Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 260

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 391983 times)

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2325 on: September 22, 2022, 03:04:07 pm »

aight free alot more again and stuff, mind i get a turn on this succession world again?, feeling in a DF mood lately again
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 23, 2022, 01:14:48 am »

Welcome back! It might take three or four months until it gets to you, judging by the length of the turn list.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 23, 2022, 01:36:58 am »

Welcome back! It might take three or four months until it gets to you, judging by the length of the turn list.
ehh it's fine working on some small Dwarf Fortress mods anyways for Dwarf Fortress and stuff, tho will say i'll keep very much active to make sure i will not miss my turn and such

Civs+ Mod

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 23, 2022, 05:10:12 pm »

got it. I had been using the viewer through LNP, but I have to assume it wasn't up to date because when I downloaded it separate just now it had no trouble other than the fact that Avolition and Moldath borderline crash it when I open up their pages lol

Side note: It's nice to see that regardless of how the encounters went Maloy considers the other adventurers he has run into over the years as friends.

I'm glad I don't really identify with his personality or character too much, because I feel like I'm playing Morrowind with how much npcs just don't like me. Just universally disliked the moment I start talking and I was cursed a werebeast form that makes me weaker and aggros everyone around me lol
Maloy's quest in life is to become someone who is not pathetically weak or at least liked by others for sure

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 24, 2022, 05:52:51 am »

That's interesting. I found too that I don't identify even with my named character, Lurker Onecbehal. While he hates goblins and I hate goblins, he's loyal to Omon Obin first. He's loyal to Seņamatem secondly. He wants a royal line from the old blood (which admittedly I want too) to rule Omon Obin. He's bitter about becoming Lord of a different town, while I liked that the AI chose him for that.

Hell my other characters are played in-character and for fun and share fewer of my ideals. I like to make them loyal to a cause if it's possible though (the only exception was that dwarf who was ordered to loot a fortress' surroundings, he was my most mercenary character in this game).

Just universally disliked the moment I start talking and I was cursed a werebeast form that makes me weaker and aggros everyone around me lol
It might be more that your character is an animal man? Just a wild guess. I don't think werebeasts are directly hated - but I never played as one. Maybe because you turn where they can see you?

The few people in a Dwarf Fortress game who are going to like you are the pets and companions you created at the start of the game. Dwarf Fortress creatures are really schizo. That goblin who killed Imic (wonder if he's still alive) is still horrified of seeing Imic's corpse over a century later. The same with the demon Pis and Bralbaard's corpse. Someone was turned into a werecreature and considered their assailant a friend and a good trading partner. I suspect the only way to legitimately be liked by someone is to be a heartperson and succeed in that place's quests multiple time.

I've been partially updating the Top creatures page. Bralbaard has shot into first place, though I'm not sure how that happened. Oddom stayed in second, Moldath also shot in fourth (understandably - if we'd have pages on the most important creatures Moldath slayed, he'd shoot in first or second definitely), the rocs are probably there to stay (they're worshiped throughout history, so whenever an article of a creature from before the 8th century will be made, there's a chance they'll be mentioned), Lonelythrall is back into the fray (Lonelythrall  was out of the top for a while, but then Avolition made those articles about his kills). Speaking of, Avolition is in the running and unlikely to ever be bumped out. Zemel and Cog are still hanging on, which is a surprise since they're my initial projects from way back when I started researching Orid Xem's 1st century. Surprisingly, Lurker Onecbehal is there, which I thought won't happen since there's not much to link to him and I hadn't made an effort to do so. The important creatures that could have been there but aren't (and will probably return) are Bewa and Islas. Bewa was one link under Lurker and she has the potential to stay up because she has a lot of relatives all the way to the 8th century (or even the 9th?) Islas is the first roc and a millennial, so again, lots of potential for a return.

As for deities, it is as I suspected: the dwarven gods definitely dominate (I suspected this because we'd concentrate on dwarves). That being said, Ala is second there, once again unsurprisingly (it's a surprise he's not first). The rest are, once again unsurprisingly, Omon Obin deities since I'd concentrated at the beginning on writing about them. What is surprising is a distinct lack of Cacame, who is about 5 links under the top 10. That means I have way too few articles on elves despite my best efforts.

Updated kills, Jamas and Jas broke through.

I think some of our adventurers accidentally jumped into the wrong Orid Xem...
Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

Jokes aside, that's some really weird behavior from NPCs during world generation. It does confirm they don't need to be enslaved to become sapient, simply becoming refugees after a settlement was conquered was enough. It is REALLY interesting that Satheth was a Law-Giver of Omon Obin, became a mummy, was disturbed, started amassing an undead army, then went back to Omon Obin as a humble, normal (immortal) citizen. Ah, if he survived, he wouldn't have risen back to Law-Giver because he'd have been discovered as undead and forced to flee. It'd have taken some special circumstances of world gen ending, world activating and then someone playing enough time for him to rise as the undying ruler of Omon Obin.

I've tried to restore Mudungudon and I've had the same issue as with Orid Xem despite the fact that it's in a version before 0.40: everything that should be is there, yet history diverges somewhere even before the 1st century. I'll try to narrow things down more when I have more time for it specifically.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 01:58:01 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 24, 2022, 10:39:54 am »

I don't identify with my charcters too much, they are ecelectic pieces forged together in chaos. Think my next one won't be crazy, i hope.

I find that if you tell jokes, giving gifts or issuing complements helps. Also assuming a new identity seems to help give you a clean slate as long as they dont recognise you. Also find that i need to assume identitys to settle into forts.

Certainly interesting to see what are on top currently and what will change come  the new century.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:32:37 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 27, 2022, 11:19:55 am »

It's come to my attention that I had not finished Jas' recent story. I'll rectify that soon. Hope everyone's doing well, haven't poked my head in for a wee bit.
I've lost control of my life.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 29, 2022, 06:15:28 am »

Here is the save! https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16095

To-Do List of Lord Maloy Craftsroars
-Travel to Elven lands and find adventurers and artists to restore Incenseorder - Great Success. Although three died in a river wrestling a Carp that could stand up
-Retrieve the Hand Was already gone. Ear was pretty upset!
-Commission a new bridge Didn't happen
-Achieve renown and likeability. -Mirai became a baronness which technically makes her my superior, but a lot of people did join my banner!
-Don't turn into a werefox in front of your friends. -Great Success! YAY!

To-Do List of Arthur
-Convince Mirai to help our wolf friend again(he's getting old) -Added bonus that I get to see her again
-Spread tales of the new "City of adventures and wonders Incenseorders" for Maloy -Massive sucess. Most of the human and dwarf villages had it's people actually living amongst dead bodies. Even some bandits from a local fort left to join.
-Find a certain adamantine bracelet Went to it's last known location of Sprayoils. Was nearly killed by a blight victim and only won through sheer numbers. Artifact wasn't there, but found a treasure trove of coins. Helping friends has it's rewards!

To-Do List of H̷̢̛̖̟̺̝͎̝͈̜͒͑̍̇̄̋̑̏͐͊̄̂̀̃̀͌̅̾̈̅̎̌̓̎͐͛͐̐̄̎͌̅́̚̕̕͝ȩ̶̡̭̻̱̻͍͈̻͎̼̼͛̀̊͆̔̊̄̉̒̇̐͋͝͝ͅ ̸̢̨̛͙̪̳̥͇̹̩̙̜̲̮̣̜̩̰̙͚͚͍͇̑̂͒̊͆͊̇̀̄̿͋̈́̑͂̂͘̚̕͝w̴̡͔̝͍̔̐ͅh̸̨̨̤̗̹͙̹̻̖̅̈́̔̒̀̐̃̅͐ò̸̡̧̢̪͚͍̙̪̻͙͕̫̹͖͉͔̰̹̎̓̋̏͋̅̓͛͛̓̅̊̆̄̚ ̴͚͔̖̖͇̞̣̬̬̫͚͈̠̯̣̮͎̯̤̦̤͚̯͚͕̞͇̦̌̽̍͆̚͜w̷͓̺̳̫̘̞̪͖̞͕͓̫̘͙̼̘̼͎͈̻͍̃̓̑̾̆͑͌̊͒̈̈́̆̎̇̊̑̑̓͒͌̌̓́̽̊̇͌͋̀́́̐̔͑͘̚͝͝͝ą̸͕̯͚̹̙͚̥̮̐̾̅͋̌̃͊̕͝͠í̶̧̡̢̗͍͉̤̖̥̺̭̘̝͚̻̬̹̰̥̭̘̠̝̗͔̺̮͔̲͎̈́̃̐̒͂̀͘̚͝ţ̷̡̥̬̼͈̪͉̀̈̅͝ͅs̸̢̧̱̟̳̠̤͖̖͔͍̼͈̥̯͔̠̭̓̌̄͐͂́̂̌̉̚ͅ:

-Claim Bral's limbs foiled by the dead king himself
-Build an army for new empire. -It shall be without end

There will be an actual entry later on!
Had a ton of fun! wanted to experiment with social and settlement stuff. Most of incenseorder's buildings are abandoned, but I swear that a few more have been occupied since I did my first turn. Here's some fun strange things I noted:

-Once guided there if I canceled our agreement to travel and entertain the followers would eventually just go home, but if told to wait they stick around(that's not new info)
-Those told to wait picked up local trades. Most were originally just regular worker jobs, but after retiring and unretiring I saw quite a few were warriors now
-Dwarves are the easiest to recruit as entertainers as dwarven civs universally love art and that is the value considered by the npc when asked
-Turns out the best way to passively train social skills is to have the character you wanna train in your party, but don't directly control them. Let them passively do social stuff with your other party members. Arthur's skills were so much better than Maloy's from doing that last turn that I actually left Maloy at Incensorder halfway through my turn.
-The Blight victim. He was the leader of a local cult as well, and the thresher who killed him in my group immediately took his job upon killing him and even kept it after we left and moved back to Incenseorder.

Even if I can't actually have Incenseorder truly reoccupied it is cool turning it into a sort of adventurer-art town. I recruited probably close to 40 people.
I also visited Razorbridges and recruited a lot of dwarves there

Throw me down for another turn. Always happens that the same week my turn comes a lot of unexpected stuff happens, but I still got the meat of what I wanted done and I'm very happy for that!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 30, 2022, 01:45:48 pm »

Im downloading the save now

What the heck is the string of of characters in the description?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 30, 2022, 02:08:49 pm »

Copy and pasting it into Google comes out as searching for "come and serve", albeit rather messed up, as with "He who waits" in Maloy's last post
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:49:34 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 30, 2022, 02:10:11 pm »

To-Do List of H̷̢̛̖̟̺̝͎̝͈̜͒͑̍̇̄̋̑̏͐͊̄̂̀̃̀͌̅̾̈̅̎̌̓̎͐͛͐̐̄̎͌̅́̚̕̕͝ȩ̶̡̭̻̱̻͍͈̻͎̼̼͛̀̊͆̔̊̄̉̒̇̐͋͝͝ͅ ̸̢̨̛͙̪̳̥͇̹̩̙̜̲̮̣̜̩̰̙͚͚͍͇̑̂͒̊͆͊̇̀̄̿͋̈́̑͂̂͘̚̕͝w̴̡͔̝͍̔̐ͅh̸̨̨̤̗̹͙̹̻̖̅̈́̔̒̀̐̃̅͐ò̸̡̧̢̪͚͍̙̪̻͙͕̫̹͖͉͔̰̹̎̓̋̏͋̅̓͛͛̓̅̊̆̄̚ ̴͚͔̖̖͇̞̣̬̬̫͚͈̠̯̣̮͎̯̤̦̤͚̯͚͕̞͇̦̌̽̍͆̚͜w̷͓̺̳̫̘̞̪͖̞͕͓̫̘͙̼̘̼͎͈̻͍̃̓̑̾̆͑͌̊͒̈̈́̆̎̇̊̑̑̓͒͌̌̓́̽̊̇͌͋̀́́̐̔͑͘̚͝͝͝ą̸͕̯͚̹̙͚̥̮̐̾̅͋̌̃͊̕͝͠í̶̧̡̢̗͍͉̤̖̥̺̭̘̝͚̻̬̹̰̥̭̘̠̝̗͔̺̮͔̲͎̈́̃̐̒͂̀͘̚͝ţ̷̡̥̬̼͈̪͉̀̈̅͝ͅs̸̢̧̱̟̳̠̤͖̖͔͍̼͈̥̯͔̠̭̓̌̄͐͂́̂̌̉̚ͅ:

-Claim Bral's limbs foiled by the dead king himself
-Build an army for new empire. -It shall be without end

Z̵̡̨̡̢̢̢̢̢̧̡̨̧̨̨̨̛̛̛̛̛̳̙̤͚̰͙̱̭̳͈̺̺͍̫͈̥͕̜̲̟̯̻̼̹̖̣̯̥̣͖̮̯̜̤̙̖͎̣͉̩͎̩̟͈̘̩̭͍̗͓̩̥̗̤̰̜̹͔̭̫̫̠̭̫̟̤̤̣͍͎̥̮̦̳̘̦͕̳̜̤̟̣̘͛͌̆̉̽͊̑̓̉̔̋͌̑̌̎͊͒̽͋̈́̄̊͛̆͑͂͂̊̓̽̅̉̽̌̀̿͐̒͆̆̀̍̈́̀̒̏̋̄̀͐̿̐̿͆̌͒́̃̋̐̑̑́̂͌̈́͑̿̂̔̽̍̆͗͐͊̽͛̋͋̃̏́͑̓͊̍̿͆̾̓͆̽̂́̎̉̍̈́̑͊̎͛̈͐͒̏͗͒̉͆̃̐̉̀̌̀̈́̆̀̇̿̍̀̿̊̑̿̓̏̿̀̃̒̅͐̄͐̂̅̃́͒͛̒̒͛̒̀͌͊̓̆̇͗̏́̆̅̏̌̏̏͆̋̈́͗͘̕͘̕͘͘̚̚̕̕̚͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͠͠͝͠ͅĄ̴̢̨̨̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̼̟̤̭͓̣̟̜̻̼͍͍̝͎̰̟̠̘̘͉̫̼̣̥̭͉̜̞͍͉́̀̈͒͊͊͗̈̃̈́̽͆̈́͆̋̏̓̔͛͊̏͒͋̾̈́̔̇̈́̿̽̓̇̾̎͗̈̉̊̓̌̉̈́̍̎̌͑̈̃̊̆̈̌̓̌͗̑̆̑̿̋͐̿̔̑̒̒̓̑͛͊̾̀͑̓̒͆̀́͗̇̾͗̃̍̅̒̃̓̇͐́̾̑̋̽̾́͋͌̍̒̌̀̿͒͌̑̑̅̈́͌̀̏̎̔̌̇̍͛͐̄̉́͒̽̂̐̐̏̆͊͑̔͆͒̌̏̋̽͑̉͌̀̉̊̉͛͋͗̂̌̄͗̑̀͘͘̕̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̚͘̚͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅĻ̸̧̢̧̡̧̡̧͈̼̩͓̟̝̳̖̼͎͈̻͙̻͉͎̞̳̖̮̭͉͔͓̥̰̦̙͕̭͔͚͍̜̟̘̜̟̳̦̻̙͓̩͉̬͖͓͎̰̳͉͉͙͙̝̩̼̖̝͇̥̥̱̟͙̭̖̰̬̝̟̦̘̹̘̪͉̺̱̟̱̲̙͈̟̻̺̻̪̹͇̘̤̼̤̖̗̙͍̯̟̼̦͔͚̥̞̟̣̥͆͋́̈́́͗̽͌͛̒̔̂̋̄͛͊̆̈͂̀͌̉̿̾͌̑̐͂͛̀̅͑̈́͌̃̐̎͑̔̾͘͜͜͝ͅͅͅͅͅǦ̸̨̡̢̢̡̨̛̛̮̺̞̯̺͇̜͚̞̰̥̫͙̙͖̘̹̪̩̟̱̫̫̬͈̩͓̮͎̖̺̘͔̘͕͔͙̼͉̖̮̗̦̦͉̳͓̦̦͉̺̝̝͉̥̻̰̪̟̰̜͍͍̮̻̼̪͉͈̥̱̠̜̹̮̟̥̭̯̻̯͎̙͕̺̺̥͎͓͚̯͖͗̀͒̈́̏̄̉̓̽̽̍̈́̀̆̽͛̂̒̋̉̐̄͊̃̓̽́̍͑̓̈̌́̂̆̐́̃̅̅̀̂̒̾͌̽̽̓͗̓̾͌̈̈́̆͘͝͠͝͝ͅȮ̷̧̨̡̢̨̧̨̡̨͓͔͔̥͔̳̹͖̘͇̘̞͓̞̹̭̜̤̪̰̭̞̘̟͇̟̫͈͚͉̘͖͕̣̟͉̘̫̮̙̰̪̞̫̰̺͈͇̺̮̞͇̖̦̪̺͙̳͍͓͙͔̻̦̱͖͓͇͔̼̪͙̬͓̩͓̠̠̳̮̼̭͔͇͓̮͖̩͔̭͈̭͇͇̯̖̮̠̭̪̥̫̮̣̹̝͙̯͎̝̯̬͓̲̱͉̗̻͇̗͙̫͕̻̣͓͚̣̼͍͖͓̖̗̼̜͔͚̪̩̹͎̬͙͖̲̫̿̈́̑̓̆̋̔̌̓̓͆͂̉̌͂́̍̔͐͒̓͒̊͂̋̿̀͌̆̃̚̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͝ͅ

Civs+ Mod

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 30, 2022, 05:31:31 pm »

This is a emu parchment quire bound in emu leather and decorated with kangaroo bone. On the item is an image of a kobold in wombat bone. On the item is written "Journal of Avafi Specialmosses, Kobold orphan" in Elven script.

My name is Avafi Specialmosses. I am a kobold, but I was found and raised by the elves of Dreamzephyr, my home. They taught me how to read and write and their sign language, but I cannot speak, as all kobolds. My elven family died several years ago when night creatures, howling freaks, attacked us and dragged them away. I have been alone ever since. My mother was named Aweme Arrowpure and my father Le Faintpears. I had an older brother named Olaca Secretrivers and a younger sister named Ula Beastwatcher. All were devoured by the beasts, my siblings ripped out of the burrow beneath a tree in which we hid, but the creature never came for me, at the back of the burrow, though sometimes I wish it did. I lived in the silent retreat, quietly, eating the fruits, hunting small game with my wooden spear and drinking from the brook, until last week, when I stumbled upon an whip buried in the sand. I cleaned the rust from it with a sharpened stone and it was a chain whip made of hard metal which my stone could not scratch further. My parents didnt teach us the ways of the destroying races like the humans, goblins and elves, so I know little about this weapon, but I chose to practice with it. I gave up worship of the river spirit years ago, I live as an animal, and I have even hunted and killed rabbits and weasels with my bare hands and wood spear. But now I have a weapon better than my claws, or my sharpened rocks and sticks.

I practiced with my whip for the last six days and have killed ravens, turkey and now an emu. I made this paper from its skin and carved its bones. Its not rotting so I think it worked. I killed a kangaroo and a wombat too, and used their bones and skin to add to the quire. The best way to kill is to break their ankles with the whip and then their neck, and wait for them to suffocate.

A beast came back last night, I heard its howling and wandering through the brush, but I dared not go out to look. Its tracks ended outside my burrow and turned around. It is gone now, but I must leave, before it comes back and tries to dig me out. It probably smelled my kills and followed my tracks. I must be very careful as I leave to hide my journey, so I will go by river.

The beast has been following me despite my attempts to hide. It attacked me as I was hunting a kangaroo herd, spooking them. I ran and hid along the brookside, and eventually it wandered off while looking for me elsewhere.

Ive made a terrible mistake today. As I fled the beast, I entered an abandoned human hamlet. There at their lord hall I thought I might find tools useful to me, but when I opened the door I found one of the howling freaks. It drew its dagger and rushed towards me. I ran around the back of the building and out into the trees. It may be following me, a strange smell like so many dead bugs has lingered in the air all day. Ive smelled it before, but never this strong, and I used to pass it off as nothing. Ive turned south now. In the neighboring hamlet I found no monsters, but a cloth backpack I can carry provisions in instead of hunting something new for every meal. Im sleeping now in a wooded area by a creek.

Ive continued south, and have had no more sign of monsters. I even came upon a human-inhabited hamlet, and tried to communicate with the people there, but they do not know elven script or signs, or maybe im just so out of practice that my sign has become unintelligible. I think their hamlet is called "Singedbear." They pointed me though to a castle outside their village, and there I met a goblin "chancellor," Bengel Ikicango who can read my elven script. He even had a book written in elven, and again in human, which he let me take, and a quiver and spear. He told me of a "museum" in the far south that might have more resources for kobolds, where other wanderers go to learn and teach. I dont have anywhere else to go, and I must admit I am enjoying finally having people to talk to again, even if I must write.

Night has begun to fall. I have reached the banks of a river to the south of the castle, just outside a village. I can once again smell the dead-bug scent of the monsters, coming from the east. The rain masks my presence somewhat, but I fear the beasts are still tracking me. Perhaps I can lose them in the river.

I encountered some unicorns on the plains and slew two. Their hides make fine clothes. Ive gone further south and found a walled city named "lipbraided." It seems almost abandoned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This journal was found on the body of a kobold and brought to the museum by a goblin who found it by the door to the keep of lipbraided, before promptly turning around.

That was a short and terror-filled adventure. I got an hour and a half of adventuring in and got strangled to death by one of those damn blighted thralls. Its hard being smol
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 05:38:35 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 30, 2022, 05:41:42 pm »

Good story, some of the shorter ones make for a tighter interesting narrative. Poor Kobold
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 02, 2022, 01:07:24 pm »

Oh well, more time for an epic fort!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 03, 2022, 03:31:49 pm »

"Moldath IV", Part I, Turn 91

23rd Granite 899 - The Travels of Kodor Anvilhearth the Grim

Head to toe clad in the finest steel armour the smiths of Northmanor could produce, and wielding the legendary steel longsword Deeptyphoons, Kodor leaves his home behind and travels south. He follows the map given to him by the elders, and the journey is slow and careful. He practices his swordcraft on the wild animals in the forest that spreads out before him, even besting a huge pike, which stands up menacingly in a river.

It takes nearly two weeks of uneventful journey before Clearmasters emerges on the horizon. Entering at dusk, Kodor finds the place eerily quiet.

He almost jumps out of his skin when he bumps into a horribly disfigured dwarf! The dwarf in question is has loaded a tall body with great muscles. His hair is very long, and bone white. He is missing his nose and one ear, and several teeth. What strikes Kodor most about his dwarf is not the overwhelming stench of decay emanating in waves of miasma, or the sickening rotten flesh that hangs from his clearly dead bones, but the hollow blank eyes which seem to be both unseeing and yet pierce his soul. The hairs on his neck stand on end as he manages to stammer... "Moldath Mournsaints the Ardent... the Blind Sadist!"

With a voice like skeletal fingers clawing on a microcline tombstone, the Sadist answers, grinning malevolently. "At your service!"

The two dwarves talk for many hours. Moldath is initially deeply doubtful and untrusting of Kodors intentions. Why on earth would he want to travel to Northmanor? His interest is piqued when the younger dwarf tells him that he has vowed to release him from his oath.

I made a promise, he tells Kodor, long ago to a dwarf who might have been my friend. And now I serve here, forever. How would you break this oath? This curse?

Kodor stammers once more. He admits he does not know, only that he promised he would bring Moldath to the spire of Northmanor, a glorius tower dedicated to Moldath himself. He tells Moldath of the rise of the scorpion in his absence, and of rumours of thefts from Moldath's lair in the castle of Spicetrails.

Moldath seems enraged by this, then seems to stop and stare into the distance, his milky eyes dancing in the torchlight. Another grin forms. Moldath knows a way, but Kodor isn't going to like it. But he senses the recruit is at least honest and truly beleives in his cause.

A sacrifice, of sorts, he says. The younger dwarf feels a sense of dread. Moldath gathers his belongings, such as they are. Many trinkets and crafts from his many years of adventures, and leads Kodor north by moonlight. The unlikely pair travel to an ancient tomb of Omob Obin, known in the common tongue as Martyrlanterns.

As they travel, Moldath tells Kodor of his plan. Only death will release him from this oath, but as Moldath knows more than most, death is not always the end. Producing from his backpack a handful of dusty rolls of parchment, Moldath inscribes several scrolls. Handing this cache to Kodor, he demands the young dwarf to read. Eldritch knowledge fills Kodor's fragile mind and he is changed.

The wind howls around the squat ziggurats of Martyrlanterns, rain lashing the ancient stones. The undead dwarf's cold fingers find what grip they can as he slowly scales the tallest spire. Atop the structure, his white hair whipping around him, Moldath Mournsaints makes a leap of faith. With a profane word, Kodor raises him as a Hollow Stalker, thus freeing him from his bond with Eskon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 02:11:24 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 260