Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409870 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2220 on: August 14, 2022, 04:40:46 am »

I'm actually not certain if succession works familialy, it seems sometimes it does at least given our world.
Most of the time it does. Looking through especially Omon Obin's history of Law-Givers, which has been the most stable nation until World Activation, you can see royal dynasties stretching for centuries, of 5-6 individuals from the same family.

The exceptions seem to be:
* If you get killed (i.e. King Bralbaard) and resurrected, the game treats the newly resurrected creature as a new contender in the line of succession (or not at all, as the case with King Bralbaard seems to be)
* If you become a necromancer, you can leave for your master's tower from that dreadful ruling position (this usually works with NPCs - I've seen a King/Law-Giver just up and leave to a necro's tower, losing their position, though I'm not sure it happened in Orid Xem)
* If you become an enemy of that civilization. Example: Urwa, last eligible heir of Isun, whose line ruled from 380 to Isun's death in 729.

See also Dethroned monarchs.

The question is, can he have children, considering...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 05:15:30 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: August 14, 2022, 11:12:26 am »

He can, that is merely resistance to Raki Umberclan's Weremammoth Fell One's paralysis magicks. He and the Band of Wax did battle with them in Scarletbronze. He's not actually a necromancer, he's a mortal man. But Legends Viewer seems to think if you've ever been touched by such things, you're labled as a necro.
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: August 14, 2022, 12:18:09 pm »

Not really. Legends Viewer claims three categories as necros: actual necros, blighted experiments and the occasional demon (Egu was considered one, I think). I'm not sure what it thinks of undead and the like, but it doesn't say Jas is a necro, it just says that quote, which means that's in the game files. I just extrapolated and was wondering if he was secretly a necro/undead, but that's on me for assuming, not on Legends Viewer.

Another issue with adventurers is that I think they can't have children unless actions are taken via DFHack. Yet another issue that I've noticed is that there are a lot fewer born creatures in World Activation than there are in World Generation (exceptions are creatures who procreate in Fortress Mode for obvious reasons) and that nobody has any children out of wedlock after WG, which happens all the time before WG (which might explain why the world has fallen in the Age of Twilight). People have lovers, but if they don't marry, they don't have children. Yet another issue is that if the spouses are in different locations, it's yet another bust (for obvious reasons). And I think once a spouse dies, the chances of someone remarrying is really low (if possible at all).

I wish Jas all the luck, but the odds are not looking good for him. I'm curious how many non-dwarf Kings/Queens have had children after WG, because I can't think of one who did.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: August 14, 2022, 03:44:00 pm »

I wish Jas all the luck, but the odds are not looking good for him. I'm curious how many non-dwarf Kings/Queens have had children after WG, because I can't think of one who did.

Well for what it's worth, the world history.txt file does seem to confirm Jas' claim that he has a heir:
   Jas Gloryage the Worshipful (b.852, Reign Began: 879), *** New Line, Married 2 Children -- Ages: 3 1

I'm sure some DFhackery was involved, I think there is a script that fixes the orientation tags too allow for marriage? I must admit it adds some flavour to the game. Use of this script is fine, and if I recall correctly it was used in the past as wel. Anyhow, I wish the royal family all the best.

Thanks! that saved me a lot of time!

Noticed one small error - I didn't visit Warshrieks. Sorry!

That makes sense. I just found out that the place still crashes the game upon visiting. I vaguely remember someone finding a fix for that, but I guess we haven't gotten round to implementing that? Anyone remember the details?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: August 14, 2022, 03:51:41 pm »

Yeah, adventurers are all sterile/asexual (not sure which) by default but dfhack's fixster script can solve that -- nogoodnames used that to give the adventurer they used to deal with the HoP clusters the ability to marry and have a child. Certainly allows for a whole new range of storytelling possibilities, I think.

On the subject of Warshrieks crashing iirc the method involved taking an earlier save file then copying the site image data (or something like that; was definitely a .dat file) from the non-crashing save to the crashing one. Will have a proper look back and try to find the exact posts/method when I have time.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: August 14, 2022, 04:12:36 pm »

Lol @ sigtext QD... been reading the old Museum again?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: August 14, 2022, 04:26:29 pm »

Lol @ sigtext QD... been reading the old Museum again?
Yeah, I was reading back through some of the older material and noticed that in your turn as Kosoth Griffonblaze. Found the mental image it generated rather amusing, so I figured it was sig-worthy.

In the case of Warshrieks, I found this post by Nogoodnames:

Warshrieks is loadable if you prevent it from spawning any of the inhabitants, so one or more of them is causing the crash. Problem is, there are 158 inhabitants and I don't have a good way of narrowing it down. Maybe it's the same werebeast crash, maybe not.
(Or maybe it's the nemesis vector? I have no idea how the nemesis system works but it has 160 entries vs. 158 units so maybe there are a couple bad entries. Someone more knowledgeable about dfhack and the df data structures could probably figure it out.)

Edit: I did some more testing and it turns out mid-transform werebeasts cause two nemesis records, presumably for their were and normal forms. So it seems likely that Warshrieks has two transformed werebeasts that are causing the crashes.

So wiping the site's population as a whole (or otherwise stopping them spawning) should let us brute-force Warshrieks back into the game, but i have absolutely no clue what kind of impact it might have on the save's stability. If anyone knows enough about DFHack and DF's data structures to find and delete the corrupted entries related to the Werebeasts on-site, that should also open it up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:33:33 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 14, 2022, 06:39:48 pm »

So wiping the site's population as a whole (or otherwise stopping them spawning) should let us brute-force Warshrieks back into the game, but i have absolutely no clue what kind of impact it might have on the save's stability. If anyone knows enough about DFHack and DF's data structures to find and delete the corrupted entries related to the Werebeasts on-site, that should also open it up.

Since werebeasts are always actual historical figures would it be possible to delete historical figures from the site one at a time until we hit the right one?

Idk how big the town is so if its hundreds I understand that could be a big task

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: August 14, 2022, 08:57:10 pm »

Iirc there were like 80 dwarves left by the end, small drop in population there... I'm actually not aware of any werebeasts on site? At least I don't remember having any left over. I exiled a couple though after a weresomething or other attack
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 15, 2022, 07:53:33 am »

Holyblood Log

I didn't know my journey would end where i started it. The keep of Boltspumpkin held a familiar warmth that I hadn't felt in a while. My mind clearer, my vision focused. I have decided to take up a familiar position as Docent of the museum as well as its defender. With a greater purpose I can stave of my bloodlust. Taking up the tower behind the main building as i slowly adorned it with my belongings. Of course i forgot hundreds of foul blendec skulls in LakeMenace, oh well less is more after all. These three shall suffice. My weapons are up for grabs, offering them out to would be adventurers and even a little training. The last thing an adventurer needs is their copper longsword breaking on them. Plus these weapons have such a deep rooted history that my immortal ass shouldn't horde them forever. They have stories of their own and better adventurers will hopefully use them for the greater good of Orid Xem.

I only recall fragments of the past years after awakening from a long hibernation. Tosace had rapidly deteriorated and her husking was almost finished. She had informed me of a lost secret now awoken. However during our travels she truely lost herself and became a husk. Needless to say, i put down the penguin woman. Was a shame.

I remember a strange necromancer who I gifted jewels too whilst I took a glance and this secret knowledge. It was one of the three i sought. Such knowledge, more of it coming together and then a blur. I awoke on an island, goblin limb in my maw, new wounds and bloody weapons.

The Page of Tiredness had returned, I had helped them. They were frozen for years, at least these ones. The recent warming, released them from their permafrost prisons below the Tundra of Heros, they had sought, an isolated island in the north. I crawled along the seabed and dragged their wagon across the ocean. The gave me a home, I was lost.

I was lost, my mind was clouded.. I was a parasite, feasting on the lost dwarves. I was always doing this in Falsetower. I was blinded by revenge, manipulated and twisted by this dark knowledge I was blindly helping Ala. I had been unintentionally doing his will the entire time. It hit me upon looking at that copper artifact, the sword. This dwarf had caught me feasting and immortalised it on the copper sword. No wonder that rotted dwarf hadn't moved in years, I was doing all the work for Ala.
I was sick, a plague upon these struggling dwarves and they showed me nothing but compassion and I took their fellow dwarves. I asked the smith to make me some armour and headed out not long after its completion.

The ugly forest, a place of death, the ruins of a small fort, littered with bones wrapped in plants. It was oddly beautiful, even in death there is life. Yet the island was full of foul blendecs, they would often try and pray on my whilst I composed my poems. For those that are unaware Foul Blendecs are clearly the foul creatures of Ala, skulls for heads, their hollow eyes pierce deep into your very being. Even in death, the skulls still reek with darkness, the sockets forever staring into your soul.

After contemplating in The Ugly Forest for some time, i decided to return to the Museum. But first a warning to the goblins, no more wars. Lake Menace was a mess with goblins, the pits ran red and at the end of it all. I just walked out and kept going until I was here. The place that will be my new home, I know I can hold it all back.

A true fresh start was required, I grabbed the lapis from my pocket, once a component in my hands for future spells. I wash my hands with it and for now I need time to think about what Im gonna do. I had all the time and I need to us it for something important.

I must not be tempted by lost secrets.
I must not be a monster.
I must be better.

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: August 15, 2022, 08:35:10 am »

Holyblood Log

I must not be tempted by lost secrets.
I must not be a monster.
I must be better.

Ah. yes,  about those good intentions.
Let me present you with a brief glimpse into my adventures.
This is from when I just set foot into the museum:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:39:21 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: August 15, 2022, 08:43:17 am »

Yikes, hope that feather isn't too tough to deal with. Atleast its not the sea serpent

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: August 15, 2022, 01:54:20 pm »

We might have to be careful around the museum for the time being. The feather was not the only thing raised by Avolition but he appears to be in a better mood now. Anyhow, I was very lucky that the serpent was on a higher floor, not to speak of the fortunate location of submission 31:

31: a pile of 78 demon corpses stacked on a birchen pedestal on the top floor of the museum; some dark magic must prevent the birchen pedestal from collapsing under the weight. (submitted by Quantum Drop)"

That could have been a disaster of museum-ending proportions.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 15, 2022, 01:57:12 pm »

Might need a move if this behavior continues.

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 15, 2022, 02:46:25 pm »

Might need a move if this behavior continues.

Yes that might be for the better. Have a location in mind? I could get him there.

I need to adjust my plans for my adventure. I managed to corrupt the save game with my first try, but have a relatively recent back-up.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 263