Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409795 times)

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1875 on: April 06, 2022, 03:26:30 pm »

I will put the save up for you on monday, if that helps in planning.
As for my adventure, it is not the Treatyseed thing, I don't think I'd be up for a task that daunting.
It is something different from the regular adventures though, and we have discussed it before. Here we go.

aight cool, good thing i have set my browser to always open up bay12 when i start it up now, so this time i will make sure i won't miss
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: April 06, 2022, 05:21:28 pm »

This will, without a doubt, be an entertaining turn.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: April 06, 2022, 05:30:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yikes! Well, happy Easter massacre, everyone!

Hm, I'm curious if they'll throw themselves at player forts with Invasion:on in a frenzy.
aight cool, good thing i have set my browser to always open up bay12 when i start it up now, so this time i will make sure i won't miss
Yes, that's what I've been doing lately so I can "follow" this thread. This system hasn't let me down yet.

I hope you can make your turn, good luck.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: April 06, 2022, 05:47:24 pm »

Official counts tell us that today, only one Gremlin remains in the world, in the Teal Pit, a cave on the inaccessible “Dreamy Island”. I had therefore abandoned all hope that the species could be saved.

Well, that must be "Deem." According to the story, there were four Gremlins on the Dreamy Island, discovered by Tipi Fatewalks (Eric Blank). Gerry drowned. Deem was out hunting. Ferra and Malvo were later encountered by Moldath...

Untill one day an old man showed up at the museum with a caged gremlin. He told me that despite the fact that this particular gremlin was resistant to sunlight, I should never let it come in contact with water, or feed it after midnight.

Um... in a strange coincidence, that old "man" was Moldath. He brought the blood-drained corpses of Ferra and Malvo back to Boltspumpkin and reanimated them as Dark Ones.

This should be interesting :D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:50:09 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: April 06, 2022, 06:10:36 pm »

This will, without a doubt, be an entertaining turn.
highly agree, i wonder what BralBaard will do next
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: April 07, 2022, 02:40:19 am »

Oh good god, Bralbaard actually went through with it? Assuming FPS death is avoided, this is going to be quite the interesting turn.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: April 07, 2022, 04:46:10 pm »

I was at the top floor of the museum when the gremlin multiplication started. Hundreds of gremlins poured down the stairs into the museum. Fascinated by this unexpected development I followed them down. When the gremlins made it to the main hall I got my first chance to observe gremlin behaviour, they started to climb over the museum exhibits, and a few unlucky visitors. 
My mood soured somewhat when I found that one of the visitors was the old man that had sold me the caged gremlin. He looked at me accusingly, said my family would be cursed for ten generations and left, leaving behind a faint smell of decay. Meanwhile gremlins were breaking down the museum. I took out my notebook and started taking notes when the head of the museum staff walked over and said I was fired.

When I packed my stuff I noticed that the gremlins were following me around. Apparently they considered me some kind of leader. I was strangely pleased with myself. This was my chance to save the gremlin race.   A plan formed in my head. I would travel the world, leaving small groups of gremlins behind. They could fill the ruined and empty villages that are everywhere, a first step to heal the world. I started by instructing a small group of six gremlins to stay behind in the museum itself. They would be my official submission to the museum, whether the museum wanted it or not.

After that we travelled to Thiefguild, and we visited the tavern there. The dwarves were happy to accept ten gremlins, apparently they expected they would fit in perfectly in their stealthy organisation. We then travelled to Herograves, where another group was left behind.

I can not say that the journey was easy. At first I was fascinated by gremlin social behaviour. Their interaction exists mostly out of telling each other jokes.

The gremlin that tells the best jokes will rise in social standing, and have a better chance of scoring a mate. The effect in a gremlin troupe like this one is that at any one time, dozens of gremlins are trying to outwit eachother by telling a novel joke, and the cacophony of high pitched voices and laughter make it almost impossible to function for outsiders like me. 

Despite these problems I tried to learn more about the gremlins. Could they handle simple tools? I created a small number of crude stone axes and distributed them to a few gremlins. Then I tried to instruct them in their use. I swung my axe at a raven, batting it out of the air, hoping to teach the gremlins how to hunt, and survive in nature. The effect it had was unexpected. The attack surprised the gremlins, and the telling of jokes ceased immediately.  Suddenly the gremlins were turning on eachother, demanding eachother to yield, and issuing threats. They stopped short of actually doing harm but the mood was extremely tense. It was like half the gremlins, which in a way were animals like the raven, sided with the raven, while the other half took my side. I restrained myself from use of violence and weapons in front of the gremlins for the next part of my journey. The gremlins however had lost their innocence, and would be threatening eachother for days.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 02:44:29 pm by Bralbaard »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: April 07, 2022, 05:27:24 pm »

So the museum received a submission of 6 gremlins, a formerly extinct now endangered species, infamous for its thieving?
In the museum filled with many famous and infamous wonders?

Well I, for one, welcome our new gremlin brothers!

Also respect to how much tedium you have to endure in this turn. Your sacrifice is appreciated

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: April 07, 2022, 07:15:20 pm »

I swung my axe at a raven, batting it out of the air, hoping to teach the gremlins how to hunt, and survive in nature. The effect it had was unexpected. The attack surprised the gremlins, and the telling of jokes ceased immediately.  Suddenly the gremlins were turning on eachother, demanding eachother to yield, and issuing threats. They stopped short of actually doing harm but the mood was extremely tense. It was like half the gremlins, which in a way were animals like the raven, sided with the raven, while the other half took my side. I restrained myself from use of violence and weapons in front of the gremlins for the next part of my journey. The gremlins however had lost their innocence, and would be threatening eachother for days.
Wow, we're verging into new territory here. This in an unexpected bug, but then it's unsurprisingly that something would happen. It's just amazing it hasn't crashed the game yet.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much from such an endeavor, but you've got me hooked. Looking forward for more.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: April 08, 2022, 07:31:30 am »

Please for the love of cacame, bring some to the forest retreats! They'd make better neighbors than Hands of Planesgifts!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: April 08, 2022, 10:52:42 am »

... leaving behind a faint smell of decay.

Moldath confirmed!

Looking forward to the rest of this story and how the Gremlin horde are going to influence Orid Xem!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: April 09, 2022, 03:18:13 pm »

By sprinting ahead of the gremlin pack I can spend at least part of my time outside of hearing range of the goblin jokes, making the journey a lot more pleasant. I have made a worrying discovery however. It appears that the gremlins that I left behind at the museum and other sites have all dissapeared, and I can only conclude they must have been unable to survive without me, or the rest of the gremlin pack. There is no trace of them. 31 gremlins are lost and only 350 remain.

I should have predicted this. It is a common problem when trying to reintroduce species back to the wild. Creatures bred in captivity lack the training and experience necessary to survive in nature, or in this case civilisation, and quickly perish. It was a mistake to abandon them so quickly. I must prepare the other gremlins better, and the only way to do that is by spending a long time training them.

I talked to the dwarves at Waterdeep, a fortress at the source of the Purged Loot. I need them to assist in constructing a fortress for the gremlins, where I can prepare them better for their future. I hate dealing with dwarves, but only they are allowed to build new settlements.
As expected the negotiations went far from smoothly:

“So mr. SquareWheel, you want to make use of our services to build a fortress for you? First of all,  who will be going to live there?”
“The gremlins, and me. There's a lot of gremlins, but they will assist during the construction of the fortress"
“Gremlins?” That is not possible I am afraid”
“What do you mean?“
“We only allow intelligent creatures into our fortresses as inhabitants or visitors. Gremlins are too short, it is well established that you must be this tall to be intelligent” (The dwarf pointed to a height somewhere halfway his beard, indicating the height of a kobold)
I responded angrily: "I’m two heads taller than you, it may be better to drop the argument about heigth and intelligence”
“Stop insulting me, mr SquareWheel! You will have to enter all of the gremlins in the animal category instead. They will not be allowed to work and must at all times behave behave like proper animals.”
“Master dwarf. I did not mean to insult you but we simply need them to work or we will not be able to feed 350 gremlins and provide them with clothing.”
“Clothing!!? Mr Squarewheel you know as well as I do that clothing a gremlin is strictly against regulation DF0.47.05!! We can provide clothing for any creature of a variety of sizes that is listed in the appendix of the regulation, but even though it covers a lot of creatures such as elephant men, undead and even  rodent men, it is clear that gremlins are not listed. We simply can not allow this.  In fact, mr. Squarewheel, I can read your thoughts, and I will assure you that none of the creatures that are listed in the appendix are even remotely as small as the gremlin, so do not even try to work around the rules by seeking a substitute."

I finally accepted a deal as I had no other options. According to my calculations it would take two years to uplift the gremlins to full citizenship, at that point they should be able to make their own clothing. After the main contract was done the dwarf handed me an enormous stack of paper sheets. "Please sign a form in triplicate for each gremlin" He demanded. "Without it we can not leave!"

I will spare you the details of my time spend in the dwarven fortress. It was terrible, and a complete failure. The seven dwarves that were assigned to the mission were as strict on the rules as the trader I spoke to earlier, and we simply could not provide enough food for the gremlins. I knew they were carnivores and had assumed that they would happily eat eggs or prepared eggs and had planned accordingly by ordering a large number of turkeys from the trader. In no time we had thousands of eggs. I had ordered the dwarves to work full time in the kitchen to boil those eggs. But the gremlins would only eat raw meat,and did not touch the eggs. The horses and yak cows that were brought along were devoured in no time, and the seven dwarves could simply not work fast enough to butcher the turkeys in time and there were only keas to hunt. The turkeys would also only have lasted a month or two at most. It was simply not possible to feed 350 gremlins with a working population of seven dwarves. I decided to leave with all the gremlins when the situation grew desperate, as I knew they were able to forage for their own food outside in the wilds.

So now I find myself again in the wilds, with a horde of starving, desperate and angry gremlins.   

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 05:15:48 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: April 09, 2022, 04:42:20 pm »

Genuinely laughing out loud here! This is epic. Those poor turkeys...

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: April 09, 2022, 06:06:13 pm »

You think you could possibly gift groups of them to npcs?

I know its finnicky with them since they simultaneously sapient and animal

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: April 09, 2022, 06:13:44 pm »

I'm not surprised, though I apologize for not thinking of mentioning it. I did an alternate universe run with an adventurer in Orid Xem, though I forget at this time for what, retired the world... and the adventurer was gone. Not even in Legends Mode. I think for a character to become a historical figure, they need to do something, even if interacting with an artifact (easier would be a book).

Something else I didn't think would come in handy until now, I remember seeing an unnamed kea (I think in Orid Xem too, in someone else's turn) become a historical figure once it ran off the map with an artifact. So that's one more point on how gremlins leaving the site with an artifact, book, scroll etc. might make them historical figures.

“We only allow intelligent creatures into our fortresses as inhabitants or visitors. Gremlins are too short, it is well established that you must be this tall to be intelligent”
My headcanon is that each fortress has its own rules. They're semi-autonomous states in themselves, with emphasis on the autonomy part. My forts at least welcome animal people unless it's against lore, because some are at least as strong or stronger/faster than dwarves. On the other hand, I recommend against goblins, they're weak and have really nasty personality traits, they form grudges, love brawls etc. There's a reason even in Legends Mode you'll see them casually murdering sapients during peace-time when it's convenient to them. My forts wouldn't take a gremlin or something that can't haul at least as well as dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 263