Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409459 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1815 on: March 27, 2022, 12:18:57 pm »

Mandela effect. But more seriously, you're probably conflating Raki's ignoble death (TV Tropes mentions it there) with it. He did make Monkeycurse and brought Ala's immortality slab there, as well as many other wonders, even if he was a villain who cursed people to be werebeasts. It was him that K & K were trying to top, I think, and they succeeded (to most of our horror). The interesting thing is that I didn't even read QD's post, I just wasn't that invested in the Blight storyline (even as it is now taking over the world), I just made my assumption from a simple line from Legends Viewer (plus I have no memories of anyone lamenting... uh, the dead K so I don't confuse them).

By the way, I'm not sure if I said in the thread, but Amala has an article on the wiki.

On the note of the All Races Playable mod, looks like my modification to allow elves to dig crashes the game. I am sad. I should probably mention it there (even if it is a modification of a mod that's trying to undo at least a part of what the original mod was trying to do).
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 27, 2022, 12:29:54 pm »

Everything else aside, I highly recommend reading the Ketas and Kosoth storyline to everyone. Not just for the sake of historical context, but just because it's quite good. QD strikes a really excellent menacing tone with them, and at times there's a haunting feeling for me on re-reads knowing what comes from their actions. Not to mention setting up a potential big bad in the form of the Abyssal Cult and their dark diety.

Funny, how many of us use this Museum world to craft all of these storylines when the main point originally was to fill Boltspumpkin up with all manner of knick knacks. But for me, I came for the premise, and stayed for the writing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:31:36 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 27, 2022, 12:44:56 pm »

Ah, I most definitely came for the story (and firstly, to build fortresses; that's all I knew at the time and this is still the only place I play adventure mode; though it's taught me (theoretical) tricks like if you want to clean up your map and don't want to ruin the resources, just get rid of the excess with an adventurer moving it to another part of the map).

Re:K & K storyline, I started reading, but I lost my interest after seeing what kind of people they were. I'm not a goody-two-shoes, not at all, but a group doing horrors for the joy of doing them or for some twisted science just sat wrong with me, just as Malladang and goblins in general disgust me (and Malladang made me hate goblins even more; usually gob civs, even in this world, are a lot more restrained), but the death of chosen necromancers and some megabeasts actually saddens me, because so much is lost with them in a historical sense. So, I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach their kind of evil. I've said it before, it's not QD's fault and they made a good story out of it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 04:02:59 pm by Lurker Z »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 27, 2022, 04:11:59 pm »

The statement is a fully accurate interpretation, pretty much a summation of my entire post.

As for Kosoth, maybe it was intentional, and I just didn't realize. Going by QD's list of adventurers, by the game's logic, they starved to death in 797, in Ghoulcreek. The flavour being that they succumbed to the concentrated effects of the blight. Might have happened during fortress construction afterwards.

EDIT: After re-reading QDs second post, it seems somewhat ambiguous as to whether it was a purposeful choice or not, having him written as losing most semblance of life by the end. For reasons I can't fathom, I seem to have a false memory of an OOC post mentioning Kosoth's strange death of starvation in the middle of another turn, and folks being sad about such an ignoble end to a figure that shaped much of year 800 onwards.
I suppose I should take this opportunity to shed some light on this.

I didn't intend for Kosoth to starve to death at the start. I was actually split between two endings for them when planning the turn - one in which Kosoth would regain enough self-awareness to realise Ketas had manipulated him into becoming a mindless tool dedicated to spreading the Blight, then flip out and fight to the death against him in an attempt at redeeming himself (most likely dying in the process), and one in which the two of them finished up by turning a human fort's population into Thralls then retiring there for use in a later story (Rekthor's turn, which I still need to write up and didn't really go to plan). I eventually decided on the latter (since I needed to get onto finishing up Ironwards and was kinda attached to the two evil little gits), only to find it didn't work and only gave starvation as an option; Ghoulcreek was an attempt at getting around this, but it didn't exactly work out.

The ultimate result of this was that Kosoth's gradual degeneration and eventual death from the Blight was written in (with some other bits influenced by this thread and others) as an ex post-facto explanation for why he bit the dirt.

Onto other matters: it's great to see another adventure post from you, tonnot! This one's definitely gotten me hooked; that chapter on Relicward had me on the edge of my seat for much of it! I hope your elf survives whatever they run into in the future...
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: March 27, 2022, 09:49:07 pm »

I enjoyed reading your visitation of Relicwards, Tonnot! I enjoyed making that temple to the death deity, but no, I never sacrificed anything in the pits (didn't have anything to sacrifice). Didn't intend to breach the circus either... there were no survivors.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: March 28, 2022, 02:14:02 am »

Some minor findings for those interested --

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:27:44 am by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 28, 2022, 09:29:50 am »

That's about as roundabout as I went with that adventurer of mine in search for Amala.

The easier way to see all this is to make a fort in a throwaway timeline over the town itself that you want to investigate. You can easily do this with the embark anywhere DFhack command. Optional to use the reveal command, it might show you underground structures or creatures, and also what kind of animal people might spawn in the caves.

For me, when I make a fort over such a site, it usually gives me thousands of creatures. Another feather on the theory of Dwarf Fortress and Adventure Mode being two different games that can be ran in the same world through the same executable. This might also explain why Avolition (I think it was Avolition, right?) killing a few hundred goblins or maybe less was able to wipe out Ribiromimi's 5000 "abstract" goblin population. I'm 90% certain if you use the fort method on the site Avolition killed those goblins before Avolition got there, you'll find 5000 goblins with names and everything.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: March 28, 2022, 10:31:38 am »

Loving the detective work. It wouldn’t be a Museum game without stress testing the very limits of what is possible in Dwarf Fortress…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: March 28, 2022, 12:20:56 pm »

So in regards to Ribiromimi's population, when i took an hour to get to the door on sight. There were units everywhere so those 5000 goblins/elves did exist. As soon  as i unloaded the site as it was taking minutes between actions. When i went to return it would crash me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 28, 2022, 07:52:04 pm »

Short one for today. Laggy sites, crashes, and other real life duties got in the way of doing more.

Dark ones, hollow hunters, fell ones, etc. being completely silent during conversations is both fittingly ominous (in some cases) or just frustrating (in most cases). This was the former, at least.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: March 29, 2022, 02:14:44 pm »

I'm certain Irthu, Athama, and Ragnar are friendly sorts! Maybe Yawo just came at a bad time? :p

Guess I'm more surprised they didn't immediately slaughter you. I suppose intelligent undead aren't OPPOSED TO LIFE.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: March 29, 2022, 05:01:47 pm »

It seems to be a bit unpredictable. I have met plenty intelligent undead who just stand there and ignore you, and some (even dwarves from the Walled Dye who have been raised) attack on sight.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: March 29, 2022, 05:40:26 pm »

Yeah its wierd, had undead adventurers attack me and other undead adventurers just be peaceful.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: March 30, 2022, 05:15:51 pm »

Maybe they've made an enemy of a group or civ you're a member of, or vice versa
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: March 30, 2022, 11:36:27 pm »

Maybe they've made an enemy of a group or civ you're a member of, or vice versa

I'd be surprised of Kesat isn't an enemy of every civ at this point.

Spoiler: Yawo's journey ends! (click to show/hide)

RIP to my homies. I'll have the save uploaded tomorrow morning.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 11:43:39 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 263