Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409671 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1425 on: December 24, 2021, 08:56:53 am »

Some updates/"sneak previews" (not sure how much of this will enter the story):

I hate civilization. The forts are just so laggy. I get why Moldath or Bralbaard didn't slog through tens of z-levels of stairs now.

0 FPS at Usligistra. Literally 1 tile per minute. What the hells are those measly 146 goblins doing there? I had a decent run in Thillecit with tens of creatures roaming around me on the map.

I couldn't resist, I used reveal-all to see what those goblins were up to. Not much, apparently.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Honestly goblins just fill out the place. When i went to Gicayeme they were just all pilled in on top of eachover and it took ages for one move to process. The goblins just move to an area, reproduce quick and are immortal so they just snowball the population on the site. Player forts are mixed bags.

As for Lady Ishes Shovelscribes the Ugly. She has killed five people, become a lady of the creamy confederacy fifty three years late and then settled The Shelter of Adventures. For some reason it doesn't list that this was a traveling companion of Glloyd Ancientborn the Round

Despite my intentions, as I was walking away from the bodies, I heard a noise coming from inside the abandoned fortress. Surely it wouldn’t hurt to take a peek? And I am glad I did, for when I ducked inside the towering entranceway to the fortress, I found one of Cog’s deranged experiments, shuffling about. As I approached it, it looked up at me and spoke out, greeting me, and telling me its name was Ishes Sebidola. The creature seemed lost and scared, so I took pity on it, and asked it to join me on my journey. It eagerly accepted my offer, and fell in line behind me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:16:03 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 24, 2021, 09:35:22 am »

Holy f-, a hollow hunter killed me near Palacework. Well, one week of fortressing it is.

Honestly goblins just fill out the place. When i went to Gicayeme they were just all pilled in on top of eachover and it took ages for one move to process. The goblins just move to an area, reproduce quick and are immortal so they just snowball the population on the site. Player forts are mixed bags.

As for Lady Ishes Shovelscribes the Ugly. She has killed five people, become a lady of the creamy confederacy fifty three years late and then settled The Shelter of Adventures. For some reason it doesn't list that this was a traveling companion of Glloyd Ancientborn the Round

Thanks for the info, nice find. It's fitting then that such a creature becomes Lady of the Shelter of Adventurers (and it appears she's also a diplomat for Boltspumpkin, at least role-playing wise).

And the Ugly and the Hideous... this game almost tugs at my heart-strings with its naming conventions of what turn out to be our heroes.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:44:03 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 24, 2021, 10:23:03 am »

The map has been changing colours since atleast turn 58 probably before. I honestly thought it was changing depending on the season but looking at its certainly interesting. A blight holds these lands

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 24, 2021, 10:43:16 am »

Clearmasters is a short distance westward. This strange fort seems to be built around a monastery, and lizard people reside within its walls. I explore it but find no beasts to slay. I continue my journey southwards.
It's built where a monastery used to exist. I left the original buildings up though. It seems you visited after Bomrek's run, so it's a shame you didn't notice the crystal glass wall or the items behind them, which is the true reason/attraction of the place, the diamond pedestal with artifacts on it. I'll try to replace one of the walls with clear glass so it can be more visible.

Did you have lag problems there? You don't mention going down the stairway, which goes all the way down to the lava. There are some cave renovations going on there and also that wild reptile tribe, which I'll try to co-opt into the fort.
I mean no disrespect to Clearmasters. At that stage in my turn I wasn't looking for treasure but more baddies to kill. I can't remember if I went down all the way to the magma sea or not.
I don't remember lag there. The player made camps are almost impossible for me to enter though - Herograves and the Shelter are no-go.

I'm planning to have at least a statue chamber for adventurers in Newworld, maybe some for all the gods of Orid Xem and some for the Kings and Queens of each civ.

Within Ashcinders is a statue room which has statues of all adventurers (as of 829) who hail from The Walled Dye, and below, a regal chamber with electrum statues of every monarch of The Walled Dye. Might even find one of Bralbaard...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 24, 2021, 11:01:41 am »

Holy f-, a hollow hunter killed me near Palacework. Well, one week of fortressing it is.

That is unfortunate. Second adventurer in a row that came to an untimely end..

The map has been changing colours since atleast turn 58 probably before. I honestly thought it was changing depending on the season but looking at its certainly interesting. A blight holds these lands

Map colors definitely change according to the season but in this case it looks somewhat weird..
also other in game/ascii characters also appear to be randomized to strange symbols when playing in ascii. Looks like someone used a tile set and did not revert it before posting the save game, but that might not fully show in your game because you are also using a tileset.. Anyhow, this should be fixable.

I don't remember lag there. The player made camps are almost impossible for me to enter though - Herograves and the Shelter are no-go.

Herograves and the shelter work fine for me (in the current save game at least. )
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:06:05 am by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 24, 2021, 12:31:01 pm »

I think the ones who can turn invisible seem to be called Hollow Hunters or Hollow Stalkers.

They are a nightmare to kill since you cannot target them while they are invisible. I had to basically keep throwing arrows at one until I got a lucky shot. Bastard scratched my ear and nose off.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 24, 2021, 09:54:59 pm »

What upsets me most is that he killed me mid-running. It doesn't seem to have been a one-hit kill, since there were at least 2 instances of hitting enter. At the time, I kept hitting enter to realize I was slayed and didn't even take a print. If I hadn't been running (but how could I know something like that was around?), I might have been able to do something. Even if the situation was dire, I could have just flown away.

By the way, interestingly, while Bomrek was wearing what appeared to be "medium" clothes, maybe fitting of a dwarf, my current character, his same race mind you, was wearing "small".

Unrelated, I met Avolition in Boltspumpkin. Apparently, being the King/Law-Giver of a rump state means you live in exile until you get more settlements. I'm somewhat sad that I didn't meet Bralbaard or the goblin outlaw "curator" (and they're still considered outlaws), but I didn't search hard either.

Herograves and the shelter work fine for me (in the current save game at least. )
I have no idea how. It took me between 15 and 30 minutes just to get out of that place's range (see my picture in the above posts).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:57:00 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 24, 2021, 10:23:07 pm »

What upsets me most is that he killed me mid-running. It doesn't seem to have been a one-hit kill, since there were at least 2 instances of hitting enter. At the time, I kept hitting enter to realize I was slayed and didn't even take a print. If I hadn't been running (but how could I know something like that was around?), I might have been able to do something. Even if the situation was dire, I could have just flown away.

By the way, interestingly, while Bomrek was wearing what appeared to be "medium" clothes, maybe fitting of a dwarf, my current character, his same race mind you, was wearing "small".

Unrelated, I met Avolition in Boltspumpkin. Apparently, being the King/Law-Giver of a rump state means you live in exile until you get more settlements. I'm somewhat sad that I didn't meet Bralbaard or the goblin outlaw "curator" (and they're still considered outlaws), but I didn't search hard either.

I have no idea how. It took me between 15 and 30 minutes just to get out of that place's range (see my picture in the above posts).

Those Hollow creatures should awful to face.

Ah interesting, will she has the world changes before my next turn. A comback for this human civilization.

I did meet Bralbaard, not much of a speaker. He was just hanging out ontop of the walls towers. Its a shame risen npcs can't interact outside of controling them directly. I wonder what the two remaining risen Adventurers are up to. Especially Arcturus.

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 24, 2021, 10:30:09 pm »

I mean no disrespect to Clearmasters. At that stage in my turn I wasn't looking for treasure but more baddies to kill. I can't remember if I went down all the way to the magma sea or not.
And I meant no disrespect to Moldath :) It makes sense of the scattered info he has, especially in a world where people still tell you to kill Calovi, Ol' Featherbrain or that they're attacked by Egu though. Information travels slow in Dwarf Fortress worlds.
Within Ashcinders is a statue room which has statues of all adventurers (as of 829) who hail from The Walled Dye, and below, a regal chamber with electrum statues of every monarch of The Walled Dye. Might even find one of Bralbaard...
That sounds great, but after those two forts (and in hindsight, the egg was actually manageable compared to the goblin fort), I've lost my interest in exploring forts outside of Fortress Mode reclaim. The lag literally takes between 30 minutes and 1 hour real-time and that's when I was lucky enough for them not to crash outright.

Ah interesting, will she has the world changes before my next turn. A comback for this human civilization.
Frankly, I don't subscribe to this notion in the real world, but in this case be the change you want to be in the world. Your civ is not going to get back up by itself. You'll have to help it along. I think if the AI sees a civ has only one settlement, it'll never send expeditions to reclaim more, let alone start wars and actually win them. I think Adilatír was built as much by players conquering sites in adventure mode as it was by the fortresses built (ok, so more by the latter, but still; there was some interesting adventurer-based expansion too).

Meanwhile in Boltspumpkin...

Remember this? Meanwhile, in Legends Viewer...
The year was around 830 when I went adventuring, right? Just checking...

I made an interesting, macabre discovery. It's related to the elves and I'm not sure how much of a spoiler it is.

Spoiler: possible spoiler (click to show/hide)

I discovered this after I planned to take over Aweme and guide her to Iroram, found out she was dead, shrugged and thought "Who cares, I'll just get her corpse", then discovered that her corpse is probably in HFS, so I searched for another older than dirt candidate.

As for the humans, Ulet Budoostsi is
the last living chosen necromancer from the dawn of time (there are two more given slabs in the 7th century) and now under Iroram's protection. I'll try to seal her in a chamber before I give the save so she doesn't wander the world again and gets herself killed.

I haven't checked for goblins and dwarves yet, but I don't have time right now. I'll edit tomorrow if anything interesting turns up.

In other news, Eskôn is a mess. The only useful dwarf is Kikrost, a legendary miner, I'm pretty sure our woodcutter ran off with Eskôn's only axe and more than half the 9 remaining dwarves are purple useless nobles or some-such. I even have a consort who flaunts their status for some reason. The good mason is gone too. The layout is also not that great, now that I'm looking back on it, and to top everything off, I discovered that I probably could have toppled that pedestal in adventure mode and brought it to the center of the world. Ugggh. At least it makes for good roleplay, Lurker wouldn't have a place to worship him if the stars didn't align for me to find/settle that place, so it has a place in my heart, I suppose. So I'll play it to give it some pop (migrants-now indeed did not work), then see what the ravages of nonattendance do to Iroram while I'm doing this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 07:22:28 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 26, 2021, 08:38:08 pm »

In other news, Eskôn is a mess. The only useful dwarf is Kikrost, a legendary miner, I'm pretty sure our woodcutter ran off with Eskôn's only axe and more than half the 9 remaining dwarves are purple useless nobles or some-such. I even have a consort who flaunts their status for some reason. The good mason is gone too. The layout is also not that great, now that I'm looking back on it, and to top everything off, I discovered that I probably could have toppled that pedestal in adventure mode and brought it to the center of the world. Ugggh. At least it makes for good roleplay, Lurker wouldn't have a place to worship him if the stars didn't align for me to find/settle that place, so it has a place in my heart, I suppose. So I'll play it to give it some pop (migrants-now indeed did not work), then see what the ravages of nonattendance do to Iroram while I'm doing this.

The migrants do not come in the first year or so, but they do eventually come. I had the same issue with my reclaim. Started with <10 useless dwarfs.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 29, 2021, 08:24:23 am »

I had migrants exactly 6 months after I reclaimed Eskôn, and another wave about a month later. (Roleplay wise) maybe the consort helped? Or the fact the Queen is Kikrost's lover?

Also, ooooooh snap (for kesperan's attention especially)

Fellar's thirsty, look at the dates of those actions. I saw he was labeled as a necromancer and looked like he went through hell and back (I think I fixed both issues... oops?) but I didn't make the connection at all. And those two didn't show up on his in-game kill-list, I checked. First two crimes in Eskôn ever. Now to see about sealing him somewhere. Should I keep him or unseal him once I retire?

After I healed him he was all but flying around the fortress, 2 or 3 times faster than the average dwarf. I don't know how that's even possible, I figured someone modded some superdorf in fortress mode. I guess sealing him in a room with Kikrost so they can share idea(l)s is not such a good idea after all...

Spoiler: More images (click to show/hide)

3 more in-game months and I'm retiring and going back to Iroram. Eskôn is not nearly "complete", but it's got 70 dwarves which should last it for a while. The caves are mostly sealed with doors, the stockpiles are full of statues of Lurker and Moldath if anyone wants to drag something like that, metals and non-native stone is littering the place. Ah, I have to bring in the reptiles, too. Yes, it sounds like a thriving fortress, all things considered.

I checked on Legends Viewer the idea from the previous post. There are still a few goblins from a time before time in Orid Xem. No dwarves. Bralbaard is now exactly the 10th the 12th oldest living (for a definition of such) dwarf in Orid Xem.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:35:17 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 29, 2021, 05:34:32 pm »

Also, ooooooh snap (for kesperan's attention especially)

Fellar's thirsty, look at the dates of those actions. I saw he was labeled as a necromancer and looked like he went through hell and back (I think I fixed both issues... oops?) but I didn't make the connection at all. And those two didn't show up on his in-game kill-list, I checked. First two crimes in Eskôn ever. Now to see about sealing him somewhere. Should I keep him or unseal him once I retire?

After I healed him he was all but flying around the fortress, 2 or 3 times faster than the average dwarf. I don't know how that's even possible, I figured someone modded some superdorf in fortress mode. I guess sealing him in a room with Kikrost so they can share idea(l)s is not such a good idea after all...

Moldath you sneaky git. I retired him in a Adalatir camp and he immediately went to live in the abandoned castle that I claimed for him during my turn. I assumed that meant he wouldn't go off on any more adventures. I am not sure why he seems to do this when, to my knowledge, none of the other player-characters have.

In terms of his speed, he normally sprints at 3.500 or thereabouts, as he has superdwarven agility and never tires.

At least he had the good graces to drain a noble for you.

When you say you have fixed both those issues - did you use DFHack to heal him? Did he lose all his scars and grow his ear and nose back? I dabbled with this on a copy of my save, and no matter how I healed him, the rot would always slowly come back...

You can keep him chained up / sealed indefinately if you want. When you retire the fortress, he will still be playable in adventure mode. I think.

Edit: Just noticed you gave him a nickel silver chain. That's a nice touch!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:40:10 pm by kesperan »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 29, 2021, 05:52:51 pm »

Just noticed you gave him a nickel silver chain. That's a nice touch!
I made it especially for him, though I don't remember if it's before or after he killed that noble. I was content to let him read until I retired in the library, but then he just had to go and drain that noble. I resurrected Asen (so he didn't actually "kill" Asen and he could "testify"), made him sheriff for the irony of it and he dragged his "killer" into that dank blood thorn-infested cave himself. I saw it fitting.

The making of the chain was freaky, I had a dwarf assigned for it, then he went and got possessed in the middle of making it. So I made another metalcrafting workshop, assigned someone else to make it. The possessed dwarf ended making a silver splint around the same time the chain was made by my backup dwarf. And I had a caravan at about that time too. Was a very busy time of the year.

I have a whole idea of Kikrost (the expedition leader), being obsessed with immortality without the trappings of necromancing or vampirism (it's in his fortress that started the immortal animals campaign), would try to get as much information from someone who's both a vampire and necro. It'd also explain why he barely got 3 years for killing 3 dwarves, Kikrost must have pulled strings to be lenient on him.

Edit: Asen seems to be a male, actually. And a war veteran and/or hero. I'm even more glad for my actions now. His wife's a countess and a ticking time bomb blighted thrall in the capital. That's not good.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 06:01:07 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 29, 2021, 07:36:24 pm »

I have just realised that if Moldath has migrated to your fort, he will have AGAIN lost all of his steel and adamantine armour and his masterwork bone crafts. And probably Godenrigoth as well. Hmm. This is most vexing. Anyone have any suggestions on how I get him to STAY PUT and stop going off on adventures to player forts?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 29, 2021, 10:48:56 pm »

Thanks for the info, nice find. It's fitting then that such a creature becomes Lady of the Shelter of Adventurers (and it appears she's also a diplomat for Boltspumpkin, at least role-playing wise).

And the Ugly and the Hideous... this game almost tugs at my heart-strings with its naming conventions of what turn out to be our heroes.

I just realized I never posted the end of my last turn, which I'll endeavour to do when I'm back home. I gave her my title as the lord of the Shelter of Adventurers at the end of my last turn. I originally found her in an abandoned worldgen fort and she was my companion for most of my first turn, back in 726/727. She's just been hanging out at the Shelter since then.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:52:43 pm by Glloyd »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 263