Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409660 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

In the name of keeping the game going, here's the file: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15507

To summarise what's happened, until I can get a proper epilogue written up tomorrow:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

Disclaimer: DFHack-reveal was used to capture these screenshots after the fort was explored properly and several battles fought under the spire; this was done purely to show the sheer scale of the Sanctuary and the detail Imic put into its construction (and even then, I’m certain there’s a few parts I missed out on).

The simple entrance tunnel gave way into a great, vaulted hall of some kind, supported by two dozen evenly-spaced, thick pillars of smoothed stone and branching into three broad hallways. A dust-coated mass of trade goods – from dulled bars of bismuth bronze and blocks of obsidian to burnished steel low boots and dozens of masterfully-crafted iron mail shirts – sat forlorn at the centre of this hall, stacked in a single vast pile of wood, stone, and metal. Not a soul breathed as we stepped down the entry ramps, iron-clad boots sending echoes vibrating through the silent halls and up into the distant roof of this place.

Though our eyes should have seen through the gloom with ease, the shadows of this place seemed to move and swell on their own accord, growing to reduce our vision to a mere few feet ahead of us; we could make out little more than vague, looming shapes and the shape of some distant, grand hall. With little of interest to discern in the ruins of this apparent trade depot, we moved on into the leftmost of the three passages.

Spoiler:  Living Quarters (click to show/hide)

This place, it would seem, was once the living quarters of the fortress. The bedrooms were undisturbed, the beds neatly made. A thick mat of cobweb fell from one of the doors as we opened it, advertising the uselessness of further search. A search of the great dining hall and nearby rooms yielded similar results: nowhere in the corridors, bedrooms, and halls of the fortress has there been a sign of dwarven inhabitants, living or otherwise.

From there we returned to the trading hall, pausing only to enter the twinned smaller halls that preceded the vast expanse before us; nothing lay within but a grand medley of unnaturally life-like engravings and bas-reliefs. There was little consistency to their nature: here would be a relief of a zombie dwarf striking down another, to its side would be a travelling mass of dwarves, and to the side of that would be an image of snails and animal traps, like the gallery of some fanciful artist. Just as with the main hall, evenly-spaced pillars supported the roof, engravings crawling like ivy up the pallid stone.

Precisely what purpose these rooms might have served in the fortress’ golden days remains a mystery to us. There are none of the usual trappings of a temple or meeting area here, and the thickness of the dust within suggested a lack of use long before our arrival to the fortress. We left in haste through a pair of doors set into the far wall, emerging into an even greater hall.

Spoiler:  Workshop-Hall (click to show/hide)

If the trading hall was the outside face of the fortress, then this would have been its beating industrial heart. Workshops and stockpiles dominated the vast space of the hall, separated by thick walls and pillars of smoothed stone. An enormous number of iron picks lay piled at the far side of the hall, with loops of iron chain coiling around the broad staircases; heaps of gems, both rough and carefully cut, stood opposite silent workshops; vast quantities of furniture and trader goods simply sat abandoned in a great pile near the centre of the room, having seemingly been dragged from the workshops and forgotten.

The forges, similarly, were cold and dead; a thick layer of dust had settled upon the anvils and tools, and several bars of iron and wafers of adamantine lay abandoned on the stone. 

The corridor into the deeper fortress was lined with statues and paved with a single dark red line of ore-bearing stone. The forms of dwarves prostrated before doors wreathed in flame watched us on all sides, unnaturally life-like eyes boring into our armoured backs as we threaded past dead-falls and lethally-sharp traps. Several human corpses lay scattered about on and near the traps, one of them headless, another lacking an arm and slumped in the middle of the corridor, a few meters away from the great adamantine portal at the corridor’s end.

Before us, at the bottom of the twisting, spiralling tunnel, there stood a maze. Each and every door was marked with the emblem of the burning door and prostrate dwarf.

We dared not split up, lest this place’s twists and turns swallow us whole and render us easy prey for whatever dark entities lay deep within this fallen fortress. I cannot tell with any certainty how long we marched through those tunnels, half-blind and groping at the walls for stability. Time after time after time again, we thought we had found a way further into the fortress, only to find ourselves stepping back into rooms from which we had came – and all the while, from every corner, every door-way, every statue, and every shadow, the engraved eyes of dwarves prostrated before a burning door were upon us.

In the end, though, we found the way – leaving a trail of coins behind us, we were able to mark out already-travelled passages, narrowing them down one by one until only one remained.

At the end of this passage, we would find the fate of the fortress’ residents.

A great temple, bigger than even the grand halls before. A high, vaulted ceiling, reaching up further than our eyes could see – and each and every three feet apart, a statue of a burning door and submissive dwarf, hewn from hematite and carved to an unnervingly lifelike degree. Some twisted creature of ash and hard-packed dust dived down at us from above, only to be struck to the ground and disintegrate in a choking cloud of grey dust, covering several of the statues in a patina of ash.

A simple tunnel lead out of the temple into a massive vein of blue ore, glass-smooth and cold to the touch. Around its hollowed-out centre, a dozen bodies lay, broken and twisted at unnatural angles.

There were no signs of a struggle, or even of fear – indeed, the faces of several bodies were fixed in masks of serene calm, others in expressions of blank obedience, and others still in a rapturous grin wide enough to tear at the cheeks. Almost all were heavily mutilated or at least decaying, several having had their bones run together like wax; others had been broken as though by immense hooves, while others bore a strange, powdery residue across their dried-out skin. And at the centre of it all, surrounded by chunks of the glassy blue ore, the skeleton of some immense b

(Page abruptly terminates; the ink has run, rendering the remaining words all but illegible. The remaining pages are covered in ash, demonic ichor, and dried web, obscuring any further writing).

OOC: The demons here are kinda weak due to being nearly all powder-tissued or water blobs, so there wasn’t much to mention combat-wise beyond ‘You shoot an angry look at the Sleet Fiend/Demon of Tears/Grey Spectre and it spontaneously explodes!’.

Hell, around 15th Obsidian.

From the moment they dropped down from the very lowest level of the adamantine vein, nearly breaking against the dark stone below, they had been embattled – the demons came from every side, howling and gibbering, mandibles and teeth snapping at the air as they closed in on the three adventurers. They met them with whirling strikes from freshly-forged short swords and battle axes, forged or taken from the fallen Sanctuary.

Massive plumes of steam mixed with the deadly dust of a half a dozen demons, reducing their sight to a mere few meters before them; more than once, one of the great ape-like beasts would charge forth through the choking clouds of dust and steam, swiping with their great paws in an effort to crush the three or simply fling them into the eerie pits that dotted the blasted landscape. More than once they succeeded, using the choking dust as a weapon to hurl their foes aloft, only for them to crash back down unharmed as their armour absorbed the force of the blows.

They answered the strikes with blows of their own – Ragnar was a whirling maelstrom of razor-sharp adamantine and iron, effortlessly driving his axe through demonic flesh and bone to sever the arms and legs of the beasts; Athama was never far behind, slashing off hands and slicing through necks and heads with quick, deft flicks and swipes of his twin swords. Irthu trailed behind them with his swords at the ready, guarding against the demons’ efforts to strike at his vulnerable comrades’ backs. Where sheer strength and adamantine weaponry was not enough, sharp flicks of the hand and bursts of magic did what the former could not achieve; demons large enough to crush them underfoot froze in their tracks and toppled to their faces with splintering crunches, to be finished off at the leisure of the trio.

On and on and on they fought. They tore the bulbous heads from the charging fiends of ash and steam, only to be forced to leap and scramble away from the thick strands of webbing spat by pine-haired marmot-like devils and the skinless beasts; they froze them in their tracks with violent twitches of the hand and bursts of dark magic, only to be forced to carefully pick their way between the sticky strands that had settled upon the black stone as murderous flocks of kinglet-like beasts dove at them – more than once, one of them was caught in the webbing and sent crashing to the ground, upon which the remaining two would retreat to their ally’s side and work to cut him free of the clinging web, fending off approaching demons and sending arcs of ichor and goo flying in a dozen directions.

Other times they retreated before the web could strike even one of them, weaving between the thick strands of web before paralysing the towering brutes with the dark magic granted to them by the power animating their bodies. There would be a quick flash of blades, occasionally a hasty dodge to hide behind the corpse of a fallen demon as the supernatural paralysis wore off and webbing filled the air, and then another slain demon would join its fellows upon the cold stone underfoot.

For Irthu, the battle had long since blended together into one long seamless stream of bloodshed. He could barely tell apart the forms of the demons charging towards them, their shrieks of rage and pain blurring into one endless cacophony as the three of them tore into the charging beasts. They fought for minutes, hours, days – he lost track of time, every thought consumed by the bloodshed raging around him and the movements of the rampant demons, the coughing gurgle of webs being spat and the howls of dying demons.

At last, however, the tide seemed to be turning: the horde was thinning out, the leading demons charging into the fray – soon, there would be an end to this madness, one way or another.
This quintet of demons were not like the simple, bestial creatures they had faced so far. Their eyes gleamed with dark intelligence, and they picked their moments to strike rather than merely rushing blindly against the three demon-slayers.

Ragnar’s arm twisted with a sickly crunching sound as one of them landed a thunderous kick against his shield, twisting the gauntleted arm it was attached to an unnatural angle. A noise like a branch breaking rang out as his wrist shattered and one of his axes fell away. To his credit, he did not even hesitate or slow down before stamping down to send the axe flying back up, seizing it in his remaining hand and delivering a vicious strike to the beast’s neck that sent its massive head crashing to the floor.

One of the two massive kinglet-like monsters swept its wings downward, cawing in murderous triumph as its massive left wing managed to crudely trap Athama’s main arm – a pity, then, that it had forgotten his other, which promptly sent his other sword sweeping down towards the wing’s joint. The kinglet, realising the danger it had placed itself in, tried to pull away from the attack, only for the blade to effortlessly cut halfway through the wing before sticking fast. The kinglet’s own movements did the rest, tearing the rest of the wing off and sending it shrieking to the slade floor as Athama set to work on carving its twin apart.

Irthu himself was facing off against the final two: one of the massive green marmots, and an immense skinless bull, both trailing thick strands of sticky web from their open jaws. A flick of his hand paralysed one of them, sending the marmot crashing to the ground with a muted bellow of indignant rage. The massive bull promptly charged forwards with a long, atonal bray of aggression, massive fits readied to strike and its hooved feet ringing off the slade. Thick, glistening strands of webbing spewed from its gaping maw, rushing through the air in an effort to ensnare its prey.

By way of answer, he whipped about as fast as possible, dodging between several of the thicker strands as the tingling sensation of his paralysis spell began to return to his arm – beside him, Ragnar was already closing in, raising his remaining hand into a sharp flicking gesture towards the massive bull. It toppled with a roar of fury, its limbs ceasing to obey its commands as Irthu rushed past towards the massive marmot, only to be silenced as Crewwheeled severed its head; he barely noticed Athama finish off the now-flightless kinglet, too focused on the way that the marmot was beginning to rise up again.

The marmot demon knew it, too: he could see that rank, black delight flare in its eyes as its limbs began to twitch back into life, the malevolent joy as it realised he was too close to dodge its webs. It began to lurch upright as strength and feeling flooded back into its limbs, building up the strands of webbing in its throat to spit them at the charging human. Yet as it did so, Irthu felt an increasingly familiar sensation within his hand – the sharp, electric tingling of his paralytic ability being ready again.

A flick of his hand sent it back to the ground, muscles locking rigid. It managed one final, defiant shriek of hatred and rage before his sword ripped through its skull and tore the brain apart. Irthu almost involuntarily slumped to his knees in a half-instinctual gesture of exhaustion as the roars and screeches faded; no more demons dared approach the spire, driven away by the fighting or slain in their futile efforts to end the interlopers.

Three figures, two clad in freshly-forged adamantine, one in blood-spattered iron, stood upon blood-slick slade. Around them, stacked dozens deep and towering over them even in death, lay the headless corpses of two hundred demons.

In the aftermath of that climactic battle in the Underworld, little more would be seen of the three demon-slayers. Fools assumed them to have died, slain by whatever lurked in the black heart of the Abyssal Sanctuary; many a traveller to the Museum held that they had simply parted ways after delivering the masterwork sarcophagus that lay in the back of the castle’s hall, their adventure coming to a close as their goals were fulfilled.

A few know the truth: that they travelled south to the Shelter of Adventures, and sought counsel with the Necromancer Glloyd Ancientborn the Round, offering several crafts of adamantine and their service in guarding the camp in exchange for shelter there.

And it is there that they remain to this day, the three undying mercenaries standing watch at the Shelter’s gate – forever ready to welcome new adventurers or to strike down those who might threaten their new home.

EDIT: All credit for the drawings goes to Outcast Games and their artists – besides shamelessly basing my adventurers on them, all I did was cut the images down from a screenshot and apply a filter to the images, for ease of seeing the details properly.

Good luck, Glloyd; it'll be interesting to see what happens with your turn! 

And to end this relatively ill-written story, how was this for a turn?

EDIT: As usual, I'd like to request to be put back on the turn list.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:57:36 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I liked it. May I also say that your art is spectacular.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

I liked it. May I also say that your art is spectacular.
Probably should've mentioned it earlier (as I did on my last turn, but I was tired when I posted this last night), but that art is credited to Outcast Games and their artists. I can't draw for toffee.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:57:07 am by Quantum Drop »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Oh. Well, that ruins it then. I can no longer in good faith say even a single word of positivity about your turn, not when I have seen before my eyes such vulgar deception. I turn the back of my left shoulder towards you, you fiend!

Mandatory disclaimer for that one guy out there: this is a joke
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #860 on: April 20, 2021, 05:20:35 pm »

Awesome stuff, The Sanctuary must have taken ages to build, that place is incredible.

I have updated a lot of posts, but I still need to reread some peoples stories to make sure I did not miss anything in recent adventures.
No response from Glloyd so far. We'll wait a bit longer.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 20, 2021, 05:53:06 pm »

Sorry! I picked up the save, I will get started on it tomorrow.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 22, 2021, 09:45:11 pm »

Before I waste more time, I think I'm going to need to be skipped. I just don't have the time to commit to this like I wanted to right now, and I've barely had a chance to play since I picked up the save. I'll post what would've been my first entry, which wraps up my previous turn and provides the hook for what I would have done this turn (which I'll still do when I play next), but I think it's best to just pass the turn to the next person and continue on. No need to upload my save, I haven't done much besides pop in as my necromancer character and take a few screenshots, so you can just use QD's save. I do want to do this turn at some point though, so add me back to the list please. I know for a fact I'll have more time whenever it comes my way again, I'm just extraordinarily busy until mid-May.

Sorry for pulling out like this! I was looking forward to what I had planned for my turn, I just don't have the time for it right now unfortunately. Good luck to the next player!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 23, 2021, 05:03:23 pm »

Sorry to hear that. If you're busy untill half may I could move you four places down the turn list?

Are you sure you don't want to upload the save game? I understand there was a bit of progress? If not we'll move on to the next person.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 23, 2021, 05:43:26 pm »

I have only just now noticed I am not on the turn list, I might request a spot at the end.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 23, 2021, 08:44:51 pm »

Toss me in wherever you can fit me, I'd love a turn.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 23, 2021, 10:40:53 pm »

Sorry to hear that. If you're busy untill half may I could move you four places down the turn list?

Are you sure you don't want to upload the save game? I understand there was a bit of progress? If not we'll move on to the next person.

If that's okay with others, sure! I don't want others to feel like I'm jumping the queue though. I just don't have the time right now, as much as I wish I did. As for the save, it's okay. There wasn't any actual progress, I was just taking some screenshots as my necromancer character to set up my turn.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 25, 2021, 02:22:52 am »

I'll start in the morning. Can't promise much bc work is rough lately but I have a couple hours to myself every night.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 25, 2021, 10:25:23 pm »

Hey, here’s the final entry for my last turn. Sorry this took so long.

Thoughts of Arcturus Cinderfang - Day 5

We continue southwest. Finally, the goblin trenches begin to thin. It is a relief to walk in land unmarred by their war preparations.

We approach the mountains and are greeted by an awe-inspiring sight. Glittering in the midday sun, a citadel of carved gold blocks lies nestled between the rocky ridges. “Bloody dwarves, always so ostentatious.” Remarks Ithra, but I see the look of wonder in her eyes.

We enter the gilded keep and see that it is not abandoned. A few people cluster around a trading stall stacked high with various meats. Dwarves and things that look like dwarves, but less hairy, and stretched to be nearly as tall as me. Ithra identifies them as humans.

We are well-stocked with the bounty of my hunting, but we do acquire a more recent map. The humans and dwarves are eager to hear our story and have some interesting tales of their own. They tell us that this fortress was built long ago but taken by the undead scourge. It was reclaimed some decades ago with the resurgence of the dwarves. We ask more on how the dwarves came back from near-extinction and they are happy to fill us in. They tell us of the legendary museum of Boltspumpkin, which served as a spark that reignited the dwarven pride. It drove the disparate enclaves of the Walled Dye to unite and reclaim their heritage. They tell us also, of another clan of dwarves, the Staff of Kissing. They were rumored to have died out centuries before the apocalyptic march of the undead, having never claimed lands beyond their singular fortress. Yet when the Walled Dye returned to the world, dwarves claiming to be of that lost clan also made a resurgence. The dwarves mention that the original home of the Staff of Kissing, Latewhipped, is only a few days travel to the northwest. Such a tale of rebirth intrigues me, but we have our mission.

We spend a little time venturing deeper into the fortress. Despite the obvious wealth of its builders, the interior is sparse and barely lived in. This place must have been young indeed when it was conquered. The small current population may not measure up to its original ambitions, but their reclamation effort is inspiring, nonetheless. We thank the settlers for their hospitality and continue westward, following an ancient dwarven road across the mountains.

The sun hangs low in the sky as we journey away from the Perfect Horns once again. We find ourselves in desert scrub, rugged but far more alive than the wastes back home. I spot signs of a small camp on the horizon. Another goblin patrol? We should be far from their settlements now… I tell Ithra to hold position while I scout it out.

A diminutive brown creature wearing rags darts past me as I approach the camp. Memories of ancient cave paintings back home flash through my mind as recognition dawns on me. It is a kobold! Whispers of a dead race given flesh! I quickly follow it to the camp and see several more of the creatures.

To my horror, one of the kobolds is collapsed and bloodied on the ground, being beaten by one of its fellows. None of the others move to help it, or even react to my presence. What is this? Some kind of ritualistic punishment? I try to intervene, but my cries go unheard.

The injured kobold rattles out its death gasp and silence encompasses us. As if a trance was broken, the other kobolds finally seem to take notice of me. They wordlessly scatter and run away.

Poor degenerate creatures… A far cry from the cunning and ingenious architects of my home. Yet, they still live, long lost descendants of those mighty trap makers. The dwarves spoke of the rebirth of their civilization, could not the same be done for the kobolds? I take the body of the slain kobold. Whatever the reason for its execution, its life was still precious, deserving of proper entombment. I hasten back to meet Ithra. We make camp and I tell her of what has transpired. She agrees that our mission can tolerate a slight detour. We make plans to head for the sites most tied to the dwarven resurgence, Latewhipped and then Boltspumpkin. We shall discover the truth of their return.

Day 6

We continue west on the way to Latewhipped. We pass by many settlements, but do not pause our journey. At the edge of what our new map identifies as civilized land, we do decide to make one final stop at a small human village. The map identifies it as the hamlet of Homagemoons.

At first sight, the hamlet appears abandoned. Several wooden huts lie in decaying ruin. We search further in and hear voices coming from a few intact houses. We find a small handful of humans living in them. They are welcoming to us. Hearing of our journey, they suggest that we seek the guidance of their god, Hibor Walkmerchants, at the local shrine.

I roll the shrine’s divining die as instructed and am shown the image of a full moon. The locals identify it as the “Mammoth Moon” and tell me that it is a sign of great misfortune. They wish us luck on our journey, but they refuse to meet our eyes when they do so.

Day 7

The journey north takes us along the mountains. I once again see the striking glossy black of obsidian. Razor sharp ridges of it jut out from the ground in places. Alas, I am not able to use it for an axe blade. I will still need to rely on the crude goblin weapon.

The sun hangs low in the sky. We reach Latewhipped.

The entrance hall is unremarkable. Desiccated meats and cheeses still sit in stone pots, as if waiting for someone to buy them after all these centuries. We head down into the gloomy depths. The air here is dry and stale. There is a smell like ash from a long since extinguished fire. We enter a hall decorated with statues depicting monstrous creatures and horrific imagery. Is this a clue to the fate of this place’s inhabitants? Did they choose to record their final days in this way?

We descend further and come across a shrine quite similar to the one in the human village. I roll the die here as well. There is no one left to interpret the result, but I get an ominous feeling. Perhaps it is just the oppressive atmosphere of this place.

Further down still, we find a cache of supplies left by the dwarves. Weapons, armour, gemstones. The great crafts of this civilization, untouched since their fall. Ithra picks up a metal helmet and looks at it in awe. She identifies the material as the legendary dwarven steel. Unbelievably strong compared to the common metals known to human and goblin smiths. I let her take whatever she can wear. I take a few crafts to serve as evidence of our being here. A few books stand out from the pile, but I can’t tell if they have any relevance to our quest.

Hours pass by as we wander the mazelike hallways of dwarven residences. Beds still made, cabinets full of clothes. Whatever happened here did not prompt a panicked evacuation. Yet still we find nothing conclusive on what caused the dwarven resurgence.

We continue our search. The smell of ash is strong here. A fitting odour for this ancient tomb. But if it is a tomb, where are the bodies? Have they all crumbled to dust? We enter a new section of residences. The smell of ash is overpowering. I open a door…

…and am greeted by a monstrosity. A bloated blob of roiling ash, supporting an armoured plate. For a moment I swear I see dwarven faces in the ash. It exudes a cloud of dust that obscures my sight. Could this be the doom of Latewhipped?

I swing my axe, and something heavy clatters to the floor. I swing again, and whatever movement was occurring behind the dust ceases.

The dust clears, and the beast is no more. All that remains is a pile of inanimate ash and its heavy shell. How could such a weak thing exterminate a civilization? Had the centuries of isolation starved it to the brink of death? Or perhaps this was all that remained of a far more insidious threat. I spend some time checking myself over. Nothing feels amiss.

We complete our search of the fortress but turn up nothing more. We have evidence of its builders’ fate, but things are far from clear. Their return remains a complete mystery. I pick up some of the monster’s ash and its heavy shell. Perhaps they will mean something to the learned scholars of Boltspumpkin.

Day 11

Little of note happens on our journey south. We make few stops; enough time has been wasted already. The days get colder the further we travel. Desperate wolves ambush us in the forests near Boltspumpkin. They are easily dispatched.

The walls of the great museum stretch before us. The sight may pale next to the golden fortress we saw up north, but it is still impressive. We enter the keep. It is a cramped, chaotic mess of bones and books. The goblin curator barely looks up to acknowledge our presence before returning to his work. His lack of reaction is testament to the many bizarre patrons of this place, some of whom we meet.

None here seem to know any more of the Staff of Kissing’s story than we have already pieced together. Nor can they offer more than a mundane explanation for the dwarves’ return in general.  Perhaps it was naïve of me to think I could find a simple way to save the kobolds. I leave the remains of the ash beast in the upper floor of the museum. I hope a better scholar than I can glean some meaning from them.

It is time to resume our primary mission. We learn from the museum staff that The Creamy Confederacy recently reclaimed the town of Growlsuppers. Ledir Judgedbuckle, our lawgiver, has been living there personally to oversee its restoration. This is good news, Growlsuppers is relatively nearby. We say our goodbyes and set off once again.

Day 12

The journey to Growlsuppers is uneventful. Our passage is aided by the freezing of a mighty river. The south is frigid indeed.

We approach the town. From a distance, it is an impressive sight with many sprawling structures. However, many of these are revealed to be abandoned ruins as we get closer.

We encounter no one until we reach the keep. Entering, we find Ledir surrounded by his courtiers. I start to speak, but it seems word of our journey has already reached them.

I press forward to Ledir, summarizing our journey and explaining why we have come. He looks puzzled for a moment and tells me that the elves have not dared to attack for over sixty years. I relate everything I was told of the invasion. Ledir calls on one of the courtiers over and speaks to her in hushed tones. She glances at me, says something back, and chuckles. Ledir explains to me that both elves I had been told were planning the attack are long since dead. In fact, Nisa Cleanfish was killed during the last invasion of my home. His words strike me like a hammer blow.

Was my family merely mistaken? Or was this whole quest an excuse to be rid of me? Goblins have perfect memory. Surely, they would know Nisa had been killed.

I thank Ledir and offer him one of the treasures from Latewhipped, a beautiful crown carved from gems the colour of rich golden honey. He takes it graciously.

With Ledir’s permission, I lay the body of the kobold I have been carrying to rest in the keep. I am at a loss on what to do now. My quest from home was nothing more than a snipe hunt and I do not know how I could help the kobolds. I shall stay here for a while and contemplate the future. Perhaps Ledir has some use for me.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 25, 2021, 10:50:34 pm »

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 263