Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409707 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #705 on: February 19, 2021, 09:29:12 am »

Yeah, that was me forgetting that Giants are SMBs, not MBs. It's been edited appropriately and the cause of death amended.

Also, when you say Monkeycurse is broken, do you mean 'crashes the game when you go there' broken, or 'The pyramid/workshops aren't there anymore, but Raki's corpse/the slab/etc. are' broken?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 19, 2021, 10:29:22 am »

Thanks for the update' much appreciated! Erith was essentially a glob of sludge barely kept together by her armor at that point' so the slightest hit would cause her to fall apart; I think I just understood what vomit titans feel like all the time.

It only crashes when loaded in fort mode; you can visit them safely as adventurer' but the only things are people' artifacts' and ashes from campfires; Raki's corpse was missing' IIRC (which means the mission to revive him should be retired so as not to mislead newcomers). It might crash if you try to build a fort over the adventurer site' but I didn't check if it's actually the case.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 19, 2021, 12:09:25 pm »

Erith was essentially a glob of sludge barely kept together by her armor at that point' so the slightest hit would cause her to fall apart.
No pun intended, but: bloody hell! That sounds both incredibly nasty and kinda awesome.

It only crashes when loaded in fort mode; you can visit them safely as adventurer' but the only things are people' artifacts' and ashes from campfires; Raki's corpse was missing' IIRC (which means the mission to revive him should be retired so as not to mislead newcomers). It might crash if you try to build a fort over the adventurer site' but I didn't check if it's actually the case.
Damn, I just checked it out and see what you mean. Uklasut's on the ground right where you drop out of fast travel, so someone may be able to pick it up and store it back at the Museum or such, but the pyramid and everything else built on site are just completely gone. I should've revived him when I had the chance.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:12:29 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:44 pm »

If anyone could find that slab that used to be at the vault right next to Boltspumpkin, I would much appreciate. It seems to have gone missing.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 20, 2021, 05:23:39 am »

Raki, Nooo! 

He must have really angered the gods, I guess.
I'll update the relevant post later.. I did send Imic a message.
Worrying stuff about those lost sites.. I hope things will not be too unstable to continue.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:36:11 am by Bralbaard »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 20, 2021, 05:41:19 am »

Wait, really? I was not paying attention to the turn list, evidently. It’s a shame about Raki, I was really excited about where that story was going. Ah well, Dwarf Fortress giveth and Dwarf Fortress taketh away, I suppose. I’ll claim the save shortly, I have a dog to walk first.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 20, 2021, 08:08:09 am »

As much as I am quite salty about the many different opportunities lost' I guess we could still weave a good tale around whole settlements just disappearing' if the game doesn't become borderline unplayable that is. This world just seems more and more like a laboratory for a bunch of warlocks.

That being said' I just compared how Relicward' the latest fort built' would behave in Eric's save and mine' and it seems to suffer from a different flavor of this bug; in that it doesn't crash fort mode' but all player-built structures are still missing. Seems I've been mistaken in thinking only those sites built during turns 27-29 are broken. Archquakes is the latest site to be seemingly unaffected' so I'm guessing any sites older than that should be fine too' no certainty though.
OTOH' completely new adventurer sites seem completely fine&dandy' everything's standing; I'm too unskilled to check out fort mode' but if somebody tried to build a new fortress and see if it vanishes afterwards' it would likely be quite informative.

No pun intended, but: bloody hell! That sounds both incredibly nasty and kinda awesome.
And on that note' until I finally get to this part in writing' I guess it merits a description of Erith during her last days:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The red bits are from a rotting curse I got while storming a necromancer tower; the pink ones are due to melting myself in Burnedmurdered; the rot actually started pretty tame with me just emitting miasma and having impaired vision; it then progressed to making my eyes' lungs and limbs unusable' then to this; I kinda wonder whether you can just fall apart when it advances enough.

Good luck out there' Imic!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 20, 2021, 11:59:55 am »

In the depths of the Museum, there are one hundred journals, each one the tale of someone who ventured into the great unknown in the hopes of carving their name into one of Boltspumpkins' many plinths. This one is bound in stone, and on the front is carved the name Solon Riftworks.

Entry 1

What has become of our world? I have lived all my life in Mischiefpit, but word spreads quickly. There was a time when we traded with Duskhome in the north, but that trade has stopped. There are no great armies in this part of the world which could have slaughtered its people, did they dig too deep, and find something they should not have? And what of the hands of Planegifts? The ones who, for a brief moment, Dwarfed every other people upon Orid Xem with sheer numbers, and then just as quickly, vanished from existence? What of the Human Kingdoms of the south? The cold has begun to eat away at their peoples, their Cities and villages have been emptying, their crops left frozen and withered in their fields? Is the world getting colder? What of Raki and that terrible Pyramid in the north? What did he do? What has happened to him? What spurned him on to do what he did? And always, always is the Museum at the heart of everything. The place where every story begins... or ends, in one way or another. There was a time when I could satiate my curiosity in other ways, but I have given in. I need answers. I don't know what awaits me, but the world feels like it is unravelling at the seams, breaking apart at the weak spots. Is this the work of the Gods? Of the Blood God? Of the things that wait and hunger in the great beneath? Of some Magician or Goblin ruler? I do not know. I will not find all the answers, I am one Dwarf in an empty world, but I will not stop looking until I find... something. I do not know what. I shall make for Duskhome first, it's close-ish, and I can stop off at Mosshill on the way. From there, I shall make for the Museum. I can only pray I make it there alive.

Entry 2

I've made my way west, my plan is to cross the river here at the coast, as there's no good way to cross it further upstream for many miles.

... It's a lot bigger than I remember.

I was worried for a while, but the Gods are with me, and the river delta was forgiving. Next stop, Mosshill.

Entry 3

I kept walking through yesterday, and slept through the night. It's bright and early now, so I checked my map, and...

... I've a long way to go.

Well, it's a beautiful day. There isn't so much as a lone farm in all this valley until you reach the mountains, not a speck of civilization in sight. I'd appreciate some company if it were available, but I enjoy the solitude as well, to a degree. The world is beautiful.

I was following a stream northwards, and I came across a lake, almost completely hidden by the trees on every side, reaching down to the gentle waters. I didn't know this place existed. I've always wondered what's at the bottom of rivers and seas and lakes. Perhaps there are underwater caves down there? Perhaps there are fish which have never seen the light of day right down there, so close to the surface, and yet so far. I can't imagine a life like that. What beauty and art would there be to a life spent in absolute darkness? What would be the point of living? Maybe I should ask a Crundle, heh. Or better yet, a plump helmet. Ah well, there's still a long way to go. Best keep moving.

And there I was talking about the beauty of the world... of course it had to rain.

Well, a tree is as good a shelter as any, I suppose. The smell of woodsmoke from a campfire is a wonderful thing. I'll keep going tomorrow.

Entry 4

Not much has happened today, though I found a patch of hills in the otherwise universally thick forest where the trees are a little less dense. It was nice to stay there for a little while, but I'm still not at Mosshill yet. The closer I get, the more i think about Gor, The Pit. I've heard strange and unpleasant stories about it, but I've also heard other things about it more recently, such as it disappearing entirely. I shouldn't... but... Maybe just a peek? I don't know. I'll reach Mosshill, then I'll decide on that.

Mosshill is right ahead... and Gor is just across the mountains. It's so close... it'd just be a quick peek...

I wanted to reach Mosshill before nightfall, but it looks like I was too late for that. It'll have to wait until the morning, I'm tired and I don't want to get lost in these woods in the middle of the night. Here's to tomorrow!

Entry 5

I've reached Mosshill. It's a very small place, built as an Iron Mine for the Staff of Kissing as part of their revitalization. I've never been, but we at Mischiefpit have been trading with this place since it was first founded. I like it, it's cosy and welcoming, if cramped.

While looking around, I had a peek at their Temple, a little shrine to their Pantheon at the northern end of the Fort. I don't know many of their Gods, but I have heard of Alron Oiledsteels.

Whether or not a certain God is or isn't someone else's god in disguise is a heated topic that has probably caused religious wars, but I do know that the Staff of Kissing and the Walled Dye both traditionally agree that Alron and Uzol are the same God going by different names. Which one is the older name, however, is a matter that they never agreed on, though the long collapse of the Staff of Kissing followed by the long collapse of the Walled Dye had something of a dampening affect on people's desire to engage in international Theocratic debate over nomenclature.
Uzol, depicted as a Male Dwarf and associated with minerals.
Dwarven Gods aside, I was able to get an audience with the Fortress's leader. Well, I say audience, I knocked on the door and he said to come in, but the point stands.

His name is Asmel, he was a little spooked at first on account of me carrying an axe, but he quickly calmed down. We chatted for a while, and it quickly became clear that all is most definitely not well around here.

Asmel is extremely anxious about the Duskhome business, but there are so few people here that if something terrible has happened, they can't afford to send anyone for fear of even a single death. For now, they're able to survive on what they make themselves, but they're extremely isolated, and the future is extremely uncertain for them. When I asked about Gor, he became unwiling to say anything at first, but he relented quickly on certain details. Shortly before Gor was founded, a strange Dwarf passed through the area, met with another stranger, and then disappeared into the woods. Soon after, a hunter found his corpse, seemingly after having simply lain down on the ground and died of starvation just out of sight of the trade depot. Then, Gor was founded. Rumours of its disappearance reached Asmel, but he had refused point blank to send even a single Dwarf to take a look at it. I prodded him further, but I couldn't get even another word on the matter out of him. He knows more, I can see it in his eyes, but it looks like I won't be getting answers any time soon. Discussions were more or less wrapped up by this, as Asmel became suspicious and passive aggressive after this, so I said my goodbyes and left. He was at least nice enough to give me some food for my journey though, which I am thankful for. I need to know. I know I shouldn't, but even if it's just to find an empty field, I must see it. This could be a terrible idea. I don't know what's down there... But I want to at least take a peek. Perhaps I'll find nothing. Perhaps I'll find something. But I need, need to know.

If I make good time, I'll be there before the end of the day.

The mountains are beautiful. I can't wait to reach Duskhome and see true peaks, tall enough to breach the clouds, like the ones from back home at Mischiefpit. I've heard that those mountains are even taller still than the ones I grew up in, perhaps some of the tallest in the world.

I've passed the snowline. Ahead of here is the Tundra of Heroes, the coldest place in the known world. Before that, however, is Gor. I cannot express how terrified I am of what I may find there, even if it is nothing.

I'm almost there. This cold is unlike anything I've ever known. It cuts through your clothing, gets into your bones, and roots itself there. It's so cold. So cold...

I've arrived.

There is something in the snow.

It's not moving. I'm scared. I'm scared.
There's something else. It's up ahead.
I... I want to go home... I... I...
... It's coming.

The Journal ends here. It is not known how this journal entered the Museum's custody, but there is a bit of writing on the last page in different handwriting to the rest of the book, which simply says "Note: Could not find the body."

The End

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:44:36 pm by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 20, 2021, 12:17:15 pm »

I used some DFhack magic (embark-tools anywhere) to check out The Pit, Duskhome, and Monkeycurse, and I can confirm that all three have been erased off the face of the planet with nary a speck of dust left behind. I'm not going to say that Duskhome took an extremely large amount of work and pushed the limits of my sanity to the breaking point and I may be feeling the angry emotions right now, but let's just say that there may be a few murders in my local area over the next few days.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 20, 2021, 02:00:08 pm »

I used some DFhack magic (embark-tools anywhere) to check out The Pit, Duskhome, and Monkeycurse, and I can confirm that all three have been erased off the face of the planet with nary a speck of dust left behind. I'm not going to say that Duskhome took an extremely large amount of work and pushed the limits of my sanity to the breaking point and I may be feeling the angry emotions right now, but let's just say that there may be a few murders in my local area over the next few days.
That's a damn shame. Well, we've really pushed the game to its limit in this world, and something was bound to give.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 20, 2021, 02:59:33 pm »

I went further with the testing. I have bad news. Relicward and Emeraldcrown are gone as well. I checked out Archquakes and Healedwhips as well, but both of them have been untouched by the corruption.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 20, 2021, 03:32:55 pm »

I'd like to reiterate that there seems to be a pattern in that only forts constructed after Archquakes seem to be broken' while of adventurer sites only Monkeycurse is afflicted.

During my adventure' I personally visited Championvault' Healerlashes' Razorbridge' Mosshill' Duskhome and Gor; and have since checked Deepvaulted' Archquakes and Relicward; NGN and Imic have in addition researched Lancesavage and Emeraldcrown.

The forts that are to be tested now are:
The Iron Deep
Stockadeoutrage
Lashedjade
Homesafe
Shotgleeful
Shiptrails

It would also be worth checking whether any potential new fortresses are broken or not; adventurer sites' from my experience' work fine.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 20, 2021, 03:35:08 pm »

I'm currently testing out whether or not new fortresses are broken or not, I'll head through the other Forts once I'm finished with that line of experimentation.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 20, 2021, 03:40:04 pm »

Great! Mind if I also have quick look and edit it into this post? The sooner we get all possible information the better.

OK' Quantum beat me to it; I can also confirm that you can actually found a fortress over Monkeycurse w/out crashing; still wonder what could be causing Relicward to behave differently from the others.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:56:23 pm by Yarlig »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 20, 2021, 03:45:44 pm »

Can confirm that Iron Deep, Deepvaulted, Stockadedoutrage, Lashedjade, Homesafe, Shotgleeful, Shiptrails are all OK in Yarlig's save.

EDIT: Made a rough list, from what's been put in thread and what I've seen.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:28:58 am by Quantum Drop »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 263