Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409490 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2250 on: August 20, 2022, 02:35:13 pm »

Dear Mr. WhiskyBreakfast.

We have completed the analysis of the work you have entrusted to us, and it has a most interesting story to tell. The work tells us much that was previously unknown about Bor Mazeconstruct, one of the more mysterious museum adventurers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first hint about it's origins can be found in the top left corner, there we find the sign of a blueberry bush, the coat of arms of the Walled Dye, the dwarven civilisation that has shaped much of recent history. This tells us of a connection between Bor and the Walled Dye.

This is confirmed in the lower part of the painting where we find a scene with two dwarves and a lot of gremlins.

We have identified these dwarves as apprentices to Midas Squarewheel, a previous adventurer of the museum, who has brought many gremlins into our realm from an unknown location. We are fairly certain that Bor was one of his apprentices too, and that together they brought another large number of gremlins into the world. The dwarves stayed behind and took care of these gremlins, and play no further role in Bor's adventures.
It is noteworthy that one of the gremlins is carrying a gremlin baby. We are quite certain that the mother gremlin in this picture is none other than baroness Riraci, from Mischieflaws.

On the left side of the painting we find a curious scene:

The necromancer depicted here is without a doubt Moldath Mournsaints.
Bor has admitted himself that he stumbled upon the secret hoard of Moldath early in his adventures. According to legend this is a collection of weapons, armor, slain creatures and unimaginable treasures that rivals the collection of the museum itself. The painting shows him stealing an adamantine axe (recognisable by it's blue glow) and a murder monster feather from this collection. Though Bor never encountered Moldath, he later feared the items carried a curse, or that Moldath himself did cast a curse upon him from the shadows.

The scene in the painting right below is a familiar one:

This is a well documented event! It happened right here in the museum at a time when Avolition Holyblood was here, working under the name "Crystalcrab the Ruler of Jewels"
This made the staff uneasy as they knew his history and they wanted to to keep him away from.. certain museum exhibits. It all went wrong the day when Bor Mazeconstruct walked in. Avolition Holyblood immediately called out at him and accused him of thievery.
There was no way a nobody like Bor could be carying an adamantine axe. To provide further proof he animated the murder monster feather in Bor’s backpack, another item that someone like Bor should not be carrying. The reanimated demon corpse immediately attacked Bor, and it was only through the lady of the museum’s quick intervention that nobody was seriously hurt.
Avolition came close to killing Bor, but let him leave alive, after Bor told Avolition about the location of Moldath’s secret hoard. Not much later Avolition left in the direction of Lawtaker.
The museum still has the mangled murder monster feather in it’s collection, and considers it an official submission, even if it was kind of involuntary.

Back to the painting. There is a small scene with two wolves, we can only assume that Bor must have encountered wolves on his travels, but then again, who has not?

We know Bor travelled extensively after his encounter in the museum, and that he became a more experienced man.
On the bottom right we find one of the key scenes in the painting, it depicts Bor Mazeconstruct, once as Bor the saint, and once as Bor the corrupted:

We know that after leaving the museum Bor became obsessed by fighting the undead and necromancers in particular, and he was often referred to as a holy figure. His methods though were unorthodox. To fight necromancy he wanted to study it, but he did not want to corrupt himself. His methods involved dragging dead animals to cursed ground, and camping out near the dead creature, sometimes for days, waiting for it to reanimate, something that happens naturally in some areas. While staying in these areas Bor had to fight many undead creatures.
At some time during one of these journeys Bor was assaulted by a terrible vision; In his writings he even claims it was not a vision, but that he really lived through it. He claims that he experienced a future where his efforts to conduct and test necromancy without corrupting himself, would corrupt and destroy the world instead. On the painting this is depicted by the torn map of Orid Xem. The experience apparently drove Bor to madness, and he embraced necromancy. He now claims he took the burden of corruption on himself, to save the world.

The main focus of the painting is this scene:

It shows the main work of Bor Mazeconstruct, the turning of the age. An hourglass, toppled by a Roc. Many have claimed that the Rocs of the age of Myth have returned but a close look at this painting shows this is not the full truth:

A close view shows an aura of death around the roc's head, but more importantly, her whole body, including the beak, appears to be made from feathers! The Rocs that were raised by Bor were butchered by Moldath centuries ago, and Bor only managed to find the feathers, which, when raised, somewhat convincingly form the body of a Roc. but they are only a shadow of what once existed.
The painting also clearly shows that Bor raised two rocs. The one in the foreground is Calovi Morningwhisker the windy beans, recognisable by her association with the wind, the sky, and hunting. We think it was raised when Bor was still known as Bor the Saint, the cursed land from which the bird took to the sky is visible:

Some people claim that it's method of creation was it's undoing, and that Calovi no longer exists, or worse, that she will cause the destruction of the world. Time will tell.

What we do know is that the other Roc in the background was raised from death by Bor the corrupted. It is Lefari Birdbean the Rapid.

Then we are left with two other interesting scenes, the first is on the top of the painting:

It shows the fortress of Razorbridge. Dominating over the view is the detached hand of Bralbaard Hammerfishes, the former king of the Walled Dye. The eye is a symbol for the fact that the old king has seen everything there is to be seen, both in life and death. He has crossed it's boundaries so many times, some have lost count.
That the hand is the old king is confirmed on the bottom of the painting where the hand is shown as a companion to Bor, this time with a crown referencing his old position:

In this second scene the hand is seen as a companion to Bor the Saint, and this is the subject of much debate, and to be honest some pretty outlandish stories. 
The legend told by poets and storytellers is that he was raised twice: The first time resulting in the complete destruction of Orid Xem. The second time, legend says, Bor took the corruption on himself, to protect the world.

This concludes what we have learned about this particular painting. But please do not lose sleep over some of these fantastic stories. Certainly the whole story about the destruction of the world must be the product of too much imagination...

Best regards,

The museum curator

----------------------------------------------------------
OOC: so after raising Bralbaard from death the first time I switched control with the bodyswap command from Dfhack, so that I could play him later. This however resulted in a terrible monstrosity, when loaded he would not be an undead, but just a detached hand that would die of suffocation after twenty turns, and there were weird glitches with all kinds of stuff. I managed to mess up trying to fix it and the save game was corrupted beyond repair.
Apparently undead created from natural reanimation are not saved properly, or in a very different way from other undead. It was interesting, to say the least...

Also, as a result of interrogations, AvolitionBrit has a PM with some further information...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:05:12 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: August 20, 2022, 03:30:57 pm »

Interesting events, more gremlins wonder if they will start to outnumber the dwarfs. Certainly time will tell how far they will go. Certainly the museum ones took important roles and liven up the place that reeks of death and decay. Birds of a feather have flocked together to bring back a roc, interesting how it doesn't go to the age of x power.

Certainly adds some future challenges for future adventurers, doubt we will see the hollow hunters or even Zoku felled soom. Zoku is a very tough ettin to face. Just look at what happened to Bralbaard. Wonder how tough feathers will be.

Also best of luck  Cook100500 on your turn.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: August 20, 2022, 03:56:38 pm »

Great story (prelude). I'm going to use the images for the wiki. I'm going to attribute each to you, of course.

Speaking of, I've updated the Bralbaard Nilthatlosh article with his latest death and killer. I'm planning to add a pets section (I'll have to re-read the thread to know if he had more than the horse and the cat) and apparently a body part section will also be necessary. I've added some small information about Maloy and the ear, but it seems a King's bodyparts are in high demand in Orid Xem (and in high motion as well, especially with the necromancers running around who treat Bralbaard either as their boss or God).

That being said, there's even more reason to elevate King Bralbaard to Godhood. I've already noted on The Great Black Tome section (my interpretation of how Legends Mode can be viewed in-game) that King Bralbaard hid the history of the world for his own purposes. Add to that he's a world-hopping explorer, and now that in-game adventurers go out of their way to bring him back to life (and his body parts), this has the making of a religion/cult.

Before I forget to type, and not in the least, great art Bralbaard!

I test-reclaimed Sethurdim Mestthos Oram and it declares Bralbaard as deceased. After these three deaths, haven't they learned to just list him as still part of Orid Xem, whatever the reports they receive? They even have a slab with his name on it. It seems it didn't put him to rest as much as they tried.

Looks like the world is two years from arriving in the year 900 and 3 years to enter the 10th century. That means it's the in-world bicentennial anniversary of the founding of the Museum.

Was it noted that Galka Linarad became a Baron of Adilatir in 885?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 10:12:11 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: August 21, 2022, 04:44:02 pm »

The necromancer depicted here is without a doubt Moldath Mournsaints.
Bor has admitted himself that he stumbled upon the secret hoard of Moldath early in his adventures. According to legend this is a collection of weapons, armor, slain creatures and unimaginable treasures that rivals the collection of the museum itself. The painting shows him stealing an adamantine axe (recognisable by it's blue glow) and a murder monster feather from this collection. Though Bor never encountered Moldath, he later feared the items carried a curse, or that Moldath himself did cast a curse upon him from the shadows.

Ohhhh. Stealing from the Blind Sadist? That's mighty brave of you. Looks like you discovered my treasure stash in Spicetrails. I think I will need to unretire Moldath next turn and find some way of giving up his job as broker/manager of Clearmasters, so he can give Bor a paddling for stealing his axe.

To provide further proof he animated the murder monster feather in Bor’s backpack, another item that someone like Bor should not be carrying. The reanimated demon corpse immediately attacked Bor, and it was only through the lady of the museum’s quick intervention that nobody was seriously hurt.

The Murder Monster is actually much more rare than a simple demon. It is one of only two Archangels in Orid Xem. This particular feather came from the leader of the vault of Coverashes, and as far as I can tell was slain by Iden Bloodinked the Mire of Cities. It was later butchered and the feather looted when Moldath gathered every scrap of blistered metal from that vault to melt down in Ashcinders.

Avolition came close to killing Bor, but let him leave alive, after Bor told Avolition about the location of Moldath’s secret hoard. Not much later Avolition left in the direction of Lawtaker.

That dastardly scorpion already knows about my hideout - he's stolen stuff from me before!

The Rocs that were raised by Bor were butchered by Moldath centuries ago, and Bor only managed to find the feathers, which, when raised, somewhat convincingly form the body of a Roc. but they are only a shadow of what once existed.
The painting also clearly shows that Bor raised two rocs. The one in the foreground is Calovi Morningwhisker the windy beans, recognisable by her association with the wind, the sky, and hunting.

So if I understand correctly, by ressurecting the rocs, even just in feather form, the world reverted to the Second Age of Myth, which is probably a very uncommon thing to have happen. It requires there to be no megabeasts alive, and then one to re-appear.

Was it noted that Galka Linarad became a Baron of Adilatir in 885?

Yes... Galka has quite a checkered political allegiance it seems. He is both a Baron of the Walled Dye, and simultaneously the Royal Chamberlain of the Realm of Silver.

Fun fact - Galka was also the first player character that Moldath encountered when he manifested into Orid Xem not too far from the Tower of Silence.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: August 21, 2022, 08:54:13 pm »

Adventurers making secret hideouts, and raiding each other? What a game!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: August 23, 2022, 04:11:52 am »

Any sign of Cook100500? As far as I can see he hasn’t been active in forums since June.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: August 23, 2022, 09:14:04 am »

As an aside, I would like to be placed back on the list. Forgot to mention earlier. I'll post my last entry to my recent adventure soonish.
I've lost control of my life.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: August 23, 2022, 04:33:45 pm »

Any sign of Cook100500? As far as I can see he hasn’t been active in forums since June.

No haven't had any reply. We'll move on. I'll update the turn list, it is Yarlig's turn.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: August 25, 2022, 06:45:05 am »

Downloaded the save' will try to begin shortly. Some gorgeous artwork and fascinating stories! not sure if I'll be able to match them but I'll try' hah.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: August 27, 2022, 01:23:50 pm »

Looking forward to your turn, Yarlig. I'm not sure I ever thanked you for avenging Lurker Onecbehal or if it was knowingly or not on the part of Hannibal, but the obligatory thanks regardless.

I take it from my forays into Legends Viewer that Thillecit has been rendered visitable? Granted, in my character's death, I was able to fight with relatively good speed despite being outnumber 20:1. I assume there are dozens to hundreds of corpses strewn about, but that probably means more loot (and bodies for the interested necromancer).

Ohhhh. Stealing from the Blind Sadist? That's mighty brave of you.
So interesting thing about that. I was re-reading the thread, crossreferencing with Legends Viewer and noticed this.
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Does the Blind Sadist has any memories of this?

The Murder Monster is actually much more rare than a simple demon. It is one of only two Archangels in Orid Xem. This particular feather came from the leader of the vault of Coverashes, and as far as I can tell was slain by Iden Bloodinked the Mire of Cities. It was later butchered and the feather looted when Moldath gathered every scrap of blistered metal from that vault to melt down in Ashcinders.
Interestingly, I can't find this creature's name through The Masonry Method. Might it be because I have an older save or does it really have no name in the common tongue? From what I know, when a body part is resurrected and receives a name, that name is also in the "original tongue" (though it's arguable what that is, considering it's practically a spawned undead; maybe the tongue of the adventurer, the resurrector or in the case of Fortress Mode, the dwarven dialect spoken by that civilization?). On a tangent, but I notice most books don't have a name in their own civilization tongue like artifacts have. Or that a minimal reader can read books from any languages. Gameplay and Story Segregation, I guess.

or maybe Lurker Lockkingdom has finally succeeded in contacting a mortal agent to resurrect him
Nice namedrop there. I noticed it as soon as it was posted. Since it's up for discussion, if by the next turn I won't find Lurker on the turn list, I'll give him up for good and start a reincarnated Lurker character. His corpse is lost for decades, maybe a century by this point and nobody's coming forward if they butchered it or threw it into lava or just hid it, so there's not much to do I suppose. If things work IRL as I assume, I'll time my return to be around November, so I'm not yet asking to be added to the turn list, but soon... soon...

Speaking of Lurker, I've noticed that his submission Ligircaspa Osmahegesh has teleported back to the capital Ulosothro. Should we take this as a sign, or does the Museum want the anhydrite amulet as a keepsake from Lurker? I was kinda torn on taking it to the Museum in the first place, since it seemed like a national treasure for Omon Obin. Maybe its place is back in the capital rather than in the Museum? Maybe bring something back that represents Lurker instead of the amulet? Some input please?

I've updated all the adventurer pages on the wiki until (and including) Bralbaard's second run, up to his death. I've added image where I could find them (there might be more in the thread, it'll take a while to get up to speed with the present stories). I'd like some feedback on the King Bralbaard (he'll always be a King to the adventurers of the Museum) article, I've added some large quotes and I'm worried if they're clunky or not. Mestthos' story too has been wikified to the best of my understanding.

I'd also like some feedback on the Orid Xem page itself, especially the Supersources section. I feel it's overly clunky, but I'm not sure if I should split it into its own article, which would make it a lot less visible.

I've also updated the Silver Plague page, now it contains the three theories for its origins as well as the ones who put forward and discussed those theories.

One more question, what do we call army leaders during in-game recognized battles? For example, Bralbaard was the army leader where he was slayed by the goblin in 858, i.e.

In 858, early spring, (9th of Granite)  The Knowing Deceiver attacked The Everlasting Pillars of  The Walled Dye at Falsetower the Citadel of Worlds. Leader of the attack was the goblin Stozu Roomvile, and the defenders were led by Bralbaard during The Angry Onslaught of Monsters as part of The Roasted War.

(Jokes aside) What titles do Stozu Roomvile and Bralbaard have for leading their sides in the battle?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:30:40 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: August 27, 2022, 02:05:04 pm »

Does the Blind Sadist has any memories of this?

So... in my third turn, in 859, I cleared out a bunch of ghouls from Strifefularmor who had been infected in Kosoth's mayhem of 797, including a nasty troll called Xubngesp Craterdimple the Glad End. The perfect wood opal, Heavenheathers the Fair Peace was in the keep. It must have teleported back from Boltspumpkin. I must have taken it and put it with my treasures in Spicetrails. But lo and behold, it has teleported back again as of 890, long after Moldath "retired" to Eskon.

If you visit Strifefularmor in the current turn, there are about 50 priests jammed into the keep and the gem is lying on the floor...

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: August 31, 2022, 08:02:53 am »

Well, I’ll admit that I’ve  always been somewhat better at Adventure mode than I am at Fortress mode, so this looks quite appealing to me.

May I kindly ask to be added to the turn list?

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: August 31, 2022, 08:57:48 am »

Looking forward to your turn, Yarlig. I'm not sure I ever thanked you for avenging Lurker Onecbehal or if it was knowingly or not on the part of Hannibal, but the obligatory thanks regardless.

NP; it was intentional' yes' although now that I think of it' not fully in keeping with what I intended Hannibal's personality to be. I actually only went there to pick L. Oniecbehal's corpse' but this Themsol was flashing bright pink - I assume the game considered him notable enough for killing an adventurer to distinguish him somehow? I 'l'ooked at his weapon and sure enough he had killed Lurker' so I beelined straight towards him.

One more question, what do we call army leaders during in-game recognized battles? For example, Bralbaard was the army leader where he was slayed by the goblin in 858, i.e.

In 858, early spring, (9th of Granite)  The Knowing Deceiver attacked The Everlasting Pillars of  The Walled Dye at Falsetower the Citadel of Worlds. Leader of the attack was the goblin Stozu Roomvile, and the defenders were led by Bralbaard during The Angry Onslaught of Monsters as part of The Roasted War.

(Jokes aside) What titles do Stozu Roomvile and Bralbaard have for leading their sides in the battle?

Commander' I suppose? Don't think the game itself has any particular title for those; in worldgen' it's generals' princesses and lords that lead the armies mostly' but in actual gameplay I think there is no hard rule.

As for my turn so far' well.. not much has happened' actually' besides a few hundred gobblins dying. Playing as a mooseman dual-wielding greatswords is pretty metal but storytelling sleeps when you focus on bisecting trolls.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: August 31, 2022, 09:24:07 am »

Nice to hear your turn is going well Yarlig. Always good to see more animal men kicking goblin butt.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: August 31, 2022, 09:39:28 am »

I for one welcome more one man army's engaging goblin hordes.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 263