Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409455 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1230 on: November 07, 2021, 10:17:04 pm »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15732

Well, here's the save. I almost wanted to scrape everything and just skip my turn, but I think Bomrek deserved his chance at adventuring, even if it didn't end well (no goblins).

Could I ask people NOT to pick up the body if they find him? Thanks. I have a first part of the story written, I'll try to post the next few days.

Ah, and put me in for another turn, I guess. Hopefully it'll be better next time.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 08, 2021, 02:51:28 am »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15732

Well, here's the save. I almost wanted to scrape everything and just skip my turn, but I think Bomrek deserved his chance at adventuring, even if it didn't end well (no goblins).

Could I ask people NOT to pick up the body if they find him? Thanks. I have a first part of the story written, I'll try to post the next few days.

Ah, and put me in for another turn, I guess. Hopefully it'll be better next time.

OK, I've got the save. I've also updated the map with Newworld and Ancientknowledge.
I have a busy week coming up, but I'll try to get some play time in..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 03:49:18 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 08, 2021, 10:22:41 am »

Part 1

They call me many things. They call me Bomrek Otadonul. They call me Handmirrored, though I know not why. Perhaps it was our... creator's naming conventions, though from what we could rummage from her papers, it seems this is the naming conventions of this world, Orid Xem. But I digress. They call me soldier of night or Soldier of Night, depending on the scribe. They call me night creature. They call me necromancer experiment. They call me a small scaly humanoid with thin wings of stretched skin, charcoal blocky close-set scales. They call me outcast.
But recently, me and others have found a name for our situation. I don't know exactly when, for time runs differently for a night creature born centuries ago, but it did happen.
I call myself free.
Certainly, we know why we were created. For our dark mistress, Cog Omristducim, to call upon us when she needs us. It seems that didn't work when the adventurer [Moldath Mournsaints] came for her headless body, for she had already been grievously injured by another of those adventurers, Th4dwarfy1. It is even possible that our tower was ransacked by yet more of them. How would we know? We are "outcasts", thrown outside the walls to never come other than for the good of our creator, now ended and butchered herself, as some of my brethren observed with their own eyes.
But the coming of the adventurers has revealed something else to us as well. They were both dwarves, you see. And after rummaging through Cog's writings, I came to a startling conclusion.
I may be a dwarf too.
We are not of one mind here. Some of us have gained memories that we never had and feel part of The Matched Hame. Others feel part of The Creamy Confederacy. Since we were created here, we can only speculate if we are our old bodies changed by Cog, or new bodies inhabited by ancient souls of these civilizations.
Regardless, I was chosen to head into the surroundings, map them and claim what I can and what I will. A very open suggestion. It also includes that I may make contact with other dwarven civilizations, for we know they exist, in our efforts of rebuilding our civilization.
I hope they chose well. I am the 499th recorded named "Soldier of Night", while Urdim was the 500th, but was passed over for unknown reasons. If I fail, it is up to her and others to take up the mantle. It does not diminish the look of scorn in her eyes as she watches me go.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 08, 2021, 11:33:47 am »

Sorry for butchering your master, Bomrek.

As an aside is there a way to work out what size necromancer experiments are for gear purposes?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 08, 2021, 12:04:28 pm »

Part 2
I walk through the desolated lands, as expected. I find a fort, with bones and trinkets thrown around. Ominous. I take one trinket and see the name Èrith Whippedumbral on it. Is it a famous person? There's a whole stack of them, but I have no means to carry it but my arm. It's fine, I move on.

I see the crumbled sites of my former people. I'm both gladdened to lay eyes on them and saddened, but I move on.

I finally arrive at Palacework. It is both beautiful and sad. It's like the place I lived all my life, as if it was carved out of reality itself. Because I can fly, I arrive at the roof first. Plain, but large construction. I find a body and it finally has armor. A shield, no weapons. I might as well take it.

I come into the deserted halls. An inn, tavern and a trade depot await me. The depot was probably looted, but when I try to take the weapons, they feel heavy in my hand, like they're saying I'd desecrate my homeland further. I am saddened once more, so I take the only way I find: down. There's not much there, but there is a shrine. I roll the dye.

Odkish have mercy.
I go deeper, but I find nothing down there. I'm feeling more and more tired. This is strange. I've been flying much, but still...
I decide to come back up, rest my bones. The trudge is traitorous on these slopes, but I have wings. I finally arrive up. I look at the inn in wonder, I go through the chests of musical instruments. How beautiful must it have been before Cog tore everything up.
I can almost hear the music, dance with my people. This is so beautiful...
I sit on the cold ground, not caring. My kind has little problems with the elements or the necessities of the living. I rest, listening, imagining, remembering.
My eyes close as I write this and...

FIN

As an aside is there a way to work out what size necromancer experiments are for gear purposes?
Bomrek's pretty happy about that, actually. He's free now. He was going to just run away if Cog's headless body kept ruling the place, since he was an outcast anyway.

On another note, the Dwarf Fortress Legends Wiki has reached 500 articles! I pushed this with some of the forgotten beasts slayed at Zustashmisttar Koshosh Nekut (Ancientknowledge the Library of Secrets), you should check that place out, at least 9 (NINE) forgotten beasts met their end there. It's crazy what happened in those played years there.

Anyway, I'm pretty glad how far the wiki has gone, even if compared to the material we have the articles are a drop in an ocean. We have as many or more articles than some regularly edited wikis on mainstream fiction, though that's understandable since they don't have the potential material we do. It's still pretty nice to see it rising and others creating articles. I hope it's an useful resource, as limited as it may be right now.

On yet another note, I checked my first fortress Eskôn and I'm a little worried. Even before I started my turn, I tried to reclaim and the game crashed. The next time it let me reclaim even if I changed no settings. It did this again after I ended my turn (crashed reclaim, then successful reclaim). Does anyone know of this bug or have they ever encountered it reclaiming their forts, and should we be worried?

Also I'm left with 9 dwarves. Yikes. At least Kikrost stayed.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 08, 2021, 12:15:21 pm »

Turn on decompressed saves in the init files, muck around in game a little1, then save and check in the savegame's folder. If the world.dat file is now world.sav (or if it's experienced a large - as in, about 6-7 times the previous size - increase in file size), open it and ctrl+f the name of the experiment in question. Once that's done, search "body_size"; this should show you the size of the experiment's body.

IIRC, creatures can wear clothing and armour that's about ~1/7 larger or smaller than their size in the raws, so I'd advise trying to wear dwarf-sized gear as a SoN (52,000 body_size), and human-sized as a HoP (65,000). Tileddoctrine's Fists (84,000) seem too big for any of the baseline species' armour (made a TD adventurer, looked at a human abbot, and all his gear was listed as 'small'), so you'd have to either use whatever you picked up during chargen, use advfort to make your own at whatever forge you can find, or make a stash of TD-sized armour in a fortress on a turn before you use an experiment as an adventurer.

1: Assuming you're running a completely fresh file (no active adventurer or fort), opening in adv/fort mode then aborting after the usual 14-day timeskip does not cause it to update the save file to a .sav. Making an adventurer or fort then starving/retiring/abandoning, on the other hand, does cause the file to update appropriately.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 08, 2021, 12:37:48 pm »

Or you could do trial and error. Look in Legends Viewer on what kind of night creature you want to play, select it from race, click one of the names that shows up, then do a throw-away game save,
Code: [Select]
unretire-anyone and type the name of the creature, play as it and see its inventory. Soldiers of Night are declared "small", but the clothes they wear have nothing "small" like goblins, so probably dwarf size is OK. I haven't tested weapons, but I assume they can wield anything.

Of course, not all night creatures or demons or other relatively unique creatures have living historical figures for you to hijack. It depends on your luck.

Regarding my reclaiming, I forgot about the first time, but the second time it didn't crash I set
Code: [Select]
set-timeskip-duration -years 0 (truly, the most wonderful command to have come out in the last years in DFHack). I'm not sure if skipping the 2 weeks helps with reclaiming.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 08, 2021, 12:59:09 pm »

OK, so using QD's method we can calculate the size of the necromancer experiements available to adventurers. And with this knowledge, fort mode players can craft armour to fit those players (i.e. at the forge using the (d)etails command you can set the size of an armour crafting job to "sized for a Serpent Man" or some such...)

Soldier of Night = 52000 urists = roughly same size as a Serpent Man at 50000 urists
Hand of Planegifts = 65000 urists - same size as a Cougar man, and sweet spot between Dwarf/Goblin/Elf and Human - HoP adventurers should in theory be able to wear armour crafted by any of the core races.
Tileddoctrine's Fist = 84000 urists = roughly same size as a Warthog Man at 85000 urists.

With regards to weapons, anything bigger than 77500 urists can use a two-handed weapon in a single grasp. And even a little Soldier of Night should be able to use every one-handed weapon in a single grasp.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 08, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »

On another note, the Dwarf Fortress Legends Wiki has reached 500 articles! I pushed this with some of the forgotten beasts slayed at Zustashmisttar Koshosh Nekut (Ancientknowledge the Library of Secrets), you should check that place out, at least 9 (NINE) forgotten beasts met their end there. It's crazy what happened in those played years there.

Oh i was playing the world on my second monitor most of that week i had it. The forgotten beasts, three of them had webs and was utterly painful. I did display all mega and semi corpses i could as a little museum and perhaps someone's future evil plan. Especially with Ancientknowledge having the most walled dyed dwarves currently.

Here is what was on display.(Updated and corrected)

Forgotten Beasts - 12

Cethutha - Displayed
Rine - Displayed
Rulush Forthwhirls the intense louse - Displayed
Tohwot Squashedknives the Violent - Displayed Vomit
Acmot Oarstarves - Partialy displayed - drank his water
Lomifo Shiptumors - Displayed
Lothena Echorulers the godly  - Display Shards of glass
Dethe Mokeywave  - Displayed
Ilu Lakesseer the ruthless - Displayed
Thol Tombsurns the umbra of Buryings - Displayed
Solon Loyalecho the bottom of nights - Displayed
Isa Hollowecho - Displayed

Cyclops - 4

Threthrus Brassleaps the Greatest
Rab Mossyears the Copper
Haleskies the Special
Fedi Puceumber the Radiant

Ettin - 2

Spishab Rapidgold the Tenacity of Saffron
Ez Matchedbreaches  the Fortuitous Silks

Roc - 1
Prairievalley the Sculpted

Not sure how up to date my notes were so i might be missing ones
- Updated to show all of them
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 02:39:06 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 14, 2021, 12:04:20 pm »

Some lore.

To His Royal Majesty Bralbaard Nilthatlosh Åm,
From His loyal servant Kikrost Órnomal, Expedition Leader of Tosid Doren and Ruler of Eskôn

Firstly, allow me to congratulate Your Majesty on His Ascension to the Throne of our most ancient, loved and precious Adilatír.
Forgive this servant's tardiness for sending this letter, but matters of the colony have taken up much of my time.

In the beginning, we were happy. More than happy, truly. We had come simply for a grand pedestal discovered by the blessed human Lurker Onecbehal, however we found great resources deep in the rock. We did not dig deep enough to be reckless, as some of our more foolish kin. Even the environment was nonthreatening and thus we thrived. There were mishap, but only three dwarves died under my watch, and this was an Artifact Matter, thus sadly could not be helped.

We had found lizard people deep in the cave, but instead of slaying or caging them as barbarians, we taught them our ways, integrated them into our society and thus they were happy. There were setback of course, the poor lizards do not live as long as us, thus we mourn our lost brothers.
But as time passed, resources dwindled and silent discontent swam in our fortress' air. We traded with Omon Obin to increase our wealth and sold them wood, for the stone of the land is deserving only to us, its kin. We built a good library and hosted famous dwarves. We celebrated well the entering in a new century and our records show the first dwarf to be born in an Adilatír fortress was born in Eskôn.

Even the negatives were salvageable... until the Overseer left. Praise he be, the second coming of Lurker he must be, yet when he left to other lands, many of the dwarves started leaving with him. From 30 able-bodied sapients, I am now left with 9, including me. Our animals are dead, felled by old age and infertility. Our lizard people, though not hostile, have left for their caves to reasons they would not explain.

And so, instead of stories of great works and battles, we are forced to ask aid instead. We beg You, Our Great Ruler, bring life back to Eskôn. Send those willing to live in comfort and greatness as long as they work for it. Thank you for Your ever understanding and assistance.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Arcturus died in 812 in his camp from old age. RIP Apocalypse Bear (until some adventurer disturbs your eternal sleep, of course).

So, looks like my lore is wrong. I checked and the lizard people (which are actually reptile people) remained civilized and left to an AI-generated hillock. I was confused because when I reclaimed, all my reptile people were gone and there were hostile reptile people in the caves. It looks like the game took the civilized reptile people to that hillock, then checked Eskôn, saw it had no reptile people and generated some more.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 12:19:47 pm by Lurker Z »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 14, 2021, 03:48:40 pm »

How did you civilize reptile people?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 14, 2021, 04:07:19 pm »

How quick the short life span undone all of the lizard people's progress. Slowly reverting to savagery. Yeah there is some interesting stuff going on in the world. Also chances are once more forgotten beast are killed (we got 200+) we are going get an age of three forgotten beast which is cool.

Also Bralbaard how's your turn going?

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 14, 2021, 05:17:49 pm »

That might explain, Lurker, why one of the many small hillocks which sprung up around Ashcinders has a reptile man Mayor...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 14, 2021, 05:43:00 pm »

Also Bralbaard how's your turn going?

I've not had much time to play, hope to make up for that this evening, I'll upload the save game tomorrow.
As to how it's going... ehm.. can't say it's going well for everybody. Here's the start:

------------

The royal court of the Walled Dye is in disarray.  King Bralbaard went missing several weeks ago, and there is no hint as to where he went.

The nobles of Treatyseed have wasted no time searching for the king. Instead they spend all their energy backstabing each other in an attempt to claim the crown for themselves. Reports are coming in that a full blown loyalty cascade has the captial in it's grip, with dozens, if not hundreds of dead. Some say that this wild frenzy is not natural but fueled by an unholy syndrome. Black collumns of smoke rise from the ruined capital, while the temple and trade depot are drenched in blood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where is king Bralbaard, now that his empire needs him most?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 06:16:28 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 14, 2021, 08:09:30 pm »

Sorry to hear about your turn but dam this is a dark day for the walled dye. The sudden disappearance of king Barlbaard has lead to a power vacuum. Scholars of the walled dye desperately comb through ancient text to find a successior due to a lack of her or inheritors. Meanwhile the nobility argue, fabricate claims and fight eachother.

I see it as this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:44:00 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 263