Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409893 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1740 on: March 16, 2022, 10:16:39 pm »

That must be in an alternate reality, because I searched "General" in his Legends Viewer profile and nothing came up.

What can I say, Moldath is behaving weird (and the game is behaving weird towards Moldath, apparently).

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

There's no "Moldath tricked the Walled Dye into thinking he's someone else" message. I honestly am not that surprised, since even when you moved him to Kikrostzar, it still said he was part of The Armors of Diamond. The game probably saw a gap in positions, saw him with the most deeds and called him there. Note that he's moved "in real time" in two days after he's become a Bookkeeper and Broker, though I'm not sure of the significance of it. Or why it remembered him as part of The Armors of Diamond when the game usually forgets you're part of a group if you join another group. This is confusing.

If Moldath arrives in Iroram (I really hope he doesn't, one encounter in fort mode with the Blind Sadist was enough for me), I'll just seal him in a room and release him before I retire. It's actually amusing seeing Moldath making his mark on the world as an NPC as much as is impressive as player controlled. But my prediction is he won't, because he's for some reason tied to The Armors of Diamond now. Though I'm really curious if this puts him back in the line of succession for Baron/Count/King, since I'm assuming he's still using the fake name for The Walled Dye and I think his first Barony was as himself. But who knows how the game counts these things.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:01:15 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 17, 2022, 12:50:33 pm »

You’re right about the General incident - that didn’t happen in the main game, it happened when I loaded up my copy after I retired Iroldeduk, my new fort in the north.

If he’s now a noble at Eskon, he shouldn’t migrate.

Looking forward to Bluarian’s story too. It looks there’s another black bear man abroad, this time with an immortality slab…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 18, 2022, 02:04:16 pm »

My name is Urist and I am of Señamatem. You might have heard of it, the first capital of Omon Obin, however, more recently, historically speaking at least, a place of quiet and worship where holy men gather to pray. It is, possibly more obscurely, the place of origin of Lurker Onecbehal, a somewhat local celebrity. We know both much of little of Lurker, we know not his parents and there are rumous that he was divinely blessed. He always held to Bikdá, as good folks of Señamatem were to do. 770 saw him overcome by wanderlust and the hope of bringing not himself, but Omon Obin to its former greatness. Though these writings are supposed to be of me, I find that I must delve back in time much to speak of great histories considering my home-town and Lurker's exploits are by far more memorable, as they occured in more recent times. It is in his footsteps I wish to follow, even though the world is dark and full of horrors. There is one more facet of Lurker that is relevant to me, his Goblin Rage. Whispers among the holy men and women here say that it has spread in recent years to other adventurers and sapient beings, the need to exterminate all goblins they encounter. This proved fatal for Lurker in 794 when he assaulted a goblin in lost-to-us Thillecit, only to be slayed by a fellow human.

Thankfully, Lurker left many weapons, armor and even jewels here so I only need to find his mythical hut and equip myself for the journey. My first step will probably be Eskôn, a dwarven fortress built around his worship. This is so exciting!

Entry 2:

It's night, but I feel restless. I hear noises. What has waken me up? I reluctantly leave my bed, even if I planned tomorrow to talk to my fellow citizens for possibly the last time, attempting to get that foul goblin "leader" alone, and then...

Well, I'll see to that tomorrow. Now I see... people fighting? What is this? The foul goblin fights Adi, aided by some of my human town-folk. I blame my Goblin Hate on what happened next, but I cannot bear to help the goblin. I didn't know at the time it was the Blight, before it was yelled to me, and yet by then it is too late... the goblin turns from an ally into an enemy to my sense, moreso than she already was, into the town's enemy. I fight her with abandon and she is slayed, though I do not take the credit. I believe the blighted one will go down, but it is... hard. I have two companions aiding me, one fighting at my side, the other flinging bolts. We fight for hours, we fight through the night, that I am surprised sunrise does not reach us. It feels like the Gods themselves want to keep the night up until the ending of this battle. Then again, being under the auspices of Bikda, perhaps she herself does this. The fight takes me close to the Town Hall, where I see in horror flung teeth, but no corpses. I pray to Bikda only mild injuries exist and it is too dark for me to see any corpses. I risk leaving the battle to my companions and loot the bodies around. As I reach the entrance, I see two townfolk cowering in the corner, muttering "It is terrifying." Of course it is, but that does not make you less than craven! We fight here for our lives, yet there you are, not aiding.
I return to the battle with good protection and several coin purses heavier, yet disaster struck: our melee fighter is infected! We manage to put him out of his misery, but Adi still attacks, his guts bruised and hanging out, his entire body a mess of viscera and bruises, yet still fighting with supernatural strength and speed.
I feel myself safe, after all I survived with subpar equipment, now that I have iron on me-
The great-axe falls, as it has so many times and-

The End.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 18, 2022, 02:47:42 pm »

The blight claims another life. Kosoth has a lot to answer for, as Hannibal before him.

Perhaps the Blind Sadist must ride again, to cure this rot?

(Love your writing Lurker.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:39:31 pm by kesperan »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 18, 2022, 04:37:22 pm »

I definitely have a small arc in mind provided the Blight isn't eradicated by my turn haha. I'm on two sides for how I'd like to see it progress, on one hand with the blight gone, we could make room for more 'world' events so to speak. On the other hand. . . Zombie Apocalypse ala 28 Days Later. . .
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 18, 2022, 05:32:05 pm »

Thanks, kesperan. I had the first part written even before I started the adventure, the backstory and all, I thought of just posting that for now, but it felt too little for a post so I recounted the entire fight. The funny thing is that this is literally how the fight occurred in-game, absolutely nothing was embellished, to the two cowards hiding in the Town Hall. The bodies I looted are probably collateral from before I arrived or during the fight, I think we were more than 4 fighting Adi (the goblin included), but there were literally people snoozing in the Town Hall, so Adi didn't get to them. The only thing I lied about was not knowing it was the blight, since I saw Adi's name as a blighted thrall.

This is an interesting point and something that should be taken into consideration, a "fresh" blighted thrall doesn't immediately register as one until it does for some reason (probably finally decides to attack you or is close enough). So you might see two creatures fighting and not realize one of them is blighted, although you can get around this by looking at the blood on the ground, since I think it instantly tells you that it's blighted. It was the same with the goblin, I knew she got blighter, but for a few turns she still registered as an ally, so I was weary of attacking her and getting the whole town against me (I don't know if it works that way, but I didn't want to risk it).

As for the blight, alas, it's spread pretty far. I didn't even know it was in Señamatem, but it's in goblin lands and probably got into some religious groups (that's how it infiltrated Adilatir originally I think, through some Sacred Evenness). We'll probably have to contend with it for the rest of the game.

And yeah, looking in Legends, it appears that Adi is a direct infected of Kosoth. He now has 6 kills to his name and earned himself the title the Holiness of Blame. He's also a noble of Radircika since 802, since as some might know, in Dwarf Fortress religions don't discriminate you on the basis of being a night creature (civilizations and any other group do, kicking you out and declaring you their enemy).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 05:41:02 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 18, 2022, 06:21:23 pm »

Interesting, so the blight has spread.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 18, 2022, 06:50:49 pm »

I'm starting to think the Blight was a bit of a mistake.

(Other than that, I love your writing; a shame this turn was so short.)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 18, 2022, 06:59:24 pm »

The plague spreads most directly by the infected being called into positions of power, thus spreading them across Orid Xem. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or outright developer interest, but it appears the Blighted are more likely to be called to positions of power. This may be because the Blight makes them immortal (though I have no confirmation so far), because they met an adventurer of the Museum, thus elevating them in the game's choosing pool for some reason, or because the developer indeed wanted a Blight to be hard to contain and so intentionally made this mechanism. Regardless, it's very interesting indeed.

I'm starting to think the Blight was a bit of a mistake.

(Other than that, I love your writing; a shame this turn was so short.)

I'm divided on the subject: on one hand, it gave us a hell of a villain/challenge beyond the vanilla ones while still staying vanilla. On the other, the world might not survive it (and I pity the fort that gets a blighter as an Outpost Liaison like I have - at least I knew what I was dealing with and healed him with DF Hack, even if only temporary. Even if the caravan guards had killed him, I don't know if dragging the blood through the fort infects everyone; I'm reminded that there are syndroms that turn dwarves just by touch, like some of the rain in Archcrystals, where fort apocalypse was barely avoided after a dwarf took a nut without gloves... or infected the gloves... or ate it... something like that, but still pretty niche).

I reclaimed Eskon as a test (I'm going to crash the game so it's not saved) and Moldath appears in practice as "Friendly" and as broker as a profession. Also how are you even able to play him in this condition?

Bloody bugs after bloody bugs. I got Kikrost before I reclaimed, but while I was taking Rovod, Kikrost got called back to the stupid hillock. I can confirm however with a 90% accuracy that locking people in ROOFED tiles/rooms without entrances or exists keep characters inside.

After I reclaimed now, my fort lost its barony. No great loss. Also, my baron was supposedly mine, but in fact had the title for that conquered vault.

Other bugs include sites often crashing when I reclaimed/unreclaimed. I managed to bypass this by taking over an adventurer for a short while, retiring that adventurer, then successfully reclaiming.

Edit: My female elf disappeared between saves. Also the river I drained filled again. Thankfully, I'd channeled a lot around it so now half the map is flooded (yes, thankfully, because the river mouth is still blocked and the water can disperse faster now).

$%@#$%@$%@$%@$%@$%@$%%&$%&*%&$%@$%!#$!

At least I got that goblin in that I'm going to have squads murder repeatedly until I get named reptiles (new ones original from this map and unrelated to those from Eskon).

I am curious where that elf went, maybe she got promoted because I upped many of her skills (especially in elf-related matters, like plant gathering)? It'd be interesting if someday she'd ascend to Princess/Queen. I'd copy, retire and save, except it takes ages for a game to save (between 5 and 10 minutes). Well, I'll find out when I retire before I post the save, I suppose.

Ah, I discovered why my map is more flooded than it should be by an expanded river: apparently the puddles I drained also regenerated.

Edit: Rovod's gone too. As are all my bins and barrels.

More edit: Looks like the bins and barrels were... misplaced. Somewhere. I don't know from where they're getting them back, but they are. That's something, I guess.

Finally, something went right. Seven named reptile people!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 04:07:34 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 19, 2022, 04:28:34 pm »

Hmm. Moldath never used to have his entire body mangled, just rotten. He does look like rather flimsy. I’ll need to investigate ways to cure him of this insufferable rot.

I suppose getting him husked somehow and then scrubbing all that bothersome flesh off in a !!magma!! bath might work?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 19, 2022, 05:08:03 pm »

As long as he has the toughness to survive, a nice scolding bath of magma might solve the rot. Ofcourse he is always welcome to come to my fort and get operated on by the scorpion.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 20, 2022, 02:54:12 am »

As long as he has the toughness to survive, a nice scolding bath of magma might solve the rot. Ofcourse he is always welcome to come to my fort and get operated on by the scorpion.

Toughness is indeed the issue. If his whole body is mangled, a single hit will likely make him collapse. At this rate, I’ll be lucky if he survives to my next turn!

He might not survive the next round of dwarven surgery either. The wiki says intelligent undead don’t die of blood loss but I’m not sure if that’s true.

If anyone has any clever way of fixing this progressive rot syndrome I’m open to suggestions…

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 20, 2022, 05:55:56 am »

Toughness is indeed the issue. If his whole body is mangled, a single hit will likely make him collapse. At this rate, I’ll be lucky if he survives to my next turn!

He might not survive the next round of dwarven surgery either. The wiki says intelligent undead don’t die of blood loss but I’m not sure if that’s true.

If anyone has any clever way of fixing this progressive rot syndrome I’m open to suggestions…
Blood loss shouldn't do him in; the resurrection syndrome automatically removes the [HAS_BLOOD] tag, same as regular undead.

Going to do some testing on whether or not his body's weak enough to collapse, but the !!magma!! bath seems like the most dorfy solution so far.

EDIT: Initial test results are in.

Spoiler: Gamelog Excerpt (click to show/hide)
TL;DR: A cure for Moldath is definitely necessary if Kesperan wants to keep using him. Going to start looking into lava and surgery.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 07:50:23 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 20, 2022, 06:50:45 am »

Maybe it's time he's put to "rest", allowed to live a simple life as he wishes as an NPC? Maybe he'll be called back to be a Baron, Count, King, maybe he'll stay in Eskon for the rest of his the world's life (even if he hated it there the first time), maybe he'll haunt another fort and will accidentally be put down by someone who doesn't know him.

It's your char of course, but that's my suggestion.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 20, 2022, 08:25:47 am »

You might be right Lurker.

It’s not my turn for a good many weeks so we will see what happens!
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 263