Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 407870 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #780 on: March 05, 2021, 04:58:29 pm »

The Museum III: The Return of Bralbaard!

This should prove to be an exciting read. But hey, he should hopefully feel some semblance of excitement! Now that he's dead (and technically immortal) he can continue to document history forevermore!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 07, 2021, 06:34:36 am »

Feels no emotion' only thinks in terms of logical analysis' and constantly accrues data (even if generally restricted to history)? Seems like undead are actually computers' and necromancers are coders.

But seriously' great beginning; hope the adventure won't be cut short due to a bite to the pinky finger compounded with post-resurrection fragility.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 07, 2021, 07:14:05 am »

Feels no emotion' only thinks in terms of logical analysis' and constantly accrues data (even if generally restricted to history)? Seems like undead are actually computers' and necromancers are coders.

But seriously' great beginning; hope the adventure won't be cut short due to a bite to the pinky finger compounded with post-resurrection fragility.
IIRC, only 'mangled' (pulped, cloven asunder, missing its upper body, spine redded-out, or similar damage) or decapitated corpses are super-fragile post-resurrection. Braalbard's guy should be okay (even without the toughness rezz-boost), since his corpse was 'mutilated' rather than 'mangled' when Urus rezzed him. So, with any luck, his adventure will be a long one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:16:36 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 07, 2021, 05:48:33 pm »

The full moon rose over Orid Xem. Even the bravest men spend this night at home with the door barricaded, anxiously looking around, hoping that none of the people they are holed up with transform. The full moon belongs to the Children of Raki. Yes, people already feared the full moon before I died, but the horrors from those days were nothing compared to what Raki unleashed on the world while I was gone.

So why did I go out on this unholy night? Was it because fear is an emotion that no longer affects me?
No, there is no excuse for what happened. I simply should have known better.
I had set out on my journey to retrieve the corpse of Imic Heatherwind, and it takes a lot to distract me from a task these days. It was only when I travelled past the mead hall of Knowledgepalms that something drew my attention. A strange sound from the mead hall. I decided to knock on the door as the investigator in me demanded to know what I just heard. This was a grave mistake.

The door opened and a large horde of goblins stormed out, weapons drawn. Their chieftess, a large she-goblin, led the charge. She was sure she had me, but I can bend my broken body in angles that the living can not forsee, and I managed to evade her. It happened in a split second. I drew my axe with my only hand, while the goblin ran by, and before she was out of reach I planted the weapon in the back of her neck with unnatural force, decapicitating her.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chaos took hold of the goblin horde. many fled away into the night or back in the building, but a sizable part of the horde still came for me. I knew I was outnumbered, and I knew I had been lucky with the chieftess. I am not a skilled fighter.
After trading a few blows it was clear the next goblin was too strong for me, I dodged away and ran.

When I analyze what happened now, it is clear this was all my mistake.
Those goblins had been holed up in the mead hall, hiding for the creatures of the night. Then a disfigured undead had appeared at their door. Their chieftess had done what any good leader would have done. Protect her people, by leading the charge. she had tried to keep me away from the children and the weak. Now the worst fears of her people had come true, their leader was dead, and another story about the horrors of the night had been added to the history of Orid Xem.

I have now learned that because of this battle I have gained a name. They call me Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning. The name was puzzling to me at first. Since I no longer feel the need to sleep I have not yawned in.. over half a century.  Then I realized that my face must be disfigured and broken in such a way that it reminds people of this facial expression.

Later that night I reached Jackaldens. Someone had build a house here in the midst of the forest. I decided that it would be better to wait for daylight to travel further and this would be a comforable place to wait.  Then I saw it. A large and terrible creature on the other side of the river, taken by a curse that was worse than mine. Whatever it had been, it was now twisted in a monstrous form that only vaguely reminded me of a jackal. It was unmistakably a were creature. I drew my axe, but the creature just stood there, it did not attack. I called out to it, but it did not respond. I got the strong impression it was fighting against it's inner rage, fighting a losing battle to try and stop itself from attacking me. I left immediately.

I have since learned that this site was build by Pik and Desli, two adventurers. They must have constructed this house here, far away from civilisation to try and isolate themselves and stop their terrible affliction from spreading further.

The next day I found Imic Heatherwinds corpse.

Other historians have ignored this character, because no great deeds are attributed to him, as he died early in his journey. This is however a grave injustice. Imic Heatherwind is noteworthy for many reasons. Notably, he was the very first adventurer that went on an adventure for the museum after it was founded. A more important fact however is that he was a moth man. A winged, four armed creature of diminuitive size. More moth men must exist but none have ever seen them, and this is one of the great mysteries of our time. In his journal Imic mentions that he came from the invisible forest. Certainly some adventurer must go there on a quest, to see if more of his kin can be found. It seems from his writing that Imic was a colourful and friendly character. Among his possessions I found a wooden istrul. A tiny instrument that would have been just the right size for him to play.  Imic's corpse is now entombed in Herograves, the oaken istrul was included with him in the grave.

Imic the Mothman with his Istrul:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:44:34 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 07, 2021, 08:23:38 pm »

Anyone notice that during Imic's turn, the elves lost all FIVE THOUSAND of their goblin cannon fodder and The Realm of Silver lost another 1.4k humans? Also The Realm of Silver is kinda in a civil war in some sites. I haven't checked the other civs if they also have civil wars, but TRoS's situation is egregious.

Even the goblins (as total population) lost 5000 of their own, which means... what? Orid Xem just sent them into oblivion?

(Sorry I haven't read your log yet, Bralbaard, I want to catch up before I read it. Welcome back from the grave though.)
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 07, 2021, 09:49:28 pm »

I’m... I’m not crying, I’ve got smoke in my eyes.

Thank you Bralbaard. You’re a legend.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 08, 2021, 04:37:52 am »

I really like the premise of this adventure so far.

And I believe Pik and Desli won't talk to you because they're intelligent undead; usually intelligent undead that aren't directly controlled by a player refuse to speak at all, even though they technically can. It might be a product of the NO_EMOTIONS tag, but I haven't tested it. I bet their and your undead status is also overriding the usual hostility CRAZED creatures have. Or you didn't get close enough to trigger them to attack.

I'm also surprised Amsir and Slenshi are alive at all!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 09, 2021, 08:23:02 am »

In the last part of my journal I told you how Imic was laid to rest, but his body was not the only thing I returned with from this journey. After finding his body I went to the keep to inquire if I could take it for proper burial. People will have their doubts when they see an undead drag another corpse trough the streets, so I thought it would be better to inform the authorities first. At the keep I met a goblin named Sigun Momentknowing. He accepted my explanation and even offered to travel with me back to Herograves, so he could explain if any questions were asked. I gladly accepted.

After we had laid Imic’s body to rest, I had expected Sigun to leave, but he said he would be glad to accompany me on my further journey. At first I was puzzled as to why he was so eager to leave his home town, but as I got to know him better I learned he was hiding a terrible secret:

He was carrying Raki’s curse. Had he confessed to anyone else,  they would likely have executed him on the spot. I however know enough about involuntary curses to not pass such a judgement. Besides, I can use his help, as capable guards will be needed for Herograves. I can not hope to defend it from necromancers on my own.

My next mission to bring back a fallen adventurer was a far more personal one. Slenshi and Amsir had helped me construct Herograves, and I am in their debt for this. I could not pay them in money, but I promised them to bring back the corpse of their former traveling companion Doñas Silenttowers and give him a proper burial, as Slenshi and Amsir are too old to make the journey. He had died fighting the taiga titan Ozob Noxron Umstosslexsmul, in a shrine not far from here.
I was not confident we would succeed in this mission, and my confidence sank further when we reached the site. Raki had raided the shrine several decades ago, and many stories are still told about how he raised Ozob from death as a zombie titan. It was clear he had also gone through the other corpses and raised many of them as his soldiers, as the number of corpses scattered about the shrine was far lower than what Amsir had described to me. In the end though, I found one skeleton for which I was certain that it belonged to Doñas; it still wore a bracelet made of dragon bone, and a ring of the same material.

Slenshi and Amsir were there when we laid  Doñas body to rest. When I looked at those two old people overcome by grief at Doñas grave I knew I was terribly out of place. I could not feel what they felt. Though I remember from when I lived that grief is an unpleasant feeling, I realize I am incomplete without it.

The dragon bone ring will accompany Doñas in his grave, the dragon bone bracelet will be placed in the museum, so that the living may remember him.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:37:53 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 09, 2021, 01:57:58 pm »

After Doñas body was put to rest, I took a brief pause from my tasks as a funeral manager.

Sigun and I stopped by in Treatyseed. The old capital was even more chaotic than usual. In fact, the whole temple collapsed on itself just as I walked into the fortress. This did not seem to bother the locals.

In addition, another battle was being fought in the lower levels. Nobody had cleaned up any of the mess from earlier battles either.
I came to Treatyseed to file an official complaint. Apparently I have been stripped of my title as a baron. I can understand they needed a replacement during the time I was actually dead, but now that I am back I would like the position back.
The nobles were too busy strangling goblins and I did not achieve much during my visit.

We decided to move on, and luck had it that there was a cave only a short walk away from Treatyseed where another unfortunate adventurer had met his end. According to my notes, Thon Scarone had travelled to the Shadow of Finching to fight an Ettin, and had his head bitten off.
Sigun and I made it to the cave and searched it from top to bottom, which took me a very long time. Items were scattered everywhere. I did find the morion crown that had belonged to Scarone, but there was no trace of the corpse. We also spend a lot of time searching the extensive caverns below the cave, and it is here that we ran into two humans, an old mother and her daughter. The cave was probably a hundred urist deep, and this was the last place where I had expected to find humans. I however quickly found out why they were hiding in this place.
They had been poisoned with vampire blood by an adventurer that had recently visited the site.
This is terrible news, it means that the vampire curse, which we thought was eradicated, was now spreading again. I however am not the person to fix this. These women carry no blame, like Sigun and I do not carry blame for the curse we carry. If the living think it would be acceptable to eradicate us then that would only be because emotions are clouding their proper judgement.
We stayed for a while, and I was shocked to learn that the older woman,  Sekur Handgoals, had been a traveling companion of Scarone. She told me many things about their travels, and in addition she could help me find Scarone’s corpse, it was somewhere out in the wilderness, outside of the cave.
The skeleton was incomplete, but that was to be expected after all this time. On the positive side, I could easily wrap the remaining bones in a piece of cloth and fit them in my backpack, it would not encumber me too much.

Scarone, in better times:

Sigun and I were about halfway our journey back to Boltspumpkin when disaster struck. We were ambushed by about 30 goblins. Our only chance was to run, but Sigun did not, he fought back. Had it been full moon, he would have easily dispatched all of them, now he fell quickly.

Others might have paused to grieve, I just continued alone.
I was already close to home when I saw the familiar shape of the Iron Deep on the horizon. Countless times had I passed by this site, but never had I entered. Now you should known that the historical journals about the site are a bit lacking in detail, which is something that has bothered me for a long time. I decided to do a bit of research myself.

Right away I noted an important difference between the descriptions of the site and the current situation. Yes, the mighty towers were there, the site was enormous. There was however no extensive flooding, and there were no cascading waterfalls. Everything had frozen solid.

I carefully climbed down, and found out right away that it might be difficult to get back out. Climbing is difficult with just one arm, and I lost my footing several times.

In the end I made it to the lower levels. There was far less water here than I expected, it presented no problem for exploration. The reports by earlier adventurers were accurate about the corpses though. A terrible thing had happened here. Dwarven corpses littered the halls and surface. Galka had been thorough in searching the site for artifacts, I found little else of note, but I was able to take many important notes that would no doubt result in a fine article on the history of the Iron Deep.   

When I got back to the stairs on my way to the surface something had changed for the worse. The ice above had melted. Both stairwells had changed into thundering waterfalls. I tried to climb the stairs, but was washed down time and time again. What was worse was the amount of debris that came with the water. Heavy wooden logs, corpses, pieces of armor. It was impossible to evade them all. I made it to the top of the stairs once, only be swept away again. Only the fact that I do not need to breathe saved me from drowning.

I thought about the enormous halls below. It would take days for these halls to fill, and for the water levels to rise above the stairs. I might never fill up if it was draining somewhere, which it probably did because it had not filled up over the past decades. There was also no guarantee that it would freeze over in the coming night. (ooc; there was also no way to rest or skip time, so waiting would be unbearable.)
I was trapped and had to look for another way out.

I dove deep underwater, and found a door leading deeper into the fortress, There was another door behind it and this worked as an improvised airlock. I closed the first door, and could therefore keep the area ahead free of water. I had entered the mines. I explored every tunnel, and all were dead ends. finally I made it to the magma forges. They were still glowing brightly after all these years. There was a narrow corridor ahead, towards a magma lake. I had to jump across a shallow puddle of magma to reach it.

I jumped and made it across, only to slip on the stairs beyond (hidden below that boulder), and to lose my footing and slide into the magma below.

It only took a second before I was back out. As if by a miracle I was unharmed and not on fire. Was I immune to fire? Unlikely. None of my clothes were burned, and they were normal flamable rags. (I exited DF at this point and checked if I had the temperature settings on, which I did, guess I was extremely lucky. My status was actually -swimming- when I regained control)
I guess the fact that all my belongings were absolutely soaked in water from my earlier ordeal saved me. It was now clear the corridor ended at the magma lake. The lake was surrounded by steep walls, but in the glow of the magma I could see other caves connect to this cavern, high above me.  Climbing with just one arm would be a terrible risk, but this was the only way out.  I studied the rock to plot the shortest and safest route, then went for it.
I made it to the cavern without losing my grip. I had escaped from the Iron Deep.

It was a long walk underground through the caverns from the Iron Deep to Pasttimegears, the closest place that I knew of that connects the surface to the underground caverns. As there is no light down there I have no idea how many days I spend in the cavern, but I had to backtrack dozens of times, many of the tunnels are dead ends. In the end, I did make it to the underground stairs of the fortress.

From there I returned to Herograves where Scarone’s remains were laid to rest. I put the morion crown in the casket as a gift to accompany him in death.
With that I will take a break from my journeys, I need to work on some papers on the history of the Iron Deep, and need to properly write down the new insights I’ve gained about the adventurers that have now been laid to rest.

I have submitted the dragon bone bracelet to the museum, and have also provided new pedestals which I crafted at Herograves, as we had run out of room to store items.

------

The save game can be found here.

I have not updated the map yet, but it should be sufficient to know that Herograves lies between the Shelter of Adventurers and Healerlashes, so very close to the museum.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 08:57:27 am by Bralbaard »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 09, 2021, 02:11:02 pm »

Has anyone else had any issues loading the save in legends viewer? It doesn't seem to want to load the legends_plus xml for me.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 09, 2021, 03:07:39 pm »

It's already been one week since I've picked up the save game, so Nogoodnames can start.

Alright, save looks good. I have some other stuff going on that's sucking up a lot of my free time and creative energy, but I'll see what I can do. Updates might be a bit delayed.

Before I start, is it okay if I make a very minor raw edit? I want to add either [SKILL:KNAPPING] or [SKILL:STONECRAFTING] to the stone axe reaction. This will allow stone axes to have quality levels above default and make them slightly more practical weapons.

I was also wondering about using AdvFort to make leather and bone equipment. I'd like this adventurer to be able to make all their own gear, but I understand if that's too much of an ask.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 09, 2021, 04:59:56 pm »

Has anyone else had any issues loading the save in legends viewer? It doesn't seem to want to load the legends_plus xml for me.
Just did an exportlegends all, and it seems to be loading fine on my end.

EDIT: We moved onto 47.05 after the Site Corruption Crisis, IIRC.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:31:47 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 09, 2021, 05:05:43 pm »

What version are we on? Did we ever move to .05?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 09, 2021, 07:07:07 pm »

Just did an exportlegends all, and it seems to be loading fine on my end.

EDIT: We moved onto 47.05 after the Site Corruption Crisis, IIRC.

What version of legends viewer and dfhack are you using? It wasn't loading the legends plus for me so it wasn't showing any of the names for artifacts or anything. I wanted to see where some of the artifacts from my turn as Iden ended up. Whatever happened to the emerald crown of Emeraldcrown?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 10, 2021, 02:16:19 am »

It's already been one week since I've picked up the save game, so Nogoodnames can start.

Alright, save looks good. I have some other stuff going on that's sucking up a lot of my free time and creative energy, but I'll see what I can do. Updates might be a bit delayed.

Before I start, is it okay if I make a very minor raw edit? I want to add either [SKILL:KNAPPING] or [SKILL:STONECRAFTING] to the stone axe reaction. This will allow stone axes to have quality levels above default and make them slightly more practical weapons.

I was also wondering about using AdvFort to make leather and bone equipment. I'd like this adventurer to be able to make all their own gear, but I understand if that's too much of an ask.

Hmm. I think there would not be much harm or risk in adding the skill tags.

About adventure fort; I don't know. We have not used it this far and I do not know much about it. Does it give the player a large advantage? what kind of things can you craft?
I assume it only allows you to craft existing item types, and that it would not cause any issues with the save game. Can people without adventure fort play the next turn without issues and has that been tested?

If the other players are in favor, nobody has strong objections, and it's safe, we could change the rules? Does anyone have answers to the questions above, or an opinion about advfort?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:46:46 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 263