Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 262

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 404324 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #765 on: March 02, 2021, 04:37:22 pm »

So I've got the save game. This evening I've been updating the maps and other information, and made the required fixes to the save game. Tomorrow I'll start playing.

About the fixes to the save game; I have a strong suspicion that this was not a bug in DF, but that the cause has been a faulty zip file, or up- or download. Some of the files that were missing, most notably the region snapshots, should not have gone missing during the regular save process. I have therefore not submitted a bug report.

The map has been updated with Jackaldens (which I had missed earlier), climaxringed and the Abyssal Sanctuary:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Imic has been busy. The calendar has progressed by 14 years (!). It is the year 769 now, and we are still in the age of heroes.   
I've prepared another graph of the world populations.
The main races have recovered a bit during the last decade, except for the kobolds, their population stays the same and they are still dangerously close to extinction.

We'll run the "myths of Duskhome and Gor" event after my turn.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:47:34 pm by Bralbaard »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 02, 2021, 05:44:51 pm »

If Monkeycurse is fixed, you can probably also add Raki's mission back to the main page.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:02 pm »

I'm surprised that the elves are multiplying. At least staying at the same level. And in a dying world, that's about all you can hope for.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 03, 2021, 02:54:07 am »

I'm surprised that the elves are multiplying. At least staying at the same level. And in a dying world, that's about all you can hope for.
It's arguable how dying the world is. It's been strongly implied, if not established, that pop drops are bugs caused by PC adventurers loading previously "quiet" and "abstract" parts of the map. Other reasons may be the constant wars with the goblins, at least those the PC stumbles into. Also the necromancer creations are probably running amok too.

But a lot of sites have been reclaimed after year 700, including by non-dwarves, which is interesting. The dwarves are definitely seeing a Renaissance, partly/mostly due to player forts. They may not be as chock full of sapients, but the big necro names have been taken down, and barring another "anti-life" crusade (that from what I understand, post-world-generation wars and battles are buggy as in more tending towards non-existance), the races should be flourishing.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 03, 2021, 06:03:08 am »

There are definitely some bugs with populations in the current game. Just wait till you catch up with reading and get to the part with the billions (yes billions) of invading undead. I should still do a version of the graphs with them included, but I would likely be forced to use a logarithmic scale.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 03, 2021, 07:25:02 am »

Speaking of population growth' there's a most unusual thing I noticed while poking about in legendsviewer:

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 03, 2021, 08:02:10 am »

Speaking of population growth' there's a most unusual thing I noticed while poking about in legendsviewer:

Ah, yes. He's the NPC I initially made to do the necromancer experiment genocide ritual. The great-great-great-grandfather of my framing character.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I did use DFHack to give him a sexuality in the hopes that this would happen. Normal adventurers are probably still all asexual. Nice to see it worked, at least.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 03, 2021, 08:30:39 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I did use DFHack to give him a sexuality in the hopes that this would happen. Normal adventurers are probably still all asexual. Nice to see it worked, at least.

Oh well' once again the reality is... realistic I guess. Definitely explains why no other adventurer behaved likewise.
The reason I didn't really consider this at first is because (unless I'm grossly misremembering things) I've read that the dfHack script responsible was no longer effective in the new versions. Still very good to learn it's not the case.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 03, 2021, 12:05:26 pm »

It's arguable how dying the world is. It's been strongly implied, if not established, that pop drops are bugs caused by PC adventurers loading previously "quiet" and "abstract" parts of the map. Other reasons may be the constant wars with the goblins, at least those the PC stumbles into. Also the necromancer creations are probably running amok too.

Not entirely, population levels still haven't recovered fully from the triple whammy of Raki/Iden/Urus, so players are definitely having a noticeable impact on the world. I think the elves have been spared by virtue of most of them living in the far northeast corner of the map, where not many adventurers have gone. But either way, even if much of the population drop is from bugginess, it still plays into the lore of the world, and the feeling that it's dying.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:59 pm »

Hey, can someone explain to me what's going on with Streammartyred and Scarletbronze? They make up probably over half the history of the most populous human civ The Realm of Silver and the first appears to have been in a continuous civil war for over 300 years, the latter the entirety of history. I get that there's a war against "criminal groups", but Legends Viewer says a group of TRoS conquer the site, then the next year TRoS send a group to conquer the site from the previous group and so on.

I wonder if they're those sites that adventurer reported as "4000+ bandit towns". I wonder if they're some glitched places where the conquering army is destined to become "the bandits", because each time a group is sent, it's implied it's won (or it broke into those 4000+ bandits, who knows) and then they become the enemy until the game decides the "war against criminals" ends. They could be considered in-game cursed, forcing the Law-Givers to keep sending cannon fodder lest something even more terrible happen to the world.

Checked with the save at around year 700, TRoS were the ones that took most of the human casualties, they had 11.7k to their now 7.7k. The other human nations' loss is negligible. I wonder if those sites are somehow responsible for the shift in population. What's going on in this world? Spoooooooky...

The Creamy Confederacy may be creamed though... since 700 (coincidence?) they're at war with everyone that counts... they started with the Walled Dye... then with The Most Sin (most populous in the world)... then they angered the elves... They lost literally a third of their humans and around 1000 of their goblin(s) cannon fodder. Those wars are still on-going. They're so dead. Moral of the story: don't elect a goblin as Law-Giver... But at least it's not a spooky bandit "civil war", they (probably) are the architects of their own ending.

The Conflict of Spikes was waged by The Creamy Confederacy on The Walled Dye. The most significant cause of the conflict was the goblin Ledir Judgedbuckle the Whirling's disgust with the adversary's godlessness.

...yes, good riddance. You elect a gobbo, expect extinction.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:36:10 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 05, 2021, 02:25:03 pm »

I briefly visited both towns in my first turn and wrote about them here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175875.msg8180556#msg8180556

Streammartyred is the one surrounded by massive game crashing refugee camps, and the streets are mostly empty because the whole population is in the camps. As for Scarletbronze, I don't remember too much out of the ordinary there, but I think it's full of were-mammoths now from Raki's rampage

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 05, 2021, 02:41:21 pm »

Journal of Bralbaard Hammerfishes, year 769

The last thing I remember was the charcoal brute towering high above me, spitting out my right arm that it had just ripped off. I think I heard Kem Skinnydeaths yell something as he tried to get through the fire to help me, but it was too late. The gigantic dragon-like monster opened it’s mouth and breathed fire.
I think I even remember the heat, and the pain.
Oh what I would not give to be able to feel pain again.. 

I was dead.
If there is an afterlife, I have no memory of it.
They say my burned body remained undisturbed in the remains of the keep for almost half a century until Ursus Ghostumbral came by and raised my corpse.

Now that I am back, there is no more pain. I feel nothing.
All the emotions and feelings that guided me in my past life have turned into abstract concepts, distant memories. Hunger and warmth, and that feeling you had when you were tired and close to sleep..
and love.
Love...I think that was the most important one.
I somewhat understand these feelings, because I know they defined my actions in a past life, but I can not experience them anymore. I have only my memories of what I valued in my former life to guide me.

Ursus brought me back to the Boltspumpkin like a trophy. I became a museum piece in my own museum. Visitors stare at my broken and charred body like they do at the other submissions. Me, the founder of the museum turned into an exhibit, a freak, a mascot. I can theorize which emotions I should be feeling because of how I am treated, but there is nothing.
That does not mean I can not grasp the concept that this is wrong. It has been 15 years since Urus took me here. In a past life my emotions would have driven me to take action sooner, but time is not relevant anymore. What is relevant is that through objective analysis, I have come to the conclusion that something must be done.

This fate that has been forced upon me should not befall the other adventurers that have worked for the museum. I have read the “chronicles of the adventurers of the grand museum”, and came to realize that many adventurers died for this place. Their corpses are still out there, like mine was. Waiting for a necromancer to come by and abuse them. This can not be. I will start a cemetery where fallen adventurers can be interred, and guarded from the unholy characters that roam this world.

I can not hope to bring all the fallen adventurers to safety by myself, but I can make a start. Two old friends, Slenshi and Amsir have helped me construct HeroGraves. This is were the fallen will be entombed. Slensi and Amsir will return to the Shelter of Adventurers, while I will try to recover the dead.

I hope I will succeed. Despite my immortality my body seems to have aged. My hair is now white, my bones brittle. I fear I am not much more than a broken shambling corpse.

Yes, my mind is filled with knowledge of dark magic, but I can not cast these terrible spells, for it would take two hands to weave the required magical patterns, and one was taken from me by the charcoal brute.
That is for the best though. It is a form of magic that will do the world no good. It is the type of magic Raki wanted to die for. It is magic I would gladly give up to live again.

(OOC: The original museum game also had a “tomb of heroes”, a wonderful idea from Tehsapper. I thought that it would be a nice thing to try and bring back. )

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 05, 2021, 03:57:45 pm »

Wonderful writing! I'm looking forward to this.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 05, 2021, 04:27:19 pm »

Excellent opening, Braalbard! This is certainly going to be quite an interesting perspective for a turn.

As for Scarletbronze, I don't remember too much out of the ordinary there, but I think it's full of were-mammoths now from Raki's rampage
Scarletbronze was where the marketplace of the town (in the north, I think?) is a reliable crash-zone. It's definitely crawling with undead, and I wouldn't be too surprised if weremammoths are partying there as well.

EDIT: Amsir's currently 94 years old; doubt he'll last much longer without dramatic measures.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 04:46:21 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 05, 2021, 04:39:25 pm »

Great first entry Bralbaard! I can't believe Slenshi and Amsir are still alive, they were old when I found them on my first turn hanging around Eric's corpse, which was 40+ years ago ingame. Amsir's gotta be pushing 90 by now.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 262