Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409505 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #870 on: April 26, 2021, 09:39:06 am »

I love that you included a screenshot of a wolf biting Ithra, then Ithra biting the wolf back to establish dominance.

What a fantastic adventure! The drawings really make it special. Even without anything world-shaking taking place, I think this is still one of the best adventures we've had yet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 26, 2021, 05:20:22 pm »

I really liked that one as well. Am I mistaken in seeing your character was imprisoned after you retired?

I started my adventure last night, not a lot of note going on just yet, but I did make it back to the museum after a hefty trek. Will post tonight or tomorrow and continue from there.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 26, 2021, 05:34:15 pm »

Thank you!

Yes, he did in fact get captured by the elves. Apparently, Arcturus managed to remind everyone that they are currently at war. He and Ithra immediately got sent out alone to invade a forest retreat on the far end of the continent. I would guess that they were literally the only available warriors in the Creamy Confederacy.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 27, 2021, 02:05:57 am »

Adventures of Pik and Desli, Resurrected, Part I;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 02, 2021, 02:43:01 pm »

Adventures of Pik and Desli, Resurrected, Part II;

And here, then, is a map of their route;

The original intention was to retire in the south at that new camp, but late last night I realized I really didn't have time or energy left to do that, as it was like 2am. So I went further north to the end of the world.

Game crashed like, 6 separate times, so lots of things I wanted to include "never happened", and several hours of gameplay were lost in total. Pik died and got resurrected like twice in these lost saves, but none of that made the cut obviously. Im sure theres also erroneous information in the story still as a result. I didn't have time to make even a rudimentary fort this time.

The file is uploading, its just taking its sweet damn time.

Here we go: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15515
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:02:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 03, 2021, 06:38:54 am »

That's a journey and a half!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 03, 2021, 04:25:14 pm »

That makes it your turn TheFlame52.

In the meantime I'll try to catch up with updating the relevant posts, and reading of the recent posts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 03, 2021, 04:39:54 pm »

Uh oh. I'm working super overtime until the end of May and won't have time to really play until then. Can I get bumped back a few spots?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 03, 2021, 06:31:28 pm »

Overtime is what kicked my ass too, thats why I didn't have time to make a fort. Did about an hour of playing every night during my workweek, and that's when most of the crashes happened too. Wednesday night was trash. Lost everything. Maybe next time...
I make Spellcrafts!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 05, 2021, 05:47:50 am »

Uh oh. I'm working super overtime until the end of May and won't have time to really play until then. Can I get bumped back a few spots?

No problem, that makes it Lurker Z's turn.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 05, 2021, 10:53:42 am »

Just the prepwork so far, but it's a lot of work just talking to people asking directions, quests and such.

Spoiler: Entry 1 (click to show/hide)

Entry 2

I arrive at Ulosothro, but there I hear rumours of foul things. Of a plague arrived with an adventurer that has now gotten half the council, our ruler included. Usually, I'd want to bless them in the name of Otu, but I remember Urwa's tale. Of him being attacked not once, but twice by beasts and forced to flee. It stinks of conspiracy to me, so I go in with thunder in my steps and in my very body and leave my life to the Gods.

As I approach though, I look around and do not like my odds. One lone traveler with iron weapons and a bronze shield against my entire country's rulership, for good or ill. I put away my dark thoughts and continue muttering prayers and consecrating the land in Otu's name and hope for the best.

I see something on a pedestal there for the taking, the inhabitants apparently uncaring. Ligircaspa Osmahegesh, Clearingheaven the Quescnt Hthr, the inscription says, apparently losing words towards the end, an anhydrite amulet. I wonder if this will be enough for the museum. Now, I know what some will think: who would risk trecking the world with a priceless artifact that belongs to their parent civilization? Yet the amulet draws me to it and I cannot help to think that it is the will of the Gods that I have found this first and that I was told of the museum. Still, this complicates my journey further. I cannot lose such a precious item in the wilderness less woe befall my soul even beyond death.

I scout the place until finally I confront Uja on what she is... and she admits. And nobody does nothing. And then we talk like we're normal people. I don't know what to do. Attacking her, with her entire household around, might not look good. It might be that she gets demoted... and then what? I know not. I decide to just take everything in this (now) forsaken place and make my way to the Museum with the amulet. Maybe I'll survive to tell the tale. What a fool I feel like...

OOC: Well this is awkward... nothing bad can happen if I let the vampires rule Omon Obin, right? Right?...

At least I have my entry for the Museum, now to survive long enough to deliver it.

Entry 2.5
I was going to go to the Museum, except for every step I make, others make 5 more steps. Reluctantly, I must return to my house to stash my goods. They're nothing important except a gem that I will probably keep on me, but it's better they rest in my quiet, blessed town than in the hands of undead monstrosities that nobody bothers to cast out of the capital. I'm a little peeved, can you tell?

Just as night sets, I find Polishedwanes. I rest here, of course. A nice fellow, Jonu Thefinkteng, lets me sleep on his floor for the night (though he has no bed not even for himself... how low we have fallen indeed). I make small talk with him until I rest for the night.

Entry 2.6
Home sweet home! Now I have to leave again... to the museum!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:30:15 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 10, 2021, 11:04:50 am »

Entry 3
On my way to the West, the bleak creature Mondul Dieghosts attacks me (don't ask how I know its name). After a few slashes and stabs of my sword, it, surprisingly, runs away. Was it because dawn was coming? Was it because it didn't find easy pray? Who knows. I rather regret not killing it. A poor human infected by a wretched disease is one thing, but these things were never human to begin with (well, as far as I know). On the other hand, I thank all the Gods that they helped me pull through. At one time I was bleeding and while I wanted to wound or kill the thing, I am alive and continuing in my journey and I suppose that should be enough.

My surprise and general elation is short-lived, as the creature turns out to have just been hiding either in the snow or around the trees. A ferocious fight to the death ensues, no quarter given, none taken. I, with my faithful iron short sword, and it, with its claws. The fight takes less than I expected - I was told stories of fights taking hours with these kinds of creatures - as I finally manage to open some of its arteries, making the creature bleed to death. I shall haul its corpse proudly. Unfortunately, there's no use returning home to leave this thing, as I'll be in the same problem I started with - I'll be once again caught on the road at night and attacked by one of these things. So, all I can do is gather the creature's corpse and my thrown around teeth and continue on my way.

It turns out, I was not far away from a fort called Tiquaabuth. It would have been fine to spend the night in. Maybe I'll leave the corpse here? No... It's my first and I want to show off my skills.

[small]Small scribbling on the paper: Gods damn it, almost lost my shield and spear (not that the latter got any use out of) in the night. Good thing I could follow back my tracks the relative short distance to retrieve them. Even if I won't get any use out of them, I'd rather not lose them.[/small]

The fort is surprisingly full, and pleasantly surprising full of humans. There is surprisingly a high chamberlain and a justicar here and even an Overseer, Sizet Dulispishab. I quickly find that it's in the possession of The Wild Clans, a group with Omon Obin relations, but not directly suborned to us. I decide to take shelter only for a short while before moving on. They do say I'm much more south than I expected and I have a longer journey. Well, needs must and all that. Can't give up now.

On my way north, I am attacked by an alligator. I almost feel sorry for it. Almost. As if feeling my intent, it knows it is outmatched after a few sword blows and leaves me be. I'm in too much of a hurry to tarry for its measly skin, so I carry on.
On my trek through the night, a mountain goat collapses into me and bleeds to death. Stupid fauna.

Entry 3.5

I finally entered the Tundra of Heroes. Trecking through the Bearded Horns was a chore, especially at night. I especially regret that I missed what I'm most certain was a volcano, as I stumbled trying not to fall into the mountainous crevices. Well, onward.

Entry 3.6

I see a Dark Fortress in the distance. If this is one of those "slowing down" things, I don't want to go near it. I try to circumvent it, hopefully with success.

Entry 3.7 (Malachite 19)

Finally, day! I thought the night would last forever in these lands. Hungry, thirsty, surrounded by unknown creatures, but I continue on.

Entry 3.8

Found Buraturot, another fort. What secrets does it hold, I wonder?
Looks like another independent fort, though at this distance I don't know if it's from Omon Obin or some other humans. I suppose it doesn't really matter. I approach cautiously, there are signs of battle...

Dead goblin just at the gate. Ecen Droopystrike and his meager belongings. I'm not sure if it deserves to be memorialized here, filthy golbin that it is, but so be it.
Inside there are teeth of a Stren Memimshibbi. Might be worth seeing to them.

More dead goblins inside the bedrooms. Good riddance I say, but still, this looks... unsanitary.

Ah, and there's Stren Memimshibbi, along with Sushsath Othlabiner, Muthe Wishoonec and Geb Lukishem. I drop Ecen's corpse with the others, I suppose this is as good as a burial place as any. I'm taking the teeth with me though, I don't know why. Maybe I'll make a necklace out of them or something. I also find a silver carving knife, looks better than the walnut wood one I have, so I replace it.

I find an abandoned monastery, but nothing inside. Either it was always empty or is long looted. I find Isunatra just as night falls. I'll be glad not to travel once again through the night. I don't even ask who's home, I just find an empty room and plop inside for the night.

In the morning I find a brimstone 4-sided die next to the statue of a goblin Amxu Sprydooms. This is "encouraging". I roll, and Mata Swiftjudged says to expect a change. Alright then...

And change it is. I find the town's meeting hall, full of goblins. Time for a change in a few creature's life alright!

After I manage to kill one of them, the others run around like headless chicken - were they really headless! I try to chase them, but eventually decide while I want to end the threat, I have to go on my way. With a heavy heart, I let the others live in their pathetic panic.
Entry 3.9
I've arrived in Rinihaloc. Let's see what fate has to give me.

I find a better shield here. I feel kind of bad replacing my constant companion that I currently drag along, but I can't deny the quality improvement, even if it's still bronze.

As night arrives again, I find Dothanest. If I remember my geography well, it's one of the first settlements of The Creamy Confederacy. I guess I'll be killing goblin monarchs sooner than I'll arrive at The Museum. But sleep first.

OOC: No pictures, though I have some screens saved. I'm more or less rushing to finish the quest because the deadline is coming.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:05 am »

Entry 4.

This place is not only an unseemly maze, it also appears to be deserted. I haven't encountered a soul here.

I find a room fool of valuables, but no great weapon, not greater than I currently have. There's also a pit... with a goblin ruling, this sends chills down my spine... should I just jump in?

Spoiler: Dothanest Pit (click to show/hide)

Oh... oooooooooh... I might have found the catacombs... or tombs... or whatever these are... interesting...

It's full of loot, but again, nothing that I don't already have. I'll be taking these skeletons, because I have a feeling there's something around that'll want to bring them back...

I found a named skeleton, Didde Ximfod. I wonder what that's about. Hope they don't resurrect in my pack...
And a Lasiv Omonumci. And an Alnos Gicastrusna.

Hey, iron shield! I'll take that!

And an iron helm!

It's almost too bad I'm near the end of my adventure. I would have loved to adventure in these.

Well, I'm putting these corpses in the chests I found. I'm sure nothing can go wrong.

You know what, out of respect for... me? My Gods? My victims? I don't know, but I think I'll put Mondul's corpse here too. I don't know if he deserves to be entombed, but I've been hauling this carcass from one end of the world to the other and I'm frankly tired of it. It can rest with the bones of these people for all I care. I suppose it's better than just butchering it.
Nevermind that, I can't stuff even the skeletons in everything that's around me. I suppose I'll be hauling the named corpses for... reasons? They might be holy somewhere. Maybe.
And after looting what I could... I met goblins. But if they're as fast as they were above and I'm so encumbered... it's funny, I went here to kill gobs, and now my plans were ruined. I'll make my way back up, then I'll see what I'll see.

OOC: So I arrived at Boltspumpkin. I'm not sure if I'm happy or not with this adventure. It's not like I avoided my goals, but I didn't go out of my way for them, then time started ticking and here I am. The night creature encounter was probably avoidable, but it added some action to the story. Glad I got that one gob though, even if the rest ran like cowards. Dothanest was interesting, maybe I should have spent more time there.

It's a shame I didn't have time for a fortress, next time I'll rush the adventure I guess or I'll have more motivation.

All in all, I arrived at my goal without significant problems. Sorry for the less adventure than most others have done. I'm pretty sure a vault or HFS would have minced me, so I hope you enjoyed what you got. I'll have final entries and upload the save tomorrow.

Question: Does the map at the start of the thread only contain player-made locations or should there be added places players visited? If the latter, I'd request adding Dothanest to the map, it's The Creamy Confederacy's capital.

Edit: Getting near The Shelter of Adventurers FPS-killed my save twice. The first time it took 5 minutes to let me walk one more time, then just froze. The second just froze. It's a good thing I saved just before putting Ligircaspa Osmahegesh on the Pedestal.

Edit more: 3rd time I tried bypassing it to the south. FPS death when I get near it, presumably when it gets loaded.

Yeah, no, sorry, I'll bypass it because it lets move a tile per 5 seconds and I consider that's a good case scenario. It also lets me quick-travel, fortunately.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:22:11 pm by Lurker Z »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 11, 2021, 07:01:00 pm »

Entry 5.
23rd of Malachite and I'm finally here! The famed Boltspumpkin. Now I can leave my due and see to my business. It's just breaking dawn as I arrive.

I search frantically for Ligircaspa Osmahegesh, for a moment fearing I'd lost it, before finally finding it in a sheep wool bag. Somewhat fitting, or perhaps unfitting, who knows. I gently put it on the =persimmon wood pedestal=, already thinking that I should find something grander to put it on. It is the jewel of Omon Obin after all, and I went to great trouble bringing it here. I'm considering returning to Omon Obin with the riches of The Creamy Confederacy, though hopefully no more night creatures rule us since that time.

I am directed to a place called The Shelter of Adventurers, but the closer I try to get to it, the more my feet feel like putty. I try bypassing it to the south, but it's almost as bad. Something bad has happened there, maybe the start of the corruption? I've fought dark creatures in my travel, but nothing compares to the hopelessness of just being frozen there, in time, forever more.

No, I have no choice, I must move on. I have a lot of bodies and hopefully the gravekeeper will help me dispose of them. I couldn't just throw them around the museum, though I saw many interesting bones around there.

As I get close to Herograves, I find a field of teeth. Well, since I'm making a collection anyway... I am grateful to the Gods that it has also not been hit by the dreaded corruption.

I look around all day for something, but other than teeth and what I can assume are goblin apparel, there's nothing around here. Where are you supposed to actually bury things?

Night is falling on the 23rd of Malachite so I take shelter in Ashabkastrol.

I find shelter with a few bags, and you know what? I'll dump all my literal skeletons here. If the graveskeeper is not around, maybe the townfolk can tell them what they've seen.

Well, I've done it, and surprisingly enough with space to spare. I feel much liter, possibly more literal than figuratively. This is probably a temple of some sort, too many pedestals, so it's probably the right place to do this. I don't even feel bad sleeping here.

See you tomorrow!

Entry 6.
I return to Dothanest. It's still deserted. Whatever inhabitants live here probably inhabit the underways like... goblins, I suppose. I sleep here for the night.

Last entry: Malachite 27 - after what feels like years but barely 2 weeks later, I return home to the quiet murmuring of the holy men and women that populate The Permanency of Chains. A fitting name, I wonder? I bring much loot from The Creamy Confederacy, mostly in weapons, having stashed most of the jewels. I know it does not bode well for these men of peace, but is all around it. And at worse, we can sell the items for food and prosperity or arm out fellow Omon Obiners.

I'm home.

Spoiler: Home (click to show/hide)

Save file: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15526
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:08:07 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 12, 2021, 02:21:52 am »

Great story! Worrying news about the shelter of adventurers. I' m away from my computer this week so I can not check, but is this another undead invasion?

I've caught up with reading all of the stories, but I still need to update the relevant posts. I' ll do that later this week as editing posts on mobile is a pain.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 263