Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409836 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #990 on: July 18, 2021, 05:23:46 am »

Alright, here's the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15602
You killed Nethrez! In fortress mode no less!

Well, he did settle in Dark Pits. He should have expected something like this.

Nothing else seems to have changed. Same rulers for Omon Obin, Adilatír, Quogubpesor, Nomal Alis, the living adventurers I checked seem to be doing the same thing (i.e. nothing) since last turn. Uja is inactive and so are Calovi, Nirmek, etc.

New Dur Leru Law-Giver since 790, but that's unlikely to effect anything.

Nish Singetomb became Baroness of Adilatír in 775, not sure if this was mentioned before. Dreamypuzzled the Eternal-Soul is fighting a goblin on goblin war, she should be careful not to go the way of Nethrez.

No new wars since 784. Surprisingly quiet 7 years.

This stood out to me (and I realize how old this entry is):

Humans "reclaiming" dwarf fortresses. I wonder what Adilatír thinks about this... at least they're keeping them from goblin claws.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:11:23 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 18, 2021, 10:33:18 am »

Hey there. My turn came around at some point during my long period of inactivity due to a number of reasons. Doesn't make it any better, sorry for letting it drag on for that much longer!

Regardless, I'll ask, is it alright to be placed at the bottom of the list again? I will do everything in my effort to make sure I play my turn this time around. If not, I'll happily watch on anyhow. The original Museum and II was what got me into Bay12 to begin with. Haha.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:38:57 am by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 18, 2021, 01:47:01 pm »

Alright, here's the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15602
You killed Nethrez! In fortress mode no less!

Well, he did settle in Dark Pits. He should have expected something like this.
Huh, I expected he'd get killed quickly soon after he was out of my control due to being a wrestling and fistfighting-focused adventurer, but I didn't think it'd be *that* quick. Ah well.

Also, since I've noticed that I'm listed as founding Dyezeal on the main page - BluarianKnight founded that place, as I briefly poked around there as Nethrez.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 18, 2021, 02:00:45 pm »

Actually' we've also had another adventurer die of old age - Zasit Brasshelped (DwarvenLord)' died in 792 at Treatyseed' aged 114. He's been enjoying his status as a baron of The Walled Dye for the past forty-something turns (!)' or 85 in-game years' doing absolutely nothing. Truly a fine example of dwarven nobility.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 18, 2021, 03:42:30 pm »

Shit, was that the alligator man my dwarves killed in a raid? I sent a few out to the dark pits since they denied me caravans by sieging in early autumn three years in a row. It was all wildly successful off-site. On-site, lots of dwarves died. Like 30-40. One of my deadliest forts in recent years. Doesnt healp I was watching shit on youtube and left the game unpaused in the background.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 18, 2021, 04:31:47 pm »

I've updated the turn list and map.

Also, since I've noticed that I'm listed as founding Dyezeal on the main page - BluarianKnight founded that place, as I briefly poked around there as Nethrez.

Oops. I failed to spot that fortress after Bluarianknights turn. I have corrected it.

I've added Sealsabres to the map, and have also added a few camp sites I missed earlier, despite them being quite obvious. Northcamp, Jackaldens the Secretive Home of Disappearing and Mountaincrests the Last Shelter are now also on the map (not in the order they were founded)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:42:29 pm by Bralbaard »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 18, 2021, 04:39:54 pm »

I think I was added to the turn list by accident. I didn't ask for another one after the last turn and I don't have time right now. That means it's Lurker Z's turn.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 19, 2021, 04:52:43 pm »

Daaaaaang, I was almost afraid of that. Well, either this week or the next won't make much difference, because I'll be busy regardless. I'll play mostly over the weekend I guess, though I'll try to do so during the weekdays.

Thanks for the heads-up. Taking my turn up now I guess.

As I start my turn, I find out a bug: going into your meadhall announces your ascension to Lord, asks you to press enter... and does not recognize you pressing enter or any other key for that matter (except escape). Thankfully, it lets you retire, then return to adventuring with
Code: [Select]
set-timeskip-duration -hours 0 letting you return the next second... but it teleports you back to your starting house. Anyone else encounter the bug or know how to bypass it? (except not entering your own meadhall, which I'll do, but it's kinda sad).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:12:07 pm by Lurker Z »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 21, 2021, 06:08:34 pm »

As I start my turn, I find out a bug: going into your meadhall announces your ascension to Lord, asks you to press enter... and does not recognize you pressing enter or any other key for that matter (except escape).
Anyone else encounter the bug or know how to bypass it? (except not entering your own meadhall, which I'll do, but it's kinda sad).
I had a quick look into this' and it seems that the game decided to repeat the announcement many times over' making it seem like it had frozen. You should actually be able to visit the meadhall' but it would require a fair bit of button mashing.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 23, 2021, 05:06:05 pm »

Dead in ambush ("ambush"?) in Swordgleamed. No gob casualties, sadly.

Ah well, was a bad (luck) turn anyway, Uja turned invisible while I was fighting her, so couldn't finish her off. Also all my stored books disappeared between saves and/or fast-travel, so I just wanted to get to the museum and get it over it. Wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Gonna use the weekend for some attempted fortress(es).

Question for other turns: is it considered bad form to possess an already living historical person for adventure turns? (i.e. using unretire-anyone). I have... ideas. I don't plan to possess a lord or anything.

PS For anyone thinking of retrieving my corpse, I'd be grateful, but keep in mind it's (probably) a kill-zone there. Thillecit has 4k creatures - the FPS drop wasn't that bad in my zone, even if around 20 creatures were crowding to get a piece of me - so just hope all 4k don't come and attack you and kill the FPS/game/save. If you can't, it is what it is. I do distinctly remember going through Thillecit in previous runs without getting attacked with the same char, I think I even entered its mead hall, so I'm not sure what triggered this or what will trigger an attack in the future.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 06:52:05 am by Lurker Z »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 23, 2021, 05:42:10 pm »

If it's just some nobody, I don't have a problem with it.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2021, 11:22:34 am »

I am Lurker Onecbehal, and today, the 26th of Felsite of the year 794, is a very special day in my life. Today is the day I am free from this appropriately named Anguishrooted and go on my journey to finish what I started: to end Uja Kusutbepa and the threat she poses to the free peoples of Omon Obin and of Orid Xem. Petty of me, some would say, when there are much worse threats out there, that I am perfectly aware of. But this is something I must do. I have pondered greatly why I must do this, why I feel responsible. We lived in the same town, her and I, and we should be friends. We should be acquaintances. I should have been happy that she became Law-Giver of my own nation. Vampire or not, by the laws of nature, I should have tried to heal her as I did the old blood in her cabinet. But I did not. Why, one would ask. The answer is simple: her worship of Gopet the Putrid Cys. That's right, in the end, it's religion, it's not about her being a night creature, though that helped me stake my claim on her removal. I was cowardly in not slaying as soon as I exposed her, though that may have been a blessing in disguise: Gods know if her blood would have turned any more innocents. But my cause is right: we've had too many weak-blood Law-Givers and if that wasn't bad enough, since Isun Cilbanulce, otherwise revered to be of a Great House, all our Law-Givers had been worshipers of death and disease. This is unacceptable. I am proud of ending such a line of worshipers and setting things to some rights.

But how would I leave, some would ask. After all, I was exiled here since 771, over 23 years ago, seeing 2 more Law-Givers on the throne... the answer is as simple as is insane: the Omon Obin council, in its infinite wisdom (?!?!?!?!), has decided that my decision to send the amulet of our people to a museum ruled by a dwarven nation and founded by a goblin-ruled one was a wise decision (?!?!?!?!) and have also given me the title of Sage. Apparently, I am to make good relations with this sparse group of "adventurers of the Museum" in the hopes of averting more wars than with the goblins. Apparently, the horrors of the goblin massacres while we were in isolation have arrived to the ears of our illustrous leaders and they are understandably afraid.

It's great by me. I know what I have in mind to bring to the Museum: Uja's head.

But before that, I wake in the same room as the butcher Perom Manbaalu, the farmer Ñethu Zobshathedle and the planter Akkar Pasubthuslax. I feel I woke up from a strange dream and these people feel like strangers to me. I make small talk trying to reaquaint with them, but my mind is back on Señamatem, on the death of Kiros and Apup and the ascension of Sahthet. Of my house on that hill, of... everything. It is as if a foul magic has lifted from my eyes coming with this letter: knowing the incompetent Ulosothrans, this wouldn't even surprise me.

I take a walk through the town, talking to the people that I find, taking one last look at my meadhall. I have an ominous feeling that Dumat will not let me leave if I enter it, so I leave with new haste.

At night, I take refuge in Licomimap, where I find some interesting scrolls. Supposedly, some humans died of old age here, but I find nothing of the kind. I hope I do not blaspheme in doing this, but I suppose sharing with them with the world is better than letting them rot here. The black sand and ice are ominous here, but I have no choice but spend the night. While I may be overconfident in fighting a night creature, I carry a great load that I do not wish to leave on the ground to be forgotten or tediously re-taken until I reach Señamatem.

I see a beautiful clear diamond pedestal, but unfortunately I can't seem to move it. I'd love to bring it to a worthy place. Alas, to another comes the task.

I arrive at Thuslaxote the next day and find some more writings. Well, if the Gods left them for me...

Entry 2
I finally arrive at my true home on... Hematite 15?! I've lost an entirety of two weeks Gods-know-how. Well, I know what my first order of business is. Visit the meadhall and see who's there. Unfortunaly, I have to go to my old home and leave some things. Let's hope everything's still there...

Entry 3

Pages are missing from this journal, only a strange pictogram remains.

You read ahead...

Last entry
I get ambushed by goblins in Swordgleamed. Finally, the Gods smile upon me...

Epilogue

...At night, I take refuge in Licomimap, where I find some interesting scrolls...
...I see a beautiful clear diamond pedestal, but unfortunately I can't seem to move it...

Kikrost Drinkstaff looks with bewilderment, but then with greed at the parchment that has flown in his face, apparently given to him by the Gods themselves. He was planning an expedition regardless, this Licomimap may be the answer to his prayers...

OOC: Lurker's last line was by no means ironic and was written just as the ambush happened. I was overconfident in... everything I suppose, and got my char put down. Them's the breaks.

At least he died like he'd probably have wanted: trying to take as many goblins with him.

Well, I made my hole in the ground, nothing special.

Here's the save.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:05:47 pm by Lurker Z »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2021, 05:09:49 pm »

Very good story' shame it ended up being so brief. I'll download the save and hopefully get started tomorrow.

Also a question before I start: since we're allowed to have up to three playable peasants' and I have two surviving ones' would it be acceptable if I created a peasant adventurer' trained him up somewhat' then retired and had him join the party? Playing separately at first is mostly for narrative reasons.

Question for other turns: is it considered bad form to possess an already living historical person for adventure turns? (i.e. using unretire-anyone). I have... ideas. I don't plan to possess a lord or anything.
Concerning that' I think as long as the game remains stable' it's fine. Actually quite interested in what it might lead up to.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:27:29 pm by Yarlig »

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 27, 2021, 01:34:27 am »

Am I allowed to use DFHack to temporarily possess a companion? I have...
uh
ideas
that require me to be able to switch between adventurers (once (or twice, if you count switching back to the original one)), but I don't want to play peasant and I'm not allowed to start with party members unless I play peasant.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 27, 2021, 10:13:50 am »

Am I allowed to use DFHack to temporarily possess a companion? I have...
uh
ideas
that require me to be able to switch between adventurers (once (or twice, if you count switching back to the original one)), but I don't want to play peasant and I'm not allowed to start with party members unless I play peasant.
Pretty sure in previous turns people played companions in-game like their main char, if not necessarily in their after-action written report. Also pretty sure you can do this with vanilla DF.

I think the main condition for this game is to not lose your main char in the world (or to death) while gallivanting with their companions.

Ah, and since I remembered, Bralbaard, please add me to the turn list, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:22:51 am by Lurker Z »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 263