload your save game?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #755 on: March 01, 2021, 04:25:35 am »

You could trace where adventurers had travelled just by following the corpses of elderly people.
For armok sake please don't forget to wear your mask people

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 01, 2021, 06:01:46 am »

I apologise for not keeping track of time, but I’ll be a bit late uploading the save as I can’t do it right now.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 01, 2021, 06:13:01 am »

No problem.

Also, about the exploration event for Imic's lost sites, I think we'll go ahead with it, but how do we schedule it?
It could technically run alongside the normal game. But everyone posting everything might mess up the readability of the forum and would be a bit unfair to whoever is playing their real turn,  so I prefer to pause the game.
The question is, where do we put it on the list?  At the end of the current turn list would seem the most fair solution?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:16:28 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:01 am »

My proposal is making a section titled "The adventures that never were" or something of this nature. People who go on adventures outside the main map would put a bold disclaimer at the start of the page in the style of:

The following does not take part in the main continuity of "The Museum". It depicts adventures that will not affect the world and which will be forgotten by the inhabitants of the world, but not by our hearts.

I think pushing people whose turns it was to visit these locations in the week allotted to them to adventure + make fortress will be much more unwieldy for everyone than the-above suggestion or something similar to it.

As for where to put it, after all the turn list names, maybe? Maybe they could mention what year they're going around doing things? It's going to be relatively messy either way, but it opens doors to new possibilities too.

PS which are even the turns with the uncorrupted saves? Can we get a link somewhere?

You could trace where adventurers had travelled just by following the corpses of elderly people.
For armok sake please don't forget to wear your mask people
Night Creatures: We're covered, thanks.
@Bralbaard Yeah, normally you can track adventurers just by general piles of corpses.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:25:46 am by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 01, 2021, 08:53:18 am »

My proposal is making a section titled "The adventures that never were" or something of this nature. People who go on adventures outside the main map would put a bold disclaimer at the start of the page in the style of:

The following does not take part in the main continuity of "The Museum". It depicts adventures that will not affect the world and which will be forgotten by the inhabitants of the world, but not by our hearts.

I think pushing people whose turns it was to visit these locations in the week allotted to them to adventure + make fortress will be much more unwieldy for everyone than the-above suggestion or something similar to it.

As for where to put it, after all the turn list names, maybe? Maybe they could mention what year they're going around doing things? It's going to be relatively messy either way, but it opens doors to new possibilities too.

Ah, I intended that more as "when do we play this event" instead of "where do we put the information"
I had something similar in mind for where to put the information and how to present it, that will not be an issue.

To better explain the event;
It will not be like the normal turn list where everybody has to wait for their turn, similar to what we did with the historians guild event everybody who wants can play at the same time,  even people that are not on the turn list. Everybody will start from the same save file. This will mean we get different "myths" from different players about these lost sites. To keep things manageable we have to limit submission time to one or two weeks from the start of the event, and I was asking if we should pause the normal turn list/game in the meantime, or if we should have it continue as the event runs, which might be confusing. Second, there is the question when we play. Next week? at the end of the current turn list?
One rule I'll also add is that people would only submit their stories about the lost sites, not about other places in the world.

PS which are even the turns with the uncorrupted saves? Can we get a link somewhere?
When we start this I will put up a link to a working save game.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:04:36 am by Bralbaard »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 01, 2021, 09:29:03 am »

Personally' I think it could actually run alongside the main game. The list's quite long as it is' and people could explore the lost sites to pass some time while waiting for their turn to arrive; it worked fine enough with the historians' guild' so I see no reason why it wouldn't work now. And if we had a couple weeks (could be extended to three' perhaps?)' then it's unlikely anybody playing during this time would be seriously compromised.

My sides hurt. It is a good pain.

On LuckyOwl's ettin, my best guess is that (somehow) it never got into a situation where it had to be loaded in by the game (and, consequentially, never registered its mortal wounds) until 755. Also, you may have just given me an idea on what to do with that vampire blood come my next turn... he he he.

Good to hear! I was a bit worried it would be a disjointed' rambling mess' but then again' in-universe it probably still is. Nom doesn't really know or care much about anything besides Cheese and the feudal hierarchy.

Also I'll be anxiously awaiting the world to descend into apocalypse. All those potential vampire goblin warbands' killing adventurers before they become powerful enough to disturb the status quo... This is the true spirit of DF.
Hell' we could even get the classic 'vampires v. weremammoths' scenario' what with all of Raki's spawn running about.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 01, 2021, 10:48:11 pm »

The save game. Once again, I apologise for my poor time management on my end and the ensuing lateness of the savegame.

In the west, there was a Fortress, founded by a secretive and poorly understood cult. It grew wealthy from trade, and enjoyed many long years of prosperity, before contact was abruptly lost. No Caravans or expeditions now return. People speak of curses, of dabbling with things which no Dwarf should dabble with, and yet... the Fortress undoubtedly holds fabulous wealth and some of the greatest works of Craftdwarfship that can be found in these twilight days, hidden away in its many tunnels and halls... Is it worth the risk?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:54:23 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 02, 2021, 04:55:32 am »

Erm, I'm afraid that you may have made an error with the link (Only the https:// bit is there, not the full thing - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15446), Imic.

Still, that new fortress sounds pretty ominous! Going to be quite cool to check it out.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 02, 2021, 07:53:15 am »

Oh for... sorry, I’m not sure how I managed that.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 02, 2021, 01:56:53 pm »

So I'm more than half-way reading everyone's adventures, here are my notes condensed.

I love the story weaving around the disappearance of the abstract population. Is it the plague? Is it the cold? I don't feel it's the cold, I don't think I've seen any historical figure dead from freezing. Or hunger or thirst for that matter. I think that's just an adventurer thing (and maybe a fortress-mode thing). I figure it's a weird combination of bugs + war.
Though I feel sorry for the kobolds, they're down to 41 according to Legends Viewer. Hope they pull through, though it's really doubtful.

However, on the note of war, I feel we're underestimating the gobs. They're pretty evil, they hang, torture and mutilate bodies even post-humous after conquering a site (though the latter might actually help against necros). Yes, necros were nasty, but gobbos are the most in the world. I'll probably help with the culling when it's my turn.

I notice Imic the moth man hasn't been avenged yet. I found the group the first human he had to kill though. Imic's killer, Unlo Goredyell, has last been seen in 719 sieging Dreadruled.
Imic The Second should be good, that crocodile will likely die of old age before an adventurer finds it, but gobs live forever unless they're killed.

I find it darkly amusing that, despite the lore thrown about, it's not demons from the depths either worshiped by the goblins or accidentally released by dwarves that depopulated the world, but the Gods, because all necro slabs are God-made.

Congrats to QD for the epic end-game fights (and surviving them).

(OOC note: Quantum Drop, I have no idea how you managed to do what you did. I barely survived that encounter, and only did because I cheesed it by jumping off the stairs, which lost aggro, then sneaking back up to get that stealth hit. Also, I thought that vault had been cleared, because it was already marked on the map and there was that helmet outside, but it is definitely active. I’ll leave that for someone with better combat skills lol.)
Hehehe, no, Lonelythrall fought off a different dwarven goddess of death's vault lol. This is The Black, whose name I would have remembered if Lonelythrall fought it.

Fun fact: Fidale killed the father of the cyclops who killed the elf who killed the troll who killed the elf who killed the troll who killed the first human law-giver (de facto queen/empress) of The Realm of Silver. I suspected when I went the line of prehistoric murder starting with that law-giver, I'll end up somewhere interesting! There might be a law coined by these very long adventurer succession stories: all roads of immortal beings end at the mace/sword of a player adventurer.

“Welcome to Boltspumpkin, may Uquud the Bones of Drool watch over you. I’m assuming you’re here to donate something to our lovely museum?” Despite the odd group that stood before him, this was just another day at Boltspumpkin.

Goblin bandit(s) at the beginning: Museum. That means all shinies are our. Let's do this!
Goblins, 50 years, dozens of dragon-killing, necromancer, vampires, were-anything adventurers later: Oh Gods, what have we gotten ourselves into?! We can't even run away, we're famous, we'll be hunted and crushed like ants! What have we done to offend the Gods so much?! All we wanted was some loot. *they lament their existence for eternity or until the world ends*

Thanks Glloyd for the Shelter of Adventurers, truly an useful addition to the world.

This was all a terrible mistake
Poor Gerry. Poor Tipi.

What I learned from Legends: The fate of the three of four Dwarven civs (these aren't spoilers because the threats have already been dealt with by adventurers):
* The Matched Hame was wiped out by Cog Omristducim. You remember her? Yes, the one Th4dwarfy1 killed. You can speculate from history that she did it out of petty revenge for sharing her men with the Queen (or that she sent the men she had affairs with to the Queen to spy on her). Even killed (indirectly) one of her great-grandchildren. Who was her civ's last king. She was the Oddom Girdergrove of her civ. Good riddance.
* The Page of Tiredness was wiped out by Fací the dragon, the one killed by Doñas. Funny, but they had a necromancer like The Matched Hame and The Walled Dye probably just WAITING to do to them what the other two necros did  to their own civs. Strangely and funnily enough, the dragon killed him too along with his whole civ. Also interesting, the slab that gave Doñas immortality is the same slab that gave TPoT's necromancer immortality. I suppose it makes sense that it's still in the general area with the civ.
* The Staff of Kissing was, according to Legends Viewer, actually EXTINCT at the first save. Why the game gave them a queen and nobles at exactly year 700 is a mystery to me, but the game itself practically brought them back from extinction.

Zoku, the ettin that killed Thon, was a nastier piece of work than what Legends shows you. It had 54 rampages and lived for over half a century.

Great ride so far, looking forward for the rest.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:00:27 pm by Lurker Z »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 261