Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409751 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1380 on: December 16, 2021, 01:09:00 pm »

The year is 78390 almost all record of civilazation is gone, those that remain are few and spread across the war torn land, undead fester and swarm on any life in sight. No one really knows what was in the past, all that is know to have survived those times are the great feathered ones, ancient creatures that have walked the lands for thousands of years.

One of them
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit - Oh so there are two Bomreks who are both immortal pet birds
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 01:16:30 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 16, 2021, 02:34:28 pm »

Young Bomrek answered the call. Except when he arrived, it was quickly apparent that he was in fact a Guinea fowl and not a dwarf.
That post made me laugh for a minute. Then I re-read it and laughed another minute. Well done. I can almost imagine the look on your face: "Hello there, brave Bomrek! Welcome to... uh... you're not a dwarf... question mark?"

That's not the only "sapient" animal that arrived at your place, though they were probably overwhelmed by the "true" arrivals.

Oh Gods, what have I done?

The year is 78390 almost all record of civilazation is gone, those that remain are few and spread across the war torn land, undead fester and swarm on any life in sight. No one really knows what was in the past, all that is know to have survived those times are the great feathered ones, ancient creatures that have walked the lands for thousands of years.

One of them

Edit - Oh so there are two Bomreks who are both immortal pet birds

I have to wonder what Bralbaard as our appointed Game Master equivalent is thinking right now, between the undead plague that hits Ilrallenod every time an adventurer gets close to the capital (starting with his own character) and the immortal animals that are running around the world founding settlements, if he's laughing his belly off or crying rivers of blood for what the world has become. I hope it's the former, to be honest.

I keep looking and it appears The Most Sin is turning into quite the Matriarchy, with 3 out of 3 female Masters after the demon lord's death.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 02:54:48 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 16, 2021, 04:25:54 pm »

That's not the only "sapient" animal that arrived at your place, though they were probably overwhelmed by the "true" arrivals.

Oh Gods, what have I done?
Something wonderful. :P

More seriously, though, the fact that immortal birbs are suddenly showing up to found settlements and may survive longer than most adventurers comes off as side-splittingly hilarious to me. Only in DF could this sort of thing happen.

I keep looking and it appears The Most Sin is turning into quite the Matriarchy, with 3 out of 3 female Masters after the demon lord's death.
It is pretty interesting, yeah; in addition to their last three masters, their current leadership is all female (barring two male members, both recently appointed). Amusingly enough, one of the two is also a Blighted Thrall spawned from Kosoth's rampage, which has got to make for some hilariously awkward leadership meetings.

EDIT: In other news of rulerships, the Realm of Silver was once ruled by a kobold, of all things, during the early years of Orid Xem.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 11:45:42 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 16, 2021, 05:29:20 pm »

I gotta say, unretire-anyone can make for some interesting adventurers. Who's ready for granny Urist?

2 Opal, 831

I am Urist Ironhale, a lowly merchant of the newly founded hillocks of Granitehoods in the hinterlands of Emeraldcrown. This journal marks the beginning of my journey. Our expedition leader had been given a mission from the king, Tobul Tomeschance, to investigate the various fortresses and dwellings of our neighbors in The Walled Dye. When discussing with the hillocks about who should go, I volunteered. My husband had died peacefully a few months ago, and I've been restless ever since. I've not much tying me here any more, and I figure going out and seeing the world would be a rather relaxing endeavor. The townsfolk have given me their condolences and well wishes, but now I only wish to leave. I've been given a writ of acquisition to take to Emeraldcrown and gather some supplies for the journey. I do hope the weather finds me well!

I made my way to the fortress, but it doesn't seem like they've gotten migrants in a while. Many of the original architects that built this wonderful place had either emigrated or died of old age. It feels like that might be my fate soon after my adventures conclude, I spent 142 years alive, and it doesn't feel like I've got many left. I met with the commander Asen of the supposedly fearless Jaguar warriors, though there's no longer any people for him to command. I showed him my writ and he led me to the stocks, providing me with food, alcohol, a bone helmet and even one of the Jaguar's own obsidian swords! I thank him profusely for the honor, and ask where I should go first. He suggested I head south, Crownhall has been attracting many migrants and many other fortresses lie that way. Though he warned that I should find some merchants and dress more warmly before I decide to trek through the Tundra of Heroes.

I decided to stay the rest of the day at the fortress, chatting with the folk that live there, reading the literature, indulging in some of the food that they had, and even learned how to operate the furnaces and used some of their over-abundance of gold to make myself a pretty earring. Of course, I pray to Duthnur the Cradled, god of fortresses while I'm here. I could think of no better shrine to his name than the glory that is Emeraldcrown.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 16, 2021, 05:37:14 pm »

Ah so you wonder what happened to those two well. Not my own work but during my travels i did encounter these two former adventurers. Made me realise that undeath isn't stable and that some come back incomplete whilst others seem to slowly lose themselves. A prime example to me was Moldath whom i meet at his new place, seemed to display some truely distrubing items. When i went to talk to them, they stood silent and unspeaking. He didnt move a muscle, just stood still the entire time i was there. But oh yeah those two whilst not the adventurers i made the mistake with, i did put an end to them. I didnt realise it was Ashro until further research but it was during the harsh winter of 829. This was after my exploits at Herograves, i thought it was a great way to help the world. Bring back the adventurers of old to fight the horrors of this world.

I didn't realise i was creating them.

Ashro approached me in feral state, i assumed he was just another undead, it wasn't until i encountered Lurker that i realised maybe they aren't all there. I mean they didn't look exactly the best. I recall Arcturus' neck dripped with puss. He wasn't skeletal as described. But thats not what you want to hear about.

I put Ashro and Lurker down during that winter, they were feral and lost who they were. 

The snail man i recognised, his silhouette in the late afternoon. During another winter. I was confused at first as he had been dead for years. He approached slowly as we crossed paths, he jerked to face me. His blank stare flickered into that of clarity. He looked around, confused before he shakely grasped his head. Rotted sludge dripped from his eyes and he attacked me. I put him down too. Picked him up and carried him back to Herograves. The good uncle needed rest, its part of the reason im guarding the museum now. I worry that any moment a undead might lose themselves and attack fellow adventurers. I don't know what Arcturus or Pictham are up to or if they are still or even themselves.

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 16, 2021, 07:02:30 pm »

You came to my house and stole my nice goblin hair crown, you gosh-darned varmint.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 16, 2021, 08:27:53 pm »

You came to my house and stole my nice goblin hair crown, you gosh-darned varmint.

Oh yeah, borrowed that. Before i saw you upstairs. Will return it before the blind sadist wrath befalls me. On that note. Sign me up for another turn pls

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 17, 2021, 01:12:40 pm »

In other news of rulerships, the Realm of Silver was once ruled by a kobold, of all things, during the early years of Orid Xem.
Well, yes, Edu has an article since March. He also appointed 2 kobold cabinet members. What led to his rise also led to his downfall, that is rampant rampaging megabeasts during the 1st century (where many megabeasts had 4 destroyed settlements to their name. Each. In the 1st century alone).

Hmm, Elderssins, Zurzolak, it rings bells. If you look at it in Legends Viewer, it has 90 named deaths for a relatively history-less place and the most history happened after the founding of the Museum. There was an insurrection in 706 and another in 754. It seems whenever an adventurer passes through, insurrections happen.

Amusingly enough, one of the two is also a Blighted Thrall spawned from Kosoth's rampage, which has got to make for some hilariously awkward leadership meetings.
My headcanon on the blight is that it can lay dormant for decades or maybe centuries until surfacing. Certainly, blighted individuals travel without tipping off (or infecting) anyone until they run into an adventurer. The blight lay dormant in Treatyseed for literal decades until Bralbaard triggered it by going near the place. An important question is if the blight makes unloaded characters immortal or if they just die of old age, and if the latter, if their bodies can still infect other creatures when an adventurer stumbles in the general vicinity.

I do feel the need to explain my actions regarding immortal animals (and dwarves, but that might come later). My initial idea was to make my fortress' dwarves immortal, if only to track which of them survived the world. I suspected dwarves would leave my fortress from time to time and arrive at others' fortresses and I wondered that if the game lasts for another century or two, there would be overseers who would suspect the immortal dwarves of being night creatures and the misguided actions they'd take to find out. It was then that I would have admitted to my actions. What I had not expected was how many and how fast the dwarves would leave my fort. Also, many of them did not survive the... tender caresses of other overseers. Though I might try to "remedy" that...

This extended to pets for a much more innocent reason: I just didn't want the dwarves to have negative thought when I, so naively, believed that they'd take their pets with them.

In-character, it was a prelude to showing Kikrost was doing necro-adjacent experiments without actually being a necro. I have a bit of a storyline lined up for him and the overseer of Newworld.

Interestingly enough, with the dwarves I made immortal more or less dying in droves, they won't affect population that much (which is still abysmal compared to goblins and even humans), so I'm comfortable in continuing this, if the people have no objections.

The -1 birth date is a Legends Viewer bug, since I'm certain the pets have a date of birth listed in vanilla DF, so don't mind that.

Spoiler: Off-topic (click to show/hide)

it wasn't until i encountered Lurker that i realised maybe they aren't all there
Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! This is news to me. I was brought to Herograves and raised as undead?! I was planning to assault Thillecit, cleanse it of all goblin (and possibly all life) and reclaim the body. Kikrost would have been apoplectic in not finding it. This might just change some things. Thanks for the heads-up.

its part of the reason im guarding the museum now. I worry that any moment a undead might lose themselves and attack fellow adventurers
This reminds of the joke about the gravekeeper clobbering a zombie over the head and putting him back into the grave with the parting words: "We might joke and laugh, but no leaving the premises."

I leave the fort and search the small island - and immediately I run into a huge draltha, Kawegistri, Wardedwarned! I stealthily dispatch it and butcher its gigantic corpse. I craft some draltha bone trinkets.
What a sad fate for a forgotten beast slayer.

Loved the rest of the story, now it makes sense why the adventurer in your save got killed... by a former adventurer.

More seriously, though, the fact that immortal birbs are suddenly showing up to found settlements and may survive longer than most adventurers comes off as side-splittingly hilarious to me. Only in DF could this sort of thing happen.
In a living world, it's not that broken. The next time that settlement is sieged, the goose/rooster/wonder-pig/w/e will be on the battlements fighting 1 vs. 1 against creature well above their weight class in all meanings of the term. Also, even with a benevolent overseer, they might just die of lack of grazing, an enemy or just wondering around where they shouldn't.

The real risk I see in this is they'll keep breeding, if that wonder-pig is any example, and will fill the historical figures list with unnamed animals, clogging the world more and more.

Though I look forward to the first former pet-turned noble/Lord/Baron happening. Now that would be both epic and hilarious. And more power to it that it can barely be considered modded, since it's just using inbuilt DFhack commands.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 17, 2021, 05:28:19 pm »

I totally forgot to ask for a new turn for myself too.

Add me to the list, Former-King Bralbaard!

(I hope to get rest of my story up before Christmas - still have pages of notes and 20+ pictures to go through...)

Also... intriguing start Tonnot98!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 18, 2021, 01:55:59 pm »

I have to wonder what Bralbaard as our appointed Game Master equivalent is thinking right now, between the undead plague that hits Ilrallenod every time an adventurer gets close to the capital (starting with his own character) and the immortal animals that are running around the world founding settlements, if he's laughing his belly off or crying rivers of blood for what the world has become. I hope it's the former, to be honest.

It's perfectly balanced.  I think the world needed a happy tale about immortal sentient pets, to balance out all the undead plagues you mention.
I still think we need to be a bit carefull with dfhack scripts, even though the unexpected side effects for this one have turned out to be mostly harmless and entertaining.   

I'll update the turn list, I'm happy we have a good group of active players here. I'm looking forward to whatever surprises this world will cough up next. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 02:03:10 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 18, 2021, 02:44:04 pm »

You have to admit, this was unexpected. And I saw and still see no way this could break the game. I may be wrong, but it felt pretty harmless to me (though I'd have yoke on my face if the game crashed when one of those immortal creatures visited a settlement... glad that didn't happen).

Another reason I thought that was harmless is because I didn't completely invent that trick from nothing. I took a look at immortal creatures (elves, goblins, vampires etc.) and they have the exact characteristics I gave the dwaves and pets. So from what I knew, it shouldn't have gone wrong (I obviously didn't expect the unnamed breeding spam though).

But I'm glad I could lighten people's day, though not how I was expecting. Let's see how many survive this plague, night creature, goblin and war ridden world. Better to have a shot at immortality than dying of old age, at least.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 18, 2021, 05:32:12 pm »

I'd be interested in trying this out finally!
(presuming my turn would start at least by January, December is a no-go for me)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 18, 2021, 05:47:22 pm »

I'd be interested in trying this out finally!
(presuming my turn would start at least by January, December is a no-go for me)

You should be good, considering it would take 7 of the eight people ahead of you to delay or cancel to make your turn in December. Welcome to the Museum

Drunken scholar

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 18, 2021, 08:41:56 pm »

The thing is, the unnamed breeding spam happens anyway. If a dwarf talks to an animal, there's a chance it becomes a historical figure. Children of historical figures are historical figures themselves. Only extinguishing the family line can stop unnamed pigs from filling legends mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 18, 2021, 11:26:24 pm »

You mean we shouldn't be having chats with random cows?

Fortress mode also produces extra historical animals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 263