Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409905 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #885 on: May 12, 2021, 03:29:39 am »

Okay, take this with a grain of salt, but I think one of my past adventurers (or something on them) is causing the issue.

I started there with all six of them (Urus, Ketas, Abhaar, Irthu, Athama, Ragnar) in one party, found FPS issues were happening like LZ described, then fast travelled north to a human town with them. Retired all six of them there, then started again using Glloyd's Necromancer. No FPS issues, whether starting at the Shelter or travelling away then attempting to approach it.

I'll try and do some further tests after my lectures today to see if it's any specific adventurer that's causing the issues, or whether it's something they happen to be carrying or suchlike, but for now, I believe a quick-fix would be to make the six of them into one party and retire them elsewhere (such as one of the nearby monasteries).

(I guess it was an undead invasion, just not in the conventional way  :-[ )

EDIT: Also, excellent turn, Lurker Z!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:04:06 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game
« Reply #886 on: May 12, 2021, 07:30:04 am »

Forgot to ask, please add me to end turn of the list when you update, thanks.
15:The last vampires blood Quantum Drop slew the last vampire that inhabited this world, the museum now has this foul beasts blood on display: The proof that these hideous creatures are now finally gone, forever. Recently it was noted that the containers were not as full as before. The museum staff mantains that it must have evaporated.
That's a good joke. This is ironically related to The Shelter of Adventurers, before I retired I tried entering in Fortress Mode in the shelter in the save before mine... and it gave 100 FPS, no problems. There are also vampire adventurers there.

Regarding the quote, is this a lore thing? Because other than lore, it's not true. The world is probably still full of vampires.

And speaking of vampires, I hinted at it, not sure if it was mentioned, but it's possible Ragnar contaminated several settlements with Asmel Avuzadas's vampire's blood, including infected about half the ruling body of Omon Obin.

On the bright side, while I didn't have the courage to tackle Uja, I did dethrone her. I couldn't put on the throne someone of the old blood, but her replacement at least is an already existent historical figure (while I suspect Uja was just created from nothing by the game to rule).

Thanks for the support on my turn, though my best accomplishment feels like arriving at my destination (and back home). I'm curious if the artifact move sticks. It's a shame I'll have to wait a week to see what some of my changes have wrought, because some things don't update as soon as you retire. (For example, will they make me a noble? 2 kills might not be enough notoriety.)

My entry:
22. Ligircaspa Osmahegesh / Clearingheaven the Quiescent Heather, a legendary anhydrite amulet, an Omon Obin relic dating from 458. It was rescued from the heart of Omon Obin by Lurker "Lockkingdom" Onecbehal in fear it would be tainted by its fell rulers. It is whispered it will bring the peace of Loli Fairclearing to the world.

Edit: Yeah, something definitely broke on my turn. I embarked there in Fortress Mode, FPS dropped horribly. No visible undead invasion except these guys (with which the save before mine worked at 100 FPS).

Spoiler: Others in the Shelter (click to show/hide)

Maybe Bralbaard can try his restoration magic? It's a shame I didn't get to see it in adventure mode, I saw a lot of nice stuff while I was looking in Fortress Mode around.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:30:07 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 12, 2021, 09:29:17 am »

snip
It's a lore thing - Raggy-boi did indeed create a whole bunch of vampires in the south, which I hinted at in the summary-post before the (admittedly pretty shitty) ending of my last turn, and a couple other adventurers (Ketas, Urus, Abhaar, Nom the Cheese, and Fidale, at the very minimum) also drank/took some of the blood.

One way of explaining it in-universe would be that the vast majority of the new vampires haven't been publicly outed as such by adventurers or their peers, so word hasn't spread from person to person that they're back in business. On top of that, the Museum would naturally be pulling the 'evaporation' excuse to evade awkward questions on why the loss of vampire blood from their exhibit directly corresponds with the rise in new (alleged or otherwise) vampire sightings.

The artefact move may or may not stick; Heavenheaters the Fair Peace or whatever that artefact gem's name was teleported back to its home after several turns, but IIRC it might be okay if it was kept in a container of some kind and you brought it to the Museum in said container.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:27:46 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 13, 2021, 06:59:16 pm »

Hey all!

Save's here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15532

Apologies for the rushed turn and general lack of updates' I've been somewhat busy lately; I think there has been no short tragedy for the past couple turns' so here I provide some work for the gravediggers:

Entry 1
My nephews have been badgering me endlessly about this recently opened ‘Museum’. Every so often they would say: ‘Unca, can we go to the The Museum?’. And I would smack them over their eyestalks and reply: ‘You don’t repeat no definite articles, whippersnappers! I’m not taking you anywhere until you learn to speak properly!’. And yet, despite my best efforts to educate them, they’re still astonishingly sluggish and stupid!
It’s not that I don’t want the best for them, but they can really be a handful. Ever since my sister and her husband were invited by an eccentric goblin nobleman for a dinner party – where they were supposed to consume ‘escargot’, whatever that was; some dialectal goblin name I can hardly pronounce – some two years ago, I have been providing them with shelter, food, dress and education to the best of my abilities, but there’s only so much a single snail can do!
Which makes me think, maybe I really should take them to this ‘Museum’. Travelers tell tall tales about it being full of natural and artificial wonders, so maybe it’ll instill in them a love of the sciences? That would certainly secure them a decent enough future. Yes, I think it’s set. We’ll go there.
First, however, I need to ask my boss for a holiday.
I find him – as expected – in the meadhall, doing – as expected – absolutely nothing. And as it turns out, he’s just as insistent on having me work as hard as possible, as he’s on not working personally on anything – can’t have too much micromanagement and other such excuses. Finally, I persuade him – or rather tire him out enough that he agrees to let me have a week off.

All done! I stuff my nephews into my rucksack and together, we set out for the Museum. I can’t shake a feeling that something is going to go wrong.

Entry 2
We have arrived in the Museum safe and sound, and I can proudly say, I’ve been absolutely right. This is a disaster. No only is this thrice-damned ‘Museum’ filled to the brim with some grotesque mementos of death and violence, it didn’t traumatize my nephews as was to be expected. Instead, it only brought their hidden (well, partially) psychopathic nature to light and buffeted them. They started entering the eye sockets of long dead warlords, leaving trails of slime all over ancient artifacts, and Sabu even started nibbling the hands of a supposed necromancer! Luckily, with the help of the staff and residual adventurers we managed to bring my nephews under control. Those whippersnappers!
What’s worse though, they now want me to make a contribution! Me, an office clerk! Preposterous! Will a tired uncle ever find rest?
‘I need a bloody drink…’ I say, rolling my eyestalks in the air.
‘Oh, we have exactly what you need!’ The friendly goblin monk points me toward a wall lined with barrels.
‘Hm? Oh, no, I wouldn’t want to impose.’ I excuse myself, so as not to make a scene in front of my nephews. I can’t let them see an old snail drunk, after all!
In the end I relented and decided to look for something to add to this collection. I received directions to a site known as ‘Tattoocracked’. Rumor has it that it has been settled by dwarves coming from a more famous Climaxringed. Apparently the northerners want to reestablish contact with this tribe; if I bring back any local crafts, then all the better.

Entry 3
At last I did arrive at the site of ‘Tattoocracked’. Along the way I was almost bitten to death by wolves, almost froze to death in a snowstorm and was almost gutted by goblin bandits. But in spite of adversity, I managed to reach the settlement – and find only one dwarf with a mothbeaten beard.
Her name is Deduk and she claims to be a miner – what she’s mining on the surface, in a hailstorm, is beyond me – and apparently has a background working as a bookkeeper and broker in a different location. However, she holds no official position right now, and suggests I enter the ‘fortress’ proper.
She points me towards an outcropping with a tunnel leading downwards, to the supposed hallways and chambers of this place. Seems if I want to talk with the dwarves properly, I need to go pretty deep underground.
Wait, there’s a strange glimmer about this stone. Is this…?
Spoiler: ! (click to show/hide)
Retreat!
Salt! The mortal enemy of all snailkind! And a whole dwarfhill built out of it! What have I got myself into? Damn those dwarves, goblins, adventurers and all the riff-raff, they all want me dead so that they have some body to entomb; I’ve had enough – let them play their stupid games, Bolan is returning home now.

Entry 4
Except not, as was to be expected. My dear, concerned, sadistic nephews shamed me into looking for something anyways. Since traveling any further would be too perilous, we decided to scour the settlements we pass on our way back.

Entry 5
My misadventures continue; at one point, while following a winding path leading to a hilltop castle, I was caught in a landslide and a rock must’ve hit my head, as I found myself buried in gravel as the sun was setting already.

Later, I stopped by a wayside shrine to pray for some divine help. I admit I hadn’t been very devout in the past, but Seba wouldn’t hold it against me, would he?

Of course he bloody would.

Entry 6
Great success! While poking about a seemingly abandoned hamlet, I met a dangerous-looking goblin in a garish dress. He claimed to be an ‘overlord’ of those parts, and asked whether I had seen any of his ‘missing treasures’. His knife and a pouch made from the head-skin of some poor necromancer-made freak told me he had a very loose definition of a ‘missing treasure’.
‘Uh, yes, actually, yes – this!’ – I told him as I presented him the first item I could find in my sack.
‘And what is this?’ – he asked, somewhat bemused by the single bronze bolt I was holding.
‘Why, it’s Boardedbarb, a famous multi-purpose sharp implement! You couldn’t not have heard of it!’
The goblin was so stunned he not only bought my little tale, he actually thrust the position of his right-hand snail on me! And so I became a part of a two-person crime syndicate. Really, considering everything that’s happened so far, I still count it as a positive thing. I only hope my nephews don’t take too much inspiration.

Entry 7
Still little luck; I have spotted a black building near the river, it’s the last place I’ll be checking before returning home; I’ll just have a look around, and hopefully don’t get shanked.

This journal was found in the entry hall of Cradledmartyrs. It was lying in a puddle of congealed slime and ichor, next to a hollow skin of a snailman.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 03:15:11 pm by Yarlig »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 13, 2021, 11:16:36 pm »

Interesting adventure. Sorry for your (relative) early demise. RIP snail uncle. I feel those snail nephews will turn into menaces without a proper hand of discipline. Vampire necromancer werebeast snails anyone? Oh the horror!

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 14, 2021, 04:26:40 am »

Interesting adventure. Sorry for your (relative) early demise. RIP snail uncle. I feel those snail nephews will turn into menaces without a proper hand of discipline. Vampire necromancer werebeast snails anyone? Oh the horror!

This is actually a good idea' might come in handy; thanks!

Also' doing the name 'Quickpainted' some justice' I doodled Bolan this morning to the best of my ability (there is none); so' have a look here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 16, 2021, 03:52:19 am »

Question: Does the map at the start of the thread only contain player-made locations or should there be added places players visited? If the latter, I'd request adding Dothanest to the map, it's The Creamy Confederacy's capital.

I only add constructed sites to the maps for now. Some parts of the map are getting quite crowded already without adding other content.
In any case I highly encourage others to include their own maps from their travels, like Eric did during his last turn. It can really help to put an adventure in context for people that are not very familiar with all the locations.

Also, I loved your latest adventurer Yarlig, and the artwork is great! sadly the snail man did not get far. I was wondering if you'd have time to finish the stories of your earlier adventurers?  I think I remember you suggested earlier in a PM that it could be a task for the historians guild, but I do enjoy your writing, and would look forward to a proper end to those stories.

I have updated the relevant posts. It is Glloyd's turn now. As a general question for everybody; let me know if you want to be added for another turn, I'm not sure if the current list is up to date.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 16, 2021, 05:40:34 am »

I have updated the relevant posts. It is Glloyd's turn now. As a general question for everybody; let me know if you want to be added for another turn, I'm not sure if the current list is up to date.
Yes, add me please. I see you added my submission to the list, thanks. I've looked through the saves and it looks like it's still there, so that's good news so far. I hadn't even brought it in a container, so I guess it's an unbugged one. I still don't know what the hells it was doing in the middle of Omon Obin's capital's keep like some offering to Armok. Ah well.

I only add constructed sites to the maps for now. Some parts of the map are getting quite crowded already without adding other content.
In any case I highly encourage others to include their own maps from their travels, like Eric did during his last turn. It can really help to put an adventure in context for people that are not very familiar with all the locations.
So, make my own, huh? I don't think I'd have the patience to retrieve my steps. I'd ironically have more patience in putting the capitals and important cities on a map. Has this been done in this thread?

I haven't yet read anything passed page 30 in terms of adventure. I really need to make time for it sometime.

How's this for a rough draft? https://i.imgur.com/KUfsYxX.png

Now that I think about it, it'd make interesting lore. Everyone getting a different map with different places they deem "important". It's unfeasible for everyone to make their own map, of course (even if it took me only 2-3 hours to make the above), but even as I look, the differences between my map and yours are so distinct you'd think we mapped different worlds which only have in common the geography.

Anyone know where a library can be found in Orid Xem? I've heard talk about it and I've seen people swiping books, but except some that make their way to The Museum, most are scattered across the world.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:24:19 am by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 16, 2021, 08:21:51 am »

You're missing my last submission, which was the ash and shell of Nithari Clashedseduce the Hideous. That was the forgotten beast that nearly wiped out the Staff of Kissing when it destroyed their original mountainhome.

Also, I'm on a break right now, but my schedule is probably going to get hectic again in a couple weeks. Unless the next few turns go really fast, you can bump me to the back of the list.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 17, 2021, 07:38:49 am »

Question: Does the map at the start of the thread only contain player-made locations or should there be added places players visited? If the latter, I'd request adding Dothanest to the map, it's The Creamy Confederacy's capital.

Also, I loved your latest adventurer Yarlig, and the artwork is great! sadly the snail man did not get far. I was wondering if you'd have time to finish the stories of your earlier adventurers?  I think I remember you suggested earlier in a PM that it could be a task for the historians guild, but I do enjoy your writing, and would look forward to a proper end to those stories.

Ha' thanks a lot; I do plan on finishing my stories' but I'll be very busy until at least mid-june' and after that there's still no certainty; I do have a rough idea of what I want to write though' so after I'm done with RL it'll likely be no hassle.
Also I might as well take another turn' though again' I'm not sure when I'll be able to actually play it.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 17, 2021, 05:27:04 pm »

Perfect timing to start my turn. I have the save, and I'll probably post my first turn later tonight.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 20, 2021, 02:57:39 pm »

The Journal of Glloyd Ancientborn the Round

Spring, 770:

It has been a little over 20 years since I last wrote about Iden Bloodinked, the bandit king of the north.
Such a long time, yet it seemed to vanish in an instant. While the world has seen darkness in the past,
things seem to be taking a turn for the better, at least for now. Indeed, word from the north indicates
that the massive armies of beasts left over from the necromancer wars have seemingly vanished, which
can only be a good thing.

Back to the point at hand, Iden Bloodinked. I bring that name up again because an adventurer from the
north passed through the Shelter carrying an intriguing artifact. Namely, a journal that allegedly
belonged to Iden Bloodinked himself. The journal itself was badly burnt and falling apart with age and
wear, but I have included what I could recover below:

The surviving journal of Iden Bloodinked

Such is the tale of Iden that I was able to draw from his journal. Much of it lines up with my own
observations, although the circumstances of his death have become more clear. Apparently, he did die
in Incenseorder, after striking down the demon lord of the city in battle. However, the adventurer
reported to me that he had visited the site where Iden had died, and had been unable to find a corpse
matching Iden’s description. A curious situation indeed. If Iden did in fact die at Incenseorder, where did
his body end up?

Somewhere in the north of Orid Xem…

The creature that once was Iden Bloodinked awoke in a field, soaked by the rain and drenched in mud.
Thunder boomed in the distance as he pulled himself up and looked around. He did not know where he
was or how he had arrived at that location. All he knew is that he had a burning desire for revenge on all
those responsible for his current condition…

OOC: Sorry for the delay on that, I had some computer issues. Nonetheless, I've gotten going and will post more soon. I've posted my final update from my last turn too, it is linked above.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:59:41 pm by Glloyd »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 25, 2021, 03:45:53 am »

I'm thrilled to see that the Museum is still going strong after nearly a decade since the inception of its original incarnation! Lots to catch up on here, but I'd like to sign up for a turn once again.

In addition, Bralbaard, might I suggest adding links to the previous games in the first post of this thread?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 25, 2021, 05:03:42 am »

You uh still there Glloyd?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 25, 2021, 06:56:10 am »

I'm thrilled to see that the Museum is still going strong after nearly a decade since the inception of its original incarnation! Lots to catch up on here, but I'd like to sign up for a turn once again.

In addition, Bralbaard, might I suggest adding links to the previous games in the first post of this thread?
I had the same reaction on its longevity and Bralbaard's maintenance of it when I found it again a few months go.

Links:
* The Museum I (v. 0.34.11)
* The Museum II (v. 0.40.24)

You uh still there Glloyd?
I second that. It's been almost two weeks from Yarlig's turn.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 263