Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 410006 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1440 on: December 30, 2021, 12:31:50 am »

Moldath sure loves his forts. I guess it's a blessing and a curse. He is always moving to the active fort and generating history but I can see that being vexing. As for stopping this, Try joining a different civ or worse case scenario, just go kill the walled dye ahaha. I think it's a quirk of being a dwarven vampire and Moldath spotting migrants and just wanting to instantly blend in.

Looking forward to seeing what else has happened in your turn Lurker

Also nice to see we will get an ending to your story. It's interesting as she mostly just hides in a tower at boltspumpkin.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 30, 2021, 03:18:31 pm »

OOC: Disclaimer: The following character's views do not reflect mine, the author's. I mention this because Lurker's personality mostly aligned with me (I wanted all goblins dead, I wanted Thillecit back into Omon Obin hands, I wanted Omon Obin to be great again etc.) I'll try to play Urdim completely in character here.

Urdim "Fishringed" Tatloshathel seethed. This was not new to her. Urdim had hated much of her life. She's hated Cog for daring to consider herself her master. She hated the adventurers that, true, set her free, but then ransacked her "mistress"' tower. She'd then had the unpleasent surprise to start hating her own people when they feared her, feared her status. The 500th named Soldier of Night. She hated them when they choose that oaf Bomrek to make the journey in the name of their civilization with only a goofy smile on his face and nothing but the clothes on his back.

She didn't... hate Bomrek, exactly. She couldn't fault him for trying to leave into the world. And it wasn't like he took her birthright by his own choice. Yes, Urdim seethed even as he left, but not at him, but at the fools around him. They couldn't get the 1000th of them, because his loyalties were to Quogubpesor and even if that place wasn't ruled by goblins and a war-torn place besides.

The worst thing was, besides Bomrek taking her rightful place, besides even him getting killed along the way - though she never wished that fate upon him - was that after he left, her visions changed. She had been gifted, perhaps even before gaining her freedom, and saw what they used to be and what they must do. Yet, things had changed now. Perhaps they were meant to change, perhaps not. But she had seen herself taking the reigns of her true ancestral home, Kosothducim. She had seen the build of Iroram, but not under the banner of the ascendant Adilatír, but of Dalzatèzum. The center of the world was hers, it was her idea, yet her own kin had feared she'd gain power over them, become the new Cog. Shortsighted fools! Now her birthright - both of them - were outside her reach. But she'd change that, soon, their approval or not.

They'd rejoiced when she'd described Bomrek planting the flag of The Banner of Liberty on Kosothducim soil. Yet, no news had come since she'd seen him lie down and just... stop. Did the fool get drunk in that filthy tavern and... what? Could her kind even get drunk?

But then some new, strange news came. Some fool dwarves had decided to build a fortress near them, not strong Adilatír, but the other ones. That, however, presented an opportunity. An opportunity indeed. She'd leave whether her kin accepted it or not, she'd take her trusty copper short sword, bronze shield and her bronze breastplate with the symbol of Dalzatèzum in tanzanite.

And as she left, one thought flew through her seething mind: they better pray they had the bins and bags she saw in her vision, or she'd bring that place into the ground!

OOC: I had this written when I first got the game. There's not much to tell of the adventure. After my horrendous approach to Usligistra, I just avoided civilization altogether and brought the copy of a book to Boltspumpkin, it signifies the Soldiers of Night's understanding that they're reincarnated souls of dwarves.

My submission (it amazingly stayed where I dropped it, on the south-west corner of the first floor of the Museum) is The Dwarves for Everyone (copy). Unfortunately, Urdim couldn't read, so the contents might not be what she thinks they are...

The biggest thing I'm proud of (besides reaching the museum with an offering) is killing a polar bear 1 vs. 1 in the wilds. I also killed a goblin who was wandering around Iroram. The map says there are a few more "stars" around the fortress, but I didn't want to risk my adventurer at that time.

I was planning to get Bomrek to Iroram to get resurrected by my resident necro, but that's how it ended.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 31, 2021, 07:41:12 am »

Shame about your short adventures again Lurker. These re-incarnated dwarves can't catch a break. Sounds like you are about ready to upload the save?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 31, 2021, 08:16:02 am »

In a few hours. I haven't done all I've wanted to accomplish.

A major problem were crashes in fortress mode. I had two crashes with r5, then searched for LNP update, found the r6, then had 2 crashes with it.

I still have some tidying up to do, to wall off the creatures that I don't want running out of my fort (I've read somewhere, I think in this thread even, that if you don't give creatures any physical way to leave a closed room, they won't leave while off-map). Maybe that's how you can lock up Moldath. Maybe even in adventure mode, just go in a room with only one entrance, then either
Code: [Select]
paint shape wall or
liquids o around the entrance. And yes, I checked on your suspicion, Moldath is indeed missing all his artifacts. He's got the rest of his bling on, though.

For Bralbaard, Urdim is the first to have visited the Free the Eggs fortress.

Next time I'm playing, I'll steal some legendaries from other forts, Armok knows I've raised enough of them just to run away in the world. Raising skills is so annoying, slow and gives low quality items. I won't be able to do that "hall of adventurer statues" idea this turn, at the very least.

Good news and sad news for Omon Obin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good news (for me), it's not my fault animals marry each other, they've been doing it for decades before I even got a turn.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

That's a relief. I might only be responsible for animals settling by their own (and even that might have happened before).

Speaking of, it's Clearmasters that was the originator of the immortal pets (also has an artifact named The Immortal Cat, fitting, I made the connection much later), my headcannon is that Rovod the Expedition Leader of Iroram learned the secret of giving immortality without the associated curses from correspondence with Kikrost.

Save's up: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15802

Submission: The Dwarves for Everyone (copy) by Urdim Tatloshathel, 500th Soldier of Night, prophetess of Dalzatèzum reborn.

Player forts visited: Eshim Acob / "Free the Eggs".

Happy New Year, everybody!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:41:26 am by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 31, 2021, 12:16:25 pm »

Guess it's my turn then. Let me just download the save and... it's 2.5 GB now?! Jeez, I hope there's not some kind of exponential growth going on.

I probably don't have time this week for anything too fancy, but I'll do my best.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 31, 2021, 12:18:15 pm »

Noticed something weird in the newest save when exported to LegendsViewer - the top of the Adventurers list has suddenly been filled out by four apparent NPCs, displacing the actual player characters. Anyone else seeing this?

Also: good luck with your turn, NGN, and a happy new year to everyone in the thread!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 31, 2021, 12:27:00 pm »

Yeah, I took them over to take them to Iroram, I hope it's not a problem? I wanted some elves and the last necromancer and visitors weren't coming as much as I'd have liked. The troll and the elf-turned-Cthulhu would have probably been killed in the wild, so I took pity on them and trekked them there too. I want a multi-species fort, the more ancient and unique, the better. I'm planning to eventually

Guess it's my turn then. Let me just download the save and... it's 2.5 GB now?! Jeez, I hope there's not some kind of exponential growth going on.

I probably don't have time this week for anything too fancy, but I'll do my best.
Glad you were on to see it's your turn, good luck NGN!

I'm looking now at some of the save archives, turn 52 to 54 spiked from 183 megas to 239, turn 57 went down to 195, turn 58 was 269 and it stabilized around there, with my turn 66 being 276. No idea what's causing this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:46:06 pm by Lurker Z »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 31, 2021, 12:39:04 pm »

Yeah, I took them over to take them to Iroram, I hope it's not a problem? I wanted some elves and the last necromancer and visitors weren't coming as much as I'd have liked. The troll and the elf-turned-Cthulhu would have probably been killed in the wild, so I took pity on them and trekked them there too. I want a multi-species fort, the more ancient and unique, the better.
Don't think that'll be a problem, was just wondering why they'd suddenly shown up in LV. That fort does sound like a pretty good idea, ngl.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 31, 2021, 03:47:06 pm »

I think we need to be careful to stick to the ethos of the game and the rules that Bralbaard defined.

There has been quite a lot of DFHackery in recent turns with UnretireAnyone, people retiring and unretring multiple forts, multiple adventurers per turn... we don't want anything to screw up the world too much.

One of the rules was that we shouldn't attack/kill fellow adventurers intentionally; does that include the NPCs that we have "taken over" using UnretireAnyone?

The core of the game is that you create your adventurer, grab something for the Museum, then create a fort. Let's not lose sight of that.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 31, 2021, 04:08:41 pm »

I think it only applies to adventurers of the Museum and Museum personnel as defined by Bralbaard. That list in Legends Mode is more or less meaningless except for us to find adventurers faster.

I'd like that people won't kill my refugees, but I can't force them to do it. And as the past shows, resurrected adventurers tend to attack living adventurers, resulting in their redeath XD as my own Lurker Onecbehal had happen to him. Nobody makes a case out of these things if it's not intentional, especially that there may be people that join that don't know off-hand the rest of the adventurers (as the case was, Moldath was lucky that I'm not necro-kill-happy or vamp-kill-happy if he appeared as killing those people, but someone might have arranged an "accident" without knowing he's adventurer, the kind where the body doesn't survive, and that's part of the game.)

From what I remember, Bralbaard did ok us doing adventurer stuff after we finished our main adventurer quest one way or another, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. The way I see it, moving people and items to our forts through adventurer mode is just a continuation of improving our forts for future visitations. I completely concede that this is my personal view and may not reflect our game-master's take on things.

Sure, the appearance of random NPCs in Legends Viewer might scare at first view, but as long as there are no other consequences, we should see it as just a cosmetic bug.

The big problem is probably modding, because that replaces files back and forth and mistakes/corruption/other things might happen. But dfhack is generally a stable, well-tested and well-maintained tool.

Again, this is just my own opinion and I'm open to restrictions if it is proven some dfhack actions hurt the save.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 31, 2021, 04:08:57 pm »

And yes, I checked on your suspicion, Moldath is indeed missing all his artifacts. He's got the rest of his bling on, though.

How strange. I loaded up adventure mode on your turn 66 save, and could select "Moldath Mournsaints from Eskon" - he spawned at your trade depot, still in his hidden identity, but with all of his armour and equipment intact. Which is a bonus! Just have to hope he can look after them for the next 50+ years until my turn comes round again...

I totally get where you are coming from Lurker.

If Moldath ends up in someone elses fort in the next few turns before I can come up with a solution, the player in question should be able to recognise him by the fact that he is:
1. A necromancer vampire
2. A fell one
3. Has no nose or left ear and continually rots

It should be easy enough to then contain him somehow (nickel silver chains are his personal favourite) or, alternatively, banish him from the fort. I would prefer that he wasn't killed as I still have some plans for him...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:11:52 pm by kesperan »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 31, 2021, 05:38:03 pm »

I don't go out of my way to kill adventurers but some like our good uncle snail were instantly hostile and try to fight you. The undead adventurers make it hard to sneak off from them too. Did make up for it by bringing some back.

Forgotten beasts increasing might be that there are more in generation that are just being discovered or i recall somewhere that forgetten beasts can continue to generate (this is likely untrue but i recall hearing it before)

From my understanding the adventurers for the museum are the main priority and that outside of that, you can use your week to explore the world, work on a fort and pass the time. I do admit that i will retire my adventurer pick up the fort for a bit, let time pass and resume my adventure. If that is against the rules, i can stop doing that.

Well if i see Moldath, i will try to banish him. If not lock him away. I just have a feeling that you banish him and then next wave of dwarves and simular looking chap will turn up requesting entry

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 31, 2021, 05:38:53 pm »

On the off-chance that you haven't already started your turn NoGoodNames, I have uploaded a tweaked version of the save - the only difference being I have moved my adventurer Moldath from his captivity in Clearmasters to a nearby human town.

If you have already started, feel free to ignore this!

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15803

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 31, 2021, 07:11:45 pm »

If Moldath ends up in someone elses fort in the next few turns before I can come up with a solution, the player in question should be able to recognise him by the fact that he is:
1. A necromancer vampire
2. A fell one
3. Has no nose or left ear and continually rots
That's nice and all you posting here these, but the next few turns will be 10+ pages after, which not everyone new will see (or remember if they just skim the thread).

My suggestion stands, lock him up in a room, wall off all the ways in or out.

As for keeping his gear, there must be some shenanigans going on. It might be that for all appearances, as it seems now, Fortress Mode and Adventurer Mode are completely different games that happen to share the same .exe, the same tilesets and the same worlds. I know I checked the instance right before I retired Eskon and he had no artifacts on him, so the game must remember characters that come to fortresses in one way and probably keeps the memory of the adventurer as different data. Nothing else makes sense.

Somewhat off-topic for this conversation, but relevant to the thread, is something I think I mentioned before. I had an instance where a blighted thrall came from Omon Obin as a Guild Representative with the caravan. I healed him with DFHack, all was well, he left off the map, then returned next year... once again blighted. I healed him again. I should probably check if he's still infected, alive or if he died a thrall.

Another instance is that I gave Urwa Nihdesana immortality through DFHack while in adventure mode, yet he died of old age none-the-less. On the other hand, the game remembers the immortality I give to creatures that go between fortresses.

My point is that the game remembers things weirdly.

Out of curiosity, is Moldath still rotting or did my miracle heal stick? And is he still missing body parts? I used
full-heal -rso everything should have been healed.

From my understanding the adventurers for the museum are the main priority and that outside of that, you can use your week to explore the world, work on a fort and pass the time. I do admit that i will retire my adventurer pick up the fort for a bit, let time pass and resume my adventure. If that is against the rules, i can stop doing that.
The way I see it, the risk's completely on you, as if you completed your quest and you continue, you risk losing your adventurer, so the risk-reward is on you.

Forgotten beasts increasing might be that there are more in generation that are just being discovered or i recall somewhere that forgetten beasts can continue to generate (this is likely untrue but i recall hearing it before)
No forgotten beast has generated since World Activation, that I can tell you for certain. Despite its limitations and occasional mix-ups, Legends Viewer shows creatures in the order of generation and the last one is shown to be created in 166 ATBT (though it's known to retcon newly created creatures). But I'm pretty sure if we compare the number with the number in the 1st save, there's no change.

Edit: There are two new entries, but they're just resurrected named body-parts of a dead FB.

As a side note, I don't think we need to worry about no longer having forgotten beasts (unless they're locked in a fortress or other with no way out), there are still
living forgotten beasts in the world. That means in almost a century and a half barely
of them were killed. That's in some ways both a large and a small number, but it probably means we're not going to finish them off for as long as the game keeps being played unless someone really wants to force the issue.

The other megabeasts are steadily going extinct, however.

Well if i see Moldath, i will try to banish him. If not lock him away. I just have a feeling that you banish him and then next wave of dwarves and simular looking chap will turn up requesting entry
Again, personal preference, but I've avoided raids (which seem to have been done successfully and with no stated problems in this save so far) and exiles like the plague, because of the horror stories I hear the bugs cause.

Read the wiki article on emigration, it outright states
This feature has one or more outstanding bugs.
and
Dwarves who are expelled may return; this is a known bug which will be fixed in future versions.

Also that section on the DFHack method is probably outdated, I've had a 10+ comment conversation on their GitHub and they were "threatening" to remove the option if the problem wasn't resolved. The issue was, the unhappy dwarves stayed as visitors, eating and drinking you out of house of home while not doing anything else and, more importantly, not leaving. As far as I know, not game-crashing or anything, but still, something that might have forced you to retire to fix the bug (and I'm not sure it can be fixed just by retiring and reclaiming).

Therefore, note to the thread's readers, be careful with these actions unless you're certain there won't be long-term consequences.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:59:37 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 31, 2021, 07:27:27 pm »

Happy new year all.

Dfhack fullheal is personaly something i wouldnt do. Kinda opens another can of worms. If i recall it also removes undead and vamperism from dwarves.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 263