Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409528 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2055 on: May 19, 2022, 07:10:12 pm »

It’s possible that the discrepancies in size of the world.dat file are due to whether it is saved in a compressed or uncompressed format, which is an option in the Lazy Newb Pack.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 19, 2022, 11:18:22 pm »

Ive checked my savegame too and unfortunately the same error and crash occur for me, too. The hillocks are all perfectly visit-able, but not the fort, either in adventure mode or trying to resume control over it. Whatever happened must have occurred as I retired the fort, and I dont have any additional backups
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 20, 2022, 08:35:16 am »

That is unfortunate. Thanks for looking into it. I'll mark Warshrieks as lost to the corruption when I do the next map update.
That means Quantum Drop can get started with their turn.

This is the link that Nogoodnames posted earlier:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15943
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:23:27 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 20, 2022, 10:45:38 am »

A solution I found for my own sites crashing was starting as or taking over an adventurer, retiring it, then reclaiming the fort. It worked every time. I don't know the principles at play at all, but I know it worked every time for some unknowable reason. This means keeping the session continuous until it lets you into the fortress.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:41:21 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 20, 2022, 01:08:06 pm »

Unfortunate to hear about Warshrieks being lost. I'll get started on the save tomorrow - have some stuff to take care of tonight.

EDIT: Huh, looks like Jas got married to Destis Sisterbreeches.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:49:51 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 20, 2022, 01:51:45 pm »

A solution I found for my own sites crashing was starting as or taking over an adventurer, retiring it, then reclaiming the fort. It worked every time. I don't know the principles at play at all, but I know it worked every time for some unknowable reason. This means keeping the session continuous until it lets you into the fortress.

Worth a shot anyway. We could attempt to unretire it after each adventurer/fort, see if it let's anyone in in the future.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 20, 2022, 09:40:40 pm »

You can test it on a throwaway save. That's why I did, I used to make throwaway saves after each turn to get the newly generated creatures' names through The Masonry Method, but my own fortresses crashed without letting me enter them. So I suspected (on the flimsy logic that this is an adventurer-heavy succession game) that going into adventure mode, then retiring an adventurer and going into fort mode will fix it. Again, I have no idea why it worked for me, but it did.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 21, 2022, 07:25:17 pm »

Forgotten - Tales of would be adventurers by Rura Parchedswamp, Unwilling apprentice to the historian guild.

Did I ever tell you the one about the crabs and the historian guild? Needless to say it put me in a real pinch. Turns out they weren’t too happy with my joke. Said I crossed a line and now I have to fill in for one of their historians who was recovering from “crab wounds” bloody baby, sounds like nonsense to me. It was a few hours of them discussing what to give me before they dumped my assignment on his desk. That hooked nose one snickered as he walked away from my newly assigned desk. To think they would send a hammer woman in place of a historian.

Volume 1 - Echos of a beekeeper

The first would be adventurer I was given the task of researching was Egesh Clinchedhide. I wondered why they assigned me to this would be an adventurer who didn't make it. Her story was pretty old and I doubt anyone knows what happened to her. But I had to cross the tundra of heroes and come back with a story on top. Before I departed I ensured I bought the supplies I needed, a nice barrel of strawberry wine will do nicely as i undertake the long journey south.

I arrived in Stabbedechoed, on the 2nd of Opal. A local farmer named Rogan was the first soul I met. After some talking she agreed to let me stay at her house for the night as long as I shared some strawberry wine. She even mentioned he knew some stuff about Egesh. Called her The Helmed Teacher of Palisades. Arriving at her abode I was met by the sight of rags and bones littering the ground. She told me to ignore the mess, but it keeps them at bay. The then she referred to are magma crabs and blind cave bears, MAGMA CRABS. Needless to say i would have ran out if not for Rogan being in the way. “This place used to belong to Xem Inkmaurve” she said. This name was someone completely different, did i just enter a cannibalistic mad woman's home. “This was her home until she was butchered”.

Needless to say Stabbedechoed is a dangerous place, a place with mad people, deadly bears and Magma crabs (yes this is real). The ground and homes are littered with remains in various states of decay. I for sure though i was gonna be murdered by this strange woman and ofcourse the guild would send me to this nightmare of a place. But she didn't kill me. After a horrific night in this disgusting place fueled by a heavy night of the strawberry wine, I finally had enough information to get back out of here.

Egesh Clinchedhide was the local beekeeper in town, trading her wares with the town. She would often interact with warriors in Stabbedechoed. One of them showed her the basics of combat and in time she would acquire equipment, she had plans to explore the world and head towards Boltspumpkin. On the day she was to leave something happened. Which resulted in her attacking multiple members of the town killing five. She was manic attacking wildly, her swings erratic and crazed. A trainer for the local warriors, a Sapa Sweetnessclash intervened, she  saw the wild swings and in a swish of her silver whip she struck down Egesh. She became a local hero and would marry and die of old age in Stabbedechoed. Whilst Egesh became sometime more, she was a lesson. The name Helmed Teacher of Palisades, it was given to her as an ironic title, a moral story told to warriors who fought with reckless abandon. The meaning being that although armored, a single blow could still deal leathal damage and lead to your death.

The citizens of Stabbedechoed know the name Egesh for a curse that befalls the town, she is to blame with the death, monsters and attacks here. The town is infested with beasts, blind cave bears and magma crabs alike. Both are attracted to the seemingly endless supply of corpses and body parts that litter the street. Apparently up until recently citizens would go mad, start attacking people, adventurers would come and clean it up but the madness would always return. Recently the band of wax arrived and helped clean up the madness. However the new corpses are attracting more blind cave bears. The bleakness of the streets littered with teeth, the bones protrude from the ground like blades of grass.  As the wagon leaves the boundaries of Stabbedechoed, I feel that for all the answers I received one question still lingers in my mind. What made her go crazy?

A few weeks later, I returned to my “desk”, writing up my findings. Those chumps from the historian guild were disappointed to see me back in one piece. Of course it wasn't long after publishing my piece that they were “interested” to see me write more. They assigned me to be an apprentice for the guild and said they had my next assignment ready. Sut take me now.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 22, 2022, 03:13:08 am »

Nice to see someone revisit the old, missing stories. This was from Ionmatrix turn, turn 24.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 26, 2022, 01:30:21 am »

Third adventures of Pik and Desli, Part two

The town of Incenseorder, realm of the charcoal brute lord Yane Crowdsquashes, lay empty as ever. The lonely lord waited in the empty keep, until the day Pik and Desli arrived. When they entered, he became enraged and attacked them unprovoked. The enormous four-horned sauropod bathed them in fire, and roared in fury when they stood unperturbed, having blocked its flames with their shields. The beast stood no chance in hand-to-hand combat, Desli striking the final blow. The town lay empty now.

The surrounding hamlets did not. Many of them were inhabited, but overrun with blighted thralls. It felt like the pair killed hundreds on the march south towards Boltspumpkin, hundreds of innocent civilians lay dead in piles on the floors of their own homes, eaten alive by their friends and families, or unceremoniously hacked to pieces by the wandering adventurers. The duo had the ever-creeping sensation of deja-vu as the encounters became more and more familiar, even apparently repeating, as if he universe did not approve of the culling of the infected. Finally, after what seemed like weeks, but only took three days, they reached the Museum.

Once there, they began searching the archives for answers to the source of the recurring, waking "dreams." There were many dozens of such reports, including Desli's own dream of fighting the undead, long ago while she herself were alive. The phenomenon occurred seemingly at random, but like their dreams of fighting the blighted thralls, would sometimes recur many times in quick succession. But, there was no conclusive answer as to why, or what these dreams meant. The sufferers always seemed to be adventurers. Adventurers who sought out the Museum, even, as these dreams did not affect the average wanderer.

The dreams didn't happen for the rest of the week, and eventually exhausting all information, the pair decided to leave behind their own description along with a new piece for the museum; an artifact grate left on the second story. Their own story was thus;

"Desli and I both have been experiencing shared 'waking dreams', where despite not falling asleep we would find ourselves in a different place, usually a hamlet or village, the ones north of the museum, near the sea. The hamlets were empty or filled with corpses, or terrified villagers fled from their homes before we reached them, chased by their own crazed kinsmen. We fought to defend the villagers but all too often they would be torn to shreds. Once, even, I was overwhelmed and torn to pieces. I say once, because the dreams would repeat, even as we actually walked south towards the museum. It often felt viscerally real, and then suddenly we would 'wake up' back at some point we believed we'd passed hours before, only to repeat again as we approached the hamlet where the events of the 'dream' had happened. This repeated over and over, until we passed through most of human civilization and were only two days travel from the museum, and has not occurred again since."

Soon the pair were debating returning north as they left the castle, and encountered a dwarf in. He introduced himself as Zon Packedtrusses, a representative of the Walled Dyes and merchant. He sought an adventurer or party to help move goods from the old fortresses of Championvaults, now apparently overtaken by goblins, and Sealsabres, and bring them to a site they had selected for a new fortress. The job was to be done discretely, as it was of great importance to the Walled Dyes. Although payment was a nebulous promise, including a pile of gold and equipment, the pair agreed, largely uninterested in material wealth.

This trip took several weeks, but once it was done, the pair settled down in a new log cabin, in the mountains near a stream, across a lake, where they would once again be largely alone, in another scenic location.

So that was it. The "dreams" were repeating crashes while going through hamlets on the way south. There wasn't a plan or intention when I started my adventurers, I didn't actually have a plan. I did decide after making it to the museum and depositing that artifact grate, to borrow some equipment from Championvaults and Sealsabres to establish Warshrieks and a militia that I used to engage in war against the goblins and that pesky human civ that theyre at war with, which led to becoming a barony and the establishment of the hillocks. Unfortunate that it was all lost.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:36:45 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 26, 2022, 02:55:00 am »

From the desk of Leto Searchpraise, Senior Apprentice to the Historian’s Guild
2nd Timber, 879

Dearest diary, how wonderful it is (in spite of present circumstances) to be writing again! It has been far too long since I took up the quill. Six years! Six! Where has the time gone!? It shames me to admit it, but I fell into something of a deep depression over my inability to complete my final dissertation. A single piece of new history to graduate to full guild membership? I was sure it would be child’s play. Alas, everywhere I looked I was plagued with false starts, unfinished tales and well-trodden ground. Everything of substance I found was already known to the guild. I thought I finally had something with that gorlack. I payed that courier extra for his guarantee that no one in the north had seen that recovered journal. But it was incomplete! How can I turn an incomplete account into my magnum opus? There must be finality!

Since then I haven’t had the will to do much of anything. Mostly I just locked myself away in the library and tried to forget myself in the collected books. It was not a happy time.

And so that brings us to today. Or rather, yesterday, when I received a sealed letter from the head historian. If I do not complete my dissertation by the end of the year, they are going to rescind my apprenticeship and expel me from the guild! After all I’ve done for them! All the long nights dusting tomes, correlating dates, tracing genealogies - all for nought! The indignity of it all has me halfway convinced I should throw the letter back in his face and set fire to the library on my way out, but I won’t stoop to their level. This is a wake up call. If my work ethic is not enough, then let spite be my fuel!

There’s only one thing to be done. I must venture out into the world and find my own piece of history. Yes, that’s what those snobs at the guild suggested in the first place, but I see no other option left to me. I don’t intend on getting myself killed. If I’m to survive the wilds, I’ll need some help. Thus I have come to The North Cinnamon, a tavern in the town of Incenseorder. The town has something of a seedy reputation, and I’m sure I can get some local toughs to draw off any dangerous attention.

As luck would have it, Just as I reached the tavern, two severely beat bruisers came barrelling out the door. I peaked inside and saw a dwarven woman jeering after them.

“That’s right, ya louts! Next time, think twice afore messin’ with yer betters!” she yelled at the fleeing men.

I’ve met few dwarves, but this one stood out among even that odd crowd. She looked closest to those of the Walled Dye but her mahogany hair had a stronger colour than any I’ve seen, and her skin had olive – perhaps even green – undertones. I wondered briefly if she might have some goblin blood in her. The dwarf caught me staring and met my gaze steadily. Even with a solid two foot height advantage, I felt a twinge of unease. Well, she wasn’t exactly the bodyguard I had in mind but could clearly handle herself. I cleared my throat and made to approach her.

As I stepped forward, I suddenly found my path blocked by an absolutely massive man. Nearly as tall to me as I to the dwarf and rippling with muscle. So solid and silent was he that I had mistaken him for one of the building’s support pillars. He wore a helmet that obscured his face, but his dark skin and golden hair marked him as a man of the south, The Realm of Silver. I was keenly aware of the battle axe he carried with a blade as wide as my torso, now angled ever so slightly so as to give the impression that it might be used to cleave me in two at any moment.

“Aw leave ‘im be, Juvar. Ya think this scrawny runt is any threat?” said the dwarf. That made the giant take a step back, but I could still feel his eyes on me. “Watcha want, babyface?”

In spite of the insults, I straightened up and made my case. To their credit, the two of them heard me out and only snickered a few times. After I finished they left to discuss the matter amongst themselves while I waited patiently. Finally they returned, looking thoughtful.

“Arright, Leto was it?” asked the dwarf. I nodded in affirmative. “I’m Dana Hailmurders, of no clan, and this here’s Juvar Scarsung of Omon Obin.” she said, jutting her thumb out at the southerner. “We’re a couple of misfit drifters who washed up here. I’m a miner. Tried to get a job at Emeraldcrown but they’re only taking glassmakers. Can you believe that? Dwarves that don’t dig!? No wonder the place still isn’t roofed.”

“Anyway...” she continued, “Juvar’s a mercenary, but no one here’s been paying enough recently. Also-”

Juvar raised a hand and motioned to speak for the first time. “You know my homeland?”

I answered that, yes, I had some knowledge about it. Any less-than-diplomatic opinions though, I kept to myself.

“I have heard rumours of a new law giver. One who fights to take the land back from the blight. I would like to know the truth of this.” said the towering man. I waited to see if he would say anything else, but that was all.

Dana spoke up again, “Yeah, Juvar came north to get away from the whole zombie apocalypse mess down there. If yer heading that way we could tag along for a reasonable price. We’re a package deal though, and we’ll want a share of any loot.”

In the end I negotiated them down to something I could afford, plus first dibs on anything of historical significance. I had to sell my horse, but she was getting on in the years anyway. I loathe the thought of crossing the Tundra of Heroes and prancing around in that backwater, but I see little chance of getting a better deal from anyone remotely competent.

Before we left, Juvar pulled me aside and handed me a dagger. I tried to refuse, but he insisted I take it. “I cannot defend one who does not defend himself.” was all he said. We shall see about that.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 26, 2022, 09:39:44 am »

Sweet! Two updates in one day.

It's a real shame about Warshrieks. It must be a pain knowing that work is lost. Glad that cinnamon brute is gone though.

And NGN, love your artwork as always. Nice to see the High Confederacies get some love again. Incenseorder - is becoming popular once more!

Leto Searchpraise is finally at large. His great-great-grandfather and namesake Leto Searchpraise the First would be very proud, I am sure, to see him with a dagger in his hand!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 26, 2022, 01:49:56 pm »

It's always awful for us to lose data here, but there's not much we can do I'm afraid. Honestly I don't even know if there is a proper way we can avoid the occasional corruption with how often the save changes hands into different environments. One day THE WORM consumes all, eh? Regardless, I'm glad you added on to the rest of Pik and Desli's story Eric. Even if you didn't have much of a goal, I have a softspot for them so I'm always glad to read what's going on with em!

Gotta second Kesperan for sure, but even if the awesome art wasn't accompanying your posts NGN, still greatly enjoy what you bring to the table. Not to mention anytime our non-physical historians guild is mentioned, I can't help but smile. Looking forward to Leto and his band's adventure! Make some history!
I've lost control of my life.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 26, 2022, 06:38:49 pm »

To be fair, the work wasn't all lost: there's still piles of goblin corpses and sites conquered to count, and the act of war itself was the purpose behind the forts foundation, in an ideal location sealsabres just wasn't in.
I make Spellcrafts!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 30, 2022, 05:00:01 pm »

Right then, adventure's finished. Here's the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15950

The world was mostly stable, though there were a couple crashes seemingly caused by AI necromancy. No sites I visited seemed to cause CTDs.

I'll try and get my first post out tomorrow (or Wednesday). Good luck to diogo_alt_tab on their turn!

Love the artwork and story so far, NGN! Always good to see your work in the thread; looking forward to seeing how Leto and his band fared in their adventures!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 05:24:36 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 263