Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 260

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 391972 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #285 on: July 02, 2020, 01:25:11 am »

Sigh...

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15132

So' there was quite an unfortunate incident involving a cave dragon' two copper carving knives and remarkably ill-advised bravery. I can't into fortress mode' so let's press on. I need some time to do a proper writeup' but it's gonna be here soon.

Also' good luck!
Also also' put me on the list again please' maybe next time I'll have a more storied adventure.

Love the little poem at the DFFD site. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2020, 02:49:33 am »

I won’t be able to start my turn for a few days unfortunately, I didn’t expect to get the save game this early and I have stuff on tomorrow and two days after it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 02, 2020, 03:16:31 am »

I won’t be able to start my turn for a few days unfortunately, I didn’t expect to get the save game this early and I have stuff on tomorrow and two days after it.

It's fine with me to wait a few days before you pick it up.
If anybodies hands are itching: I guess someone else could pick it up and build a fortress in the meantime? (no adventuring!) Save game with the fort should be uploaded by sunday if I understand correctly.
Please post if you've picked it up, so that we have only one person working on this.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »

It's fine with me to wait a few days before you pick it up.
If anybodies hands are itching: I guess someone else could pick it up and build a fortress in the meantime? (no adventuring!) Save game with the fort should be uploaded by sunday if I understand correctly.
Please post if you've picked it up, so that we have only one person working on this.

Well,with time on my hands, I might as well finish up my fortress. 

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »

created a pixel art depicting Thon, and his two fellow adventurers, Sekur, and Tohwot fighting the Ettin in the shadow of Flinching.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2020, 02:58:58 am »

Awesome! I can tell you are the bottom left one, with the morion crown.

so you have resumed work on Healerlashes?
 I..may have a confession to make..
How do I say this..
I was going to post about it, but my adventurer might have stolen your only anvil from the embark wagon, and might have helped himself to some of your booze supply. :P

It has all been put to good use, I swear.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:43:10 am by Bralbaard »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2020, 10:19:39 pm »

Awesome! I can tell you are the bottom left one, with the morion crown.

so you have resumed work on Healerlashes?
 I..may have a confession to make..
How do I say this..
I was going to post about it, but my adventurer might have stolen your only anvil from the embark wagon, and might have helped himself to some of your booze supply. :P

It has all been put to good use, I swear.

It's fine, I am trying to build a tavern fort. Anyway here's the file https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15136

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2020, 07:49:26 am »

My business went on a bit longer than I expected it to, but I’ll be claiming the save first thing tomorrow morning if all goes well.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2020, 04:37:14 am »

I have the save, will post updoots soon.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2020, 02:58:43 pm »

It is generally agreed that the world is round. If you stand in the right place, the curvature of the horizon is impossible to ignore. What is not generally agreed upon is what covers the world beyond The Valley. In the south, where the inland Sea of Blades is the largest body of water, it is said that The World Beyond is covered in mountains. In the north, where The Fingers of Affliction are to many little more than a gap between bodies of water, it is said that the Ocean covers The World Beyond.

The people of the north do not know the unspeakably vast majesty of the greatest peaks of The Perfect Horns, and the people of the south do not know the unspeakably vast majesty of the endless horizon of The Peaceful Waters. Neither throughout the centuries have proven conductive to travel, and few ever go to the opposite ends of The Valley to see the respective barriers of the north and south. Only to those few who do, and grasp the sheer size of each respective barrier free from the distortions of merchants and travellers and adventurers and dry, dusty tomes ever come to the conclusion that the answer may be both, or neither.

This story starts in the south, surrounded on all sides by the titanic mountains of The Perfect Horns, in a cave called Blowechoes the Scars of Coal, where a lone Dwarf with greying hair and wrinkled skin sits in a corner, putting pen to paper.

The Journal of Logen Berelas, Greyseer
24th of Galena, 714

I have lived my life in and around this cave. When I was young, I played with friends in the little nooks and crannies of this place. I have hunted beasts in the caverns below, and climbed the mountains above. I have plied my trade as a bonecarver here. I have grown old here. One month ago, I looked up from my work, and I realised that I was going to die here, and be forgotten like my ancestors were forgotten. I have become a very different dwarf to the one I once was. It's been a long time since I feared change like I used to. So I'm leaving. I've gathered my things, I've said my goodbyes, and I don't expect I shall return. I want to see what the world has to offer, the places there are to see, the secrets there are to find, I want to see The Peaceful Waters of the north, where the sea goes on in every direction as far as boats can sail, or I will die trying.

Whatever I find, whatever mementos and things I gather, I intend to bring them to the Museum of Boltspumpkin, and present them for whatever it is they may be worth. I see no use in dawdling further, so I'm going now. And if I do die, then at least it won't have been in this cave.

In a valley winding its way from its base to the south to some unseen ending far to the north through the titanic mountains stands a rocky little hill, just east of the thin river at the valley's centre. All through this valley, as far as the eye can see there is only rocky wasteland. From a hole in the hill's side, a figure emerges, clad in cloak and hood to shield from the sun, high in the cloudless sky above. A gentle breeze blows in from the west, and the cloak rises a little.

Far below, the river winds its way through the rocks and sand. A little way ahead, He can see the Monastery. The last bit of home he intends to visit before he goes.

Soon, he reaches the river, and begins following it north, to the Monastery.

He had gone up and down this path a lot when he was younger to pray, back when Gods had played a large part in his life.

even back then, no-one remembered a time when any actual monks lived here, but it was still a place of worship regardless.

People have come to these rough, but expertly made stone buildings and scattered shrines poking out of The Desert of Eviscerators to honour the gods for centuries. The Dwarf doesn't take long to find what he's looking for, he knows where it is.

He looks up.
'Thanks for the sterling advice, My Lord Obvious, right on fuckin' time.'
He takes the die, and places it in his bag. In the past dice had been lost during visits, but there was always a replacement to be found when they next came to the shrine, so he didn't feel particularly bad about it.
'Whole lotta fuckin' use it'll be if Great And Mighty An's gonna be like that all the time.'
He puts the Rucksack on his back, and after a long sigh, he begins the long trek north, into the great unknown.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2020, 03:05:55 pm »

I'm liking it

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2020, 05:39:13 pm »

Soon, the dacite and sand becomes basalt and clay, then red sand and obsidian, as the Dwarf passes by the Volcanoes in the north of the valley. Finally, as night begins to fall on the barren landscape, the Dwarf settles down by a boulder and lights a fire beside the now-frozen river.

He soon drifts off to sleep.

25th of Galena, 714

I spent most of yesterday heading north to the end of the valley. I picked up a Divination Die from the Monastery, and I can only assume that the Gods consider themselves to be spectacularly witty in the timing and wording of their divine words, because the die basically told me not to stick around. Thanks, I could have used that revelation a few decades ago when my legs didn't get stiff in the morning and I might have had a chance of coming back alive from this.

Anyways, I had some breakfast, and I headed out north again at dawn. My aim is to reach the old Fortress of keyconjure in the North-west. No-one's lived there in any of recorded history, but Dwarven metal endures long ages, and there's got to be at least one or two good finds left for the picking. I can only hope I don't run into too much trouble on the way. I can only hope.

The Dwarf bundles his things together again, and sets them into his rucksack, leaving the little fire he had re-kindled for cooking his breakfast to burn out in the red sands. The mountains loom over him on both sides, and the valley is deathly cold despite the clear sky and the sun rising from behind the peaks. He shivered, rubbed his hands together, and began to walk. There are thick clouds in the distance.

Following the river down its course, he after a while becomes hungry and thirsty. He stops by at the riverbank to fill his waterskins and eat his fill, but as he left, he stopped. His gut is screaming to him that something isn't right. That he isn't safe. Then, he sees the alligator.

He drops his shield, and grabs his sword from his former right arm.

It doesn't help him.

Soon, he has no arms.

Soon, he has nothing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2020, 05:44:23 pm »

Well shit.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2020, 03:50:48 am »

...Well, that was fast enough to cause whiplash.

Good try, at any rate.

(Also, this seems appropriate as music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EMEzjtsCk)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:58:14 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2020, 06:00:38 pm »

The gods once again remind us not to dilly dally the hard way

I enjoyed your story at least, nice use of stock images
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 260