Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409937 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2505 on: November 19, 2022, 11:48:47 am »

Hm. That's pretty weird. I definitely cleared out all the thralls at the start of my turn, visited every town and such. Guess more appeared as you say. Come to think of it, every migrant wave I had at Realmspire brought Blighted Thralls, suppose I should have done another purge before I handed it over, but I was so beat down by all the game instability that I couldn't manage it. Looking at the time and date, yeah seems that more ghouls moved in during my fortress making. Hopefully a stalwart youngling of the Realm will rise to the challenge.

Actually just prefer Anthrad @Lurker, it's less of a mouthful. Haha.

Oh no, has Irka Tinsabre turned Evil???

I suppose you'll have to wait for me to actually write to find out whether that's the case or not, if evil is the right word. ;P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps there are other ways to honor death. . .
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 12:11:28 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: November 19, 2022, 12:01:49 pm »

So I just downloaded the save and tried to unretire Moldath to see what state he is in. Still listed as being in Avolition's fort Holykingdom, but game crashes when I try to load. I think there's something wrong with that site too now.

We may be in the End Times now...

EDIT: Managed to get it to load, but only when switching text style to TWBT. I know from previous experience that this has been a source of errors in the past (using the LNP).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 12:04:04 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: November 19, 2022, 12:05:10 pm »

EDIT: Managed to get it to load, but only when switching text style to TWBT. I know from previous experience that this has been a source of errors in the past (using the LNP).

I've heard the same yeah, I use strictly vanilla myself and the site loads fine. Hopefully that's just a client issue rather than corruption.

I'm also far too invested in Orid Xem to let it fall with a whimper, even if it is gnarly corruption. Haha
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 12:17:16 pm by Unraveller »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: November 19, 2022, 12:26:21 pm »

Moldath shall rise again! Maybe!

Cook100500 should be next?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: November 19, 2022, 03:32:45 pm »

Moldath shall rise again! Maybe!

What more can Moldath get up to I wonder? The Twelfth secret? Ghoul-killing? King-making?

Oh, Bralbaard please give me another turn if you will!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: November 19, 2022, 04:12:41 pm »

I send Cook100500 a PM earlier. I'll add you to the list again unraveller. Looking forward  to your writeup!

Here is the updated map, with a new cutout for the area around Silverthrone:

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: November 19, 2022, 08:32:39 pm »

The Twelfth secret?

Honestly at this stage I think it is gone forever. I am open to suggestions!

Cog Wildnesswork's butchered remains are in Glazedriven, killed by Moldath before he could appreciate his uniqueness.. I could conceivably animate his skin, but not his corporeal form, and he is the only known NPC necromancer to learn Secret_6 - his only apprentice was slain by a cyclops 800 years ago.

The slab The Fragrant Burial is lost in The Pristine Tundras, probably never to be seen again, along with the necromancer hoard of Glazedriven stolen by Th4dwarfy1 Shieldtempests.

Th4dwarfy1 Shieldtempests' body is missing so I can't ressurect him - it is not in Herograves where it was interred, and it was raised as a mindless undead many years ago in 769 - the game tends to forget about non-intelligent undead corpses.

The books and scrolls from Glazedriven are "lost" and so techinically might be sitting on some random map tile in the middle of the glacier, but it would take months to search them all...

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: November 19, 2022, 11:41:25 pm »

GLORYAGE

Silver did gleam. The warmth of the morning sun beamed down, cutting through the disparate clouds and cutting aside the dense winter fog, it found its way upon the shining mail of the man with golden hair, a worn brow, and eyes that gazed only toward the future. From the precipice of the great hill that loomed over Silverthrone and Weatherponder he stood, swaddled in his arms a shimmering cloth not unlike the color of the morning sky. And therein, the tiniest little insinuation of a baby, drifting in and out of vestigial dreams in their father's arms. The man nudged a finger as gently as he could manage into the child's cheek, rousing it from it's sleep. "Look boy. . . Look Irka." He whispers before turning his eyes back across the Realm. "It's Omon Obin, my boy, it's our home. It's the home we fought for. The home we sweat, bled, and died for."

The young-ling responded with a resounding infantile cry electing their father to chuckle, "Irka Tinsabre." He spoke softly, holding the whining boy up in their adamantine wrap. ". . . The blade that should never be swung. I'll make those words ring true. . !"

". . . Some call it Sut, Tomb of Quests. Some say, Ala. The Dwarves say Tithleth or The Black. We know it as Gopet, the Putrid Cyst. . ."

Enrobed figures are gathered in the temples of Streammartyred, the Holy Eel, whom stands pontificating from the high altar splays both arms to either side as he speaks, the tall pointed shroud upon his head sways as he gestures so.

". . . But, my brothers, we know well that these great names are merely the personification of one unifying concept, one immutable truth, inescapable even in our glorious Realm of Silver. Yes. . ." He lowers his arms, leaning forth to place both palms upon the podium from which he speaks. The Holy Eel's occluded eyes pierce through the blackened veil to see his flock, to see the acknowledgement in their own eyes. He grips it tightly, delicate fingers across the rough stone. "Look to the Blights! Can we call this a gift of from the heavens? Can we call it punishment? For lack of virtue? For the stagnation of our old court? For. . ."

Another figure enters the temple, this one enwrapped by colors that mimic the bright moon in dark azure skies. That tall worshiper of Bikda made their way up toward the high altar, and leaned close to the Holy Eel. "Brother. . ." She spoke. "The Lord of Silver beckons for our presence. . ."

There they stood in the great hall of Silverthrone, three generations of Anthrad blood. Upon the titual Silverthrones sat the Law-Giver, Jas Anthrad and his dear wife and companion, Destis Sisterbreeches, both aged of face and greyed of hair. Humbly gathered too were the first-born son and daughter to the aforementioned two, Irka Tinsabre and Rimtil Minetwinkle neither having had a moment to cast off the garb denoting their religious stations. Then, without much in the way of manners to their parents' chagrin, three young children frolicked and danced across the hall of the Mirocline keep, Asri Boldpoked, Upek Yawnbearded, and Am Garnishedtulips all children to the Holy Subtlety, Rimtil.

"Children, please." She spoke, her voice as resounding as her stout body, taking well after her mother. Of course, the kids were off in their own world, playing Soldiers and Thralls or some other such game as they darted between statues of dwarfen-make, all chiseled in the image of the fallen members of the Band of Wax.

Just before Rimtil slammed her boot down, the Lord of Silver spoke, his voice was gentle, worn by four decades of stewardship. "Let them be." He mused, the law-giver couldn't help but smile as he gazed toward his willful daughter, "Never could I have imagined, when Jol, Eman, and I set out from sleepy ol' Waxfight on a fool's errand that I'd be sitting 'pon a throne watching my grandchildren laugh and play in our very own castle." He lets out a good and proper laugh, followed by a quick wheezing hack.

"Speaking of children. . ." Destis prodded in, jabbing her husband in the side with an elbow.

"Yes. . . Speaking of children. . ." The man repeated, tugging at his own collar with a certain whimsy.

"Irka, Rimtil." She addressed them with a flutter in her voice before lifiting up the cyan-clothed bundle in her arms "Meet your new brother, Luki. Luki Systemtowns, we like to think he'll be the great administrator." Cries suddenly filled the hall as Asri, Upek, and Am rushed to the source of the sound letting out a collective 'ooh' and 'aaah' as they met their own new uncle.

Irka merely raised a brow, electing to remain quiet as his sister's lips pursed into a mischievous smile. "You sly devil!" She manages to burst out, unable to keep back a giggle and an accusatory finger toward her seven-decades old father.

Jas raises both hands to defend himself, "D-Don't look at me. . !"

Only for his wife to laugh herself, drowning out Luki's cries, "I didn't think the old man still had it in him, bwahahah!"

Those of the Anthrad bloodline share that moment in earnest, a gentle peace in the seat of Omon Obin that their patriarch and his fellows suffered for. It was last moment of shared joy that they would have. . .

"Honored father. . ." Spoke Irka, breaking his solemnity. "Forgive my crassness, but is this the only reason you have called us from our work?"

The peace washed away from Jas' face, replaced with its old ferocity. "Irka, Rimtil. Join me in my chamber." He said alone, rising from his throne and ascending the central stair. His children followed.

". . . Over the last few months, certain reports have come back to my attention." The old Law-Giver begins, lighting a candle as moonlight filters in through the cut-gem windows. As he sat, so too did he beckon his children to draw in close, his brows furrowed and eyes narrowed, "Another outbreak of the Blight." 

"How could that be?" Rimtil asks, leaning close to her father, "Were you and your band not as thorough as the stories admit?" Despite the severity, she jeers.

Jas takes in a deep breath, he isn't smiling, "I cannot control the world past our borders. Other nations struggle still with the rise of those thralls. It isn't impossible that the disease has snuck back into our Realm." He sizes up his children, the expressions that their faces take in response. "It has only touched our northern holdings and it's no-doubt a far-cry from the Band of Wax days, but it must be stopped before it can fester like the old lords allowed it to."

"And what exactly do you want of us, honored father?" Irka wears a dubious look, he need not ask the question to understand the Law-Giver's intent. "You have men specifically trained for this, do you not?"

"Yes of course I do my boy. But men need leaders. Strong ones. Though I am old, still I could do it." Jas replies.

"Still you could do it. . ?" Irka raises a brow in incredulity, "Then again I ask, what need of us have you?"

"Listen to me child. I could do it, I could lead another crusade across this Realm. But my eyes are on the future. . . You see. I was not strong enough to put an end to the Blight, far from it. All I could do was excise and keep it from our little tract of land, but even that goal fails me. I was weak. I am weak. And in these inperfect times, the sins of the father fall upon the shoulders of his children. You must be strong - the both of you, together. One day soon Omon Obin will fall to your hands, show me then what you can do for our people."

There is a moment of silence between the three of them, the sound of wax droplets hitting the table and the distant cries of their newest brother are all that remain. "We are no soldiers!" Calls Irka, a frustration in his voice from the sudden expectations.

"Irka. . . We'll do as our father-- As the Lord of Silver asks. That's our duty--" Rimtil places a hand upon her brother's shoulder only to be rebuked.

"No! What fairness is there in this decision? Must the circumstance of our birth mean we've no agency? Must we be thrust into the maws of whatever danger you deem fit?"

Jas nods his head, retaining his demeanor, "You're right boy, 'tis not fair at all. That is why you must be stronger than I, and create a truly fair world. Do this. . . Or do not call yourselves my children any longer. . ."

IMPORTANT: At some point during my turn Silverthrone seemed to have broken, when I attempted to reclaim it just now it was crashing my game. So I'm in the middle of fixing that and will reupload the save before the end of the night. Hopefully you haven't started yet Cook.

EDIT: HERE'S THE UPDATED SAVE -- I will also message Cook.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:18:19 pm by Unraveller »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: November 20, 2022, 02:37:53 pm »

Hmm, ominous. I sense much anger in young Irka! Anger leads to hate….

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: November 21, 2022, 05:54:20 am »

Hmm, ominous. I sense much anger in young Irka! Anger leads to hate….
Hate leads to suffering
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Cook100500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: November 21, 2022, 08:59:50 am »

Starting the game later today, missed the date a little bit, i do hope there will be enough time to do something cool or die trying

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: November 21, 2022, 09:12:51 am »

Don't worry about it, as far as I'm concerned your turn starts when you posted, and I'm next on the list and I don't mind you having a whole week from today. Good luck, glad you could take your turn.

GLORYAGE

Jas nods his head, retaining his demeanor, "You're right boy, 'tis not fair at all. That is why you must be stronger than I, and create a truly fair world. Do this. . . Or do not call yourselves my children any longer. . ."
That's harsh. On the other hand, fitting from a medieval point of view, and especially after the harsh life Jas led which made him royalty. Irka's also pretty whiny, all things considered. It appears Jas didn't teach him how he had to get by in the wilderness or how he had to see his entire hometown dead, undead, redead and put to the flame to stop the spread of the blight.

Also, I noticed from Legends Viewer that the implication is

DFFD up, with file and user loss from 2015 upwards.

Long story very short: the site database was lost, the server didn't have automated backups like we thought, and the database had to be rolled back to one from 2015 (yes, I know). File listings for file IDs 10461 - 16147 could only be partially recovered but have fully intact and up to date file downloads. User accounts were obviously rolled back too; accounts newer than the time of the database backup will need to be recreated. A lot of other data (comments, votes, so forth) was likewise rolled back.

Thankfully all file downloads themselves were unaffected. All of the files that were orphaned are now in the new Orphaned Files category at the bottom of the category list.

Sincere apologies, this should never have happened. Automated backups will definitely be in place now, like we thought they were before.

My account on DFFD, I know some people were following it. I've uploaded first version of The Museum, as well as Orid Xem Arban Nitig.

Bomrek was taken out by a goblin of the Creamy Confederacy in 927... also, it appears Iroram has many goblin visitors. Maybe one of them broke the site?

Spoiler: Image, defenders (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, in my troubleshooting for Iroram:

The site was definitely modified after I played it. Let's see what replacing it does.

So replacing the site (and I can confirm it's site 1631.dat) with the one I left at the end of my own turn doesn't help. I think I'll have to reveal-all, then kill those filthy gobs, maybe one of them is frakking my save, maybe delete some items.

So, those filthy goblins don't show up, but Bomrek appears as... existing. He's following in Bralbaard's footprints of being killed in battle, but still existing in site.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 11:31:54 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: November 22, 2022, 05:24:25 pm »

I intend to try and fix some of the broken sites myself as well, but I'm not sure if deleting units is the way to go. If they are referenced elsewhere in the save game it might break more stuff? Killing them using old fashioned methods might be worth a try though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:26:01 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: November 22, 2022, 05:28:28 pm »

It's not my turn anyway, so I'm just testing so far. I haven't yet found a way to permanently delete an unit, the exterminate command just makes them pale, which necessitates a tick must pass for them to die, which crashes the game. I'm looking for a tool to instantly erase an item off the map, maybe that'll help. Also, it appears most of the visitors/freeloaders spawn in my tunnels rather than on the surface, which is interesting as well.

Hope you have better luck than me, Bralbaard.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: November 22, 2022, 05:39:48 pm »

It's not my turn anyway, so I'm just testing so far. I haven't yet found a way to permanently delete an unit, the exterminate command just makes them pale, which necessitates a tick must pass for them to die, which crashes the game. I'm looking for a tool to instantly erase an item off the map, maybe that'll help. Also, it appears most of the visitors/freeloaders spawn in my tunnels rather than on the surface, which is interesting as well.

Hope you have better luck than me, Bralbaard.

gui/gm-editor world.units

This will bring you up the data where they are stored in the game's memory. When it comes to your site Lurker, ot does crash even with all unit entries completely deleted, or so it did during my testing.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 263