Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409579 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1365 on: December 12, 2021, 12:09:29 am »

Wait, the ghoul curse doesn't add the sterile tag? That sounds like a bug report.
Don't be silly, that sounds like a feature. There's nothing to report here, citizens, be on your way and rejoice at the good fortunes of the Gods bestowed upon us lowly mortals!

More seriously, the worst bug related to this must be the explosive breeding of invading necro experiments on the map. I hope that gets fixed if it hasn't already.

As for Moldath and Kajeth, religious pressure, oh my. Lurker was with Bikda, Kajeth is with Ala. It's interesting to point out Ala is probably the most influential God in Orid Xem, maybe only rivaled by Avuz Thukkan, one of the three Gods I actually found that have holy cities. Ala is also worshiped by elves in mass, who are steadily moving from their forest spirit to the god of death and blight. Armok must be laughing up a storm of blood at that.

There's something I noticed of Moldath, he killed Zefon Avuztosid, frak it, I had plans for her. I'll have to travel to Monkeycurse to read that slab (and maybe resurrect some of the dead there, if I'm not killed myself).

I have to admit though, in my subjective opinion, Moldath is coming the closest to rival Lonelythrall in "the most awesome adventurer of the Museum" department (Avo and Galka Linarad might be on that list, too).

I've been looking at Eskôn, it looks like someone is listening to that letter of Kikrost's, if only in spirit, as it's starting to have void dwarves settlers in the last years. Maybe our great King Bralbaard sent word here and there that Eskôn really needs more able-bodies dwarves (and reptiles. Reptiles are good too)?

Is the Shelter of Adventurers working right again? Did anyone try to get there after I encountered those problems in 770?

I was going to make an article on Orid Xem religions. There are 1266 existing religions. The last one was created in 699, so apparently religions don't spawn anymore after World Activation. It's going to take some time to complete such a task...

I thought it'd be nice to see which religion has Holy Cities, which deity has the most religions, which settlement has the most religions started and such.

Bralbaard, replace "Heavenheaters the fair peace" with Heavenheathers the Fair Peace (I was wondering why I couldn't find it, then I found the typo).

[...] How do you successfully claim an existing settlement in adventure mode? I didn't find much documentation on the matter, but I've seen in Legends adventurers successfully doing it several time. Do you have to say it to the old Lord/Lady's face, then challenge them? And what of settlements without inhabitants?
Bumped for an answer.

I tried to claim Palacework with Bomrek last time, and it appears to have worked, except I couldn't retire there and had to starve. Anyone know what the issue was?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 07:02:41 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 15, 2021, 08:31:44 am »

As you walk around the museum, you suddenly notice a new submission with a small plaque reading "Putting Goblin Knowledge to go use - Ongoing Submission". As you look to see this submission, all you see is a very bloody copy of the book Common Sense Goblins.

More soon to follow
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:12 am »

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 15, 2021, 01:02:34 pm »

Here you go - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15787
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After finding that out, I can't wait to read about what happened in your turn!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 15, 2021, 01:49:44 pm »

Here you go - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15787

After finding that out, I can't wait to read about what happened in your turn!

I didn't get to do as much as i wanted due to being in the office this week and then going for a date yesterday. But i managed to get some stuff done.

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 15, 2021, 02:35:16 pm »

Explanation

As you enter the museum you see a bark scorpion man, bearing many scars and missing a hand. He looks you up and down. Then approaches

Hello, the names Avolition Holyblood the Autumnal Kingdoms as well as boldspumpkins new guard for the museum. I have been around the world of Orid Xem and i know some of the dangers and plagues that blight this world. The main one being the goblins.

The goblins are responsible for the disappearence of my people and many of the worlds problems, sure their demonic masters are gone but the wounds left in this world are infected and seeping with death and destruction. Demons walk the land, the undead lose themselves and the great blight. So i was it my goal to push the goblins back, cull their numbers and give Orid Xem a chance of healing. I can answer anything you want to know about my travels, lots of interesting stories and dangers. Feel free to ask away but i think its important to tell you of Ala. If the name rings a bell it should.

Ala is the human god of death, blight and balance. He and his followers are responsible for the blight in Orid Xem, i have seen the horrors and powers first hand. I heard during my travels of a religious group of elves called The Frothy Sect, a group hundreds of years old dedicated to worshiping Ala. I hear that once a normal practicing religion was corrupted and twisted by the goblins who numbered 5,000 plus. I blew it off as exaggeration on the storytellers behalf. So i made my way to Canyonpains, the monastery. I thought i would only have to deal with atmost 20 goblins.

I was wrong....

In my vision i felt the presence of thousands of goblins, they were up to something, i tried to near one of the buildings and felt myself slow down. Time was wrong, the ground shaked and the walls of the building distorted. Every step i took to open the door took longer and longer. Minutes became hours, hours became days, days became weeks and weeks became months. I eventually made it to the door and thats when i saw, lots of goblins and elfs all cramped into this small building, wrestling eachover, over blood and corpse. It was sickening. They all greated my in unison and continued chanting their dark ritual.

I raised my sword and begun to cut into them, with each goblin death i felt myself get quicker and quicker. The goblins crocked smiles of pleasure turned to faces of panic. Something was wrong. The air hissed and crackled with arcane energy, elves and goblins rushed me and attacked me until i was out of the door way. Then the pulse came, a great burst of light shot out, i was sent flying for miles, i was unhurt having managed to land on my feet but the sheer energy and power that explosion haunted me. I needed to get stronger, quicker and smarter. Months later i did try to return but there was a barrier, it prevented me into getting in there but i could see that their were only a handful of them left. What happened to them, im not sure. I don't know what this means for the future of Orid Xem.

I will be around, making sure the museum is safe and secure. So feel free to ask me any questions about my adventures. I have plenty of stories.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:39:29 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 15, 2021, 04:05:12 pm »

Ah, canyonpains.. I did not post about it, but Bralbaard passed through that site on his last adventure. The lag was truly unbearable with each step taking absolute ages. I don't now what dark magic Avolition Holyblood used to clear the site out, but the world is certainly a better place now.

spoiler:

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 15, 2021, 04:22:21 pm »

Ah, canyonpains.. I did not post about it, but Bralbaard passed through that site on his last adventure. The lag was truly unbearable with each step taking absolute ages. I don't now what dark magic Avolition Holyblood used to clear the site out, but the world is certainly a better place now.

spoiler:
Explanation

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 04:36:15 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: December 15, 2021, 05:34:39 pm »

"Moldath II", Part II, Turn 63

Frothbone

It takes little encouragement from Rirdest for young Kajeth to agree to set off to reclaim Frothbone for the Coven of Frothing.

Kajeth gathers his simple belongings and his uncle’s bronze scimitar, stowing them in his great white shark leather backpack, and follows the rotting Prophet.

They set off north at Rirdest’s behest. The blind seer is slow and careful and is guided by the younger man. On the outskirts of town, arrive at the monastery of Tireparches, dedicated to Ala.

This monastery is well known to Kajeth, and although it is of the Faith of Lice, not the coven of frothing, he considers it a holt place dedicated to his God. The monastery has many statues of Ala, depicted as a rotting male human, embracing his followers.

A short distance from the temple, next to one statue is a cold, ancient die of twenty sides, motionless atop a stone pedestal. Kajeth has never had the courage to test his faith in Ala but Rirdest cries that one such as he, so devout, should fear no ill will from their majestic God.

Inscribed upon the stone die are many runes, which represent tenets of the faith of Ala. Kajeth recognises Death, Mucus, Mange, Equality, Starvation, Puke... facets of balance, of blight and of death.

At Rirdest's urging, the young preacher proves his unshaken faith in Ala and rolls the icosahedral die.

The inscribed sigil reads EQUALITY - Ala in his guise as God of Balance. How fitting, cackles Rirdest, for the future Prophet of Balance. Kajeth falls to his knees in wonder, and a voice within his head whispers Ropecrafts... with a shimmer, a scimitar of blue metal appears before the statue... praise Ala!

Kajeth takes the weapon, marvelling at how light it feels in his grasp. No toolmarks on its hilt, the blade sparkling in the air. It is unnaturally sharp and sings as it dances in his hands. “Godenrigoth” murmurs Rirdest, mouthing in the dwarven tongue the name spoken to Kajeth by his God. A fine blade indeed.

It is not far north that the two travellers find their intended destination, a humble camp nestled on the north east of the Mong Uthros territory. Crabs scuttle to and fro as the waves wash upon the beach.

A foreboding squad wooden ziggurat is seemingly abandoned. Inside are roughly hewn wooden furniture, but no sign of Uklasut or indeed the strange monkey Raki Umberclan.

Searching the site carefully at the urging of Rirdest, Kajeth finds a grotesque human bone totem and at last, tumbling on the shores of the beach, Uklasut - Frothbone!

The bronze slab is incredibly heavy, and Kajeth struggles to haul it to the pyramid. He reads the words of Ala and is filled with terrible knowledge.

The sadistic dwarf grins at his deception. This useful idiot has served his purpose indeed. Casting off his robes, Rirdest stands naked atop the wooden shrine, bellowing in manic laughter. Kajeth’s face is one of confusion and terror, but he is changed from the young man who longed to be a prophet. He was now a necromancer, and the knowledge inside him whispered and corrupted his once pure heart. 

Rirdest now asks a favour of his companion – strike him down and use the knowledge he has gained, and raise him as a Fell One, in the name of Ala! 

Kajeth’s blackened heart yet quickens as he considers the request. He must accede that the Prophet has shown him the true will of Ala and, even though he feels his will faltering, he acknowledges the dwarf’s macabre wish with a solemn nod.

As night falls, Kajeth tears the throat of his prophet; gouts of rotten blood spray over the monkey's temple, and Rirdest falls to his knees. Soon, his body is still... Trembling, Kajeth gestures, and the prophet's corpse shudders and rises, a Fell One.

A laugh from his torn throat echoes around the small room - "I am Moldath Mournsaints the Ardent!"

Kajeth realises he has been tricked and played like a fool. Drawing the adamantine scimitar, he lunges at the dwarf.

But Moldath Mournsaints is no frail prophet. With one hand, the dwarf grabs Godenrigoth and disarms the young human, and sees the fear well in his eyes.

Hefting Uklasut in his left hand, Moldath strides towards the cowering human.

Moldath can see again through rotten eyes, and feels reborn in death. 

He draws his tattered rags around him and sets off once more...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:18:32 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: December 15, 2021, 06:05:32 pm »

"Moldath II", Part III, Turn 63

8th Galena 826

I feel different. I am now a Fell One, wielder of terrible magic. My years of exile and chastisement are over. I set off west, free of the prophets false name and now bearing Godenrigoth and Uklasut. Although I feel no guilt or pain at killing the stupid human, I will endeavour to complete his misguided quest, and return the slab to its “rightful” owner. 

A short distance away, I am ambushed by wolves, and get to practice my swordcraft. I spend a night in the hospitality of the humans of Spongypriest, a castle, but leave at dawn lest I outstay my welcome.

I chance upon a small bandit camp and the frail leader goblin does not see me as I silently choke her throat, and drain her foul blood. It feels like months since I had fresh blood and I am interested to find that my undead body still thirsts.

I travel the wildnerness for days, searching for the hamlet Releaseteachers, where Kajeth told methe Coven of Frothing are based.

11th Galena 826

Eventually, I arrive at Releaseteachers. A few humans live here, and to the north east, is the mead hall.

I open the doors and greet the lady, Lubbe Iliddirlu, keeper of the mead hall The Dangerous Blocks, and previously Holy Raunch of the Coven of Frothing. She is now the Lady of this town and a devout follower of Ala. 

I gift the slab to the lady and she is overcome with joy, and makes me a hearthperson.

She requests that I slay a night creature terrorising the town from a lair to the north, and I head out at once. I stop at the fort of Faintscuffed, and the soldiers there tell me where to find the night creature, in its lair of Shadyumbral.

I find the hatch covering the lair and creep inside. 

I spot the beast, a bleak freak, with stretched wings. It moves with uneven jerking motions. I make quick work of it with my scimitar and carve out its skull as a trophy to show Lubbe. In its den are the bones of an elf, and I make myself a nice elf bone ring.

13th Galena 826

I return to Releaseteachers and put the skull of the bleak freak Ura Sablefated the Shadows of Oblivion on display there. Lubbe grins nervously at me.

I leave and head west... I need to find a dwarven settlement for armour and clothes to replace my simple rags. The towns and castles here have only outsized human gear

Perhaps I should return to that cursed island where I was tortured and chained, to see if they have any armour I could steal. It would also be nice to claim back the scrolls I authored there... the only good memories I have of Ancientknowledge.

Late in the afternoon, I arrive at the shore of the Worshipful Jungle, and across the sea I can make out the island where I was imprisoned for so long...

I begin my long swim.

14th Galena 826

I make landfall as dawn breaks, startling a crab.

I arrive at the fort from the north, and scout the area. It all feels so different now my vision is restored.

A short while later I spot two pristine steel arrows in a neat pile. The arrows are not dwarven craft, and  look suspiciously like the steel arrows that were embedded in my body when I arrived at this prison. I take these mementoes of my past life and stow them in the great white shark leather backpack I borrowed from Kajeth. He certainly didn’t need it any more.

The island is densely forested, and crossbow bolts are scattered around. I chance upon an outdoor farm plot growing grape vines of all things... how undwarven!

Past the farm lies the entrance to the fort, and the trade depot is packed with seeds of various fruits and an unusual number of statues depicting a small violent kobold. 

I press on through the fort and enter the library, and greet the scholars there. Some seem to recognise me, but eye me nervously. If they are perturbed by my new deathly form and sense of purpose, they do their best to not let on. I scan their faces, searching for any flicker of fear. Blind as I was, I cannot be sure which of these cowards was responsible for chaining me or beating me, and I resist the urge to slaughter them all. Above all, Dwarves are my kin, and I try to cool my burning rage. 

In the bookcases there, I spot "Life with the Wind", a beaver parchment scroll written by myself! I stow it in my pack.

Further into the fort I spot the Countess Aban Ochredrill, who seems to be reading "Mysteries of the Year", an emu parchment scroll, again written by myself when I was incarcerated here.

Wanting to avoid violence, I trade her a masterwork slate earring that I looted from a fort decades ago for the tome, which she is glad to accept.

I spend a while reading in the library before chancing upon an artefact steel spear, just lying on the floor unguarded. Dancetorch the Past Uncertainty was wielded by a foul ettin, who lost his life in this fort. 

I slip the spear into my pack. Sadly, despite a thorough search, no dwarven armour is to be found.

I leave the fort and search the small island - and immediately I run into a huge draltha, Kawegistri, Wardedwarned! I stealthily dispatch it and butcher its gigantic corpse. I craft some draltha bone trinkets.

As I make ready to leave the island on the south beach a terrible creature emerges from the sea!

Glumsmoulders the grey fiend! An enormous scaly bison, beware its noxious secretions! It seems to be coated in some blood of a forgotten beast as it storms on to the beach.

With a flick of my wrist, the huge beast stops in its tracks, paralysed by death magic, and a single swift slash of my holy scimitar separates its demonic head from its shoulders.

Off to the west lies the mainland, and in the far distance I think I can spot a fortress, Relicward. Perhaps I will have better luck getting armour there?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:19:19 pm by kesperan »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: December 15, 2021, 06:09:40 pm »

My turn next? How exhilarating! I'll be able to pick up the turn tomorrow and play pretty much all week, assuming I don't die to a howling freak on day one.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 15, 2021, 06:33:55 pm »

Very interesting to see what the blind sadist was up to. Interesting to see Ala playing an important role of late.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 15, 2021, 07:01:14 pm »

Very interesting to see what the blind sadist was up to. Interesting to see Ala playing an important role of late.
Before your turn, The Squeezing Fords had: 563 Elves, 5054 Goblins.
After your turn, The Squeezing Fords have: 292 Elves, 0 Goblins.

Population of Canyonplains (monastery owned by The Squeezing Fords)  before you massacred it: 1 Elf, 5046 Goblins.

It seems by wiping out that monastery you singlehandedly performed an ethnic cleansing and restored the only elf civ to its previous pureblood status. Along with killing half the remaining elves on the planet.

Ala would be proud.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: December 16, 2021, 11:35:51 am »

Ok, I'm still wondering about the deluge of posts after a 4 day drought, haven't read them all, just the highlights, then zig-zagging through Legends Viewer and keep finding weird things...

Ok, I didn't know that was a thing, let me just-

Wait, what? I don't remember even making a smelter, let alone destroying this...

Also I didn't know I had a gneiss scepter called The Immortal Cat? Gneiss, I guess...

Now this is just bizarre. But why is the settlement listed as abandoned? Surely it must be because even named animals aren't listed as citizens of a settlement? Maybe the brave bird died in glorious battle?

You had one job. One job, bird. What is wrong with you?!

Edit: Upon looking through Legends, I may be responsible for the game thinking he's sapient. I'm not sure if to regret it or rejoice for bringing something wonderful in the world. Also

His owner just earned an article (Medtob Kubukothil).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 01:04:57 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 16, 2021, 01:02:21 pm »

Ah, Bomrek.

When I reclaimed Ashcinders and I was struggling to attract new dwarves, I sent messengers to all the hillocks around me asking for new recruits.

Young Bomrek answered the call. Except when he arrived, it was quickly apparent that he was in fact a Guinea fowl and not a dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 263