Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 261

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 392132 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1140 on: October 10, 2021, 03:49:25 pm »

The goblins make sense, most of them are from the elven civilization. You know, the elven civ who unashamadely has 500 elves and 5000 goblins. I should research more thoroughly and see where all these goblins decided to join Ribiromimi. They also have necromancer experiments as citizens, but that makes a little more sense as they were probably left behind when Mishthemdeduk / The Scholarly Manors / Oddom's necromancer group abandoned most of its holdings.

The roc and dingo thing makes sense too, since it appears elven names and animal names overlap. Or the elves could have named the roc, who knows.

Uh... What the hell, elves?

Spoiler: Abductions (click to show/hide)

This isn't a random group, this is the Capital's ruling group. Since when do elven civs just randomly abduct creatures for whatever reason?

So I've narrowed it at the lowest year to The Stable Sect where a goblin joined in the year 203. I propose the hypothesis that goblins infiltrated through religious groups, abductions and invasions (elves tend to love imprisoning goblins instead of killing them for some reason). Why the elves would go out of their way to integrate the vile creatures I have no idea. Maybe to use as immortal cannon fodder?

So here's a good question. Why is the opposite not true? Why are there no elf citizens (that I can find) in other civilizations? Why are there no dwarf citizens either?

Do humans and goblins have special tags that let them join any civilization or is it just a weird coincidence specifically to this world?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:44:37 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 10, 2021, 06:19:07 pm »

So, um, I think I fixed the adventurer race selection bug (kind of) by using the Outsider token...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Playable kobolds!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 10, 2021, 06:20:50 pm »

Why are there no elf citizens (that I can find) in other civilizations?

At character selection, you can choose an Elf from Mong Uthros, a human civ. They will have human naming conventions. So I would assume there must be a population of elves within that human civ?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 10, 2021, 07:37:49 pm »

Could it be? Can the 50ish Kobolds left in Orid Xem make a come back?!
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: October 11, 2021, 09:38:52 am »

At character selection, you can choose an Elf from Mong Uthros, a human civ. They will have human naming conventions. So I would assume there must be a population of elves within that human civ?
It might be that if even one creature of a race joins a civ, that civ will have that race playable. Might explain why Charcoal Brutes are playable.

I've been thinking more of tracking down when goblins became a thing to Ribiromimi and a way to do that would be from wars. Legends Viewer displays all the types of creatures in a battle and everyone that existed in the town will be displayed. It's excellent for population census, though erratic depending on the time and place of battles.

Could it be? Can the 50ish Kobolds left in Orid Xem make a come back?!
Aaah, good point, there are only 4 named living kobolds, but there may be more "unnamed"/undiscovered in the world (that hopefully the next adventurers won't kill like it happened before).

Bringing races back from extinction sounds awesome. Can't wait to see how these new developments influence the future.

Legends Viewer says there are 40 existing kobolds at this time.

Update on the hunt for when goblins joined Ribiromimi:

Orid Xem gives you something new every day!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:11:07 pm by Lurker Z »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: October 13, 2021, 04:32:00 pm »

I have basically finished my write-up, its been a struggle though. I'll post it tonight once I find my imgur password and can upload the few pics I took.

Here we go!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:25:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: October 14, 2021, 04:54:25 am »

Great story Eric. I’ve never heard of elves with gold armour before!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: October 15, 2021, 04:06:06 pm »

Save is up: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15702

My submission(s) is/are seventy-eight demon carcasses, stacked into a pile on a birchen pedestal in the left corner of the Museum’s upper floor. There should also be a new camp on the map, though you might have to do something unusual to actually get to it. As usual, I would like to be signed up for another turn.

The raws have been updated to make both dwarves and kobolds playable as outsiders; it will be interesting to see how people run with this over the next few turns (and how [UTTERANCES] might interact with the civilized races).

In the interest of full disclosure: Irthu and company were briefly brought out of retirement to kill a bunch of demons wandering around Ironwards and its surrounding map tiles. I will admit to being loathe to do this due to the “death [or retirement] of your adventurer is the end” rule, but Ironwards was extremely difficult to approach or leave without being forced into an ambush against them and all of the demons ambushing were pretty much unbeatable1, which could have caused severe problems for future adventurers.

With that out of the way: good luck with your turn, Kesperan! I’m looking forward to seeing what you come out with for this turn.

1: As in, “Literally all my past adventurers (except Irthu and company) working together in a party got TPK’d by them. Four times.” It wasn’t even the fun kind of death - just unavoidable web or fireball-spam followed by them getting their heads kicked into mulch by a single demon as they sat there paralysed, without ever landing a single hit.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 04:09:34 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 15, 2021, 05:13:03 pm »

The museum is just a giant pile of bones and corpses.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 15, 2021, 06:04:47 pm »

Basically, yes. It's also got a bunch of books strewn about the place because of that damn monkey!

On the subject of kobolds, you can add can_speak as well and then they can actually talk. Keeping utterances they'll just have utterance derived first names, but that does let you speak and have last names and titles. I briefly considered making a kobold adventurer at the start of my turn, too.

Also, I encountered those demons around Ironworks too while retracing my steps (not in my actual adventure)

Oh hey, I remember in the first museum there was a kobold swordswoman in the basement of a keep people butchered and abused multiple times because of that bug that caused the game to re-generate the same individual from seed over and over again to fill non-historical figure positions. Imagine her hellish existence, like something out of Dark Souls. Go reclaim her soul again, get stabbed again. Forever.

Which reminds me, while I was trawling legends mode, right around the entry for lonelythrall, i found some animals that had been in a player fort, and died of old age two different times each, no entries about them being resurrected or raised as zombies, just dying of old age twice years apart. I don't know how thats technically possible in the game, but it happened.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:18:14 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 15, 2021, 08:51:30 pm »

Oh hey, I remember in the first museum there was a kobold swordswoman in the basement of a keep people butchered and abused multiple times because of that bug that caused the game to re-generate the same individual from seed over and over again to fill non-historical figure positions. Imagine her hellish existence, like something out of Dark Souls. Go reclaim her soul again, get stabbed again. Forever.

The Abyss watcher Kobold
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: October 15, 2021, 09:36:15 pm »

Which reminds me, while I was trawling legends mode, right around the entry for lonelythrall, i found some animals that had been in a player fort, and died of old age two different times each, no entries about them being resurrected or raised as zombies, just dying of old age twice years apart. I don't know how thats technically possible in the game, but it happened.
It's also true for civilized characters. I remember there was even a King (though I forgot of where) that suffered this. My suspicion is that this happened when Bralbaard reset the chunks where the bugged/corrupted fortress sites were.

Edit: Found him, Etur Tinöthmeng, 27th monarch of Adilatir, Bëmbul's predecessor.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you come out with for this turn.
And I'm looking forward to your turn's story.

The museum is just a giant pile of bones and corpses.
Not just. It does contain some nice historical artifact weapons and jewelry.

I'd make a wiki article about all the named items/artifact the Museum contains, but I feel that'd be a lot of work and I'm not feeling up to it. I think the work Bralbaard put into the main page submission post serves well as the important highlights in the Museum. Worst than anything else, it'd have to be constantly updated. I barely update the adventurer and player fortress lists every 10 turns or so.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:13:57 am by Lurker Z »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: October 15, 2021, 09:42:42 pm »

I will admit to being loathe to do this due to the “death [or retirement] of your adventurer is the end” rule
I don't remember such a rule.

The first page thread says
adventurers that survive can be retired at the museum or elsewhere.
It doesn't says they must. In fact, further down it says
-Do not kill retired adventurers on purpose. Sometimes accidents can't be avoided, but people may wish those adventurers if they play a second turn.
Now, it's kinda vague, but I always interpreted it as "people may wish to unretire those adventurers to play as them again". Bralbaard, confirm or deny, please and thank you.

Edit: Sorry for double-post. I was sure I was editing the first post.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:45:12 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 16, 2021, 02:24:26 am »

I will admit to being loathe to do this due to the “death [or retirement] of your adventurer is the end” rule
I don't remember such a rule.

The first page thread says
adventurers that survive can be retired at the museum or elsewhere.
It doesn't says they must. In fact, further down it says
-Do not kill retired adventurers on purpose. Sometimes accidents can't be avoided, but people may wish those adventurers if they play a second turn.
Now, it's kinda vague, but I always interpreted it as "people may wish to unretire those adventurers to play as them again". Bralbaard, confirm or deny, please and thank you.

Edit: Sorry for double-post. I was sure I was editing the first post.

It's fine to retire your adventurer and continue playing him during your next turn. What QD probably means is that he used a party of other/old adventurers to clear out a part of the map/savescum while he was actually playing with a new, fresh adventurer. That is certainly iffy, and to be avoided in the future, but we'll continue with the current save.
There is nothing wrong with having some dangerous and challenging areas on the map that can not be beaten by a starting adventurer, I can add some warnings to site descriptions, if needed.

I'm away from the computer for a few days, I'll update the museum submissions and maps later. Awesome set of gold armor, by the way. I did not know that was possible.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:31:43 am by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: October 16, 2021, 04:22:40 am »

I’ve got the save and will try to make a start today.

Wish me luck!
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 261