Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 260

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 392031 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1275 on: November 17, 2021, 01:03:10 pm »

It's the undead, the necromancer books Moldath brought to the museum create undead with the ability to rot. So chances are it was that. The evil biome revives, in a recent test of claiming abandoned forts I was doing. the evil biome just revived a yak I fought on a roof
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 17, 2021, 04:06:27 pm »

8th of Limestone, 825
It started raining blood today. Maybe it's a sign that I shouldn't do this, but I can't go back now.

It's time to read the slab, and finally figure out what's going on.

10th of Limestone, 825
I have seen it. Something - no, NOTHING - is out there. It does not exist and yet it is still here. A Worm coiled around the heart of the world, antithetical to the very concept of existence.

I submit a depiction of what I saw to the museum in Boltspumpkin.

We are but motes of dust.

0th of Limestone, 0
THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM THE WORM

OOC: no, I won't explain anything, because I don't have an explanation, I just want to confuse people
interpret this however you want
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 17, 2021, 04:24:44 pm »

THE WORM x 161

OK, that is certainly one of the more creepy museum submissions... So much for thinking all those citizens in Gor and Duskhome ended up in a better place.

Are you building a fortress/worm pit now?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:41:08 pm by Bralbaard »

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 17, 2021, 04:49:49 pm »

THE WORM x 161

OK, that is certainly one of the more creepy museum submissions... So much for thinking all those citizens in Gor and Duskhome ended up in a better place.

Are you building a fortress/worm pit now?
I don't
know how to play fortress mode
so no.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 17, 2021, 05:43:18 pm »

I don't
so no.
In this particular thread? It's no big deal, just make a fortress and dedicate it to what you like. The point of the fortresses is for other people to visit and wonder. It also makes wonderful drama when some of a fortress' items are nicked, especially by NPCs.

You can of course choose not to make a fortress, the faster our turn comes I guess.

Anyway, loved the story, nice eldritch vibes. Is it the end or are there more adventures?
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 17, 2021, 05:44:28 pm »

I'd like to sign up for another turn.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 17, 2021, 07:50:23 pm »

I don't
so no.
In this particular thread? It's no big deal, just make a fortress and dedicate it to what you like. The point of the fortresses is for other people to visit and wonder. It also makes wonderful drama when some of a fortress' items are nicked, especially by NPCs.

You can of course choose not to make a fortress, the faster our turn comes I guess.

Anyway, loved the story, nice eldritch vibes. Is it the end or are there more adventures?
I don't mean I'm not good at fortress mode, I mean I don't know the basic mechanics of fortress mode.

Also, uuuuhhhh
it's the end of me playing this turn, but I'll probably sign up for a new one once I come up with another idea for what to do with that turn.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: November 17, 2021, 07:58:51 pm »

Oh...k...? Just remember to retire somewhere if your adventurer survives (preferably not a goblin fort, players tend to raid those and we accidentally lost an adventure to such a raid) and to upload the game before your week is done.

Or you could starve him in the wilderness if it works for your roleplay. Your call.

Ah, that reminds me, what happened with that demon in the end? The story cuts from the encounter with the demon (who for some reason didn't slaughter the adventurer) to reading the slab.

Also, uuuuhhhh
it's the end of me playing this turn, but I'll probably sign up for a new one once I come up with another idea for what to do with that turn.
Try reading the adventurers' posts if you haven't yet. There are MANY, MANY plots in this world and if you can't find yours, you can take inspiration or join the cause of one of the adventurer that's lived in the over a century of played world.

Me, I have open plots with Omon Obin (from where I had an adventurer), a greedy dwarf with an obsession for a clear diamond pedestal, trying to resurrect the fallen civilization Dalzatèzum by using the loophole in which a necromancer created night creature from said civilization which nominally are part of it even if it's not playable, a fortress in the center of the world and a fortress in the elven heartlands. Or you could just be a random animal man trying to find their place in the world. Or any other thousand things. I hope inspiration finds you.

PS the last people on the list calculate their turn will be around Christmas, so you might want to ask a turn as soon as you finish, because it takes over a month to get a new turn for the most recent who desire it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:12:27 pm by Lurker Z »

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 17, 2021, 10:12:46 pm »

Oh...k...? Just remember to retire somewhere if your adventurer survives (preferably not a goblin fort, players tend to raid those and we accidentally lost an adventure to such a raid) and to upload the game before your week is done.

Or you could starve him in the wilderness if it works for your roleplay. Your call.
I retired Ezif in Glazedriven because
y'know
it's a necromancer tower
reading a slab makes you a necromancer
and also it's relatively close to the places that got erased. I originally wanted to retire IN Gor, but it gave me the starve option instead.

Ah, that reminds me, what happened with that demon in the end? The story cuts from the encounter with the demon (who for some reason didn't slaughter the adventurer) to reading the slab.
I literally just
ran away
which worked somehow.

Hence "It's a good thing I can't get tired anymore." (y'know, because vampire)

here's the save since you told me to upload it: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15749
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:43:22 pm by ChaosPotato »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 18, 2021, 02:22:07 am »

Thanks for the save game, I'll pass it on to unraveler. Meanwhile I'll try and finish the story for my adventure over the next day:

------------------------

Report on 825 state visit by his royal highness Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning.

Over the last few decades I have been unable to spend much time on my original profession, that of historian. As you may have heard I have been crowned king of the Walled Dye. This is a great honour, but the job is fundamentally incompatible with that of a historian. As a king you are supposed to make history, not write it, and questions about integrity and ethics should be raised when the jobs are combined. I will therefore only write notes on my actions as a king, and will leave it up to the historians of the current and future ages to interpret them and give them a proper place in history.

This report is about a journey I made in the year 825, a time that turned out to be an important turning point for both my reign, and my empire. The official reason for setting out was to bring an official state visit to the empire of the Staff of Kissing, and their king Tobul Tomeschance. It is unfortunate, to say the least, that there has never been an official meeting between the last two dwarven houses of the realm. In general questions should be asked about why the rulers of this world do not meet more often to discuss the problems that our world faces.

For some reason none of the other nobles, or even common peasants were willing to join me on my journey. At the time I ascribed this to cave adaptation or general apathy. I found out months later that they all wanted to stay behind to overthrow my rule and claim the crown the moment I left the capital. That however is a story I will not dive into in this report.

While on the road I was painfully reminded of the state of my body, or should I say corpse.
There was not much left of me: I was covered in scars and burn marks from head to toe and my head was a disfigured mess without ears or teeth. but worst of all I had to miss my right arm.  I know powerful spells, but can not cast them as a result. This might be for the best, with such power comes corruption.  I never trained or grinded skills but I had seen enough combat to defend myself on my lonely journey, this being my fourth adventure. 

I set course for Stockadeoutrage. According to intelligence king Tobul would reside there. First however I briefly stopped by in Newworld for a royal inspection of this fortress that was founded only months ago.  There was not much to see yet besides a hastily dug stairwell with several very large bedrooms. The locals were friendly and showed proper respect during my visit.
The next day I passed through the human town of Pricerings to view the famous “bridge between bridges”, certainly one of the stranger architectural designs in our world.

I remember arriving in Stockadeoutrage several days later. King Tobul Tomeschance was nowhere to be found and the dwarves there were unwilling to reveal where he was. Dwarves in other fortresses from the Staff of Kissing, like Healerlashes, were similarly unhelpful in setting up a meeting with their king. This is a clear insult and an obvious signal that they want no relationship between our houses. Well then, let it be clear that we will guard the riches in our mountains from their miners. A bitter disappointment but we will live with it.

Despite the setback I decided not to give up on diplomacy.  I decided to continue my royal world tour. Next on the list was the elven queen. Meetings between elves and dwarves have often ended in misunderstanding and disaster, and many would claim that any further attempts would be wasted on the arrogant pointy ears. As the king however one has to try to look beyond prejudice and look at what can be gained through cooperation. In the past both the dwarves and elves were nearly crushed under the undead hordes, by working together such a fate could be avoided in the future.

You may wonder why I had the idea that the elven queen Vafice Lutecover would be willing to listen to a dwarf. Vafice had been born in a time before time and for all I knew she could be a thousand years old. Why would she listen to any youngsters from outside her forests? The reason I saw hope was because despite the odds we had a lot in common.
Like me, Vafice had been murdered and had been raised against her will as an undead. The exact same curse was used on both of us, the curse of the dark one. Then, in a similar twist to my own life, her people had put her on the throne. 

Yes, despite their own objections, the dead rule the world these days.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:47:32 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 18, 2021, 03:51:26 am »

Love the creepy factor Chaos, the worm

Interesting story Bralbarrd, such an insight to the struggles of nobility. Look forward to more.

Its odd but the last thing King Tobul Tomeschance has done is put a claim on Mishthemtokthat "The Scholarly Scorn" the legendary zinc figurine of Vabok Glazeddoors, one of the prior kings of the walled dye and one of the shortest lived kings at that. Perhaps he is envy's the success and growth of the walled dye with even an unnoteworthy king being immortalised in a glorious artifact.

An interesting artifact with many seeking to possess it themselves. Including a recent plot by a to steal it from Sealsabres which was thwarted by the blind sadist himself. Since then no one dares to claim the artifact or seek the wrath of The Ardent one himself.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 04:26:50 am by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 18, 2021, 05:25:44 am »

In the absence of the king, no one knew who should run. A struggle ensued as a power vacuum left by King Bralbaard had nobles fighting for the throne. However the throne has been claimed by someone new

Hail Queen Olon Gearedkeepers. New ruler of The Walled Dye

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 18, 2021, 06:41:54 am »

OOC: I have to note that during my travels I was blissfully unaware of this attempt at the crown, so I will just continue as such:

------------

On my journey to the far north, I met many different characters like Rekthor Lulledhames the Fuchsia Color of Rooms, a demon slayer from Shadecavern the Deep Chasm. And Nom the Cheese, a gorlak that had started a small museum in the keep of Diptramples. This was the same keep where I was nearly murdered by two goblin bowmen one-hundred-and-twenty-five years ago. It is strange how some of these memories haunt you for a life time, whereas I struggle to recall large parts of my journey to the elven lands during this adventure.

Nom's museum:

I know that I shared my journey with many different travellers, most of them goblin adventurers. But there was a cat too. I fear I struggle to recall their names.  Somehow, none of them lasted long. The woods were full of wolves and bandits, and though I am by now capable of fending of these attacks by slowly taking these enemies down, I always found my companions dead after these battles.

There was one ambush however that also almost ended me. While traveling I somehow found myself trapped by the most unlikely bandit gang. It consisted of a muscular honey badger, two goblins and a demon expedition leader known as Letha Whisperedheaven. This was not any demon. No. This was a charcoal brute, a huge towering sauropod with four horns that breathes large collumns of fire. The exact same type of demon that murdered me in the keep of Incenseorder in 712. That previous demon had ripped of my shield arm, which made the job for his colleague in the here and now a lot easier because I had no way to block the dragon fire.
A sharp phantom pain shot through my missing limbs as if all the old wounds had been ripped open, I had to get away! Luckily the demon turned on it’s companions first. Collumns of dragonfire tore through the air, incinerating everything in it’s path. Somehow, I managed to get away through the black smoke. The screaming told me that the goblins and honey badger were not as lucky.

I finally made it to Vacirayali where, according to the museum journals by Raki, the mothertree grows and the elves originated. I had expected to see the elven queen there. The queen who carried the same undead curse as me, and who was marked by a similar history.

I soon found that I was at the wrong place. Certainly, the mother tree was there, untouched. It’s massive branches heavy with feathertree eggs, eggs from which, according to legends the first elves hatched, and later, that abomination, Raki. But there were no elves here now, the forest retreat was mostly empty. The reason was obvious. Deep trenches had been cut across the landscape and dark goblin towers watched over the silent forest. The goblin towers were abandoned now, but they must have been witness to violent events from long ago.

In the end I did find an elf in the top of the mother tree and I learned that the elven court could no longer be found here. The queen could instead be found on the other side of the great channels, possibly in Trammeledjudges
I had almost made the decision to leave, but was confused, as Trammeledjudges should be a human town. But before I could leave the elf handed me a gift, a book from the library that can be found in the top of the mother tree. He urged me to read it, and I did. I found a spot high in the mother tree between the soft down feathers, and I read.
While reading I fell in a trance. It was like queen Vafice had somehow reached over the ocean through this book. Somehow between the pages, I felt we could share the burden of our curse, despite the distance.  When I turned the last page I was a different dwarf. It was clear. I had to return home to govern, the book I took with me, it would make a fitting museum piece.

In pursuit of goverment, the elven book:

Before returning to the museum, I had one more visit to make, to Northcamp. According to the journals at the museum this was the place where Arcturus Cinderfang, the black bear man, retired after his rampage through elven lands. I found his hideout at the very northernmost tip of the continent: A small wooden shack in the midst of a dense forest. When I approached I was met by the most terrible and threatening roar. Alarmed I took several steps back: A massive black bear man lept from the shack. He wore armor and gear crafted from the hides of his victims, and drew two mighty artefact weapons. Arcturus gazed at me with eyes that could pierce slade, and let out another deafening roar. There was no doubt who would win this battle.

Then suddenly Arcturus collapsed.

I ran to the shack, only to find a skeleton. Arcturus must have been dead for decades before I got here, but then what did I just witness? How was this possible?

It was clear that a strange magic haunted this place. Arcturus possessions where here, but then again they were not. I could see his gear, but could not interact with it. His corpse though was physical, and I decided to take it with me to Herograves, to make sure that the black bear man could finally find rest.

-----

OOC: One more part to write.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:58:12 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 18, 2021, 06:59:16 am »

The plot thickens, i saw the old bear had croaked twice and wondered what had happened. Looking forward to your third part and how you will Bralbaard interpret it all. Such an interesting read

Atleast Bralbaard will get his old historian job back, free from the burden of leadership. Dwarven leadership is a bewitching gumbo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 07:00:59 am by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 18, 2021, 11:39:16 am »

First however I briefly stopped by in Newworld for a royal inspection of this fortress that was founded only months ago.  There was not much to see yet besides a hastily dug stairwell with several very large bedrooms. The locals were friendly and showed proper respect during my visit.
Argh, I failed hard to impressed. It was not much built and a rough start, lots of alligators attacking left and right. It might take a few decades or more until I made the place worthy as the center of the world.

That multiple deaths bug strikes again! I thought it was just for the corrupted places, but it looks like it's happening all over the land. Weird!
Hail Queen Olon Gearedkeepers. New ruler of The Walled Dye
That's Queen Olon Olonzuden, peasant.
I know that I shared my journey with many different travellers, most of them goblin adventurers. But there was a cat too. I fear I struggle to recall their names.
Cat's name was Cog "Ironpath" Datannimar. The goblins, eh, who cares? Good for canon fodder, I guess. They'll have their names immortalized in Bralbaard's article for the only reason to be fortunate enough to be chosen by the Immortal King as His companions.
The woods were full of wolves and bandits [...]
Actually, (a literal) dingo ate your cat. Your memory's real bad, old man.
Newworld [...] very large bedrooms
That's my MO, 11 x 11 rooms for various stuff, put beds in them, assign who I like, the others can sleep in the common dormitory.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:34:57 pm by Lurker Z »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 260