Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409823 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2625 on: December 14, 2022, 06:01:27 pm »

I'm close to Realmspire, my FPS is terrible, I get by just by jumping and...

I am quite concerned my presence may have seen the end of one of the Royal line (or, I suspect, the reenactment of what I saw in LV after Unraveller's turn).

There's also a rotten slayer killing kea around there for the fun of it. As expected from Irka's realm I suppose.

That... most definitely wasn't me. XD

And they're hostile. I may be in trouble...

Had an epic fight with that undead horse who had 2 names and then the Lady just came from outside and helped me. I even dealt the last blow. The other undead don't attack me, which is a good thing, considering there are blind cave ogres around.

I loved the hall, but between the lag and the threats, I suppose I'll be out of here.

What's with the coins laying around though? Is Irka giving reward for each "level" you manage to get through, like a gaming dungeon?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 06:50:27 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 14, 2022, 06:55:37 pm »

If your talking in boltspumpkin i did collect a shit ton of coins and stored them there last turn.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 14, 2022, 07:07:20 pm »

No, Realmspire has coins in places that suspiciously look like dungeon RPG checkpoints. It also has a LOT of iron shields at the entrance and some basic iron armor (I left it there). I'm just wondering if Unraveller planned this or if the game has gained even more sapience to spawn this things on its own.

Ah, home sweet home. I visited Swordgleamed too, it's the massacre anyone would expect it to be. Completely deserted too.
Spoiler: Home sweet home (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:34:47 pm by Lurker Z »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 14, 2022, 10:08:25 pm »

You know, I thought about building a dungeon crawl challenge. I've never done it before.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: December 15, 2022, 10:21:46 am »

I found my old stuff, Jas didn't take them! I'm surprised, I'd have thought over so much time my cache would have been raided a long time ago. It's not like I had a sign on them saying "Lurker's house". That being said, if anyone finds their way through Señamatem, they're welcomed to equip themselves from there, obviously.

Wow, I'd even forgotten I'd even sorted them by metal. This is so cool. They're not great, mind, but they're good for melting I suppose. Lore-wise, Lurker left them for the villagers to arm themselves against outside threats even before knowing about the blight (obviously, it didn't work out).

My teeth bin! I was sure those things would be purged or rot by now.

Yeah, if I let myself, I'll probably waste my whole day putting the stuff I have in bins. I'm not sure if this is something I should do or not.

Hm, this changes things again. I suppose I'll keep this as a personal stash and give to Señamatem a share of the spoils.

Armok above and below, Señamatem has become a lag machine! I can barely make my way by jumping and I'm at the outskirts of the player made sites. I'll see about throwing away some junk that's probably clogging the area, the mason shops are chock full of unused material.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 11:07:55 am by Lurker Z »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: December 16, 2022, 03:02:12 pm »

Spoiler: Hmmmm (click to show/hide)

I hope it's not as bad as it looks and not too much "fun" occurs. The background isn't that strange, just had a crundle horde come out from the caves and I have a few necros who learned their craft in some player forts, a crundle or two died, the necro gestured and the rest is history. There's a cave crocodile in the stairways, I hope it doesn't rise because that'd be actually bad.

Game's running great, all things considered. Had a hiccup on the 1st of the 3rd month of a year, but that's likely because some event happened in the world. Between 50 and 75 FPS with almost 100 dwarves and around the same number of animals.

I'm hillock spammed. At least 5 hillocks were built so far. The elves might be annoyed, considering where I settled...

And some of those names...

They're full of humans too. I don't know what's causing this behavior (it's not unique, there are forts full of humans as far as last century at the least). Adilatír is hanging steady at 400ish dwarves and 2000ish humans, I wonder what happened with the other humans, since it was about the same number in other saves, maybe even a higher number. I'll see if I can get my char to explore the region, it's way in the north-western edge of the map though.

Ah, and I only got an Omon Obin caravan aside from Adilatír, ironic that, and this is likely thanks to Pik & Desli's camp at the edge of the world. They sure are the gift that keep on giving.

By the way, I started in 931. I think this was a part of Unraveller's fixes (or he played the game to make sure it's stable).

Eskôn really is a hole in the ground with nothing for it but lots of boulders in lots of open caves. It's amazing that it's developed its own history, it has sentimental reason more than anything, what with the diamond pedestal, Kikrost having grown on me, Moldath's prison and chain still exist there. It's interestingly how it has a visibly grandiose history, but when I look at it, I have no idea what to do with it.

I'm putting out there, I guess, if anyone wants to do anything with Lurker Onecbehal's legacy there, they're welcomed to it. I'd have much preferred to move on with Iroram, but with it still broke, I guess I'll turn my sights to the north. Maybe I'll visit Eskôn with my adventurer for old times' sake.

I'm skeptical... They gave me a house though, that's nice. It is interesting that this indicates that Omon Obin's war with the goblins may have gone hot.

Ah, nevermind. They booted me on the bridge. During nighttime. XD I still have my stuff on me.

So all my key controls died in this hillock except the one for Question Mark and Escape. I can retire here though. I also have a backup saved in case things turn out bad. Hmmmmm... let's save first. Aaaaaah, it's that stupid "press Enter to get all the conversation" bug. Ugh.

I found Jackalhide, glory to Pik & Desli! Now I know what I'm going to do, I'm going to make them a shrine, they deserve at least a few ☼statues☼. Then I'll see if I can move the humans from the hillocks to the camps. Such an awesome adventure.

I'm saving, then I'll see how the game handles me going to the edge of the world. I think I read in this thread that the game crashes, but I'll give it a try.

Ladies and gentlemen, probably for the first time in the Museum, the Edge of the World in all its glory!

...that is me not being centered anymore and not being to move, as if there was an invisible wall to the west. That's it. Kinda underwhelming. At least it didn't crash.

Yep, my new fort is a proper lag machine. 13FPS in adventure mode. Yay. Jumping jumping jumping (careful not to jump in the ocean, I jumped through Jas' throneroom and there were semi-hidden stairs and I fell down his mine shaft; got a few more teeth in my backpack from that. Also yay, I found the artifact statue that I had constructed, thrown on the ground where anyone can take it. Ugh. And the artifact desk that I ALSO constructed. Ugh. It better not be in the ocean, I'm not dredging it up for them.

I think when I retire him for the turn, I'll retire him to Jackalhide. I'm not sure I want my char to be caught in the slaughterfest that is the Adilatír nobility.

This could be an interesting experiment if I can pull it off. Get humans to the Realm of Silver, if I have too many dwarves, move them to one of the hillocks.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 09:37:18 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: December 17, 2022, 02:23:07 am »

Sounds like you’ve been having fun adventures, and the game seems pretty stable.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 17, 2022, 08:21:04 am »

So I've reclaimed Ilrallenod. Known issues:
* Cannot reclaim if the current session of the game didn't have an adventure mode. So if you just opened the game, you must first play an adventurer, retire him, then reclaim.
* Before reclaiming, bring with your adventurer at least a few barrels of food and booze. Hunting does NOT feed you and it's settled on mostly desert, so good luck with farming.
* The game locks about once a month. I don't know what it finds, but thankfully it gets over it.
* I'm running at 100FPS most of the time, so there's a miracle for that somewhere considering all the items laying around.
* There is now a huge mountain of corpses, body parts and other items to the north of the walls. Enjoy.
* You should probably bring with your adventurer some snazy clothes, since all they have is the basic.
* Most of the dwarves are useless. I found a lvl16 weaver. Weaver! That is NOT a vital trade. Mining and woodcutting maxes are 4-5 (Dwarf Therapist values).
* At some point, dwarves refused to cut trees, so wood is limited. I'll see what I can do about that. Maybe they lost the ONLY axe they had (just a speculation), but considering all the stuff lying around, I cannot believe there is only one axe in the capital.
* A noble makes a demand every day. This means all Ilrallenod citizens are criminals. Do NOT appoint any justice position.
* Nobody has the whereabouts to claim one of the many rooms in the bowels, so everyone is sleeping on the floor. I don't care.
* Adilatír traders arrived, but without a caravan. I've changed the entranceway to hopefully allow a full caravan to enter for the next poor soul who chooses to be this place's overseer.
* Even with all these problems, since I'm stubborn, I at least stayed enough to make a slate 3x3 stairway for the first 10 levels. I'll probably retire it either later today or when they finish emptying the bowels of bodies and other junk. This may take a while.

Edit: I think I fixed the woodcutting. I do suspect some job rights get unassigned without player input. Yeah, looks like Dwarf Therapist has had enough of Ilrallenod's insanity and its job orders don't stick.

This is my workforce, folks. Almost 60 years old and he learned nothng.

This is decent for half a day's work. Most of the corpses and body parts in the depths have been surfaced. I think I won't push my luck anymore and be grateful the world hasn't broken yet. Going back to adventuring.

I'm at the Shelter of Adventurers. It's as laggy as I remembered. Jumping helps, but it's still slower than jumping even in Ilrallenod. Actual walking is a crisp 4FPS. I got to meet Urus, Ketas and others, so that's nice. I left some of the leftover items from Ironwards in the eastern chest if anyone wants to brave the lag.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:06:56 am by Lurker Z »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 17, 2022, 01:46:06 pm »

I didn't visit the shelter of adventurers either because of the lag. It was truly astoundingly awful, and I usually tolerate goblin pits and towers. I think the creature spam issue with adventurer camps is the main blame in many cases. The caverns fill up with critters you can't reach/find to kill and another group spawns each time you reload the site, whether sleeping or travelling or building. Pik and Desli's camps included, but I didn't do much with them and made a new one every time and they don't get visited often.

It would be better having a small player fort for players to retire in. One linked to a civ that doesn't have a bunch of civilians we care about losing if werebeast or vampire characters migrate to one of their other sites.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: December 17, 2022, 02:13:37 pm »

Oh god the shelter of adventure, it was laggy for me during my first turn. Was a nice site but took ages.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: December 17, 2022, 02:46:38 pm »

I didn't visit the shelter of adventurers either because of the lag. It was truly astoundingly awful, and I usually tolerate goblin pits and towers. I think the creature spam issue with adventurer camps is the main blame in many cases. The caverns fill up with critters you can't reach/find to kill and another group spawns each time you reload the site, whether sleeping or travelling or building. Pik and Desli's camps included, but I didn't do much with them and made a new one every time and they don't get visited often.

It would be better having a small player fort for players to retire in. One linked to a civ that doesn't have a bunch of civilians we care about losing if werebeast or vampire characters migrate to one of their other sites.

If the problem is lots of creatures, why not just hit them with DF Hack’s Exterminate command? In combination with Reveal naturally…
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 19, 2022, 09:07:14 pm »

With college banished temporarily I think I’m ready to once more ask for a turn. I promise no disappearing this time!

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 20, 2022, 05:16:24 am »

Welcome, Noagga. It'll take about 2 months until your turn, just something to keep in mind.

Here's the wiki article for Lurker, I was originally going to make the story, but I don't see the use. Between that and the forum posts, there's already two POVs and while I'd bring a third with Lurker's exploits, I'd just rehash the same info.

And speaking of, add me to the turn list too, Bralbaard. I've accomplished most of what I wanted, I suppose, more than I expected, at any rate.

Final tally and/or some extra notes:
* One good thing of reclaiming the capital is that the nobles suddenly become fertile and pop up offspring left and right, making some interesting historical figures.
* I forgot how annoying it is to retire and unretire a fort, it's even worse for one next to the ocean. It randomly floods your rooms and stairs next to the water tiles even if those tiles never had water on them before.
* The Lady I talked about was Jas' wife, Destis Laniecroh. Apparently, her "crashing into something" is how the game acts when someone has to die of old age in adventure mode (LM says a troll killed her; maybe it's true, I'm not sure I trust what message means what; and if so, why didn't the troll attack me when the horse did?). She died (again) of old age a few months later in Realmspire. I think that's actually better than me rezzing her with in-game necro, especially with King Bralbaard's lore that (some) dead do not want to be brought back, or the game mechanics where some undead attack everything living and need to be put down.
** Her position as Sacred Sun stayed vacant until her granddaughter Asri Ringcobi came of age and took it. Interesting.
* Rusna "died of starvation" in Treatyseed. This is a bug I've mentioned before, where adventurers die of dehydration (or in this case starvation) when the capital is reclaimed (it had happened to me so far only in test saves).
** When I reclaim Treatyseed as a test, there are 7 blighted thralls. Looks like the cleansing still has a way to go.
* I haven't managed to clean up anything loose around Señamatem, it's taken me literally days just to clean up my inventory. In fact, my own new fort may be more laggy in adventure mode than Unraveller's at this point, so... apologies, I suppose.
* I've retired my adventurer in Jackalhide.
* Game remains at 1,97GB size compressed and 479MB archived.

And that's about it. Now let me just get to uploading.

I'm seeing on the first page of the thread:
98a: Cook100500 post 1 (lost timeline)
98b: Lurker Z ( current turn)
Didn't Cook get 3 months in before the game broke? I'm pretty sure Unraveller fixed Cook's current game? That'd make Cook's turn 98 and mine 99.

some deep lore from the last dwarf of the pure spear (dwarf nomads)

Looks like Larina Longscale doesn't exist in the save (Cook's character or their companion). Damn, looks like the progress really was lost.

How am I a bowman? I haven't fired an actual bow in my entire life as this character. Yes, I carried a bow and lots and arrows with me, but I don't see the sense. I used swords and axes.

1. the forgotten beast Thudel Umbranights (Visual), Trust (25)
2. the forgotten beast Omethu (Visual), Trust (25)
3. the forgotten beast Ralu the Mongrel of Baiting (Visual), Trust (25)
4. the forgotten beast Reignlittle the Bait of Brilliance (Visual), Trust (25)
5. the forgotten beast Sosmil Glandcurse the Pulpy Sin (Visual), Trust (25)
Ok, where? This has to be a bug, Rimtil has the same supposed sightings.

Here's the save:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16253

Good luck, kesperan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 10:22:22 am by Lurker Z »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: December 20, 2022, 08:39:13 am »

Good luck with your turn, Kesperan.

As a side note I'm going to have to ask that I be dropped a few places down the turn list.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 20, 2022, 11:27:58 am »

The turn list has been updated, as have some of the other posts.
Three sites have been added to the map: Blueoceans and Deephalls (WTF is this?!) are new sites in the North-Western corner of the world. We are all familiar with Treatyseed/Ilrallenod, but it has been added to the map now that it has been reclaimed. I wonder what influence that will have on it's stability, and the future of the kingdom. It is somewhat promising that the number of dwarves in the world is finally back above a thousand, after 130-140 years.

I enjoyed reading your updates, Lurker and Nogoodnames.
Good luck on your turn Kesperan!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 11:30:12 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 263