Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409724 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2115 on: June 20, 2022, 08:47:03 pm »

The lady of Questedtimes was holding several of the coins, as well as an adamantine wafer. I assumed some other adventurer gave them to her. There were a few other oddities in that hamlet. I'll try to get to them soon.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: June 20, 2022, 09:20:07 pm »

I think Northmanor the Unholy Cathedral has lived up to it's name.

I have worked out why the caravans have stopped coming. The constant rain of malodorous goo causes the pack animals to flee in horror, so the caravan "encountered hardship." Will be interesting to see what it says on Legends Mode. I guess me being in the bad books with the Walled Dye means I don't get any migrants? Oh well, nearly finished either way!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:40:30 am by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: June 21, 2022, 04:46:40 pm »

I've been catching up on reading the stories lately and it's fascinating how much has been happening' both by the players' initiative and through DF's own contrived workings. Please sign me up again' would be great to explore the world some more.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: June 21, 2022, 06:29:57 pm »

OK, here is the save.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15971

I managed to fix the caravan bug - by building a large pallisade around the freakish weather zone, they elected to return from the safe map edges, and brought a monster migrant wave with them. Will  be interesting to see how legends mode handles the apparent ressurection of Morul Kan...

The game is saved on New Years Day 885.

Happy hunting!

Oh, and before I forget: Please sign me up for another turn!

Edit: It seems there is a new King of Morul Kan, after nearly 800 years...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 07:40:38 pm by kesperan »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: June 21, 2022, 07:42:39 pm »

Well played, Kesperan. I am curious to know how you
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In regards to The Page of Tiredness this is most interesting. They have reformed, seems the dwarven merchant wave caused it and made the merchants become its new current leadership complete with worship to their previously forgotten gods.

You can now make a fortress for The Page of Tiredness. Still no idea on the blistered coins history. Perhaps they have been secretly alive all this time, living like shadows to the world.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: June 22, 2022, 02:17:11 am »

That is quite a development..  :o

Nogoodnames submission has certainly increased in importance with the resurrection of Mörul Kan. I've never seen a coin made of divine metal either, this is spooky stuff.
That coin was minted in 769. It might be possible to learn more about it's history by figuring out who was playing around that time..

I'll update the turn list and museum submissions later today.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: June 22, 2022, 07:02:17 am »

What cool developments!

I'm interested in hearing your write up on why and how the page of tiredness came back, Kesperan!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: June 22, 2022, 08:16:32 am »

The lady of Questedtimes was holding several of the coins, as well as an adamantine wafer. I assumed some other adventurer gave them to her. There were a few other oddities in that hamlet. I'll try to get to them soon.

Quantumdrop might have been involved. One of his turns more or less lines up with the date the coin was minted, also see the last sentence under the spoiler in the quote below;
That's a spoiler for a reason, I guess, so probably don't click that if you want to wait for Nogoodnames story.

In the name of keeping the game going, here's the file: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15507

To summarise what's happened, until I can get a proper epilogue written up tomorrow:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:21:36 am by Bralbaard »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: June 22, 2022, 12:23:40 pm »

Quantumdrop might have been involved. One of his turns more or less lines up with the date the coin was minted, also see the last sentence under the spoiler in the quote below;
That's a spoiler for a reason, I guess, so probably don't click that if you want to wait for Nogoodnames story.

Ah, yeah, that might have been me. I remember forging a few divine metal coins and some adamantine via forge-munchkinery, and LV indicates Athama briefly traded with one "Naquuv Pocketclouts" of Questedtimes during his adventures. (She's not the lady of the place, so best guess it that she traded with her boss offscreen). I don't know why they depict The Page of Tiredness' symbol, though - none of the adventurers had any connection to that civ that I know of. Maybe the game picked it at random or as a side effect of advfort being used?

Before I forgot: I would like to be signed up for another turn. Also, eagerly awaiting the write-up on your turn and its events, Kesperan!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:29:30 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: June 22, 2022, 03:57:10 pm »

ooo a civilization literally reborn? That's interesting stuff!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: June 22, 2022, 04:59:21 pm »

ooo a civilization literally reborn? That's interesting stuff!

The thing is... I tried to recreate this on a backup save and everything worked normally. Caravan turns up on time, smooth as clockwork.

For some reason when I reclaimed my fort, the caravan was in a bizarre flux state. There were piles of unclaimable items on the ground which appeared coloured red in the stocks list. The diplomat appeared, asked if I wanted to be a barony, but then the merchants didn't appear.

I used DFHack:
Code: [Select]
caravan list which printed
0: Adilatir arriving 0 days The 0 days didn't really change. I got one initial migrant wave, then loads of "no migrants this season."

Next I tried:
force caravan player which did nothing, and according to the DFhack database, you can use various tags for civilisations, e.g. civ number or biome. So I tried:
force caravan MOUNTAIN And the dudes from Morul Kan pitched up. The elves and humans came as usual, and one year, Morul Kan and Adilatir turned up on the same day, in winter. The hardships/irregularities was due to the pack animals fleeing in terror at having to wade through pools of malodorous goo.

I can also confirm that the 5 new Morul Kan dwarfs are the ones who visited Northmanor. They are grouchy from being in freakish weather and are coated in malodorous goo.

The king is a bit of a badass though. He is mighty, and likes hydras for their seven heads. That's pretty metal. I think making a fort as Morul Kan and trying to reclaim Keyconjure would be pretty cool to try!

Spoiler:  large image (click to show/hide)

Good luck on your turn MrWillsauce! Hope to get started on my story soon. I have 40+ images of varying quality :D.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: June 22, 2022, 05:12:59 pm »

Ah, yeah, that might have been me. I remember forging a few divine metal coins and some adamantine via forge-munchkinery, and LV indicates Athama briefly traded with one "Naquuv Pocketclouts" of Questedtimes during his adventures. (She's not the lady of the place, so best guess it that she traded with her boss offscreen). I don't know why they depict The Page of Tiredness' symbol, though - none of the adventurers had any connection to that civ that I know of. Maybe the game picked it at random or as a side effect of advfort being used?

Before I forgot: I would like to be signed up for another turn. Also, eagerly awaiting the write-up on your turn and its events, Kesperan!

And I'm also looking forward to reading the rest of Maloy's turn, it ended in quite the cliffhanger and I'd like to know if my ear Maloy survived after that alligator attack.
As for the reason that Mörul Kan was picked both for the coin and for the caravan; possibly this is because it was the first civilisation that was spawned in our world? It may simply be on top of the lists that the game defaults to when stuff breaks down

Also, I tried to check if you can play an adventurer from Mörul Kan, but apparently dwarves have become unplayable again. Didn't we have that problem before?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 05:22:05 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 22, 2022, 05:16:07 pm »

No, kobolds are too
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: June 22, 2022, 05:36:59 pm »

Yeah, that's the graphics pack bug over-writing changes to RAWs. That seems to happen a lot when people use LNP (like I do...)

Just have to add OUTSIDER tag back to kobolds and dwarves.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: June 24, 2022, 09:09:38 am »

And I'm also looking forward to reading the rest of Maloy's turn, it ended in quite the cliffhanger and I'd like to know if my ear Maloy survived after that alligator attack.

Well, since you asked!

Finale: The Fate of All

Blood was everywhere. I suppose if you asked me I would have been unable to tell you what goes through someone's head at such a grievous wound, but nothing went through mine. For a time that felt like both a moment and an eternity all I was primal fear and pain.

I rolled around the ground, distancing myself subconsciously from my attacker, while pools of blood drowned the grass around me.
Dimly I could hear Mira and Arthur beating the alligator. With their wooden weapons it was more like chasing off the creature than defeating it, and I was still bleeding everywhere.

The ear was laughing...or maybe I was laughing? But inside as time passed some feet away from the carnage there was a rage inside at the unfairness of it all. What right did a stupid animal have to do this to me?
I realized that I still held onto my axe and sword, and at that very moment I really didn't give a damn about my life. That pathetic creature was going to die

I scrambled with all speed back to the fight. My blood still spurting and sliding through my own pools of blood I had left just trying to get this far.
I beat the alligator again and again in the head with axe and sword. Again and again until it's head and exploded.
And then I passed out.

OOC

Following my...loss. The dream of crossing two separate countries to reach the museum and immortality were now impossible. My only hope was that dwarves, in keeping with their nature of hoarding rare artifacts, would have a book, scroll, captive vampire or something I could use! So I began the grueling journey of crawling up a mountain. I could barely speak. My fine dwarven armor was worn away by being drug along rocks and the occasional stream I would take breaks in. Mira and Arthur were ignorant of a wolf man's ears and didn't know I could hear them as I lay alone on the cold rock at night. Apparently Mira wanted to abandon me. Elves are wild nomads and don't abide cripples. Arthur considered it entirely unacceptable and ultimately won the argument. Finally, after two days of non-stop climbing we reached the tomb of my dreams.

The entrance to the city was one large gate with a massive tower over the top. The entrance was paved with the sides filled with masterful statues of the Shining Sun: the god of blood.
A terrifying warning to all to whom the fortress belonged. But there was no one at the gates. Upon entering the bridges we crossed were filled with steel spike traps beneath, but they were long-covered in thick cobwebs, and if they had ever seen use it had long since worn away. I crawled on my belly still. The smooth stone easier on my body, but making it harder for my claws to pull me along. They were broken and cracked now.

We passed a couple of goblin warriors. They had no interest in conversation with us and seemed to be laying about. But we did find bodies scattered about. Dwarves without a mark on their body laying around in rooms, guard posts, and more. They had all died of old age. On my final stop for my quest for immortality I was constantly assailed by the reality of mortality. Only a few dwarves remained and they were haggard old things. Their minds long gone and they barely acknowledged our existence.
What a cruel fate. To age and die in a place where no one will even bury you for their are none left who will.

The wealth here was immeasurable, presumably the hillocks nearby traded food and drink for the treasures of these halls to the few living members left.
Ancient tomes were scattered everywhere and I tore them open and read and read. My elven companions stood around in the darkness watching the greedy glowing eyes of their wolf lord searching each tome. Many spoke of a necromancer tower and some even spoke about the secrets of life and death, but none contained the secrets

Arthur found a dead guard at the top of the entrance tower. Old age claimed him as the elements wore away at his body beneath the armor. Arthur liberated the dwarf's spear from his clutches to replace his own wooden staff.

Through endless wandering of massive empty halls I found nothing, but death and darkness. The ear was probably laughing to itself endlessly. Fate was so cruel. I crawled across a masterfully engraved bridge and found a throne to some king. A throne to my dreams.
Covered in dust and cobwebs. It's last true owner long gone. This was fate. I laid down and wept

With dreams crushed and hope gone I crawled back home in a journey that took many days. Mira scorned me and was stand offish, but Arthur was constantly checking on me. His fluffy Wamblers would roll down and let me use them as a pillow on the hard ground.

With old age on it's way to claiming me I decided to still use my last days to the benefit of my people. After returning we were able to find and convince a human mercenary to the west to join the defense of our town, in exchange for me teaching him to be a storyteller like me!

I looked over our store house and the piles of gleaming gems I had amounted there over the years.
Mira in particular was left shocked by the treasure trove before her "How could one grow such a treasure in such a destroyed land?"
"If everyone was a hunter or warrior who would be the miners or craftsmen?" I said as I propped myself up against a wall "If we want things to get better than we have to build a place where people can be something else" Despite years of labor I had only grown the treasure modestly and we went from 2 stores to 5 stores in town, and no artists like the old days.
Still, Mira looked impressed and hopefully she regretted wishing to leave me for dead.

Unable to shake the sense of hopelessness I crawled to a shrine. Would the gods show me mercy if the ear and fate would not?
They spoke...and they spoke a curse on me too.
I had never known such bitterness to be cursed be all things on earth and the heavens?

I rolled again. A warning. "May you be cursed for all your days gods of this cruel world!"
I rolled again in my anger and I felt such a cold feeling as if I had done something unspeakable:

None of the others could hear this curse that was laid upon me. None knew. But I did. I laughed about it. The gods sought to curse me, but they have made me more powerful and immortal! I told my companions to watch the town and I fled into the woods.

There I waited for days and days until that first full moon. I wondered what it was going to feel like. Would it hurt? Would I go crazy? I only had legends to go off of!
Until finally, one evening I just...woke up?
I was stronger now...and weaker? I suppose it wasn't the same as being cursed to be a mammoth, but I was still immortal!
I laughed and ran through the night with my leg returned to me. What could I do with all these years?
I envisioned streets with marching soldiers, artists singing, dancing and telling great stories in the streets, and every home being filled with people again! Yes, the greatest city on this world and I had all the time to build it!
The ear began to speak to me again offering me power once more "This time you shall be my partner and not my master, ear!" It only laughed in response
The reign of the moonlit fox begins now

Sign me up for another turn. I think I'm gonna use my next one to see if I can convince people to move to my town and live there. I wanna see if it's possible for homes and businesses to become reinhabited by a growing population. Plus I feel like Maloy's character progression goes more towards social development over legendary warrior. Especially since my werebeast form clearly isn't build for it lol

Also I contemplated maybe starting a new werebeast kingdom as well, but since we discovered missing limbs on werebeasts can literally blow up the game I think I'm gonna shelf that one
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:38:24 am by Maloy »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 263