Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409413 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1635 on: February 15, 2022, 03:15:04 pm »

It really is something special isn't it? I recall very early on in my first turn here, as Galka Linarad, after crawling my way out of the deep earth, beside a river I had stumbled upon a dwarf corpse. The curiosity got the better of me and I investigated, learning that it belonged to one of the first adventurers of the Museum. One of Imic's. I recall entombed him at the nearby shrine. It was a small moment, but such things add so much for me.

I have a deep desire to see this game last a 1000 years of adventuring. Though I fear DF will not be able to handle it.
I've lost control of my life.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 15, 2022, 03:24:07 pm »

Yeah, i recall with my first turn with Holyblood followong someone elses trail towards the elven lands, which each site having these bone carvings. Honestly i want to see the world atleast kill all the forgotten beasts and get to an age of three powers.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 15, 2022, 08:33:18 pm »

Yeah, on my first turn I accidentally stumbled across the corpse of Eric Blank, along with his living companions. On a later turn I necromancer'ed someone's adventurer alive without even realising that it was an adventurer. It's funny the things you can run into, and both those were less than a hundred years in. I'm sure there's stuff all over now.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 16, 2022, 04:17:01 am »

Side note, do we actually have a reanimating biome anywhere in the world? I may wish to form my next fortress therein.

The island to the north, where Homesafe the Shrine of Guarding is located, allegedly has thralling mist clouds. So that could be !!FUN!! for a challenge.

Having dived into the .sav: SECRET_RES_POWER_98_1 seems to refer to the Gaunt Zombie's ability to cause necrosis in most tissues (isn't that the same thing Moldath had?), so my guess is that the horse got hit with it for some reason and then was offloaded before it could wear off (hence why it eventually carked it from old age).

Spoiler: Code for context (click to show/hide)

That is one of the possible causes for Moldath's Curse. I haven't been able to pin it down at all, despite using various DFHack commands. I first noticed it after drinking demon blood from an adamantine axe in Ironwards so assumed that was the cause. I am not sure if Moldath had encountered any Gaunt Zombies by that point, but its a reasonable suggestion.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 16, 2022, 05:42:48 am »

I believe it does, I had a similar experience with an undead at my newest fort. He was perpetually bleeding, rotting and needing surgery. Its how I got legendary +5 surgeon and was a good method for training medical skills, it was the same with Moldath but he was able to move and had brief moments of not rotting.

Drunken scholar

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 16, 2022, 05:01:03 pm »

eyyy been a while since i been on bay 12 and stuff still active, again making sure i don't miss my turn again, sorry for not being that active much been playing some space station 13 ever since i became a mentor for a ss13 server that recently came out and i really enjoy but yeah
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 17, 2022, 02:13:39 pm »

Regarding Legends Viewer, I've encountered a problem myself. I've found through Google how to fix it, maybe this helps you, Unraveller (and anyone else who might have LV crashes):

Code: [Select]
To delete temporary files:

In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, and select Disk Cleanup from the list of results.
    Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.
    Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    Select OK.
You have to be sure to select Temporary Files and ONLY that (there are some other things in these, you need to unselect them), then press OK on the bottom left.

It might be placebo, but I think LV is now also running a lot, LOT faster for me (but it could be that I manually deleted the files in its own cache too in \LNP\utilities\Legends Viewer\temp).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 02:17:52 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 17, 2022, 03:54:11 pm »

I decided to play a wolf man as they are able to wear things sized for dwarves. Seemed like a reliable choice considering the number of dwarven settlements in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Entry One
For as far back as I can remember I have been in this town. I always dreamed of being a famous singer, but er...well. I'm not very talented. But the people around here never gave me a chance! Anytime I opened my mouth it was always a joke about howling! Well, one day I will change their minds. Like anyone in this tumultuous times I've learned combat and I'll have you know that I am what the great blademasters of the land call "Competent" with my copper sword. High praise for sure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So where do I start?

Oh no. I have to get out of here! But...I don't like these people, but I can't just leave them to die! My faithful dog friend Zon and I decide to go around town trying to persuade others to come with us to...somewhere.
They all tell me no. Come to think of it I noticed that this town, which is very well populated compared to most, is made up entirely of merchants.
My pleading falls on deaf ears, and one man tells me of another human who is trying to save us named Shebi Airage. When I asked him to know more he said he didn't know who I was talking about...I hate this place

I decide to head to the castle to take my plea to the mayor or at least learn if there was a plan in place! There were only a couple of town guards and none of them had armor or weapons and so I definitely had no desire for a heroic last stand!

As I crept around to the main building I found a dead man...Fresh....ish? No sign of decay as far as I could tell, but I'm a musician not a doctor.
I walk inside and in the middle of the castle is the corpse of the largest creature I've ever seen in my whole entire life! Just lying there in the middle of the floor covered in ooze.

So...that's why the town wasn't doing anything. The merchants were trusting that someone would do something and those that would are dead, but what happened here? In front of the beast lay treasure. I picked up a masterwork bone crown and put it on
Amongst the treasure I found an ear
Who's ear was this?
as I looked upon it in my mind I saw flashes of glory. Of different adventurers fighting great beasts or claiming great treasures and bringing it to some...place? A museum. THE Museum!
I shook myself out of it and looked around, but not before packing the ear into my bag. Who knows maybe someone will want it and it can't hurt me.
I looked upon my plain village clothing, my cotton mask and headveil and then the armor lying there. I had no skill with armor and it would slow me down, but I would stand far better chance out in the dangerous wilds with armor then trusting my ability to flee.

Wait, I was going to leave? Yes...to the museum? I found my hand subconsciously drawn to my bag. That's right! The most safe place in the world for me was that museum. I could find patronage there, but I needed to bring them a tribute....

I left with new dwarven armor, a dwarven steel shortsword and bronze warhammer on my back. I tried to perform for more townsfolk to see if my beautiful voice would persuade them all, but none of them took me seriously or wanted to have anything to do with me.
I decided to try my luck with the gods

OH

Was it the ear? Did I anger the gods by taking someone's ear and armor? I quickly reached into the bag to throw it and all my new gear to the ground, but suddenly felt calm...no no that would be ridiculous why would an ear matter? I need to bring tribute to the museum!

On my way out I noticed that all the statues in town depict different people screaming or begging the gods to show mercy as they are cursed to wander the lands as vampires. Very morbid.

From there I and Zon set forth into the wilds heading south-southwest... problem being that I ran out of food!
I've been stalking through the woods on foot for a long time now and I've run into no creatures. I might just be a city wolf, but I'm pretty sure nature isn't supposed to be this...quiet?
I run into a couple packs of ravens and I even tried my luck killing one, but turns out they weren't edible(butcherable).

I ran out of food today and I'm hungry. Me and Zon keep wandering the woods heading south looking for any creature in the forest. There's nothing but kestrels and ravens. My stomach growls and I pet Zon for support.

How will I ever find tribute for the Museum if I can't even find a meal?!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 17, 2022, 04:24:49 pm »

If you didn’t already know, that ear was torn from Bralbaard by a demon in the year 712, so it’s been lying there for about 145 years. It might be a bit mouldy…
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:49:24 pm by kesperan »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 17, 2022, 04:26:26 pm »

If you didn’t ready know, that ear was torn from Bralbaard by a demon in the year 712, so it’s been lying there for about 145 years. It might be a bit mouldy…

Oh I didn't know the year, but I pieced it together! Weirdly none of the corpses are showing signs of decay.
If charcoal brutes could be resurrected from the dead someone could re-release a terrible evil on the world! Not that I just admitted to thinking about that.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 17, 2022, 04:39:32 pm »

Clearly the dark magicks of Urus preserved the later-king's ear in a type of stasis. Beware wolf man! You know not what you hold!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 17, 2022, 04:48:52 pm »

The eternal ear, always listening. Great write up Maloy. Interested to see if there is more or if the wolf man ends here

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 18, 2022, 05:44:43 pm »

Clearly the dark magicks of Urus preserved the later-king's ear in a type of stasis. Beware wolf man! You know not what you hold!
The ear Chose Me!

The eternal ear, always listening. Great write up Maloy. Interested to see if there is more or if the wolf man ends here
Thank you! I'm hoping he makes it too!

Also quick thing I said I picked up a bronze warhammer but I just misremembered as I typed it was an axe. Little fix for those who already read it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I began my next day starving with only my faithful canine companion Zon for support.
I found a fort and hoped to find food. It was filled with humans, but no food here. I think there must be a regional famine that I wasn't made aware of.

I had heard about some sort of plague in the area, maybe it was killing all the animals off? Either way all I found was a book.

Maybe this could be tribute? The ear expressed dissatisfaction with it though.
I wandered west into the wasteland. a barren and dead land seemed a good place to starve to death. I stopped at a river on the way, but lo and behold!

On the other side of the river was a snapping turtle! It began to "Run" at the sight of me. I'm no good swimmer on the best of days and the fast flowing river might just drown me, but I simply had no choice!

I jumped as far as I could across and landed in and swam/floundered with all speed to the end! By the time I crawled onto land again the turtle had almost reached a pond some distance away and I ran as if possessed!
I stabbed the turtle's leg with my sword and hurt it, but it managed to launch itself into the pond.

Truly a battle of life and death for me as this was my last chance to eat before starvation I plunged in after it! I swung again and again unskillfully with my axe as I tried not to inhale water

finally, I beheaded it. I quickly grabbed the whole carcass, now spouting blood into the pond, and hauled it onto shore and caught my breath.
I had lived! I killed what could have been one of the only animals left in this land, but I would survive!
In all honesty I've always been squeamish about blood and especially about eating organs, but in this moment I didn't care and took every bit of the turtle with me.

I decided to carve its bones. Despite Zon's constant optimism and the assurances of the Ear I felt very confident I wouldn't survive this journey and so I left marks so that I might be remembered
Figurines of me!  I left one in the area I killed the turtle in and set off!

Further south I ran into what  looked like a makeshift camp. I decided to try my luck and get nearer. Hopefully if they were bandits they would not see me.
As I drew near I found the only thing I've found since I began this journey: Death.
The entire site was filled with skeletons of men. Tatters of clothing still clinging to them, but surrounded by bags and chests of goods.
I searched through and found the largest treasure in my life! Thousands upon thousands of coins and human sized armors and weapons.

I took all the gold coins I could carry and left the rest, many thousands still, in the bags for others. I didn't necessarily earn this money and couldn't carry it all so it seemed fair to leave it for future scavengers. Either way I could comfortably trade for what was needed now. Or perhaps this would make a good...tribute?

The Ear said the treasure would be acceptable tribute, but I had not earned it myself. Bummer. On top of the hill was another corpse, but not so old. It was still fresh and freshly pulped. Maybe someone fought here over the treasure? Perhaps some magic kept this man from wasting away, maybe he was this band's leader?  Either way I thanked him for the spare change and left him a sculpture of myself before departing.

I settled in for the day in a mirthful forest. Similarly empty other than the ravens which seemed to follow me. It was serene and a good place to sit and think.
I was feeling quite miserable. My town was likely torched by now and this museum seemed so far away. In fact, I had no clue where I was going. I was a novice reader at best and I struggled with maps. All I've found on the whole journey was death and confusion.
Zon comforted me by reminding me of our successes so far.
Surely by now some of these items I have acquired would make fitting tribute? The Ear grumbled in reply, but I decided to ignore him. I still had plenty of time to find something on the way!
If I could find my way....

----------------------------------------
I'm for real lost lol
Adventure mode map is a struggle for me. I've got one last part to write up and wolf man is done, but so far I'm at the castle of Peakbees trying to just hurry up and get there!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 18, 2022, 06:18:07 pm »

All things considered there's something I find really cozy about your current turn Maloy. And I can't even begin to describe how much I thoroughly enjoy the fact that your Wolf Man has a loyal pet doggo. Also the leaving of figurines around is really nice touch, as we mentioned before I LOVE finding the leftovers of other players' presences.

I don't mean to take any spotlight away from your turn Maloy, but I finally managed to sit down and write up my very brief adventure just earlier. One that I couldn't devote anywhere near enough of the time I should have to, and so I allowed it to fall into ruin. . . Regardless I hope something good came from it. Here it is, the Tale of Amala Camelaisa;

Ye, o ye, whom dwell 'midst Lålthocit,
'Neathe the shadows of Mucka's kin,
Ye, o ye, whom stalk Besmonal,
'Neathe shadow of mountains tall,
Ye, o, ye, 'midst Porebwimad mired,
Young stray of purpose tired,

Bereft of home, bereft of kin,
You whom say, 'an orphan 'midst this din',
Know that you spit lies, you spit slander,
Yea, a lesson is learnt from thine candor
What is family whenst blood runs dry?
'Tis a feeling that hearts do tie.

For she, the bounteous ocean her great mother,
The sheltering mountains her honored father,
For without pause they provide, they protect,
And all they ask is thine respect,
Yet it is her dear elder sister she holds closest to her chest,
A giant, great-horned owl of feathered breast.

Knows she as Mucka by her name,
Unknown to her a god of man, the very same,   
Deigned was she in those times forgotten,
Beyond the isle, her memories rotten.
So they go to reclaim what's been lost,
Ungsmabungmo abaft, but just so -- a great cost.

Mucka's feathered wings beat and glide,
Shading the ocean 'neath their stride,
A day passes, or two perhaps,
Familiar sea breeze rushing past,
The beast of burden is slow to tire,
But now even she's of smoldering fire.

Just then as luck would have the orphan cries,
"Mucka! Land ahead, don't falter now you need only fly!"
So fly she did and land as well,
Upon dark shores where sea did swell,
This land appeared no different than her island home,
Yet with endless paths for which to roam.

A sight stood out to the girl -- a house, a wooden spike!
Could within dwell vibrant life?
She gathered her courage and wrangled her steed.
Ghoulcreek, the Raven of Whips, a hall of mead.
But whence she round the corner her heart did flutter,
A blighted monster returned her gaze with a mutter.

Upon the grass and at her side,
A gleaming morningstar had caught her eye,
At unnatural speed the dead dwarf lunged,
And so she rolled, her body plunged,
In the young girl's hands the artifact rose,
To defend her body from mortal blows.

The weapon had grown weary and betrayed its master,
The ghoul spat a curse and redoubled faster,
Grace of gods were with the girl thence,
Her body intact and nary rent,
Had Mucka not swept her up and taken flight,
She would have surely fallen to the blight

The giant owl fled with haste,
The orphan's head spun with soured taste,
Could all the beings of Orid Xem,
Be as bile and sickly phlegm?
She couldn't say as she held Okirramtak tight,
Then in the distance rose another sight.

A spire of stone and trenched pits,
Built by those of devious wit,
At her heed Mucka set upon the top,
With what stood before her, that heart did stop,
Okirramtak shuddered within her hands,
It washed away her unselfish plans.

With one step forth she rose the hammer,
The green men cowered, their words did stammer,
Her malice grew with a rain of strikes,
Bloody and violent, retribution of the likes,
Pain flooded her head of forgotten days,
These evil goblin slavers, they would pay!

None were spared upon the tower's height,
Mucka circled in abject fright,
But the possessed girl was nary done,
A wicked smile, she was having fun,
Another spire, another field,
Deep within the earthen weald

When all was said and finished,
A field of bone, of gore, a sinful grimace,
She clattered to her knees amidst the death,
All her will exhausted and drawn of breath,
Only then had she come to,
Mucka's body 'midst the stew.

She shook her sister's feathered down,
Stained of crimson, her tears did drown,
She cursed this world of mercy bereft,
How she wished they'd never left,
So the girl could do not but weep,
Lay midst the scene, in her sorrow steep.

Even still she could not discard that vile mace,
For now its bloodlust was just aslake,
Mucka rode she as she did her
She swam for days, for weeks ablur
They say the oceans rose from her eternal tears,
Engulfing her in mortal fears.

Entombed dear Mucka upon Lålthocit,
And then she leapt, this life did quit,
'Twas the tale of Amala Camelaisa,
No hero, no villain, no shining messiah.
What lesson you ask, from this we can learn?
There are none, this world -- Orid Xem I spurn.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 18, 2022, 07:48:00 pm »

Dude, that was haunting.

Love the different styles in people's turns. It makes my simple diary entries look rather bland... poor Mucka and poor Amala.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 263