Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 262

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 405161 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #720 on: February 20, 2021, 03:55:33 pm »

Sure, go ahead. I'm not 100% confident in saying that any and all new Forts made will be grand and fine, but I started a Fort, started an adventurer right beside it in Championvault, instantly got eviscerated by a weapon trap while I was trying to navigate my way out, and reclaimed the Fort. The Caravan and all seven Dwarves were still there, and hadn't been devoured by the shadow realm. Because I accidentally hyped it up in my last turn, I'd like to try and build The Pit 2: Electric Boogaloo before I properly hand in the save, but for the purposes of testing and determining what the feckiddy feck is going on, I present the Museum: turn 35 and a half.

Edit: Lancesavage is clear.

Edit 2: Shiptrails is clear.

Edit 3: Homesafe is clear.

Edit 4: Deepvaulted is clear.

Edit 5: Razorbridge is clear.

Edit 6: Healerlashes is clear.

Edit 7: Championvault is clear.

Edit 8: Lashedjade is clear.

Edit 9: Stockadeoutrage is clear.

Edit 10: Irondeep is clear.

... I think that's it? Let me know if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:42:11 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 20, 2021, 04:23:55 pm »

I did check out Gor 2.0' and it does unretire fine' but it seems there're no buildings there; were there any in the first place?
OK' after rereading the 'Caravan and all seven Dwarves' part I take it that there were none to begin with. It might be clear' or it might suffer from the lighter version of this bug that Relicward also has.

And I can also confirm that Jackaldens is borked; seems Monkeycurse wasn't the only adventurer site affected; going to check if there're other sites like that now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:48:59 pm by Yarlig »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 20, 2021, 05:18:52 pm »

What was Jackaldens? I don't even have it on my map.

Hmm I'm up next... take your time to build the fortress, while I figure out what I'm going to do :-)

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 20, 2021, 05:34:08 pm »

Jackaldens was a camp Eric Blank built during his last turn; it's one of the few locations that're not included in the map yet. I'll put a mostly complete summary of those here soon.

That being said:

Shelter of Adventurers (Glloyd' turn 19) is fine;

Healedwhips (big unknown) is fine;

Moneycurse (Bralbaard' turn 28) is bugged;

Charcoal Pit (NoGoodNames' between turns 30 and 31) is bugged;

Jackaldens (Eric Blank' turn 31) is bugged;

Ironfeast (Quantum Drop' turn 32) is bugged;

I think that's all of them; with Imic's and Quantum's summaries we should have a mostly complete picture.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:38:20 pm by Yarlig »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 20, 2021, 05:38:03 pm »

Hmm I'm up next... take your time to build the fortress, while I figure out what I'm going to do :-)
Jackaldens was where those two werejackal adventurers (Pik and Desli) retired; a small camp in the middle of nowhere, like where I chose to retire Urus. I wonder if they're still around there, or if the Corruption ate them when it accidentally the camp.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

EDIT: Some good news: while the camps listed by Yarlig are bugged, their inhabitants (NGN's clown, at least one of the two werejackal adventurers, and Urus) are still around in case anyone wants to interact with them in adv mode.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:47:00 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 20, 2021, 05:44:42 pm »

For what it's worth, the world_sites_and_pops file still indicates that there are people and creatures at the erased sites.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 20, 2021, 05:48:27 pm »

Yeah' the corruption doesn't affect people' artifacts and ashes from campfires; regular items are destroyed and terrain goes back to what it was before player intervention.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 20, 2021, 06:36:18 pm »

Ok, I've got something.

The world_sites_and_pops file lists the site numbers for the affected fortresses.
If you go into an old save file that is still working,  and copy the corresponding site-number.dat files and put it in our current save, the site is restored to working order.
I don't even want to know  what kind of trouble that could cause with overall save stability, because I have no clue how the files interact, but it works, as I've succefully loaded emeraldcrown in the current save.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 20, 2021, 06:41:17 pm »

Just so that this goes on the record, "Climaxringed" was not the name I originally intended to use for the mysterious horror Fortress. I tried changing it twice, and it hasn't worked. Turns out I mislabeled the files and I have no unmodified copies of the original savegame from when my Adventurer died, and Climaxringed was the random name given to a test Fort I made to see if the area was 100% flat because there was an inconsistency in the embark screen. If it bugs me to the point of me just starting a third Fortress next door, please forgive me, it would have driven me nuts.

Edit: Bralbaard ninja'd me.

I haven't properly started building stuff yet, my game is paused and I just embarked. I'd be all for taking Braalbard's discovery as an option, but I'd strongly advise further stress testing before we commited to it, if we were to take that option.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 20, 2021, 09:22:45 pm »

The exploits of The Walled Dye are becoming too great for this world to bear. The army of the dead nearly laid low the kingdoms of the world, but they were stopped. Now the frantic expansion of the nearly-ruined dwarfen empire shakes the foundations of the earth. Fortress after fortress, hero after hero. Genocides on levels unseen before. Great beasts stir beneath the earth and beyond the stars, slavering at the thought of bursting forth with all of their eldritch strength to consume all that stand before them and erasing their victims from existence...

Holy-moly, how many times are we gonna have to rescue the world from being toyed with by us? And how valuable is this stress testing for the stability of future updates??
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:21 pm »

Perhaps we should take another brief pause and open it up to testing with Braalbard's solution?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 21, 2021, 02:25:45 am »

Yes, I would propose a week of testing. I can upload a save game this evening with replacements based on the corrupted sites others have reported.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 21, 2021, 08:09:48 am »

I'll do some extended messing around in Fortress mode to see if the Corruption pops up after more playtime has gone by, in my previous test I only left the Fort running for as long as it took me to pause the game and retire it. It might show up after extended playtime? Maybe? I think it's worth a check regardless.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 21, 2021, 04:20:01 pm »

Ok, the fixed save can be found here.

There's a bit more to report. Earlier I said that I had replaced the corrupted site-number.dat files. I actually found out now that starting from TheFlame's save, those files were gone completely.
The missing files were all of the site numbers from 1581 to 1593. This includes all the sites others have reported to be broken, and Granitehoods, a hillock that was apparently recently founded by the game itself.

The reason that I thought earlier that the files were broken instead of missing was because the game made new files for Gor and Duskhome when Yarlig tried to visit them, and therefore windows popped up a general prompt for me to overwrite  files when I copied the fixed files over.

I ended up copying the missing files from Luckyowls save game. This was the last save version where they were present.

I think we should properly test this before moving on.
Imic can probably just try and finish the fortress he was going to build, and we will start from his save if everything works out when the testing is done. In the meantime, anyone interested can try and find out if any other issues arise because of the fix. 

Edit: I already identified one additional issue. At least two other files are missing in recent versions, and in the save I uploaded:
region_snapshot-740.dat and region_snapshot-750.dat
These do not appear to be very important; they are used in legends mode to draw the historical maps, the maps from those years are now missing in legends mode, but it does not cause a crash.  I can easily fix this when I start my own turn later, we can continue testing with the uploaded version.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:34:21 pm by Bralbaard »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 21, 2021, 06:02:48 pm »

This sounds like very good news; I'll try to poke around a bit with the testing.

In completely other news' I actually managed to write down the first part of my adventures this time' and with any luck' there'll be more soon; I might move it to one of my older posts and hold off on posting more until we're done bugfixing if it ends up causing confusion' so... let me know I guess. I'm no great writer' so it's kinda all over the place' but I hope it manages.
Anyway:

12 Obsidian, 754
Welcome, honored reader; my name is Nòm Shokmug, which stands for „Nòm the Cheese” in common parlance. And I daresay, I have earned this noble moniker. For yours truly is a universally known and renowned connoisseur of fine Cheeses; I have tasted and appreciated every flavour and form of the land – cow Cheese, pig Cheese, purring maggot Cheese; hard Cheese, soft Cheese, crunchy Cheese, squeaky Cheese; blueish-green marble-molded Cheese and Cheese with live purring maggots squirming inside. What variety, what a gamut of exquisite experiences!

It should not come as a surprise, therefore, that I serve as the chairgorlak of the Mischiefpit Cheese Society, which promotes the manufacturing and consumption of various Cheeses. The membership fee is a wedge of Cheese, of standard size, to be consumed by the chair. Limited discounts are available!

Mighty unfortunate it is, however, that the local caseiculture is quite substellar indeed. The local tribesmen, among whom I have lived for the past few years, subsist solely on spongy plump helmets and whatever game their hunters manage to catch in those desolate parts. What joys were stolen from the palates of such fine, hardy dwarves!

And so I elected to leave this place behind in search of greener pastures. Travelers and wood-walkers tell tales of thriving settlements in the North, where industrious dwarves engage in every craft and art. Perhaps there I shall finally find and devour the One Cheese that legends speak of and my life shall be fulfilled.

Since traversing the wilds is dangerous for a gentlegorlak of my stature, I designed to hire someone who would protect me from various beasties of the land; one Èrith, a young huntress and woodwalker from these parts, agreed to help me on my trek. She’s a cheery lass, maybe a little unrefined of taste and unskilled in the art of letters, but a good soul nonetheless.

So be it; let us venture forth for Cheese and Glory!

17 Obsidian, 754
We have been traveling for almost a week now, and I am inclined to say, Èrith has proven herself to be a fine companion for one so lowborn. More than once has she protected me with her own breast while ferocious beasts disturbed our peace, and spared no effort in showing them their proper place.

I have also taken to the pastime of fowling in my travels, and have already hunted down two keæ! A stocky, green bird, fond of noise and mischief. I might yet become quite an outdoorsgorlak myself one day!

21 Obsidian, 754
Yesterday we arrived at the settlement of Mosshill, which seems like a pleasant enough community, if a bit out of the way. We stayed shortly to restock on victuals; sadly, there was no Cheese to be found, only mincemeats made of cave creatures. Therefore, we decided not to linger any longer.

When on our way back, we spotted a worn-down chap taking a rest in tall grass. On closer inspection, it became apparent that he was suffering from a severe case of the deads.

Being more experienced a conversationalist, I decided to inquire about his identity among the local villagers, while Èrith fended off scavengers and carrion-consumers. I was quite bemused to learn that the dwarf in question had been lying at the exact same spot for some twenty years now!

Bah! Dwarven layabouts!

2 Granite, 755
At twenty-eighth of Obsidian, we reached the thriving township of Championvault. Sadly, it seems to be going through a period of political turmoil; there was a large pile of corpses just outside the main citadel, and worst of all, some of them my gorlakkin!

It was not an utterly unpleasant experience altogether, however. There was a secluded garden, very much to my liking, as well as a skull of a mighty bird, so large we could walk under it! And, let’s not forget, that it was the eve of a new year, and Èrith suggested we take some time to celebrate. As a rule I do abstain from drunken debauchery, but the occasion was auspicious, and I’ve grown quite fond of my traveling companion, so I decided to humor her. Èrith procured some beverages from the dwarves’ cellar, and so we drank and entertained ourselves with tales of famed heroes, like the one of Bashnom the Bashful and of Givel the Gavel, as well as the story of Oblong, which everyone knows well.

Most unfortunately, it seems we did overindulge just a little, for the quantity of alcohol set my head (think not racist jokes!) aspin. Èrith exchanged her armor for more comfortable apparel before our little celebration began and must have misplaced it somewhere. She had to make do with panoplies made by local smiths, which are of inferior quality. I for one liked the orange sheen of her old suit better than the grayish-white of this one.

We, however, found no Cheese to consume, so we made our way further west, where lies Duskhome, a dwarven “fortress” or so I’ve heard. Verily, when we arrived at the site we were flabbergasted to find no buildings to speak of, not even an ornate and representational entrance gate! There were, however, several dwarves scuttling about unbecomingly, as if not bothered by the sun in the slightest! A most unusual bunch forsooth. There were also some suspicious looking chap we agreed to avoid.

We also found a number of priceless antiques just lying in the grass, and Èrith insisted we take some for safekeeping from eccentricities of the locals; I took a sceptre and a drinking vessel, while Èrith helped herself to some bijouterie and a peculiar metal object not unlike a prickly chestnut in shape.

And would you believe me, dear reader, that those dwarves, who roosted on wealth and hoarded treasure, had also no Cheese to speak of? Such paradoxical disparity is quite taxing even on patience so strong as mine. No wonder therefore that we opted to abandon those poor fools to their fate and strike east instead, where the mountain passes lie. Perhaps beyond the Tundra of Heroes shall we finally find some Cheese.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:36:41 pm by Yarlig »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 262