Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 261

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 392236 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #810 on: March 12, 2021, 06:11:58 pm »

Meanwhile I have written the final part of my story, It can be found here.
I only barely made it out of the Iron Deep, that place is a trap  :P.
You actually found Thon's corpse! I failed to locate it despite giving the area a decent combover and thought it lost; we do' however' have a matching head in the museum' so hopefully one of the adventurers to make it will reunite them.
So Thon's head is at the museum, that explains a lot :-). I knew from Luckyowls story that Thon's head had been separated from the rest of him, but could not find his skull anywhere. Finding the body nearly took my sanity, actually. It was somewhere out in the forest at the very edge of the site and took ages to find. It looks like there was an event were all items were randomly scattered about the cave and surroundings, the morion crown was also nowhere near the corpse, and there were etin teeth everywhere.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 12, 2021, 09:56:59 pm »

Hey, Bralbaard, did you, uh, mod the museum? Because there's a civilized cave dragon running around there. I don't even know what to say about this...

It's even in your turn 1 save...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All hail the non-violent mega-beast I guess. I don't judge.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:33:02 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 13, 2021, 03:02:47 am »

That's awfully strange. But I can say it's not counted as a megabeast, cave dragons are just part of the cavernous wildlife but it certainly doesn't explain how this one somehow got a job as a mercenary. I mean, it's obvious that they'd want a cave dragon, but seriously how did it go about applying? If an adventurer found it, would it speak?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 13, 2021, 08:54:06 am »

Hey, Bralbaard, did you, uh, mod the museum? Because there's a
running around there. I don't even know what to say about this...
No it is unmodded. I think I even ran into this cave dragon character during my run as Raki. I ended up not writing about it as there was a lot of other stuff to report, and it was hard to fit into the story.
Here is a screenshot I took, this was in the camp of Wheelbeige:

Anyhow, This has apparently already been reported as a bug by others, In my opinion it is a feature that I would like to keep :-)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 13, 2021, 09:37:45 am »

No it is unmodded. I think I even ran into this cave dragon character during my run as Raki. I ended up not writing about it as there was a lot of other stuff to report, and it was hard to fit into the story.
Here is a screenshot I took, this was in the camp of Wheelbeige:

Anyhow, This has apparently already been reported as a bug by others, In my opinion it is a feature that I would like to keep :-)
To the HFS with just the keep, I want the instances to increase. Civilized original dragons! Civilized rocs! Civilized giants! Civilized direwolves! Civilize the world!

I posted on the bug tracker *whistles innocently in the background while lurking*

Quote from: Lurker Z

We have one at The Museum:

[...]

Can this become a feature? 3/3 people so far agree this can only be a good thing.

[...] but it certainly doesn't explain how this one somehow got a job as a mercenary. I mean, it's obvious that they'd want a cave dragon, but seriously how did it go about applying? If an adventurer found it, would it speak?
From what I understand from DF, if someone has the skills for it or if the AI wants them to be, they automatically become that profession. So if the AI wanted it to be a mercenary, it became a mercenary. How it applied and eventually became Lord of a group is the real question.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:49:56 am by Lurker Z »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 15, 2021, 03:02:24 pm »

How's it going NGN? Looking forward to hearing more about the bear man and his cougar-biting comrade.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 15, 2021, 08:57:22 pm »

Sorry it's taking so long. Like I mentioned, I'm pretty busy right now. I've played a bit more, but I probably won't have time to finish up until the weekend. I promise to have the save up by then if you'll allow the extension.

If anyone wants to go ahead and do their explorations of the bugged sites, I'd be fine with that happening concurrently.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 17, 2021, 06:19:44 pm »

Hey, so, uh, I'll just leave this here.

Between Windy Beans, Ol Name 1 and Dat Name 2, that family has gotten way more interesting than it already was...

Windy Beans seems funny and all, but she almost single-handedly wiped out what is currently the most populous human civ in the world. Who knows how the world would have turned out if she succeeded. The world might have been overrun by necros or just divided between necros and goblins and we'd have played the museum on a different world altogether.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:46:20 am by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 19, 2021, 10:34:39 pm »

Day 3

Cougar steaks for breakfast and then off again. We come across some buildings set apart from the nearby pits. There are many statues and engraved images here, mainly goblins and symbols, with some stranger creatures. A goblin religious site? It seems abandoned, perhaps we will be safe here for a time. I leave Ithra behind while I scout the rest of the site.

Not as abandoned as I’d hoped. I run into a goblin patrol on the west side of the compound. One sees me and looses an arrow. It goes wide.

I fall back. He follows, another overconfident glory hog. He fires another arrow. This one strikes true, piercing my neck and narrowly missing an artery. Can’t let him nock another arrow. No time to hesitate, I charge. I bring my axe to bear, breaking his leg and then his neck. A crack echoes out as both my axe and his spine are shattered. I hold him still and hasten his end.

The others come, alerted by the sounds of his death. Melee fighters with strong metal armour. I slip around them, undetected. They enter the nearby building searching for me. I follow in after and ambush them.

The one with the axe goes down with a quick crack to the head. The pike wielder seems to be sturdier. My other axe shatters against her helm and she turns to face me. I grab her pike mid-stab and rip it from her grasp. From there, the battle is short.

I grab some better armour for Ithra as well as the goblin's axe and shield. The crude axe stinks of death, and the sizing makes it awkward, but better to hold onto it until I can make something better. I resume my scouting and find another dead goblin archer. A victim of infighting perhaps? The rest of the site appears empty.

I return to Ithra. When I tell her of what happened, she proclaims me to be “the Hoary Merchant of Adventure.” Not sure what to think of that. I would have liked to take some time to rest here, but it’s too dangerous. The goblins are dead, but I can’t be sure some unnoticed member of their party didn’t run off to raise the alarm. We continue westward.

Along a riverbank, we encounter a most unusual creature. It’s about the height of a goblin, but with copper skin, a beard so long it drags on the ground, and so plump as to be almost spherical. It greets me jovially, and I realize that this must be one of the mythical dwarves! The stories I know all tell that the dwarves were wiped out long ago by their own hubris and lust for power. Clearly, much has changed in the outside world. The dwarf tells me that we are near the settlement of Lashedjade. From what he says, they live a relatively peaceful life here, aside from the threat of the Black Demon and his goblin raiders.

We soon find the entrance to Lashedjade, along with many more dwarves. They seem somewhat wary, especially around Ithra, but are otherwise quite welcoming toward us. Most seem to be merchants. Who they trade with in this goblin-infested wilderness is a mystery.

The dark tunnels these dwarves have carved out for themselves remind me of home. Except with fewer deadly traps and more random clutter. The upper levels are thick with fungal growth that I recognize from the deep caverns.

Night is falling. The dwarves have plenty of beds, but Ithra doesn’t want to impose. We set up camp a short distance away.

Day 4

The close call with the goblin archer has shown me the need for some better protection out here. My skin may be thicker than a goblin’s, but it won’t do much against metal weapons. We return to the dwarf settlement. I negotiate the use of some of their workshops and some unused animal carcasses in exchange for a portion of my craft. The dwarven tools make the work go quickly, and I soon have some decent bone and leather armour.

We depart around midday. As we leave, Ithra shows me an intricately carved wooden ring. She says she found it outside on the ground by riverbank. She brushes off my suggestion that the dwarves might want it returned. We move on.

We journey southwest, weaving between goblin trenches. Our path brings us into the vicinity of another patrol. Ithra charges in. Her confidence is shattered by a quick strike from the lead goblin, along with her ankle. I make my approach and swiftly swing the odds more in our favour.

This axe may be crude, but it is certainly effective. The goblins fall one by one. Ithra takes a few more injuries, but they will heal.

- Random human lord

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 21, 2021, 03:58:47 pm »

It's time to start the "Myths and Legends of Gor and Duskhome" special event that I promised.
As you know these two sites were lost to the corruption and are gone from our current save games, a great loss as they were largely unexplored. Luckily they can still be visited in old save games, but obviously that would mess with the timelines of our succession game. The solution is to treat any stories from these sites as myths an legends, so it makes sense from the world's perspective. Exploration will be possible during this event, and everyone can and join and play at the same time. (The normal game will keep running as well)

I will add a myths and legends section after the event has concluded that will link to all submited content.

Rules:
-everybody can join and play, you do not have to be on the turn list.
-The event ends in three weeks from now, that is the 18th of april.
-Keep your art and stories focused on Gor and Duskhome (!) not on other adventures.
-There are no rules for character levels, party size, you can start as many characters as you like.
-You can use legends mode only as well, if you want.
Let me know if I missed anything, or if there are any questions.

advice:
Luckyowl's save game is the last where these sites were intact, but technically you could play in any of the earlier save games since the sites were founded.
You can find the sites on the map on the first page of the forum topic.
----------------

Also, great story so far, Nogoodnames. I really like the approach to craft your own items and gear. I hope you've had enough time to expand on his adventure, and that there are still some updates to come.
With that said, could you finish your turn and upload the save game? Wonderpsycho will be the next in line.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:12:52 pm by Bralbaard »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will do my best to have the save uploaded tomorrow.
                        - Random human lord

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I don't know how interesting the sites are, there might not be enough to do for a big event.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I certainly had a good time in the Iron Deep, one of your other sites. I don't know much about these sites, but if nothing else, I've heard rumours that one of the sites is challenging enough to result in some fun stories.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice to see the event happening.

(Edited post because my assumptions were wrong: the mass deaths happened in later fortresses where HFS said hello to emigrants from Duskhome.)

So, I got the save. Just to recap: it's in Adventure Mode while Artha Peacefulsong the human female necromancer who's wounded is swimming in the middle of the ocean... for some reason.

Presumably, the forts are all viable here, because when I tried to reclaim Gor in turn 37 save, there was nothing there but a wandering spoiler.

I teleported Artha over to a quest marker so I could retire without killing her. Now, let's see what we've got here...

On an unrelated note, I found a civilized troll, in the way of that civilized cave dragon a while back.

My initial suspicions seems confirmed, as the "civilizing" of Rimara Staticperplexes seems to start since he was enslaved by a civilization. Interesting, it doesn't stop him from rampaging here and there, but later he's part of a religious order preaching tolerance or such.

He even married... but his spouse just started civilized. Interesting...

I have no idea how I find these, it's like a wiki-walk and I have no idea what I clicked to click to click to get to the article I found...

Holy yak bull, Duskhome is awesome! I recommend it to anyone to visit it. My fortresses are just squares in the earth compared to this. Imic is underestimating himself hard.

I only have one question at this time: what's with the duplicate stockpiles? Did the game forget their settings between sessions? Because they all take the same items and of all the qualities.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:50:42 am by Lurker Z »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Perhaps input/output stockpiles for workshops. I rarely do that myself but some do for stuff like decorations.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 261