Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409578 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2021, 01:06:26 pm »

Sorry! I've had a lot of issues finishing it, including a big crash that lost me a couple hours progress (don't be dumb like me, save early and often. Also don't try to (A)ttack a massive group of enemies or the game will hang). It has been a week now since I picked it up, so I'm trying to finish up playing and get to the Museum right now. I will upload the save later today.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 26, 2021, 01:50:12 pm »

I'm thrilled to see that the Museum is still going strong after nearly a decade since the inception of its original incarnation! Lots to catch up on here, but I'd like to sign up for a turn once again.

In addition, Bralbaard, might I suggest adding links to the previous games in the first post of this thread?
I had the same reaction on its longevity and Bralbaard's maintenance of it when I found it again a few months go.

Links:
* The Museum I (v. 0.34.11)
* The Museum II (v. 0.40.24)

You uh still there Glloyd?
I second that. It's been almost two weeks from Yarlig's turn.

I've added the links and updated the turn list.
I was up next but won't have time right now, so I've moved myself down the order.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 26, 2021, 02:44:27 pm »

Save is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15545

I will post my journal here later this week, along with my museum submission. Sorry for being late by a couple days! Between my computer issues and DF being DF, it was an extremely frustrating turn, with a lot of progress undone by crashes and bluescreens (again, if you see a whole horde of goblins clown-carring it in a meadhall, save before you (A)ttack). But I'm done with my previous characters now, and I would like to make a fort at some point, so I'm tentatively signing up for one more turn. Good luck TheFlame52!

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 27, 2021, 05:29:50 am »

I've added the links and updated the turn list.
I was up next but won't have time right now, so I've moved myself down the order.
Uh, mate, you forgot to add me on the turn list.

Save is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15545

I will post my journal here later this week, along with my museum submission. Sorry for being late by a couple days! Between my computer issues and DF being DF, it was an extremely frustrating turn, with a lot of progress undone by crashes and bluescreens (again, if you see a whole horde of goblins clown-carring it in a meadhall, save before you (A)ttack). But I'm done with my previous characters now, and I would like to make a fort at some point, so I'm tentatively signing up for one more turn. Good luck TheFlame52!
Glad you made it. Did you unretire your old char from the shelter? Because that might be the reason for the crashes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:31:25 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 27, 2021, 01:28:58 pm »

I did unretire from the shelter and he's no longer there. I did experience the slowdown at the shelter, but no crashes there. All my crashes this time were related to too many entities being in the same place at once.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 27, 2021, 05:10:43 pm »

I guess my turn has come again, but now I have even less time than before. It would probably be best if you removed me from the list entirely.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 27, 2021, 05:21:50 pm »

Going to have to request that I be bumped down one or two places on the turn list; got summative university exams for the next two weeks.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 27, 2021, 05:41:28 pm »

I can potentially do a very quick turn in the next few days.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 28, 2021, 12:46:47 am »

Well if Flame is skipping, it would fall to you next nogoodnames. Seems like it's a very busy time for everyone right now though.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 29, 2021, 12:33:57 am »

Thoughts of Arcturus Cinderfang, Black Bear Man

It has been over a year since my ill-fated adventure. Judging by the chill air, it must be early or mid winter. For many months I have been a captive of the accursed elves. But finally, I have won my freedom. I am safe for now, there is time to collect my thoughts.

After meeting with the law giver, Ledir, I was at a loss for what to do. My quest had proven futile, there was no impending invasion of my home. Ledir, perhaps noting my zeal in defending the realm, chose to tell me the story of another warrior. She was named Sana Sculptedmirth, and she led the charge against the elves in the final days before the current ceasefire. Alas, she was just one woman, and was captured far north in the forest retreat of Sharkcontained. That was many years ago, but Ledir told me there was reason to believe she was still alive, held captive by the elves. I had found my new purpose.

Ithra and I set off once again, following the same route Sana took. Eventually, we reached the great northern forests of the elves. But I fear we made the same mistake as Sana. The twisting woods were strange, almost seemingly possessed of malevolent intelligence. In the dark of the forest floor we were ambushed. There were a dozen of them. Elves, goblins and some of the foul creatures made by the conquering necromancers for their armies. Ithra and I were stripped of our weapons, separated, and taken prisoner.

They questioned me extensively, then put me to work harvesting their fruit trees. I was under heavy guard at first, but soon they grew less wary. Still, I could not hope to escape those woods alone and unarmed, so I bided my time. Eventually the chance for escape presented itself. The elves wanted to know how the Creamy Confederacy was expanding in the south. Since I had been there recently, they saw me as the perfect guide for their spies. The fools were actually starting to trust me. I was taken with a small party of elf scouts to observe some of the recently reclaimed confederate territory. Once we had reached familiar land, far from any elven forces, I made my move. Overpowering my keepers was pathetically easy. They had even returned my old weapons in case we ran into trouble on the road. I slew them in the night without hesitation.

I must rescue Ithra and reclaim my tarnished honour. In time, the entire elven nation will pay the price for this indignity.

For now, I find myself in the small hamlet of Snarledgrasping, the latest target of elven reconnaissance. The scouts told me it had been claimed by a small group from the confederacies a few months ago. The stone huts surrounding the village square are sturdy and quite intact, but there are no signs of occupancy. The settlers must be based out of the mead hall. I spot a small shrine on my way there. Luck has not been on my side before, but I roll the die. A decent result.

I find the mead hall a short distance from the town. I enter and see several recently slain goblins. Former residents? There are four living people here. Two humans, a goblin and… a naked elf.

I question them, but it is clear that they are an isolated group and know little beyond local events. The elf claims to be unaffiliated. He refuses to elaborate when pressed. His attitude may back him up…

…but with the Squeezing Fords scouting so far south, I can’t take chances. Someone told them about this settlement. I rile him up, get him to follow me outside. The others don’t seem to care. He puts up more of a fight than expected, but the result is inevitable.

I leave without wasting any more time. I must reach Growlsuppers and report back to Ledir.

The day passes quickly as I journey north. Soon I reach the seat of the confederacies, but something is wrong. There are corpses littering the streets. I can almost recognize them through the gore. A human runs past, babbling about an insurrection.

I enter the inner walls. More corpses. I approach the keep and find him, Ledir, dead.

Much must have happened in my absence. I enter the keep. The occupants are evasive when I try to ask what happened. I meet Ledir’s son, the new Law Giver. He is patient with me, but strained. Whatever political webs have been woven here, I cannot help in untangling them.

I build a funeral pyre for Ledir and depart. My goal still lies to the north. I must find Ithra. Perhaps when this is over, I can help re-establish the order we have lost since my capture.

- Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 29, 2021, 07:29:09 am »

Thoughts of Arcturus Cinderfang, Black Bear Man

I enter the inner walls. More corpses. I approach the keep and find him, Ledir, dead.

https://i.imgur.com/IK6jSiC.png

Heh. I actually knew the filthy goblin leader had been murdered from Legends Viewer. It's just a shame the filthy goblin son took his place.

Good riddance to Ledir. Quogubpesor was at peace before he put his filthy paws on the throne, now it's at war with almost everyone, including The Walled Dye and the elves. Cilko, his son, is an active member of The Knowing Deceiver, just like Ledir was. Have fun with that.

Also his mother's official job is being drunk. That's goblins for you.

https://i.imgur.com/FePwMNB.png
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 08:04:27 am by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 30, 2021, 12:23:36 am »

Thoughts of Arcturus Cinderfang, Day 2

I stop by a local monastery. Seba, the goddess of labor is honoured here, and the labors I must undertake are many. I seek her guidance, but once again it seems I am ill-favoured. I make an offering of a gold coin and leave.

I stop for a drink at a stream and notice an odd sight. Two deer perched on a tree. An opportunity to replenish my supplies. I hack at the tree with my axe, only to realize my folly. A misjudged cut, and the whole thing, tree, deer, and all, tumbles on top of me. My injuries aren’t life-threatening but will leave scars. Another sign of the gods’ displeasure. I limp away, defeated.

I continue on until reaching a city. The few people on the streets stay focused on their own business as I pass. The keep appears abandoned. I nurse my wounds and rest there for the night.

Day 3

I continue north, following old confederacy settlements. The lands here are sparsely populated. I reach an abandoned castle, it’s sole occupant brutally slain. Judging by the state of decay, it happened not too long ago. I carve a quick memorial to him and leave. This frontier is dangerous, I must be wary.

I pass a cave jutting out of black sands. A human skeleton warns of danger, but it appears to be empty. Regardless, I will find somewhere else to rest for the night.

I next come across a strange structure, ancient pillars reaching to the sky. Many skeletons cluster around their bases. What is this place, a ruined temple for some bloodthirsty god? I dare not tarry long here.

A short distance away I find another odd sight, a couple living goblins amidst a number of their dead fellows and the butchered hide of some great beast.

The goblins are fearful at my approach, but don’t immediately reach for their weapons. They confess to being cowards, having fled their home only to find their companions slain anyway. I leave them to their misery and plot a route around the goblin ruins.

I finally spot a nearby hamlet of human design. Perhaps this place will be safe enough to spend the night. I enter town. It seems abandoned, but I hear noises coming from within a house. I open the door and find a human tending to a rotting, yet still animate goblin. Necromancy!

The necromancer’s pet staggers and lunges at me. I effortlessly dismember it, but the necromancer uses his foul magic to command the severed limbs against me! Rumour claims that one cannot perform sorcery without hands. I test this, but the necromancer just reanimates his own hands which continue to fight. The matter is, however, resolved when he bleeds out.

I step outside. The once empty streets now swarm with shambling goblin corpses. I easily outpace them and find the town’s mead hall. I barricade the doors to wait out the night. The undead give up and leave me in peace.

Day 4

I leave this cursed village. Had I the time, I would purge the undead and reclaim this place for the confederacies. But I need top make haste to the north, before the elves wonder what became of their scouts.

I approach another large human town. Nearby, I run into a hostile goblin patrol. I easily dispatch them. Were they part of an occupying force? I move in to investigate.

The town, like many others, is mostly abandoned. However, within an empty and long-dry tavern I find one goblin who is not hostile. He introduces himself as Cameda Pricemaroon, a traveler and seeker of adventure. He tells me that a small gang of goblins rules this place, but he is not with them. I tell him some of my story, and he asks to join me. I have been moving quickly alone, but it may be helpful to travel with someone who knows the area. I agree but will keep a close eye on him.

We head to the keep and find the only other living resident of this town, the captain of that goblin gang. At first he answers my questions, but suddenly grows hostile and draws an ornate gemstone knife. I effortlessly disarm and grapple him. This is an opportunity to test Cameda’s loyalty. With little hesitation, he draws his sword and slays the helpless goblin. I reward him with one of my treasures, a sword of pristine dwarven steel.

Day 5

Together we continue northward. We stop at a small fort in the wilderness. The mercenary company inside is welcoming. They have a small shrine, and Cameda gets a shock when the thin ice on the reflecting pool breaks under his weight. He pulls himself out with no harm done.

Near the fort we encounter a small force of humans and goblins. The fort commander warned of growing tensions, could these be enemy scouts. It matters little, they become hostile as soon as they see us. I weave between the ranks. They are well equipped but ill experienced and are easily disabled. Cameda earns some experience and armour, and I pick up a halberd to replace my goblin-made axe.

We reach another town as dusk falls. Like most towns in these lands, it is barely populated save for some goblins living in the keep. I learn that the Empire of Peaks rules here. We spend some time swapping stories and providing entertainment. I trade a dwarven toy axe for an amazingly beautiful knife gently hewn from a solid star ruby. The residents graciously offer shelter for the night.

- Random human lord

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 30, 2021, 12:56:56 pm »

Good to see Arcturus was able to break free from his imprisonment!

I have updated the turn list.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 31, 2021, 11:18:35 pm »

Thoughts of Arcturus Cinderfang, Day 6

I am shocked awake by the sounds of shouting. The keep, so peaceful last night, erupts into inexplicable violence.

This doesn’t concern us, but Cameda gets tangled in the fighting. I go for the door, but one of the assailants blocks my path. I see now that these are well-armed warriors, some even equipped with dwarven steel. A squad of enemy infiltrators? Assassins? Whatever the case, we have no choice but to assist our hosts.

With out aid, the assailants, which I heard called “Sacred Gristles” by some, were swiftly dispatched. We seemed to have few defenders on our side with proper equipment, save for a lone goblin wielding a pike of dwarven steel. He is evasive when I try to talk to him. Cameda calls him a criminal but won’t elaborate on what he means.

This place is strange, and it is time to leave it to its strangeness. We depart Councilenjoyed. Soon we will reach the mountains, and our true journey will begin.

We stop at the monastery of Glistensilvers, the last bastion of civilization before we cross the Perfect Horns. Dedicated to the goddess of justice it is held as an outpost by soldiers of the Empire of Peaks. So far, the omens have been against my path. I make an offering to Ciko Trustfortresses and pray for guidance. Her answer solidifies my resolve.

We camp at the base of the mountains. Soon we will reach my home. I don’t know quite how I feel about that.

Day 7

We set off at dawn. By midmorning, we come down from the mountains and reach the blasted wastes beyond. Home again.

We reach the Brutal Gloom. On arrival I spot two of the elf prisoners I had met a year earlier, unguarded. Has something happened? They see us and try to run, but we cut them down.

I find the cave entrance and tell Cameda to stand guard outside. It’s been so long, I’ve almost forgotten our secret way, but I eventually reach the trap halls of the ancient kobolds. I hesitate. Was it really simple ignorance that made my family send me, or did they conspire to trick me? What can I say when I see them? No, my quest is unfinished. I cannot meet them again like this.

As I go to leave, I spot a fine silver spear within one of the traps. Still glistening with venom, it is sure to be lethal to any creature that breathes. I pry it from its ancient mechanism. I vow, to the guardian spirits of the kobold architects, that I will not return here until this spear has tasted the blood of elven royalty.

Day 8

After a night in the wastes, we cross them with little issue. The goblins do not approach. Making our way north, we stumble into a small hole. I go to investigate and am confronted by a beast crunching on the bones of a dead goblin.

Cameda screams and flees in terror, but I hold fast. The monster is quick, but I soon get the better of it. I cleave off its head and leave it outside for any others of its kind. Its hand I take as a trophy.

Day 9

We make haste to the far north, where I know from my imprisonment to be the heart of elven civilization. I don’t know if they took Ithra there, but I will soon find out. The gods bestow a boon upon our mission. Loose chunks of obsidian, perfect for crafting! This halberd has served me well, but I miss the simple beauty of a self-made axe.

Day 10

We reach the ancient groves which mark the elven homeland. My time spent imprisoned has given me a sense of how these elves work, how they live. There will be no ambush this time. We find our way into a populated clump of trees. I make my presence known by chopping one of them down. The local elves are too stunned to even try and stop me. I begin interrogating them. I must know where their dread queen is hiding.

Useless. If any of these elves know, they refuse to say. I am about to leave, when I catch sight of something that freezes me in place. Another bear person, garbed in elven rags! A prisoner here? I explain who we are and our mission. But they refuse to see reason! They’ve been indoctrinated by elven lies!

Is this what my family sent me away to learn? This injustice will not stand! I will free my kin, even if they are blind to their bondage. No mercy for these elven slavers!

- Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 02, 2021, 07:07:45 am »

Thoughts of Arcturus Cinderfang, Day 6

https://i.imgur.com/vNCEoNw.png

Ominous.

Is this what my family sent me away to learn? This injustice will not stand! I will free my kin, even if they are blind to their bondage. No mercy for these elven slavers!

Well that's an interesting cliffhanger.

Good to see Arcturus was able to break free from his imprisonment!

I have updated the turn list.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 263