Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409377 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2100 on: June 11, 2022, 04:58:23 pm »

I like how you've justified the bare-bones implementation of adventurer nobility as a consequence of the ear's machinations. Good stuff!
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Cook100500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: June 11, 2022, 10:09:51 pm »

One has always played adventure mode because one have never figured out how to build stairs down in fortress mode. One always have been confused on how do ones playing fortress mode are frustrated or just don't know how to play adventure mode. For now one do not play adventure mode as it is almost always inhabited by no one except the undead in his custom 20000+ years old worlds, and one loves playing vampires and necromances and with ones disabled one's gameplay would loose a lot of interest.

One is fascinated with the stories being told there, and because of that one wants to join the queue on the adventure.

One is dabbling at English skill and formatting: he can understand everything, yet he can express few. But one is adequate writer and can use his low language skills to write something even if it is of low quality regarding language comperhention, and one thinks it's a great opportunity to improve his skills at writing, play adventure mode after a long hiatus, and have a part in an interesting project made by enthusiastic one's.

Can one join?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: June 12, 2022, 12:59:49 pm »

Welcome, I'll add you to the list!

Edit:
I missed all the drama with the latest save game troubles. Do I understand correctly that the crash is fixed but that we are waiting for further experiments to see if Warshrieks can be fixed as well?

Edit 2: Also, great updates by everyone!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 01:26:12 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: June 12, 2022, 04:57:48 pm »

Maloy has handed the save over to me, I have downloaded it and made a start.

Incenseorder doesn't crash but Maloy's wolf man is still a bit... wonky.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 12, 2022, 06:53:22 pm »

Maloy has handed the save over to me, I have downloaded it and made a start.

Incenseorder doesn't crash but Maloy's wolf man is still a bit... wonky.
If you missed my updated save, hitting Maloy with a full-heal and making him reequip his stuff should fix any residual wonkiness. Well, as long as he doesn't lose another limb that is...

Warshrieks is loadable if you prevent it from spawning any of the inhabitants, so one or more of them is causing the crash. Problem is, there are 158 inhabitants and I don't have a good way of narrowing it down. Maybe it's the same werebeast crash, maybe not.
(Or maybe it's the nemesis vector? I have no idea how the nemesis system works but it has 160 entries vs. 158 units so maybe there are a couple bad entries. Someone more knowledgeable about dfhack and the df data structures could probably figure it out.)

Edit: I did some more testing and it turns out mid-transform werebeasts cause two nemesis records, presumably for their were and normal forms. So it seems likely that Warshrieks has two transformed werebeasts that are causing the crashes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 07:54:07 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 13, 2022, 07:20:24 pm »

Thanks guys! I figured I had to justify how the wolf man became a lord and yet is universally not respected by his people, and this playthrough actually had a lot of interaction with the stories of other adventurers. I really wanted to explore the social system

If it works I can implement a personal rule for the wolf man: If he loses a limb, but somehow survives it with no danger nearby I will use full-heal on him to prevent the bug. Since his werecurse will make him regenerate anyway it isn't metagaming, and I can rp that as a residual effect of the ear or something.
Sorry this part doesn't have more pictures it would've just been pictures of me standing in the woods or in front of a hill.
Here is the music of choice for this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8qMyBWZNw0&ab_channel=SkoomaScamp

Part Two

Journal Entry
The plan so far is this: Recruit capable-appearing warriors to stay in Incenseorders and protect the town. Easier said than done. The surrounding hamlets didn't even boast a single "wrestler" to defend themselves with and usually fled at the sight of danger or bunkered down and hoped they were not found. Incenseorder boasted 4 soldiers, all of whom made a career out of ignoring my orders since the ear forsook me, two were "wrestlers" who essentially were just local drunks who got in trouble for brawling and are doing this as community service, the third is an archer who was a hunter who hadn't gone into the forest in years for fear of blight or bandit, and finally a pikeman who is old enough and feeble enough where we all have openly wondered how he is still alive. It's an uphill task.
Secondly, more important and secret as well, was to reach the vampire blood at the museum. If the Ear was so determined to look down on me and outlive me I would show it! An immortal wolf lord leading my people to a prosperous future! Who's ambitions are petty now? HA!

So far I have convinced the elves that I am quite capable as a Lord. While both have been very receptive to me "Mira" ended up causing arthur to be alienated from me. She shows much appreciation and interest in me and this seems to agitate the elf man. They bicker like an old couple, but it never comes off as them not wanting to be around each other.

It's confusing and she seems to use me to fuel his frustration. Moments like this I miss Zon even more

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As we made our way south we checked in on the neighboring hamlets. Most were abandoned completely. In a few there were dead bodies. The bodies of blight victims which seemed to take forever to age. I had learned previously that the best way to deal with the blight was to avoid it all together and so closed the door on the homes after I found them.
It was worth checking the abandoned homes though. Over the last few years scavengers and bandits wandered the area and if we ran into any we might be able to convince them into the service.

We did finally meet one of the inhabited hamlets: Masteredgriffons.
Despite the ear's silence the people here still respected me. Likely because they only came to know of me after I became lord. The respect was appreciated, and it was nice to hear trade was going well.
They were a main supplier to incenseorder which served as a trade center. I am quite proud of that as before I took over there was only one store in town despite there being many merchants
I shared the story of my rise to lordship, and stumbled over the unimportant details, and then spoke on the importance of cooperation and sacrifice.
Everyone found it quite boring including Mira and Arthur, but they all showed some interest in the topic.

The town had no warriors to speak of at all and we had to continue on. We passed yet even more bodies in an abandoned section of the hamlet and Arthur piped up "What has happened here to leave so many dead and why are they left here?"
"Some are bandits or the victims of bandits being left where they fell. Others are victims of the blight. Usually you don't touch the bodies in case they are blight victims and infect you, but also many times there just aren't enough people left alive who will discover the bodies."
"That is so sad" He replied visibly disturbed. "Prey weeps" Mira retorted
I didn't respond, but the question certainly left me thoughtful: Curiosity was often rewarded around here with tragedy. So much so that even looking around at abandoned houses on the other side of town might spell your doom. We all had strong boundaries in life and had good reason for doing so. If I became a vampire though I'd likely be immune to the plague anyway.

Most of the woodland trip was filled with the two elves giving news. Their homeland was frequently reclaiming forest retreats now and they both chattered endlessly about one expedition or another spreading the magical woodlands further afield again. I couldn't place it, but they seemed of different minds in how they reacted to this.

Our final stop before the rest of the trip would be through wildlands was the abandoned castle of Padcalls. There were no scavengers in this place either, but there were a couple more bodies in the village outside the castle. As we approached the castle itself we actually could hear sounds coming from the central keep. I was eager to see who it was so I waltzed right up to the door before Mira loudly hissed for my attention. "Do you know who is in there? It could be brigands"
This didn't really occur to me. Things had been so quiet around here lately, but it was also too late as I had already begun pushing the door open as she mentioned this very logical thought.
Inside an intimidating figure had already turned to face me. A human warrior, powerful and imposing stood surrounded by the bodies and blood of blight victims. I recognized him. He was one of those ones who I tried to send to fight the army of Dubmith but the ear directed them to bandits! Juvar! He also hung around the town a lot before that, but there was something different in his eyes.
"Ah....hello! Good to see you again Juvar!" I said forgetting my noble standing and etiquette.
"I am Lord Juvar now and this is my castle" He flashed me a sharp-toothed grin.

The things we discussed were mostly trivial, but some were incredibly confidential and out of respect...and fear of him I shall not divulge all the details, but suffice to say I was on the very verge of completing my entire quest then and there!
But Juvar had no interest in conversing with me. He barely could stand me and stomped away at the end of our conversation. Whether it had to do with what had happened to him recently or with our past dealings while I was influenced by the ear I could not say, but my hopes were twice dashed. I admit to being tempted towards violence over the defeat, but I likely wouldn't have won and my heart wouldn't allow it.

I hope he will warm up to me eventually having this castle occupied is great for those of us to the north and I'd love to convince him to be a trade partner. Ah well.

From there we made a journey through wilderness which I dearly enjoyed this time. Now that I knew how to hunt and remembered the trail I enjoyed walking through these forests, the mirthful grounds, and more.

The elves caught me up on more news of their lands expanding, but there was contention over a loss of "tradition". Apparently Mira is one of the last worshipers of the elven force-god Cacame while Arthur barely qualifies which is more than most elves give to the being. For my part I relayed stories of history including that of my position. Mira's bobcat had warmed up to me as well. Arthur's fluffy wamblers mainly rode on his shoulder or head, but occasionally when we rested they liked to roll up to Mira and coo in her lap. They were so adorable and I regretfully couldn't help, but sit and think about the rumors about how they didn't have blood, but the sweetest of juices like from a tree.

At the turn of our quest when we crossed the great expanse of wilderness from my lands we found a hillocks! I must've missed it last time or it wasn't here! the dwarves relayed that they had just recently found it, but dwarves live twice as long as humans so I don't trust their use of the word "recent". Either way only 7 dwarves lived there. The militia commander and Sherriff thus had zero interest in moving north, but they did tell me about trade. They had no interest in sending caravans north, because to the east was a fortress that they traded their farm goods for everything: Crownhall the City of Stone
Located deep in the mountains to the east with only a peaceful brook being a guide it'd be a hard trek.
Three things are true about dwarves though
1. They are incredibly strange to everyone, but them
2. They like to collect rare artifacts and prisoners; including the kind that make you immortal
3. They make warriors as good as they do weapons.
So our course was set!

We follow a river to the base of the mountain and stopped to consider our course. I looked up in awe of this stone formation. Millions of times bigger than I and millions of times more perpetual. It was beautiful and I felt so small. Is this how the ear viewed me? Well, if so that's what it is to me! It'd be in a cellar somewhere if it wasn't for me!
As I had worked up the courage to climb this mountain, with no gear I might add, I heard a cry! Arthur had strayed too close to the river and an alligator had begun to attack him!
Mira began firing and I sprinted with all my might drawing my war axe and sword. I chopped at it's neck twice and did little more than break it's scales and draw it's attention while Arthur helplessly prodded it with his wooden spear.
Suddenly, faster than my eye could follow, the alligator grabbed my right steel boot in it's mouth.
There was a pause as I looked it dead in the eye and it looked at me.

It rolled. It rolled with such force and speed that it tore my foot clean off. Time froze and as adrenaline set in I fell to the ground and screamed and screamed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:26:49 pm by Maloy »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: June 19, 2022, 09:28:21 am »

I had a strange dream where I was playing in this world and somehow managed to unlock the ability to build and use nunchaku. Everyone suddenly wanted to make ninja characters, but I woke up before I could see the resulting chaos of a dozen ninjas descending on this world.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Cook100500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: June 19, 2022, 01:10:05 pm »

I had a strange dream where I was playing in this world and somehow managed to unlock the ability to build and use nunchaku. Everyone suddenly wanted to make ninja characters, but I woke up before I could see the resulting chaos of a dozen ninjas descending on this world.
One thinks, nunchacku, is technically a wooden flail. Can one make that using advfort? One suddenly has a desire to create a ninja dwarf

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: June 19, 2022, 05:30:33 pm »

This dream entirely tracks with the reality of this succession game, lol.
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: June 20, 2022, 06:02:44 pm »

More or less finished my turn.

Having some odd bugs with my reclaimed fort - no dwarven caravan is turning up and when I tried to /force, one from Morul Kan turned up... the Page of Tiredness, who have been dead for 780 years. No migrants are coming either.

Will see what I can do to fix it then upload the save tomorrow.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: June 20, 2022, 06:11:58 pm »

That is certainly interesting. Back from the dead to trade? would love to see what legends said happened for that.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: June 20, 2022, 07:01:01 pm »

The Page of Tiredness? Leto's submission to the museum was an anachronistic coin from them. Made of blistered metal, of all things. I figured someone earlier had hacked it in somehow, but maybe something more interesting is going on.
                        - Random human lord

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: June 20, 2022, 07:25:34 pm »

No his submission was an artifact aluminum septre. Looking at legends mode on the last save. Yep, they have no activity after a dragon wiped them out.

Drunken scholar

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: June 20, 2022, 07:49:21 pm »

Whoops, I guess with how slow I've been going with the updates Bralbaard took that as the official submission...

For reference, this is the actual submission:

- Random human lord

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: June 20, 2022, 08:06:38 pm »

Ah i see, well this is certainly something. Perhaps as the world is slowly crumbling different realitys are bleeding in. A coin of an impossible metal, from a dead civilization. Where did you find it? We need to send an dig team out to see what other oddities there are.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 263