Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 262

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 407640 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #795 on: March 10, 2021, 03:56:14 am »

About adventure fort; I don't know. We have not used it this far and I do not know much about it. Does it give the player a large advantage? what kind of things can you craft?
I assume it only allows you to craft existing item types, and that it would not cause any issues with the save game. Can people without adventure fort play the next turn without issues and has that been tested?

If the other players are in favour, nobody has strong objections, and it's safe, we could change the rules?
It's a DFHack plugin that allows you to do most of what fort mode can in adventure mode - building workshops beyond a carpenter's shop, mining stone and ore if you have a pick, performing jobs at existing workshops at a site (like the forges in dwarf fortresses) and so on. You can make anything that's in the base game's raws, so long as you're able to build the appropriate workshop and find the right material. To provide an example: if you've got fire-safe materials, an anvil, fuel, and some iron bars in your inventory, you can build a metalsmith's forge and create an iron sword there. Or, as is the case with NGN's scenario, you could build a leatherworks/craftsdwarf workshop and make leather/bone gear and jewellery for your adventurer.

(IIRC, any changes made only persist in non-procedural sites, so unless you build/mine/whatnot at a player fortress, cave, camp or the like, whatever you did there won't remain when you travel away.)

As for playing without advfort (or even DFHack) on the next turn, I think that won't be a problem. In my personal experience, DF treats any items or buildings made with the plugin like any other thing made/built in fortress mode. I can try and test some more by making adventurers, making a workshop and gear via AdvFort, then retiring the adventurer and starting a new one to properly adventure with in imitation of a new player starting out (unless anyone wants to play through that save?). Overall, I'm in favour of it.

What version of legends viewer and dfhack are you using? It wasn't loading the legends plus for me so it wasn't showing any of the names for artifacts or anything. I wanted to see where some of the artifacts from my turn as Iden ended up. Whatever happened to the emerald crown of Emeraldcrown?
LegendsViewer-1.20.06c and DFHack 0.47.05-beta1 (haven't updated it yet).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:45:12 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 10, 2021, 06:43:01 am »

I've never used advFort or edited the raws mid-game myself' but as long as it doesn't destabilize the game I think it's fine' as it doesn't involve anything that can't already be done.

What version of legends viewer and dfhack are you using? It wasn't loading the legends plus for me so it wasn't showing any of the names for artifacts or anything. I wanted to see where some of the artifacts from my turn as Iden ended up. Whatever happened to the emerald crown of Emeraldcrown?

As for the Emerald Crown' I haven't really had the time to write anything concrete lately' so I'll shed some light here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 10, 2021, 10:03:11 am »

-snip-
That sounds great, and if it acts as advertised, I'm all for it.

I'll do some research (watching Let's Plays) and maybe play it myself to see if it's all that's cracked up to be or how simple or complex is. Generally though, I don't mind other people playing with it even if I won't be able. I feel it'd add the extra spice into the game apart from "walking a lot, intense fighting and looting".

Question: can you take a site in the name of your civilization in adventure mode? What happens when you claim a site claimed by another group/civ? Do they attack you until something else happens or what? Can you give a site to a group you're not a part of? Does taking the site change your group affiliation?

I've seen for example Bralbaard made a camp and claimed it as a site and he's in his own independent dwarven group, but that's because he got kicked out of The Walled Dye when he died. Could he (in-game) proclaim his allegiance to The Walled Dye and be accepted back if he wanted to? The wiki doesn't have much on Claims except that they lead to !!fun!! (their words).

I see The Shelter of Adventurers is under its own group under The Realm of Silver, so civ acknowledgement appears to be there somewhere.

On the other hand, "In 706, late autumn, (7th of Timber) Ashro became the Warlord of The Ardent Lures" for a brief time, he remained a member of The Creamy Confederacy even after death, yet The Ardent Lures are still listed as an independent entity.

Any progress on artifact teleportation back to their original zone bug? Do player named "artifacts" count for this bug?

The 5k goblins of the elven civ are back in Bralbaard's save. At some point I'll just have to manually kill them all just to be sure... At this point I'm just throwing my hands in the air, shaking my head and moving on. Just writing this to update the knowledge bank.

I remember reading earlier in the thread that there's an invisible undead problem. I found a workaround for whoever's interested:

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11299#c40968

"Completely unrelated", around 759, this guy was stalking around the entrance of
Should this be kept as a spoiler or be put in the main page to warn people? After all, it's an invisible undead that you can't A it...

I have some suspicion on who it is, but I think I'll copy the save, release the thing, let it kill me and then hopefully see what actually killed me.

Update: It's not the one I thought it was.

That damned necromancer (not an adventurer, a legit olden necromancer) has been raising more than one intelligent undead around there. I suggest you wall yourself in if you survive walling one of the creatures. There may be more invisible undead around there...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:07:42 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 10, 2021, 07:47:52 pm »

Saga of the Cave Bear

My name is Arcturus Cinderfang. I am a black bear man, and hunter. I have hunted along the slopes of the Perfect Horns ever since I was old enough to venture out alone.

As far back as I can remember, I have lived here, in this cave. It is known to outsiders as the Brutal Gloom. I just call it home. It was carved out by the ancient kobolds, but they are all gone now. The goblins here found me as an infant and raised me as their own. The only clue I have to my true origins is an amulet of teeth left to me by my mother, who died shortly after we were found.

Our cave may owe its allegiance to the Creamy Confederacy, but we are so far removed from our parent civilization that it hardly matters. Any travelers from the heartland would need to cross the Perfect Horns, or else take the long way around the mountains and brave the haunted wastes and goblin patrols. Even the most zealous tax collector would balk at such a journey.

Yes, few people pay any mind to our little sanctuary. Few that is, save for the elves. No one knows why they attack us, but they have made three attempts to destroy our home. Each time, they were driven back by clever tactics and the ingenious traps left to us by the kobolds. Those battles occurred many years before my birth, and for a time it seemed they had been beaten for good. Yet we never let our guard down, and now a terrifying rumour has reached us.

The elves come to annihilate us once again. They go at the behest of their recently crowned dread queen, Vafice Lutecover. An ancient being, once slain, but raised to serve as an unliving weapon by the necromantic scourge of the north. Alas, Asno Dancefiends, the strategist who foiled them in the past, is no longer here. She left to infiltrate the citadel of Poisonuttered some years ago. There are few here now who could hope to repel such an invasion.

I am the best warrior we have, but I cannot fight an army. As one of the few with the skills to cross the wastes, I have been given a greater duty. I must reach the heart of the Confederacy and beseech our liege lord for aide.

Before leaving, I make a visit to the burial chamber of our long-dead kobold predecessors. Their artifice has kept us safe in the past, and I ask them to continue to protect my family in my absence.

Our people have a custom where travelers will take a kobold bone with them when leaving on a long journey. With the importance of my mission in mind, I pick out a sturdy-looking skull. It will serve as a reminder of home, no matter how far I must wander.

A few near misses remind me that the traps in these twisting halls still pose a danger, even to those of us who live amongst them. It’s said that the walls can shift when you aren’t looking. A safe passage yesterday may lead to deadly peril today if you aren’t wary. The aged and venerable mechanisms may have suffered some wear over the centuries, but their envenomed weapons still offer swift death to anyone without a careful eye and quick reflexes. I take comfort in the fact that the elves will not be able to breach our sanctum without taking heavy losses.

I reach the surface. The air here is cool and refreshing. It’s been some time since I left the underground. From my memory of the seasons, it must be sometime in the waning days of summer.

Not far from the cave entrance, I spy a small encampment. I approach and find Ithra, a familiar if somewhat reclusive goblin. There is also an elf. Ithra explains that the elf is Disa Verseglitter, the captured leader of one of the previous invasions. Ordinarily, prisoners would be confined to the dungeon pits in the deepest part of the cave. Ithra starts by saying that she thought there would be a risk to having the prisoner behind our defenses, but quickly admits that she was frightened away by the rumours of invasion and brought Disa along as a bargaining chip. After some debate, I decide to take both with me. The prisoner may prove useful in the lands beyond, even if she hasn’t revealed much yet.

Further along, I find two more elf prisoners and another goblin with the same idea. One of the prisoners is another military commander. I entrust her to the goblin. The other, however, is a regular soldier. Leaving two elves out here with one goblin to guard them is an unacceptable risk. I take the necessary action.

The elf carried a concealed knife, as well as some books she was allowed to keep. Self-aggrandizing drivel. I expected more from the fabled elven warrior-poets.

I give the books to Disa. Perhaps she can find some appreciation for them. But for now, we must begin our trek into the Waste of Strangeness. Many tales of horror surround this cursed desert. I don’t wish to tarry long enough to see their truth for myself.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 10, 2021, 10:55:05 pm »

Question: can you take a site in the name of your civilization in adventure mode? What happens when you claim a site claimed by another group/civ? Do they attack you until something else happens or what? Can you give a site to a group you're not a part of? Does taking the site change your group affiliation?

Yes. I did that multiple times as Iden, that's why the Walled Dye owns all those villages in the north. If you claim a site claimed by another group, you can sometimes take it over by claiming the site then killing the site leader, that's what happened with Pis. He was the site leader, then Iden killed him and and Iden briefly became the lord before he burned to death. Taking the site doesn't change your civ affiliation, it makes you lord of a new group under that civ.

Great first post nogoodnames! Looking forward to reading more!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 11, 2021, 08:54:52 am »

That is an interesting starting site, and a good start to your story, Nogoodnames.

As for the Emerald Crown' I haven't really had the time to write anything concrete lately'
I hope you'll find some time soon. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, and it seems from legends mode etc. that some pretty weird stuff happened during the final part of your turn.

Meanwhile I have written the final part of my story, It can be found here.
I only barely made it out of the Iron Deep, that place is a trap  :P.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:07:04 am by Bralbaard »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 11, 2021, 03:01:10 pm »

Great final entry Bralbaard. You may actually be immune to burning, because the way burning kills you in DF is through blood loss, which is no longer an issue for you. I'm not sure if it's something you'd want to test though, because you never know with DF.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 11, 2021, 03:30:30 pm »

I did not want to take the risk to test it, but the thought to escape the Iron Deep through the magma sea crossed my mind, it would have been nice to emerge victorious from a nearby volcano on the map. In any case, looking at my unharmed clothing I thought I just did not get hot enough to ignite. I never thought about the blood mechanics behind it.

I exchanged some personal messages with Lurker Z about the invisible undead that he found. I'm in a bit of doubt if we should keep a list of sites with issues. It would be quite difficult to properly update, (bugged creatures may move to other sites, some crashes may not repeat, some crashes may be fixed by game updates or by ourselves, etc. ).
There are quite a lot of sites with crashes, but also sites with serious issues (Like Swordgleamed)
Do we need something to keep track of this, or is it enough just to keep the general warning up that people should save often because instability is to be expected?

Also I have not really heard any negative opinions about the AdvFort thing. I think we should give it a try. Feel free to use it. If things don't go south in the next few turns I'll add it to the official rules. 

The maps and missions have been updated.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:33:19 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 11, 2021, 04:19:05 pm »

I'm fine either way. I figure we could always put things in spoiler and see what comes of it.

I was to Swordgleamed in that save, yes, it started lagging hard around the, you know, nearly 3000 people in one room thing, but it didn't crash or anything, I could talk to people, I walked away without trouble etc.

If we're reporting troublesome places, I nominate Stealmountain in The Devious Crest in The Tundra of Heroes. It lags horrible even if there's only one corpse or two around there and the place is officially abandoned.
It's the first terrain that made me grateful for the jump option.
This might have something to do with it though:
I might investigate this further in fortress mode.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 11, 2021, 08:19:56 pm »

Day 1

Not half a day into our journey and the wastes reveal the truth behind one legend. It does indeed rain blood here. The sharp metallic scent is unmistakable to my sensitive nose. Though, a detail eludes me. There are some subtleties that hint at an animal source, but I can’t pinpoint it. Not elven, goblin, or any beast I am familiar with.

Regardless, it’s quite unpleasant to stand in. We’ll all need a long bath once we get past this.

The sun is low in the sky, and we have reached a river. The water is cold, but I am glad to wash away the coating of unnatural gore. Following this river should lead us out of the wastes. I Would guess we are about halfway through them now. Unfortunately, that means we will need to spend a night here.

A little further on, the river runs red with the strange red blood. I am suddenly suspicious of how clean it was where we crossed. And somewhat concerned with the drink I took from it.

As night begins to fall, the blood rain returns. Except now it is cold enough that the blood falls as odd frozen chunks. Not quite snowflakes, too thick and slushy.

We had just finished hunting some vultures for dinner. I tossed an errant bone near Disa, and without warning she sprang at me with a knife. Must have been waiting for her chance. Either thought the distraction and low light would be enough of an advantage, or the bone was the last straw and she couldn’t wait for a better opportunity. Foolish. Ithra quickly removes her ability to fight. I offer one chance at surrender, then finish it. At least we might sleep better now without wondering if she’ll try to slit our throats.

We decide to make camp there. I construct a funeral pyre for the elf. More dignity than she deserves, but the body could attract scavengers.

Day 2

The night passes without further incident. We set off again, heading northwest.

The day starts poorly. The blood rain returns. I try to hunt more vultures, but one flies off with my good knife still stuck in it.

Around midmorning we encounter a goblin patrol group. Archers in service to the demon lord who rules these wastes. Not friendly. One fires a bolt that skims my ear. We reverse course and quickly get out of range.

We must skirt around one of their dark fortresses to escape the wastes. Have to be careful here, there are bound to be many more patrols ahead.

Watching the black tower loom out of the horizon, I realize I have made a mistake in our path. The goblin fortifications here press right up against the mountains. There’s little chance of us making it through unseen. We’re hemmed in by smaller pits. Going around will take many hours. Instead, I make the decision to cross the mountains here where they are relatively small.

The low mountains here are flush with verdant grasses and wildflowers. For one such as I, who has spent his life bordered by lifeless stone and dead wastes, it is truly an amazing sight. The rock underneath is black and glossy, offering a stunning contrast. I recognize it as obsidian, known to be exceptional for cutting tools. Unfortunately, I can’t find any chunks the right size to work with here.

We reach a shallow mountain stream and follow it on its winding downward path. At the foot of the mountains I see something that sends shivers of ancestral recognition through me. Trees! Actual trees! I have heard the elven prisoners describe such thing, but never thought they could be so large nor so majestic! No desert scrub or hardy mountain plant can compare. Even the fungal forests of the deep caverns do not capture such serenity! If this is commonplace, I am beginning to see why outsiders call our cave “The Brutal Gloom.” As if waiting for its cue, a light shower begins. Not blood, but clean, cool rain. It cleanses us of the gore and grime from our trek through the wastes. I feel reborn.

I pause here for some time to collect some of the bountiful berries growing here. I also fashion an axe from a tree branch and some local stone. Not obsidian, sadly, but it should serve as a decent replacement for my lost knife.

We encounter another group of goblin soldiers in the wilderness. Apparently, they rule these lands as well. I take the risk to see if they are willing to talk. One responds eagerly, but his threatening advancement belies his peaceful intentions. I kite him along so we have the numerical advantage.

He’s cocky, thinks we’re a couple of clueless peasants. Ithra takes a wound from the goblin’s lash, but her sacrifice allows me to circle around the aggressor. My axe chips against his copper armour, but the force behind the blow makes it through. The goblin squeals in pain, realizing his mistake too late. His friends can’t help him now.

By the end of it, both my axe and Ithra’s knife lie shattered on the ground, but the goblin is dead. I grab everything he had of use. We depart before his friends can figure out what happened.

The goblin spoke of some reclaimed pits nearby. There will likely be a lot of activity around them. We’ll need to be cautious. We stop for a while so I can replace my axe. I give Ithra the dead goblin's equipment. She confesses to me that she always dreamed of being a warrior. Perhaps this is the chance she has been waiting for.

We lay down to rest. A cougar ambushes us in the middle of the night. Grogginess slows me. Fortunately, Ithra kept watch and knows how to handle it.

The rest of the night passes peacefully.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:24 pm »

Biting down on an apex predator sure seems like a way to handle things. I'm enjoying the writing so far, I wonder what kind of submission your noble savage will make. More skulls? Like a Gorlak once said, we're pretty well off in the phrenology department.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 12, 2021, 03:16:59 pm »

Damn, Ithra is a beast.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 12, 2021, 05:05:29 pm »

Quote from: Ithra
Omnomnom
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 12, 2021, 05:21:54 pm »

That's a very interesting story going on; hope the bear doesn't get torn apart before reaching civilization' the north has been quite lethal in the past' and I'm personally waiting for the culture shock when he sees a city for the first time.

Meanwhile I have written the final part of my story, It can be found here.
I only barely made it out of the Iron Deep, that place is a trap  :P.
You actually found Thon's corpse! I failed to locate it despite giving the area a decent combover and thought it lost; we do' however' have a matching head in the museum' so hopefully one of the adventurers to make it will reunite them.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 12, 2021, 05:45:00 pm »

Bears are Bad News, but Ithra is even worse news for anyone who tries to fight the two of them. Good start, and I'm interested to see where this goes!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 262