Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409661 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2265 on: August 31, 2022, 12:09:29 pm »

Well, I’ll admit that I’ve  always been somewhat better at Adventure mode than I am at Fortress mode, so this looks quite appealing to me.

May I kindly ask to be added to the turn list?

I've updated the list, welcome!

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 31, 2022, 01:51:28 pm »

Great! Can’t wait to die horribly and call it a story

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: September 01, 2022, 06:35:56 pm »

That's part of the fun. You get to make a great story about how you died!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: September 02, 2022, 11:13:08 am »

It’s a fair while before I have my turn but I thought I’d ask preemptively, what are the rules on adding party members during character creation? Because I have an idea or two that may involve having some

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: September 02, 2022, 11:19:09 am »

It’s a fair while before I have my turn but I thought I’d ask preemptively, what are the rules on adding party members during character creation? Because I have an idea or two that may involve having some

Rules and advice:

-Adventurers have to start as heroes or peasants (no demigods).
-Feel free to pick any adventurer race EXCEPT for Charcoal brutes/demons, they are playable for some civs, but way too overpowered.
-Rules on adventuring parties: When you start as a peasant you can have up to two other peasants in your starting party. When starting as a hero you are on your own (but can recruit people in game)
-Death is the end. no savescumming unless you need to avoid crashes/bugs. losing is fun, and some of the best stories from the last game were short tragedies.
-You have one week, or untill your character dies, (but you can spend the rest of your week building an adventure site/fortress, see below)
-you can only submit -one- official item, but obviously you can gather other stuff that won't be catalogued.
-retire your adventurer when you are finished.
-Do not kill retired adventurers on purpose. Sometimes accidents can't be avoided, but people may wish to use those adventurers if they play a second turn.
-artifacts are currently bugged an may teleport back to their site of origin after being stored in the museum.
-Use of advfort crafting using dFhack is allowed to spice things up a bit, and to allow more flexibility when building adventure mode sites. Do not use other Dfhack scripts that make stuff easier without asking, also try to keep use of Dfhack limited in fort mode (using dfhack to cirumvent bugs/crashes is of course fine).
-The museum in Boltspumpkin is near the center of the map, the third post in this topic has maps and other information on locations. 

-have fun!

When building a fortress:
do not post a log of the construction for your fortress, this thread is about adventure mode, not fortress mode.
I will try to add finished fortresses and adventure sites to the world map, so adventurers know where to go.
If you build your fortress close to the museum, there may be a better chance that it gets visitors, on the other hand, adventurers have traveled all the way over the entire map in the first museum games so it is not a requirement.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:21:23 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: September 02, 2022, 11:25:22 am »

Damn, read the rules but that was one I managed to completely overlook.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: September 02, 2022, 12:59:55 pm »

Save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16056

Apologies for the slight delays' I managed relatively little playing time at first and was scurrying to get everything done. Not much worth writing stories about' so I hope to post a writeup in a few days' time; so far' a quick summary:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That would be it for now' please sign me up for another turn again; also' I've been having some ideas.. Do you guys think it'd be okay to add [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] to wagons? Not sure how it would work' exactly' but a wagon adventurer could make for an interesting experiment.

Also' good luck' Kesperan!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: September 02, 2022, 01:33:47 pm »

Would that even work? It's fine with me if it does, I wonder if they will deconstruct as easily as in fortress mode...

Also, does any one else remember the talking wagon we had in the second museum game?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: September 02, 2022, 01:46:27 pm »

If I remember correctly, you’d just scuttle the instant you tried to move. Second person phrasing and all. I forget what thread I saw that in, but there were screenshots to prove it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 01:49:35 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: September 02, 2022, 01:57:37 pm »

Yeah' thinking back of the talking wagon was what directly inspired me; he was probably the most memorable NPC in the second museum. Other than that' I'm sure it has been done in the past' although not in the recent past to my knowledge.

Here are some threads on wagonery in case anyone is interested:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51245.msg6706172#msg6706172
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18980.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128593.0
(Haven't read everything' so do not quote me on how pertinent to the issue at hand they are)

Will probably do a test run with a wagon at some point and find out what you can and can't do.

EDIT: So I turned DF on real quick and here's what I gathered about wagon adventurers:

• You do not' in fact get scuttled the instant you move; the conditions for killing a wagon need to be researched
  • Wagons can't hold or equip items' talk or learn any skills; the latter means that composing poetry or writing books is impossible.
  • Wagons can' however knap rocks and carve bones (and maybe do carpentry? gotta have to check that later); in fact' items produced that way have quality modifiers despite the wagons' ostensible lack of skill.
  • Wagons can't attack or be attacked; they can' however' dodge away from NPCs.
  • Wagons appear as being of 3x3 size' but the lighter-coloured outside parts can pass through trees and walls. It's the dark inner core that functions as a hitbox of sorts.
  • Wagons can't' obviously' open doors' but passing through a door already open works fine. They can also swim in water.
  • The best part: you can pet wagons.

All in all' wagons would make pretty poor adventurers' I think' what with their inability to fight' communicate' and gather items. However' having a wagon with a human lackey to provide those services would make for interesting storytelling' I think. Might check if there is more to them' like carpentry' building sites' or holding nobility positions if all other members of their group are dead.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 02:48:09 pm by Yarlig »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: September 02, 2022, 04:04:21 pm »

• Raised Hannibal Valleyball and unretired him briefly to equip him and drop him off in a new camp; did not go on any illegal adventuring with him' only killed a couple keas and similar stuff along the way;

You ressurected Hannibal after a century frozen in a lake? That's pretty cool.

Downloading save just now.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: September 02, 2022, 05:51:59 pm »

Quite the impressive turn, Yarlig; pretty cool that you managed to find the Ghoulfather after his unfortunate accident and finally resurrect him. Also pretty nice to hear that someone's exploring the fortresses in between the goblin genocides -- certainly looking forward to your writeup. Museum Adventurer Table has been updated with the latest PCs.

Good luck with your turn, Kesperan!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:09:23 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: September 06, 2022, 03:58:48 pm »

Forgotten - Tales of would be adventurers by Rura Parchedswamp, Unwilling apprentice to the historian guild.

So it has been a while, honestly wasted a lot of time on a historical dead end detailed below but then i found a story that could keep these historians of my back and maybe give me some more "research funding". That would show them. Ofcourse this was just a joke, i wouldnt do that.

Assignment notes - Historical Footnotes

The dwarf Urdim Brassletters, was around roughly the same time of Egesh my previous work. Ah perfect this will be interesting. He was from the fort know as Lancesavage that was active in the early 6th century but mostly lays abandoned today. Egesh left the fort and likely died somewhere in the forest of pears, the locals believes a female grizzly bear they had taken to call cherishedfame was responsible. However this is speculation as no one has found Urdims remains. Maybe one day we will know what happened to this dwarf

Volume 2 - Cloaked in Mystery

Around the same time as Egesh and Urdim, there was Nocam Crabhawks the Tender Trenches. This male cougar man wanted to become a legendary warrior. He was from Containedpaddles a hamlet in the middle of the world. The first time he is referenced is as the slayer of Epeve Pagesmiles the Awe-inspiring, the ettin. He proved the kill with the artifact slab Gallpaddles the Spittle of Juice. Said to have beem created by a god of death, this slab was stolen from its original owner and was often seen in the hands of Epeve. The slab is rumored to have great power to whom who read it like the other dark slabs of the world. But he had never read it, instead handing it off to a Onec Weatherdress, whilst its not understood why he would do this, upon digging into Onecs family tree reveals her grandmother was a necromancer and carried around a different dark slab, that by the name of Stabbedwring. It could be a coincidence or there could be more. However it is not know the purpose of this exchange.

He is next referenced in a account from Whippedoils, noted as a strange traveller wielding weapons of a undertermined metal, described as bright metal. When looking into the meaning of bright metal, it could be in reference to Ringedwires, described as a bright metal prong. Know to many as a phantom weapon, often being seen in a place before disappearing and appearing elsewhere. It was first reported in Shotgleeful, the weapon has since been spotted in Stealmountain, Coverashes, Ashcinders and Falsetower. Althought these latter reports have started in the 7th Century.

It is also noted in this account he is the slayer of Thase Sheencastles the Call of Brilliance, another ettin. It is unclear if the ettin were his intended targets or just the ones he encounted its hard to say. But to have killed 1/5 of all Ettin in existance is no small feat. It was likely he sought out these kinds of challenges and he might be responsible for more kills than this.

The final report is the most interesting, the final sighting of  Nocam was of his battle with Thol Smoulderedfungi the Languishing. A strange battle for sure, fragments of accounts report the beast used a pig tail cloak as a weapon. The huge one-eued theropod with slate gray feathers, noted to have webs. It is likely Nocam was entangled and beaten to death with this pig tail cloak, likely got hit multiple times by this cloak. Yep this is true he died to a cloak. Infact memorial slabs detail several dwarves were beaten with this very same cloak. Certainly an interesting item. An early end to a legendary warrior who is surprising goes uncredited for his amazing achievements.

This was the end of the tale until another museum adventurer is mentioned whos account fills in some of the gaps, the blind sadist Moldath Mournsaints. He details the slaying of this great beast, paralysing it with a "flick of his wrist" . He beheaded Thol and carved a masterwork ring of its remains. He later remarks "one item catches my eye" refering to the bring metal prong Ringedwires, confirming was likely wielded by Nocam.

Authors notes:
It is hard to research these tales, the passage of time hasn't been kind to them. People die, accounts are lost, places abandoned and destroyed. Thankfully i am slowly making my way to the 7th century. The next person of interest is an Artha Peacefulsong a necromancer who had survived her adventure but never recorded her adventure. Was looking forward to talking to her and actually getting a first hand account for a change. Sadly she was murded some years back, hopefully with some luck we can figure out her tale. In Volume 3 - The eternal lady. The title could use some work as can my writing.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 04:02:53 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: September 07, 2022, 03:54:40 am »

Good detective work!

Pretty sure the bright metal prong was gifted by a deity at a shrine, and was dropped by Nocam when he was killed. Luckily he was avenged by your friendly neighbourhood sadist.

Might try and raise Artha Peacefulsong during my turn as it was my fault she got killed…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: September 07, 2022, 06:46:31 am »

Good detective work!

Pretty sure the bright metal prong was gifted by a deity at a shrine, and was dropped by Nocam when he was killed. Luckily he was avenged by your friendly neighbourhood sadist.

Might try and raise Artha Peacefulsong during my turn as it was my fault she got killed…

Yeah, Probably was but no documentation so Rura wouldn't know. Moldath certainly gets around, will go on rabbit holes and find he is involved somewhere ahaha.

Yeah, tbf alot of adventurers exist, you are not gonna know them all especially one that hasn't got a story. But yeah might need a cheeky rez

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 263