Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409431 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1710 on: March 08, 2022, 09:18:03 am »

If thats not allowed, i won't do it again. I just saw it as passing the time during the week.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: March 08, 2022, 09:38:55 am »

Before I start, nobody should take anything here personal, the rules are rather complex, and it's expected that some differences in interpretation of those rules exist. It is helpfull to to have issues with the rules pointed out every now and then to make sure that everyone is treated fairly and that the game can continue to move forward.

About the issue at hand, playing multiple adventurers after each other is not the intention. I think in this case only the story of the plump helmet man was published?
There have been earlier issues with this though,  I know that at some point we also had a case where a new character died, and the player wrote his story from the perspective of an earlier adventurer . This was for roleplay reasons, (it was stated that the old adventurer had found the journal, and that this was the reason the story of the newer adventurer had survived). This was more or less fine as the older adventurer did not have much of an impact on the world, and only travelled to the location and back, but you can imagine that if that older adventurer had gone on to kill the law givers of two civilisations and the last dragon, it would not be ok.  It is clear therefore that you quickly get into grey areas.

The best and most fair solution I think is to just not play multiple characters in succession, at all or to ask when in doubt. It is worth pointing out though that we are always having these discussions after the fact because save games and write ups are mostly completed after the adventure is done. There is no good way to deal with enforcement of rules, and I also do not want to spend my time on that.
I'm happy if stuff moves forward in the general spirit of the rules, there is no way it's all going to be perfect, but having a (short) discussion every now and then helps!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:48:09 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: March 08, 2022, 09:58:50 am »

It was needed, glad for the clarification of the rules and I appologise for the extra adventures.

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: March 08, 2022, 10:09:47 am »

Avolition Holyblood's kill count isn't accurate on QD's table - it looks like he joined the fort of Falsetower in 853, drained 23 dwarves of blood, then went on another goblin slaying rampage during Avolitions last turn in the year 858 (the one with the penguin man and mushroom people, who died in 849).
Thanks for pointing that out - didn't notice. It's been updated with the latest general figures from LV (going to get the specific ones later).
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: March 08, 2022, 10:12:15 am »

It was needed, glad for the clarification of the rules and I appologise for the extra adventures.

No problem  :). I wrote that wall of text then found out that you had already posted a reply to Kesperan. There was probably no real need anymore for the clarification from my side, but my finger was already on the post button, so don't read to much into it.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:21:24 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: March 08, 2022, 10:29:28 am »

We can still take our former adventurers to new places just to settle while avoiding "real adventures" if in any way possible, right?

I was planning to start with a new adventurer and after it was finished, to get my old ones, whoever I find (un)living to my fort at the center of the world.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: March 08, 2022, 10:32:40 am »

We can still take our former adventurers to new places just to settle while avoiding "real adventures" if in any way possible, right?

I was planning to start with a new adventurer and after it was finished, to get my old ones, whoever I find (un)living to my fort at the center of the world.

That sounds reasonable. I think we even did something like that to Moldath as well because he kept being relocated by the game?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: March 10, 2022, 04:20:19 am »

"Moldath III", Part II, Turn 73

21st Moonstone 859

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The new queen may have a mission for me - rout the remaining Scholarly Manors. I thought I already had?
Ral Diamondoiled is a miner by trade, and I find her clinging to the rocky spire that forms the centre of this fort.
The general is a bit shifty but I recognise in him a kindred spirit.

He is mangled and shattered, and is missing his nose and right ear, much as I am.
I decide he is not a threat, unlike the slavering ghouls of Treatyseed. Perhaps some can resist the urges of the blight?

I leave Stockadeoutrage and head east across the frozen tundra.
In the dead of night I am attacked by a night creature - a skinless humanoid with a trunk.
Osman Ashtunnel the Shady Cavern of Umbras is spattered with snow and wields a copper knife.
I slash at it and Godenrigoth tastes its first blood in many years. Its foul trunk sails away.

Godenrigoth is then wedged firm in the creatures chest but it refuses to let go!
Finally, after I tear its neck with my teeth and hack its head with my spare axe, it finally relinqushes my scimitar, as it bleeds to death.
I continue east, and encounter a troll fleeing from a fort on the horizon. I quickly put it down.
It is still night when I arrive at Sealsabres, and encounter a goblin lurking by the entrance.

Inside the fort is an expansive and well appointed temple, with many gold and green glass statues of the pantheon of the Walled Dye.
To my delight I find a large stockpile of alcohol, and help myself.
A short distance further is a grand dining room and artefact repository. Many fine works are on display.
One catches my eye - The Scholarly Scorn, a Zinc figurine of Vabok Glazeddoors. I slip it in my pack.
Vabok Glazeddoors was once king of the Walled Dye and the masterfully crafted figurine celebrates his ascension, and is finely decorated with gold and basalt.

Within the library are a great many books about the Dark Pits Wraithbreath... where could these have been authored?
I even find some copies of Goden Charmkey the Gates of Mightiness, the famous necromancer's work.
Travelling deeper into the fort I find the armory, weapons and armour of various qualities and materials abound.
I find the forgehall and spot a swordsdwarf hollow hunter, who ignores my greeting.
I do find an adamantine vein, but no evidence that the dwarves here were foolish enough to mine it.

23rd Moonstone 859

I retrace my steps westward, past Stockadeoutrage, towards the goblin pits and Stealmountain, where I have slaughtered goblins before.
It is eerily quiet. Further west is the Dark Pit of Chilledhate, and I stumble into the mustering goblin army.
Swarms of military goblins stream from the crude towers and are met with gleaming blue strikes from Godenrigoth.

Soon there a number of religious goblins - Sacred Persuasions. Most of them seem to be blighted ghouls. The waves of goblins are unending!
All day and all night, the screams of goblins fills the foul air.

24th Moonstone 859

I head north west from the smoking ruin of Chilledhate. Five hundred fewer goblins infest this world, having fallen to my hands.
I arrive at a modest fort, Stasismanors. I bump into a chief medical dwarf necromancer who seems to be fleeing from some beast... a towering quadruped composed of ash!
The great forgotten beast lumbers up the central stairwell, its great ashen trunk curling in front of it.
I leap upon it, Godenrigoth singing. I dismember the beast and take its trunk as a trophy.

A short while deeper into the fortress I find a pedestal upon which sits a finely crafted steel morningstar. An unusual weapon to be crafted by dwarven hands.
I place the Spot of Quietness within my pack - a steel morningstar encircled with bands of steel and rectangular diorite cabochons.

25th Moonstone 859

I leave Stasismanors and head west across the featureless snow. It is only then I notice I have something stuck in my tooth, and spit it out.
It appears to be a goblin's foot.

I arrive at the apparently abandoned ancient fort of Palacework. This place has a sinister history, and rumours of necromancers and invisible warriors abound.
I find a dismembered speardwarf outside, an exceptional steel spear and steel armour nearby. A short distance away is a mutilated horse corpse.
I seem to remember a story of an adventurer of the museum who was assailed on horseback by an elf Hollow Hunter... perhaps these are their remains?
I take their chicken leather backpack, which has remarkably well preserved wolf meat, and Adilatir coins from the year 710 - 149 years ago?

Inside the fort I find a bone figurine of the famous warrior Erith Whippedumbral, crafted by a being known as Nabasbardum... The Divine Fight?
Perhaps an alter-ego of Erith herself? I also find some elf teeth. These perhaps belong to the elf hollow hunter, Evala Blazedjudged.
I descend the fort's staircase and find, bizarrely, a zombiefied eagle neck, sleeping in a fungiwood bed.

I find no other things stirring in this place and make my way to the surface, where I encounter two dwarven hollow hunters on patrol...
One is Erush Gildlabored, and the other Tosid Fissuretowers. These dwarves have been residing here for centuries, having been raised by the evil Cog Wildnesswork.
They are the remnants of The Matched Hame, a dead civilisation, and eye me mournfully. I leave them unmolested.

A brief journey north west and I stumble upon a sad sight... two slain plump helmet men, and an elegent yet alarmed blue peacock.
They look to have been slaugtered by wolverines. Or perhaps the infamous hollow hunters?

I continue my journey west, and enter an eerie haunted ice plain.
I stumble upon a carved wall of ice, and a militia commander who recognises me!
He is called Limul Brotherlens, and I am assuming he knows me from my time incarcerated in that awful island fortress Ancientlibrary...
I seem to have found Frostwall the Last Bastion.

I delve further and am amazed to see a huge icy edifice, constructed by dwarven hand from pure ice, rising many urists into the sky.
There are further great icy walls and structures. I explore this wonder of dwarven ingenuity, but I find no beasts to slay.
Quite a few of these dwarves are familiar to me from my time in that cursed library.

26th Moonstone 859

It is not very far before I chance upon another fort, the strangely named Free the Eggs.
The first thing I spot on the featureless tundra outside is an artifact iron crossbow, Twilightmolten.
I place it in my pack and look for any signs of life outside. A freezing peasant confirms the Golden Eggs rule this fort.
A series of ovoid rooms are again carved from the living ice. The egg obsession here is slightly perturbing. There are a great many masterwork bone crafts, and some evidence of metalworking. I explore the fort looking for beasts to slay yet find none.

I travel south east to the huge sprawling tower complex of Glazedriven. I have been here many years before, and have heard rumours the ranks of the twisted experiments have swelled ever since.
On entering the main tower, I am immediately attacked by a grotesque beast, a muscular hound of Kosothducim.
This feathered hexapod was once a dog, but is now unrecognisable. It has long black feathers and wings and slavers for flesh...

The soldiers of night, on the other hand, are quite pleasant and leave me to my business. After exploring the smaller towers, I spot a human necromancer, holding what looks to be a slab!
He is a most amiable fellow by the name of Ezif Bluewave, and is quite happy to trade the slab for The Spot of Quietness the steel morningstar and Twilightmolten the crossbow.

I now have in my hands Fatalurn the Hag of Dying, a kimberlite slab.
Reading it, I have learned another secret. I can now raise Putrid Ghouls! I leave Ezif with his new weapons and bid him good day.

27th Moonstone 859

Emboldened with new knowledge, I am now a Legendary Reader! I look at my maps and see there is one famous fort I have not yet visited, which is near this part of the world.
The Abyssal Sanctuary is rumored to be the home of many great adamantine crafts, and has been beseigned by the denizens of hell.
One of the advantages of my undying body is that it is no inconvenience to me to sprint north through the barren frosty mountains, all day and all night.

I soon arrive at the outskirts of The Abyssal Sanctuary. The corpses of many mangled keas let me know that I am near the entrance hall.
I unsheath Godenrigoth, its divine blade undulled by the scores of goblin skulls it has taken, ready to face whatever this place can throw at the Blind Sadist.
The first great beast to fall is a... small great horned owl. This place seems infested with common beasts. Where are the demons?

I travel down a winding path until a great hall and trade depot opens before me. I hear the sounds of battle...
An eerily detailed floor shows grotesque scenes of dwarves prostrating themsevles before a burning door... a portal to hell?

I explore the fort further, the same grisly icon everywhere I cast my gaze. An enormous stockpile of iron chains; what could they need all these for?
Several human corpses, and ungodly amounts of human blood sprayed left and right. I press on and find myself in some fiendish maze.
I explore for what seems like days, going round in circles until finally I find myself in an enormous room, carved of blood-red hematitie.
There is still no sign of the demonic beast that I heard on entering the hall.

At the end of the hallway is a mined out adamantine pillar, dwarven corpses shattered and dismembered all around.
I lose count of the fallen, and every one is beyond my magic to restore. The dwarves here dug too deep indeed.
I find no living demons here, though, and retrace my steps. I can see no sign of the wombat-molesting light blue devil, but as I exit the fort I am accosted by a kinglet devil - Blushedromance the Adorable Pus.
Two strokes from Godenrigoth mangle its neck and cleave its foul skull. I leave the Sanctuary and head southwards once more.

28th Moonstone 859

I leave the mountains at the abandoned fort of Duskhome, and put down a Human Beast Hunter Empty One and a few terrified goblins.
I continue my journey, this time south east. At the ruins of the cursed Pit, I slay Buriedurn the winged fiend - a horrifying slug demon.
Thiefpuzzles the Wicked is a shadow spirit - a quadroped made of ash. It disintegrates when Godenrigoth takes its head.

I head then to Borncats, the Roc shrine, where I once slew Calovi. Ngomstu Beachweather is the last Roc of Orid Xem, grandson of Calovi.
I have a fiendish plan to slay this beast and raise it as a revenant mount. A great winged zombie-roc would be a fitting steed.
However, he dies much quicker than his grandmare - I am much stronger than I was all those decades ago, and Godenrigoth takes his great head from his neck.
I am unable to revive his corpse, much to my chagrin. His zombie head flops about comically, and is put down once more.

3rd Opal 859

The next few days involve a lot of travel, and many dingoes being strangled.
At last I arrive at a familiar fort - Ashcinders the Molten Scar. Time to pick up some gear and visit old friends.
I gather a masterwork spear crafted from the divine blistered metal that I brough to the forgehalls here from Coverashes many years ago, and kill a shifty looking goblin on my way out.
I find no sign of the weaponmaster responsible, Bim Pageswelters the Accidental. I am saddened to hear he has died of old age, and seemingly left no corpse to raise.

5th Opal 859

The spire of Falsetower the Citadel of Worlds pierces the sky. Scattered around are ballista bolts and workshops of many kind. What secrets could this tower hold?
The tower is eerily quiet, and I find no living souls. The surface is scattered with corpses and bones.
Mangled dwarves spattered with weremammoth blood and various corpses of forgotten beasts suggest this was not a happy place to live.
Various intelligent undead stalk the surface and meander around the fort, and I even come across some wounded troglodytes.
There are rumours that the deposed King Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning fell here. Sadly, I can find no sign of his corpse.
Whatever happened here I am struggling to find answers, yet I find no great treasures or enemies to slay. I decide to journey back northwards.

6th Opal 859

The town of Strifefularmor seems quaint enough, but on closer inspection it is infested with blighted thralls.
Kosoth's Omon Blight has fully taken hold in these parts. It shall be scoured from the earth.
I climb into the keep and find it in disarray. In the centre of the room, surrounded by corpses and thralls, is an enormous troll.
Xubngesp Craterdimple the Glad End is clearly undead, its body a mess of scars and rot.

The town cleansed, I move on to Partnerdaub. The name is familiar - I suspect I have been here before many years ago.
There are a few thralls here, and a suspicious goblin Master. All meet their dooms.

I travel north over the next few days, stopping by at many hamlets looking for signs of the blight - I am heading towards the sprawling metropolis of Scarletbronze.

10th Opal 859

Scarletbronze is home to a great many thralls, all huddled in the keep. They flee in terror but are cut down like wheat.
I also find two ressurected werebeasts, who also fall. Next to face my wrath is the notorious bandit haven Swordgleamed.
On arrival I am ambushed by a massive human army. This could get messy.

Mixed in the horde of humans are a few goblins, and I even spot a goblin blighted thrall. Chaoes ensues - it appears there are loyalist forces still bearing the regalia of Omon Obin, pitted against scores of bandits.
In the bedlam, bolts and arrows fly left and right. An insurrection has begun.

I spot a goblin priest trying to run away...  how did he get here? He is quickly beheaded.
I suspect that I may have instigated a full-blown battle between the local militia and the bandit horde.
Some of the humans consider me their ally and we drive the invaders north west.

Slowly, I manage to push the bandits back towards the keep, the ground slick with their blood.
There is utter carnage, and in the chaos it is hard to tell friend from foe.
Eventually their forces break, and their leader Tholo Claspzenith arrives, a goblin warlord. As his head leaves his shoulders, the town of Swordgleamed is free. The bandit forces seem broken, and the Omon Obin troops take the keep.

13th Opal 859

For the next few days, I head north through the Tundra of Heroes, and meet no sentient thing.
Wolves feed my desire for battle, and slake my ungodly thirst, as I head into the Adventurous Steppes.

14th Opal 859

I arrive at a fort that was not on my maps - Newworld?
This fort appears to be in the very centre of the known world. A fleeing goblin wrestler is quickly dispatched as I approach the fort from the south west.
A squat tower stands on the plane, with the four cardinal directions paved out before it. A beacon at the heart of Orid Xem.
Inside I greet the expedition leader Onget Asmorul. I find a bar of nickel silver; my favourite metal - sadly it now brings up memories of my incarceration in Clearmasters.
The bottom floor of the fort is flooded. I find no beasts to slay, but spend some time reading in the well stocked library.
As I leave, however, I am ambushed by a troll wielding a steel boning knife! I make quick work if it.
This curious beast was known as Arazi Bonearmor. I take its steel knife. The dwarven metal should not be in the hands of beasts such as this.

A short while north west of Newworld, I am ambushed by a goblin. This one seems different some how. It is covered with ropes of unnatural muscle and is clearly undead.
Stozu Blackbank the Fiendish Soot Thrall? What manner of creature is this? It is certainly aggressive.

I slash at it, and even with the divine metal, I cannot sever a limb. Many muscles and nerves in its legs and arms are torn but still it comes.
I disarm its silver scimitar and launch a devastating blow against its neck. The upper spine is shattered and Godenrigoth is lodged in the wound, and still it comes.
Again and again I chop chunks of twisted flesh from its neck and it continues to advance.
Without its weapon, it claws and kicks to no avail. Finally my blade bites deep and spills its blackened brains.
This fiendish soot must make an ordinary goblin superbly strong. Perhaps I will find some for myself?

I stop off at my erstwhile home castle of Spicetrails, and unburden myself of various trinkets and curios I have acquired. I set off once more, heading north west.

Around the mountain where Ironwards is carved, I bump into a dwarf hammer lord gaunt zombie - Iton Cityruns the Symmetry of Suffering.

She is spattered with forgotten beast extract, and her body is heavily blistered. Before her lie the corpses of two demons.
Like most undead, she is mute and unwilling to share tales of her exploits with me. I wonder what great stories she could tell.

The last time I travelled in these parts, there were demons roaming nearby, and this time is no different.
Plaguemirrors the lizard devil falls to Godenrigoth.

16th Opal 859

I arrive at yet another fort that I have not yet explored - The Iron-Deep.
This mine was founded in the year 700, and is long abandoned. I climb across the bridge, and find many goblin and dwarf skeletons, victims of a battle long since forgotten.
It is an impressive structure, balanced above a bed of ice, but the lower levels are flooded and I am quickly swept into a huge cistern.
It takes all my supernatural strength and endurance to swim against the current and climb back to dry land, where I find a rotten dwarf corpse.
I gesture and it shudders to life as a Cold Slayer. I find no other living creatures here and decide to move on.

17th Opal 859

I arrive in the hamlet of Guildperfect to some commotion. In the civic mound, some merchants are fighting off human zombies, while a gaunt zombie looks on.
Thikut Netsteel the Misty Circle is a macedwarf, and like me, his entire body is rotten. He must have been subjected to the same foul magic which has rotted my flesh and robbed me of my eyes.
I put him out of his misery.

A short journey northwards, the necromancer tower Momentcrowded is home to a few zombies and a sole necromancer, but all the books have been looted.
There are no more secrets for me here.

18th Opal 859

In Largetempests, to the north east, I stumble into a prophet necromancer who seems to be missing both of his hands. He claims to be called Bolli Squashedclap, but since he also claims to be a prophet, I am suspicious.
I think this could be Hob Tileddoctrines, the infamous creater of Tileddoctrines Fist. Godenrigoth bisects him cleanly, and his mangled skull now adorns my backpack.

19th Opal 859

I head east over the mountains and revisit Heroicgem, as I promised Queen Ral I would. The remnants of The Scholarly Manors continue to gravitate to that place. I slay two necromancers but find the tower otherwise abandoned.
Again, no books are to be found. I suspect that scorpion fiend has spirited them away to his library on that terrible island... Could this be the end of Oddom's legacy at last?

... to be continued.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:30:52 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: March 10, 2022, 05:53:55 am »

The Further Adventurers of The Blind Sadist; Moldath Mournsaints the Ardent

20th Opal 859

In the early hours of the morning, I am ambushed by yet more dingoes, and then suddenly a night troll appears.
Od Umbralgrave the shadow troll lunges at me with a carving knife.
My first blow shatters its upper spine and it collides with me in a tussle. My second strike cleaves its skull.

21st Opal 859

A few goblin patrols are spotted around the dark pits near my intended destination - Waterdeeps. They are soon dealt with.
I discover yet another night troll - this time it is a horned, grey-skinned monster - Uktang Fatedburial the Fatal Death.
It is naked yet carries a carving fork. I will not be his meal.

Soon after, I arrive at Waterdeeps from the south - the only dwarven fort in this part of the world.
The dungeonmaster I meet informs me the Sabre of Keeps runs this place, built at the source of a great river.
In a feat of miraculous dwarven engineering, a whole basin had been excavated, and the river seems to spring into life from a tall spire, tumbling mist down on the dwarves below.
The towering waterfall is powered by a number of windmills, and all considered is very impressive.
I find upon the floor here a masterful artifact headscarf, the Meteor of Shadow. It replaces my tattered hood well.

21st Opal 859

I head north west, and find some densely packed dark pits.
I make my way to the Dark Fortress Skullhated, slaying many goblins.
Atop the tower, I find two goblins in religous garb, asleep. I silently remove their heads.

22nd Opal 859

I begin the long trek north over the Perfect Horns.
I am unmolested save for some mountain goats.
I discover an untouched volcano, a great spire of obsidian reaching to the heavens - The Splattered Blaze.

Stowing my weapons, I climb the great edifice and gaze into the molten depths.
I press on, and eventually the mountains give way to the Waste of Strangeness, a desolate place home to camels.

23rd Opal 859

The Perfect Horns give way to the Hill of Contesting, and nestled in a valley to the north is Posionuttered, heart of the Most Sin.
Camped outside is a huge army of nameless trolls and beak dogs, but goblins are curiously absent.
I forge on through the enormous Dark Fortress. The central tower is surprisingly quiet.
This is where Egu Craftlenses, the demon lord of the goblin filth, was struck down nearly a century ago.

Atop the tower are a few cowering noble goblins, who are quickly slaughtered.
Travelling downwards, I find a blighted thrall, and also a floor hatch leading downwards... could this be the underworld spire thrust up by Egu?
I tentatively start my journey down.

I head down many levels on a precarious slade stair, until a further expanse of warren-like catacombs open up.
It is slow going, and I have to turn back more than once.
The stones are getting warm to touch now - I am once more in the bowels of the earth.
Finally I discover an Underworld Gate, and with some trepidation, venture once more into Hell.

The first demons I encounter are fiends of steam, and while terrible to behold, they dissipate quickly in the face of my onslaught, leaving me drenched in boiling water.
They appear as if some great bird has formed from living vapour, in the shape of a monstrous harrier.
Even as I slaughter them, these fiends mock my rotting flesh...

The next foul monster to attack is a sleet fiend, a great python composed of snow, with an undulating trunk. It sprays frozen dust all around.
Unfortunately for the demon, snow is no match for adamantine.

Light blue devils are pterosaurs with deadly blood. They do not provide much challenge.
Skinless monsters, however, are enormous web-spraying bulls which must be approached with caution.
By sneaking stealthily behind them, then paralyzing them with my death magic, they are easily disabled.
I slaughter every demon I can see, then begin ascending back to the mortal realm.

On the outskirts of Goldhells are many goblins apparently fleeing from terror. I slaughter them quickly.
I head north through the mountains once more.

24th Opal 859

After a long trek, and near the summit of the Perfect Horns, is a small wooden cabin, surrounded by bleating mountain goats.
Inside I find an old and wizened human.
He introduces himself to me as Glloyd Ancientborn the Round, and I notice he is missing his right arm. He calls this place Mountaincrest the Last Shelter, a safe haven far from civilisation.

I am suddenly reminded that I found his arm... in the vault of Coverashes, many years ago.
Atop his head is the green glass crown Galleyhazy, the famous namesake of the fort Emeraldcrown.

He has masterful bone crafts by Nabasbardum, the alter-ego of Erith Whippedumbral, and bears the bismuth bronze short sword Ikal Obok, slayer of many goblins.
One thing in particular catches my eye - Dippeddaub the Blanketed Cult, a legendary onyx opal bracelet crafted in Duskhome, before it fell to the great curse.
Despite my best efforts, Glloyd is not interesting in trading for this prize.

I bid him good day and continue on my journey. Before I leave, I tell him that the skeletal remains of his right arm are within Ashcinders, if he wishes to retreive them...
I begin the journey north west, down the mountain towards the fort of Archquakes.

Bizarrely, I find a frail human merchant atop the mountain, fighting a mountain goat blighted thrall and with wolverine bites all over his flesh.
He is called Adil Dendoctrines, yet he is too frightened to talk to me. I slay the goat and leave him to his business, but sadly a short time later he suffocates, his wounds too great.
I restore him to unlife as a Fallen Slayer.

When I arrive at Archquakes, it is clearly overrun. Trolls and beak dogs roam the fort and the corpses of their kin litter a huge area.
Every step feels like it takes an hour... some kind of temporal anomaly has affected this place.
Atop the mesa, I spot a human necromancer! I hack at his head, as he gestures and troll corpses rise to answer his bidding.
I slay as many trolls as I can find. I find little treasure here, and move on.

25th Opal 859

Heading north west into the human lands of Mong Uthros, I arrive at the human hamlet of Ferriedtwinkled.
I almost walk into a phalanx of elven soldiers! A war party, come to sack the town?
I notice there is even a goblin in elven clothing. Are the elves finally at war with Mong Uthros?

Even though these two kingdoms share my God, Ala, there must be some dispute. These elves are not here to make friends.
They are certainly no friend to me, since I slew their dark queen. In true blind sadist style, I decide to choose violence over diplomacy.
Their pitiful cloth robes and wooden swords are no match for a whirlwind of adamantine.

Having slaughtered the invading elves, I seek out the abbot of the village.
Finele Tundrapraises is his name. He tells me of Frothbone... Uklasut. It is in Tunneledaction in the Ashen Power.
I think he is mistaken. It was stolen there by the mad monkey Raki Umberclan, but last I heard it was safe with Lubbe Cleardrank of the Coven of Frothing.
Perhaps I had better check it out.

I find the Ashen Power, the mead hall of Tunneledaction, deserted.
A single human skeleton lies on the floor and of Frothbone there is no sign.

26th Opal 859

Outside Atticmuffins, the capital of Mong Uthros, is a large refugee camp.
Perhaps the elves really have declared war. On entering the keep, I discover a bandit group calling themselves The Late Specks has taken over the town.
I clear out this insurrection, and the naked goblin spies lurking in the upper levels.

27th Opal 859

Frothbone is nowhere to be found. I search the monastaries around Atticmuffins, then return to Monkeycurse where my living blood was last spilled, but to no avail.
I set off swimming north from Monkeycurse, to the terrifying Island of Animals.
I make land fall as the weak sun is setting.

28th Opal 859

I seem to have misjudged my swim and instead make landfall on the quirky Dreamy Island!
I spot something moving in the bushes, and grab it by the neck. A gremlin! I soon find its friend.
I drink their blood but it is not very filling.
I stow the lifeless corpses of "Ferra" and "Malvo" in my pack.

1st Obsidian 859

After another long swim, I arrive on the Island of Animals, a fierce and haunted place.
There is rumour of an abandoned fort on this isle, which fell to a terrible curse. I set off to explore.

My exploration of the west of the island is uneventful, but as I head north I am ambushed by hideous creatures. They are the size of a dwarf or elf but with a terrifying skull like visage.
Foul blendecs! Despite their nightmarish appearance, they are not terribly effective in combat. I take the skull of one particularly muscular specimin as a trophy.

2nd Obsidian 859

I continue my circumnavigation of the island and encounter a skeletal putrid ghoul.
All flesh has been seemingly flayed from its rotten corpse, and it shambles towards me.
Clinging to its frame is armour seemingly marking it as a member of the Mong Uthros guard. Its large copper helm bears thwe sigil of two anvils, the symbol of Mong Uthros.
In its hand is an iron crossbow.
Some adventurer's recruit? I hack them in the chest and the quickly collapse, whatever energy reanimating them dissipated.
Nearby I find the shrine of some forest titan, awash with its blood.
I leave the corpse of the guard here, and take a sample of the titan blood with me.

3rd Obsidian 859

I find the fort entrance, roughly dug from the peat. Homesafe the Shrine of Guarding.
There is little sign of fortification; perhaps the dwarves here did not last long.
The quaint fort is modestly appointed, and I find a couple of books here and there.
It seems the dwarves here dined on mussels, as their shells litter the floor.

4th Obsidian 859

Having full explored the Island of Animals, I am a little underwhelmed. I was lead to believe roiling fiendish soot clouds scoured the land, and the dead walked.
I find some small lairs with the remains of dead foul blendecs, and amongst their detritus are some bone crafts by the hand of The Ghoul-Father, Hannibal Valleyball? I have heard little of this adventurer...
I see no further undead creatures or menacing beasts, and so head east across the sea to the elf lands.

The forest retreats seem mostly abandoned. I arrive at the old dwarven fort of Lancesavage, only to find it crawling with goblins. I purge the menace from the fort.
The fort itself is a harrowing warren of corridors and doorways, with no rhyme or reason. Whichever dwarf was responsible for this architecture was clearly insane.
Having slain as many goblins as I could find, I leave and head north.

5th Obsidian 859

The hills give way to joyous wilds, and I spot herds of unicorns grazing.
As I head north, I spot a castle on the horizon - strange for this part of the elven lands.
Strewn all around are many books and I try to gather as many as I can.
I lose count of the books here authored by the elf chieftess Afe Sparkledfill.. and most concern this fort itself, Splashbeige.
Inside the fort I discover Afe Sparkledfill herself, struggling under the weight of all the books in her arms.
I spot something odd in her grasp - it looks like a scorpion man's hand.
I trade her many books for the scorpion man hand and a few other artifacts, including a copper sword and the intriguingly named shield Naughtyslap.

6th Obsidian 859

I head north, past the seemingly abandoned elven capital Glacialtempests, to a cave at the north of the world. Within are scattered wooden crafts, their crafter unknown and unseen.
To the north west is a camp, on the north coast of this great continent, where it is rumoured the Apocalypse Bear once lived.

The camp, Northcamp seems to be deserted. A few trinkets remain.
One is a figurine of a black bear man, refusing chains, while a feather tree burns.
He would never be a slave, and the elves tastes his wrath.
I stow this symbol of defiance in my pack.
I have come to the end of the earth, and decide to turn back, and head towards the Museum.

10th Obsidian 859

The last few days of travel have been largely uneventful, but now I have discovered a cave. Outside are various crafts in rock, and some food, including cave lobsters and fish.
Some beast must have lived here. I venture inside. I soon discover a giant rat, which is quickly dealt with.
Something large is moving far below... a huge female giantess!
It is enormous and muscular, but completely naked.
I leap upon it, hacking with my sword, tearing a great gash in its belly.
Two more striked cleave its arms from its body.

The great beast is gouting hot blood, coating the cavern walls, and it starts to slow, its breathing laboured.
Forcing Godenrigoth hard into its chest, I can feel its enormous heart tear, spraying blood.
Finally, its head is separated from its gargantuan shoulders. It is absolutely enormous. The head alone weighs 1640 urists, the body a huge 14680 urists, even without its arms.
The head will be too burdensome to carry away even for my superdwarven strength, its great bulk would encumber me greatly.
I set to the grim task of butchering the remains - the skull alone is a much more manageable 202 urists.

11th Obsidian 859

I stumble into a strange labyrinth as I travel south west.
I hear the boasts of a monstrous minotaur, but when I find him, he is in a sorry state. He is blinded in both eyes, and missing both his horns! He is incredibly skinny.
I guess being blind and hornless makes it hard for him to hunt prey to devour?

13th Obsidian 859

In the monastery of Hoodconstructs, I find a precious treasure - Gallpaddles the Spittle of Juice, a slab! I learn how to raise Hollow Stalkers.
To the east, is the solitary Dark Fortress Malignfocus.
I enter it from the west, and in one of the small towers I meet a human axeman wearing the emblem of The Creamy Confederacy.
He tells me The Subtle Society band of outlaws under the overlord Ilosp Motherintense runs this place.
I am not sure if he is a member of the outlaw gang, having deserted from the military, or whether he still swears loyalty to the Confederacy.
My suspicions are raised when I stumble inside the keep and find there are goblins amongst the troop, who still wear the symbol of the Most Sin.
None will tell me who they are loyal to.

I suspect that since they have confirmed this place belongs to outlaws, they are probably bandits. Either way, Ala will sort them out.
I start hacking with my axe and sword, the entrance to the stout keep a natural choke point. More and more bandits stream in fromt the south, only to find themselves in a dwarven meatgrinder.
Once the dust clears, scores of dead lie at my feet. I press on towards the next keep.
Bandits stream from the doors, human and goblin alike. None are spared.

Having fought my way to the top of the central spire, I am surprised to see no boss or ringleader. Where is this overlord hiding? Just more bandits, cowering in a group.
I slay them like the rest.

When I finally emerge it is in the deep of night, and my armour is caked in the gore of countless goblins and humans.

14th Obsidian 859

I start my journey back to the Museum. I leave as my official submission the giantess skull, and her blood.

I head back towards Stockadeoutrage, and have one last gift for Queen Ral to ingratiate me with her line...

Forts and Camps Visited:

The Iron-Deep
Homesafe the Shrine of Guarding
Lancesavage
Archquakes
The Abyssal Sanctuary
Sealsabres
Newworld
Free the Egg
Waterdeeps
Frostwall the Last Bastion
Falsetower the Citadel of Worlds
Stasismanors
Northcamp
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:56:22 am by kesperan »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: March 10, 2022, 10:08:52 am »

Fascinating journey Moldath went on. Visited a lot of forts and seems you have won favor with Ral. Interested to see Moldaths story from here. Also see you traded for Holybloods hand.

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: March 10, 2022, 11:03:02 am »

If blood in this game could actually fill tiles like water does Moldath would have created rivers by now

I shouldn't feel bad for goblins, but I do a tiny bit because they stand absolutely no chance!
Perhaps the soot zombie goblin was one of their last futile attemps to resist?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: March 10, 2022, 12:00:47 pm »

Also see you traded for Holybloods hand.

Yes; it’s in Spicetrails now with the rest of my treasures!

Well, apart from the goblin hair crown which was stolen and appears to have been traded to a dwarven caravan…

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: March 10, 2022, 12:16:30 pm »

Well, apart from the goblin hair crown which was stolen and appears to have been traded to a dwarven caravan…
Um... ummmm? I don't remember trading bone/hair crafts. In fact, I remember hoarding those (including shell and other creature-part crafts) in my forts. I hope I didn't do it by accident.
If blood in this game could actually fill tiles like water does Moldath would have created rivers by now
Yeah, I'm impressed. I'm super-impressed. Orid Xem adventurers really outdid the Mudungudon ones in killing, there wasn't even a grand slayer there among the adventurers.
I shouldn't feel bad for goblins, but I do a tiny bit because they stand absolutely no chance!
Perhaps the soot zombie goblin was one of their last futile attemps to resist?
Take a look at what Malladang has been up to (massacres on the civilized races reaching well over 15k - in fact, I think a SINGLE WAR they did 15k civilized casualties) and you won't be sorry at all. They even officially couped a human civ, as in Legends Viewer outright states that Goblin McGobkins became Law-Giver after a coup.

Once again, amazing adventure by Moldath. I think a new one is an adventurer of the museum raiding Hell from an adamantine spire rather than from a dwarven breach. Really amazing.

And now I know what happened to the troll. It looks like I didn't contain him properly (and why would he attack? Did he turn feral like that Adilatír demon that attacked Bralbaard who was also his King?). Whoops? Glad someone visited who could defend themselves, would have been awkward having an unknown attack troll guarding Iroram and ending some poor soul's life.

I arrive at a fort that was not on my maps - Newworld?
This fort appears to be in the very centre of the known world. A fleeing goblin wrestler is quickly dispatched as I approach the fort from the south west.
A squat tower stands on the plane, with the four cardinal directions paved out before it. A beacon at the heart of Orid Xem.
Inside I greet the expedition leader Onget Asmorul. I find a bar of nickel silver; my favourite metal - sadly it now brings up memories of my incarceration in Clearmasters.
The bottom floor of the fort is flooded. I find no beasts to slay, but spend some time reading in the well stocked library.
As I leave, however, I am ambushed by a troll wielding a steel boning knife! I make quick work if it.
This curious beast was known as Arazi Bonearmor. I take its steel knife. The dwarven metal should not be in the hands of beasts such as this.
I'd forgotten about the library I set up, I'm glad Moldath could do some reading. And also that he didn't find out that... wait, I don't remember any Onget being expedition leader, Kikrost was friends with the old one, but I forgot his name. I might want to look into that.

I was at first wondering why it's flooded, but then I remember it's the low-key aquifier on the surface. Ah well, there's a lot of work to do in Iroram. A LOT of work.

Does anyone know that if you remove the floor of an aquifer by channeling and making the tile "Open Space", you remove the aquifer? Because I really hope that happens.

As for the tower, I'm undecided what to do with it, but it'll probably no longer be squat and I'll do something with it. I'm not sure what yet though.

Edit: Rovod (the original expedition leader) became a Baron. And Kikrost got sent to a hillocks in the middle of nowhere. Frak my life.

Ah, scrolling through the replies reminded me that there's also a list of immortality slabs on the wiki that may have information that Moldath didn't have (and vice-versa, of course).

Hmm, any word on Bluarian?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:46:59 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: March 10, 2022, 12:47:57 pm »

Yes; it’s in Spicetrails now with the rest of my treasures!

Completely forgot about the goblin hair crown, it must of got put into one of the craft bins as i lost all my items at Falsetower and it was traded. In unrelated news, i hear Dumat Wetfigure of Milecopper has been spotted with her new hairdo.

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: March 10, 2022, 01:37:50 pm »

I see you actually beat back the hordes of bandits at swordgleamed as well? Impressive.

I have a lot of information to update..
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 263