Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 408288 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #525 on: November 02, 2020, 02:53:32 pm »

Wow, very cool. I wonder when we'll hit the point where the older adventurers start dying of old age. Good luck in the strange world of the future Bralbaard!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 02, 2020, 03:15:02 pm »

There are two new sites, Gor, "The Pit" and Tathbom "Duskhome" both sound very inviting.
I'll update the maps later, first, I'll get my adventurer started!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 02, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »

The journal of Raki Umberclan

Today the most dreadful thing happened. I have won the lottery.
Bear with me and I will explain. The elves here have decided that they should submit an item to the museum. The museum is a place far away from here, beyond the forests, beyond the mountains, and beyond the light knows what more. Because they could not agree who they should sent (it is apparently a great honour to be chosen as the one to deliver this submission) they have held a lottery. And yes indeed, I was the winner. All the elves are envious for this great honour that has befallen me.

Me, Raki Umberclan, a lion tamarin man.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have never left the home tree in my life, nor do I want to.  I’ve lived my whole life between these branches, and this life is all I need.
Sadly the choice was made for me. At least they chose a worthy submission. I am to bring to the museum a barrel filled with feathers from the mother tree. Yes, the mothertree, the great home tree Faitfullcyclones. Legend has it that below this featherwood tree, the first elves came to life. It is said they were hatched from her eggs.
Regretfully it is not the time of year for the tree to carry her eggs. But the tree cares for her inhabitants all year long. Right now, at the very end of winter it carries the warmest down feathers. Down that has kept me warm in the coldest of winters. Admittedly though, winters are not cold up here. A barrel of down and branches from the first tree will be the perfect gift for the museum.
I have prepared myself well for this journey. That is to say, I am well aware of my.. ehm.. shortcomings, and have compensated for them. You see, elves are known to make fun of dwarves for their small size, but I am not even half the size of a dwarf. Because of this I have decided to spend all my credits on a traveling companion. I had to sell almost all the clothes of my back to acquire him, but am glad I did.
I will make my journey together with Umrist, the giant grizzly bear.

Ooc: Full disclosure: I’ve actually started the adventure with a group of two peasants,  because lion tamarin men can not start in elven territory. By having an adventure partner I could start in his birth site, though you can play with a party of two, we split up immediately. Sadly I could not afford a war giant grizzly. They sold them for only a few urists more.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:14:20 pm by Bralbaard »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 02, 2020, 04:21:58 pm »

I'm in love with Raki, this is awesome. Good start! Looking foward to seeing Raki's adventures.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 03, 2020, 07:10:15 am »

I love your artstyle and your character so much, I’m excited to see what happens next!

There are two new sites, Gor, "The Pit" and Tathbom "Duskhome" both sound very inviting.
Duskhome isn’t actually all that bad, the name aside. I think it’s the most highly populated settlement of the Staff of Kissing, since the game just started generating new Dwarves out of thin air until the population was like 7x the total initial population of the Staff of Kissing. On my next Fortress turn I might revisit it, if only to actually make enough bedrooms for everyone.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 04, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »

Bralbaard has returned to monke
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #531 on: November 04, 2020, 04:05:18 pm »

love the art! :D

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 04, 2020, 04:19:46 pm »

17th of granite 746

The journey has been quite an experience. For the first days we travelled through elven territory. Having lived in the home tree al my life, the outside world frightened me at first. I however found that it is a beautiful place, and I need not fear, for I know Umrist can protect me. There are endless forests, and I’ve seen many wild animals. I’m looking forward to see the megabeasts of this world. I know they are dangerous, but I have heard many great stories about them. Though frightening, they are the true guardians of this world, and the protectors of nature. 

I sleep in the treetops at night. It almost feels like home.

18th of granite 746

The last day was definitely a change for the worse. We have emerged from the elven forests and are now in a strange land. The forests here have been destroyed. Endless acres of barren lands, scarred by the use of plowshares, stretch as far as the eye can see. Yet despite the clear influence of civilisation, we could not find anyone. The towns are in ruins, the people that lived here must have fled after the ecosystem collapsed. I was happy when we finally found an encampment near one of the larger towns that appeared to be inhabited.

The encampment was strange. It was like a tent, but much larger than I had ever seen. It was made entirely out of groundhog leather, and there was a concerned looking groundhog nearby.
There was a giant man inside, even taller than an elf. Based on the stories I’ve heard  I made the assumption that the giant must be a human.
I was still seated on the giant grizzly bear and I felt confident enough to adress him. The man introduced himself as Omo Chaosmark, but then he got this strange look in his eyes, and I knew I had made a terrible mistake. Judging by the tent that was made of skinned animals he was a fur trader, and he looked at my bright orange skin with great interest. The man drew a giant warhammer and lunged at me. I managed to evade the blow but fell of Umrist's back.

I had expected that the giant grizzly bear would immediately jump between me and my enemy, and that he would maul the giant with the greatest ease, but instead Umrist just stood there and looked at me with a puzzled expression. The human swung his massive hammer at me several times, (a blunt weapon, so my fur would not get damaged, I noted).  I dodged behind Umrist’s legs. But still he bear would not defend me,  I mounted Umrist and ordered it to attack the villain, but it just allowed the human to bring its hammer down on me without raising a paw. I was hit several times by Omo’s hammer, luckily not with great force, but it was clear I could not defeat the giant on my own. Instead I commanded the bear to carry me away, and luckily it obliged.

19th of granite

I made it to Razorbridge. Before I got to the fortress I had to step over dozens of dead animals; camels, cows, and other cattle.
A dwarf explained me that they all died of old age, but that made no sense at all. The disregard for animal life of these dwarves was shocking. I was about to speak out, but remembered what happened with the human fur trader earlier and tried to conceal my anger.

The fortress itself was indeed a bridge, over an ocean. I am completely at ease walking over the narrowest tree branches at great height. This however.. This endless water, and this bridge.. it scared me. A dwarf which had apparently spotted my hesitation, walked up to me and said: There's nothing to it lad, just jump in yonder minecart! The dwarf made it clear that I was not supposed to object, and once he shoved me in the cart he just pushed me down the hill without warning.
I plunged down towards the bridge at incredible speed. It was terrible! the bridge made several sharp turns but luckily so did the track. Umrist was running behind me all the time, trying to catch up. Just when I thought I was going to be fine I saw dwarves on the track!

The dwarf only jumped away at the last moment.
When I got out on the other side of the ocean I was trembling and shaking. Umrist looked as if he had great fun chasing the minecart.

21st of granite.

THE ELVES WERE WRONG. I have made it to the museum. though the journey started out well, it got worse and worse. The world is not the place I imagined it to be. It is not longer a wilderness that the elves at home spoke to me about. No, it has been tamed by dwarf, goblin and men, and they have left the place in ruin. I have not seen one of the megabeasts that are supposed to guard the world. I had expected that the museum would cheer me up and that inside I would find the true wonders of the world. But it was not so. The elves were wrong OR THEY LIED TO ME. There is nothing in the museum but weapons and corpses, stacked up as trophies.  It is all a lie, and I will find out why!

This is were the journal of Raki ends.

Everything before this point was well documented, but from here onwards, most that is known about Raki is from witness reports. The staff of the museum report that the Lion Tamarin man appeared shocked after viewing the throne of skulls and other more gruesome contributions to the museum. They also report that Raki then collected all the adventuring journals he could find, and that he withdrew to the throne of knowledge, where he started reading. They report that he read for many hours, not stopping to sleep or eat, with a feverish look in his eyes.

Then, suddenly, Raki had gotten up from the throne, and had thrown all the journals across the room. He had accused the museum staff that they had brought the world to it’s knees. He claimed that before the museum was founded, there had been a time of balance. The age of myth: when great beasts and wild nature spirits ruled the world. Yes, there had been disasters, and sometimes the world had fallen into an age of legends, but it was always brought back into a new age of myth. Even after the elves and dwarves had been nearly wiped out, the world had recovered. Raki had continued his tirade, and had claimed, with an ever more frightening look in his eyes that after the museum had opened it’s doors, it's adventurers had pillaged the world. This had triggered an age far worse than an age of legends. The number of beasts had been so decimated that they were close to extinction, and the world had fallen into an age of “heroes”

Heroes that were worshiped in this museum, BUT THAT WERE ACTUALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DOWNFALL OF THE WORLD. Raki had then vowed to destroy everything the museum stood for, and then he had left, still screaming and raging.

Slightly shaken because of this unusual visit, Theb Hearthsnarl and the other museum staff had resumed their day to day activities.

Suddenly, two hours later there had been a commotion outside of the museum, people were pointing to the horizon, and screaming. Theb ran outside and looked into the indicated direction. He saw a thick column of black smoke rising to the sky just beyond Healerlashes.
People were screaming that the monastery of Scouredbelly was on fire. A woman had fallen to her knees in the mud and was praying. Other people were crying. Even from this distance it was clear that the monastery could not be saved.

Later, when the fire had burned out rescue crews would enter the buildings, these brave men would find that the statues had been toppled, the altars desecrated. They would find dice between the ash and rubble, seemingly randomly scattered about.

But Theb did not know this yet, all he saw was big clouds of black smoke that were blotting out the sun, causing an unnatural darkness to fall over the valley. And all he could think about was the look of madness and rage he had seen in the lion tamarin man’s eyes when he had descended from the throne of knowledge.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:13:27 pm by Bralbaard »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 04, 2020, 07:55:44 pm »

The demon monkey king! Yes! I feel like the big(dare I say small?) Bad guy is under way. Kick ass end Bralbaard

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 04, 2020, 10:35:09 pm »

I love the art, and the story. Very madness, much monkey
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 05, 2020, 05:49:45 pm »

Honestly, if that monkey becomes the villain of Orid Xem. Just know that it's the elves fault.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 06, 2020, 04:23:10 pm »

These days many people hold the museum responsible for the dramatic events that happened in early 746. The museum rejects the notion that it has any responsibility in the matter, but has decided to start it’s own investigation of the events, so that they may be properly understood.

As is well known the first event that drew widespread attention was the fire at the monastery of Scouredbelly. It is now known that all the monks at the abbey survived, and because of their stories we know without doubt that Raki was responsible. Witness reports say that after razing the temple, he left northwards riding his giant grizzly bear.
What is less well known is that the bear was found several days later wandering the wilds on it’s own near Slopfolded. The beast was wounded:  it was completely covered in fresh bitemarks. One of the rangers that found him claims the scars were almost certainly caused by a very large pack of dingoes. He said it was a miracle the beast was alive, all the fur around it’s neck and head was gone. Since there was no trace of Raki he was assumed to be dead.

The soldiers were to lazy to backtrack the bear tracks and confirm their assumption, and this was a grave, grave mistake. They squandered our only chance to hunt down and kill the mad monkey.

The horrors that unfolded several days later are well reported. What is less well known is that someone saw the transformation, confirming that again, it was Raki. This Witness, which we confirm to be a reliable person, was the human Ngerxung Fancydemons. He was  standing guard on top of the main spire of the dark goblin fortress of Soundmaligned, and had little else to watch from his tower than the camp that a small monkey had set up just outside of the gates. According to him the transformation took place at midnight. Minutes later a terrible monster, a prehistoric beast twisted into humanoid form broke through the gates of the dark fortress. This was the first, but definitely not the last sighting of the weremammoth.

Over the course of the full moon this terrible monster attacked a great many villages, both human hamlets and towns, but also a few goblin settlements. The only good news is that all of the villages it attacked were already all but abandoned. There are a large number of witness reports. We spoke to approximately 20 survivors in the days right after the attack, most had terrible wounds, but doctors were convinced all of them would recover. What all stories confirm is that the monster did not attack to feed itself; in allmost all cases it attacked, causing grave injuries, but then withdrew immediately. Some of it’s victims bled out, but most survived.

The most interesting interview, with a bandit leader, is transcribed below.

"Mr. bandit. We are glad you are willing to speak with us on condition of anonymity. Can you tell us what you saw?"
‘T was the 26th of granite, we had just heard of the attacks and Darek said there would be a good bounty on the head of this deamon. We are a large group of experienced men, so we took our chance. The beast was careless, it never expected an ambush.  We came out of hiding and our archers rained down arrows on the terrible beast. Before it could even move the arrows had crippled both its legs, and it had some bad chestwounds. You know, people see us bandits as the bad guys, but it is us who keep the streets safe at night. "
"Yes, sure, what happened next?"
"The beast grabbed a shield from it’s back and blocked a few more arrows. Before we knew it, it was upon us! Then it just bit Beso in two with a single movement of it’s jaws, and then Darek.."
"I’m sorry to hear that mr bandit. Are you allright?"
"Me? I’m fine. FINE. All I got was a wee scratch. Nothing to worry about. I’ll be fine...
"

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:38:30 pm by Bralbaard »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 06, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »

Oh by Armok this is going to be Fun. Time will tell if the gone-ape-faeces-mad Monkey's antics will cause another change in Age, but this is definitely brilliant so far, and I love the art! Eagerly wait the next update.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 06, 2020, 06:25:52 pm »

Thanks! some out of character comments: I was incredibly lucky to get a weremammoth curse, but also quite lucky to survive that bandit ambush.

I got cursed by throwing the dice. My first throw was a week of bad luck, then I became a weremammoth.
My first transformation was still well within the time period of the curse, if that curse does what I think it does, then it makes combat more dangerous.
Got three arrows fired at me before I could move in that ambush. Despite my size two of them cripple my legs immediately (not permanently). The third hit my heart, but only bruised it.
Quite a close call.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 06, 2020, 08:14:41 pm »

I don’t know if you’re just waiting until you update the map or not, but in case you’re not and to ease my infinite anxiety, I’m going to bump the request to be put on the turn list again.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 263