Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 261

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 392311 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #735 on: February 21, 2021, 10:09:44 pm »

If this all works out, hopefully we can re-add Raki's mission to the list.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2021, 03:09:53 am »

In completely other news' I actually managed to write down the first part of my adventures this time' and with any luck' there'll be more soon; I might move it to one of my older posts and hold off on posting more until we're done bugfixing if it ends up causing confusion' so... let me know I guess.

By all means, continue writing. I'm quite enjoying reading the adventures of our cheese-loving friend! In any case, if you move stuff to older posts, make sure that you let us know of any updates you write so that we don't miss any.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2021, 08:01:38 am »

If Gor is fixed, then Gor 2.0 doesn't need to exist. I might make a new Fort or two extra though, if it's an option.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2021, 09:08:51 am »

That is certainly an option.
I'll leave it open for testing all week, so there should be plenty of time.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2021, 04:46:29 pm »

In completely other news' I actually managed to write down the first part of my adventures this time' and with any luck' there'll be more soon; I might move it to one of my older posts and hold off on posting more until we're done bugfixing if it ends up causing confusion' so... let me know I guess.

By all means, continue writing. I'm quite enjoying reading the adventures of our cheese-loving friend! In any case, if you move stuff to older posts, make sure that you let us know of any updates you write so that we don't miss any.

Good to hear! I'll likely do that with the descriptions of my old adventures. For now' expect more gorlak buffoonery coming soon; a few familiar faces will be making an appearance' in various capacities.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 24, 2021, 11:35:59 am »

Put me down for a turn, please and thank you.

Edit: I read the latest comments (it'll take me a while to trudge through the whole thread) and I realized something interesting: is this a way to move forts between two different saves of the same world, and if so, is this something actively pursued on or expanded by some modding community, or something just discovered in this thread? If it's not unique here, are there links of discussions on this topic?

I found something interesting. In the legends viewer for the fixed version of the save, trying to view The Unholy Evil slab made by The Black crashes the viewer. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Which is weird, because The Unholy Evil doesn't appear in Legends mode proper, even if it says in Viewer "The Unholy Evil a legendary sylvite slab (created, currently in possession of the human necromancer Glloyd Ancientborn the Round)".

Is the bug that keeps saying someone stole something from a town and stored it in another and then "stole" it from that town and then stored it in another and so on something of this version of the game, or is it of this save in particular? Funnily enough, you can follow adventurers' trails just by the items they keep "storing" and "stealing" until their end, one way or another.

5:"Heavenheaters the fair peace", a perfect wood opal A wood opal: The remains of a fossilized tree, turned into gemstone by the earth itself. An unknown artist changed this gem into a priceless artifact. It was brought here from the human town of Strifefularmor by the adventurer Abpa Glitterirons (TheFlame52)
Is it worth mentioning that it was given the name by the human Pevit Glazepadded in 585 in likely honor of her god (of, unsurprisingly, peace) Loli Fairclearing?

More edit, more fun, our buddy Glazepadded appears in Viewer but not in Legends Mode.

...and in Legends Mode, Loli is a deity... that was born in 105... and died in 132...

I must ask again, is the version of the game buggy or is it the save?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:23:58 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 24, 2021, 06:35:20 pm »

I'll add you to the list.

We're still testing to see if it's actually stable. That is certainly an interesting idea though. During testing I've messed around a bit already, you can at least not swap different sites with each other by renaming files. It instantly crashes the game.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 25, 2021, 01:24:03 pm »

Some bad news.

Duskhome and Gor still crash the game (in fortress mode, at least). Likely because Yarlig tried to visit them and the game made new site files for them, which apparently can not be replaced with the original versions without causing crashes. I'm afraid these sites can not be saved, but I will try some additional things and will check if they might work in adventure mode.
Edit 1: Duskhome crashes adventure mode as well, I'm assuming Gor will be the same, I will have to replace both with Yarlig's version to at least stop the crashes from happening.. :(.

Relicward and Emeraldcrown appear to have been succesfully saved, I have not checked the others. 

Edit 2: Monkeycurse is fine

Edit 3: in Reply to Lurker Z who has also edited new information into his post: This save file was getting unstable already before the bug that we are currently trying to fix. Not many people play the game like we do here, with many, many adventurers and dozens of fortresses in a single game, so it is likely that bugs pop up sooner or later.
We already had to edit the save earlier to remove 2,5 billion undead that appeared out of nowhere and were causing crashes.
The earlier museum games had similar issues (because of different bugs), like we did back then, will try to keep going for as long as possible. The world may very well fall apart around us though. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:08:28 pm by Bralbaard »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 25, 2021, 01:47:03 pm »

That’s a shame. I guess the game decided I was building too many Fortresses, so it culled a couple of them to send a message. Well, too bad game, I won’t stop building Fortresses until I’ve built so many that my Adventurers start naturally growing Fortresses from their inevitable corpses by default to speed up time in my quest to cover every inch of the world map in Fortresses! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU CANNOT STOP ME, FOOLISH GAME, YOU CAN BUT SLOW ME DOWN!

... I’m going to go get a cup of tea.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2021, 02:05:51 pm »

I did check Duskhome' and it CTDed me in advMode also. However' it and Gor are the only known to be bugged sites I visited' so those are likely the only ones; unless Flame visited some place like this' but it's fairly unlikely' as nothing unusual came up at that time.

Sorry for all this mess; if I were the last to have played' I'd've suggested we simply restart from an earlier save' but I don't want to impose' Imic having already played his turn.

Also' Lurker Z' concerning your questions - most of what you listed seems not to be bugs' but courtesy of historical information being flagged as hidden during worldgen' and legends viewer being unable to read some data properly. So no worries about those at least' we're fine on that front.

Edit: irrelevant now
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:12:41 pm by Yarlig »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2021, 02:18:58 pm »

Don't worry about it Yarlig, it's an unfortunate bug that none of us could have prevented. It was already present in TheFlame's turn, so to properly revert to before it occured will take us back to Luckyowl. That is not really an option in my opinion, it is a shame about Imic's sites though

Just an idea:
To not let the work Imic put into Duskhome and Gor be wasted, we could have some sort of event where everyone gets to try and explore these sites in a save where they are still working and post their stories. I could link the stories in a "legends of Gor and Duskhome" section. Basically they would be myths about places that no longer exist in our reality.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:22:29 pm by Bralbaard »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2021, 06:00:52 pm »

You're right' got a bit angry at myself there for not spotting this earlier' no point ruminating on it now though.

Personally' I'm very much in favor of holding this open exploration event; those sites already had an eerie feeling about them' it would only be logical to have legends and conspiracy theories grow around them now that they're gone.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 25, 2021, 06:51:12 pm »

If someone wants to do something like that, I have no objections. Could be interesting to see how things pan out in that direction.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 25, 2021, 07:02:42 pm »

Also' Lurker Z' concerning your questions - most of what you listed seems not to be bugs' but courtesy of historical information being flagged as hidden during worldgen' and legends viewer being unable to read some data properly. So no worries about those at least' we're fine on that front.
Pretty sure (the official) Legends Mode telling me something it calls a deity was born in 100ish and died in 100ish is a bug.
And that slab is definitely bugged. I found more slabs and they don't crash Legends Viewer when I click them.
Also I've seen a ton of duplicate entries like these: https://imgur.com/GVIDpnV
I don't mean to imply anything negative when I point out these bugs, I don't blame anyone. I'm just pointing them out because I found them and thought people might be interested in them/what to avoid (because it's unlikely they can get fixed).

Hey, Bralbaard, I appreciate your work and that you've put so much of yourself in this project for years. That I haven't posted in the other topics doesn't mean that I didn't lurk around and enjoyed the world of the first museum, I even posted for a turn once, but had computer troubles before I could play, so that's that. Don't beat yourself over the losses, as long as we have the world, there's even more adventures to be gained. Like Imic said, we'll survive and drag the world into surviving with us as far as we can.
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 25, 2021, 08:24:04 pm »

You're misreading the birth/death dates. Those are for the next person named Loli (a regular human.)

The rest of the things are pretty common and not specific to this save.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 261