Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409507 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2760 on: January 14, 2023, 08:32:14 am »

The saga of Jas and his family are exciting for me to read I'm always impressed by how much you can get done especially with how much time passes inbetween turns.

Addendum to my turn:
I had to replay the cloning of Bralbaard and it went all the same except for the fact that Arthur cut off his left hand
so now I have Bralbaard's (right hand) left hand

So Arthur's museum submission is the cave dragon
Maloy's is the following
Bralbaard's tooth
Bralbaard's mangled head
His Right hand's left hand
as well as the brain and heart of the charcoal brute Pis who was speaking through the ear all along
Mortality is also stored in the same bag with them, but obviously it's not mine to submit
You have a favourite from those submissions?  I'd like to keep it to one submission if possible to not confuse things too far.
Also I see I'm missing my other hand now, at this rate I'll never be a spell caster.  ;D

SAVE: Okay so I'm having the same problem the last two players did where I'm not properly compressing the save down to where it fits on dfiledepot. What do I do besides just the regular compressing of the file?

Last time that happened there was a setting that needed to be clicked in the archiving software to use more advanced compression, but that is likely software specific?
You could check if your archiving software has that. If not, upload elsewhere.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: January 14, 2023, 08:38:22 am »

What was previously used was Win Rar and setting compression to best.

Also looks like Bralbaard will be rolling dice to regain the lost hand.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:40:19 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: January 14, 2023, 09:01:59 am »

Hm can I have a submission for Arthur and one for Maloy? If not its fine

Arthur's would be the cave dragon
Maloy's would be the Right Hand's Left Hand

If only one of those the right hand's left hand!
Since I have a feeling all those other items are gonna be claimed by someone else at some point anyway hahaha

So you do have the hand! The ritual included two full-heals
First your zombified self was fully healed and then killed
and then when resurrected with intelligence you were fully-healed again.
I haven't read all of bralbaard's story entries, but I'd hazard to say you're at your most powerful now as an intelligent undead with no injuries. I also saw you gesture and send a helpless animal flying and bleeding across the map.

Also I suppose someone COULD test the clone theory now using the right hand's left hand. I was wanting to test that with your mangled head, but it was mangled. I have a feeling you can only get your whole body back because we dfhacked your hand into being a unique entity, but someone can test that.

Save: We're at 490mb now with best compression
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16349

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: January 14, 2023, 10:57:53 am »

OOC: To answer an earlier question from Kesperan: I THINK it was one of yours? If so it was totally wild and I tried to flee I'm sorry :(

I checked legends mode - the cave dragon which was killed was the mother of the three hatched in The Eternal Citadel. How strange. That means there should still be four male cave dragons kicking about but they may have scattered to the winds, and without the female, no chance of getting more...

Edit: Is Confinedsabres the new Herograves?

Edit 2: How did Arthur become a necromancer? I thought Elves couldn't be necromancers because they are immortal?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:03:17 am by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: January 14, 2023, 11:08:00 am »

I haven't read the rest of the posts, but to answer kesperan, I think elves and goblins don't become necromancers in World Generation because they're immortal, thus can't become obsessed by their own mortality, thus don't worship death deities to get slabs. I don't see why an elf, goblin or anything else for that matter that can read can't read a slab or book and thus become a necromancer, in either adventure mode or fort mode. In fact, that's a good !!science!! project, get an elf or goblin to read a book with the secrets of life and death and see if they become necromancer, though I suspect they indeed would.

Edit: I thought Athama, Irthu's elf companion, was a necromancer too, but it looks like he is only a vampire and undead. So Arthur might be the first necromancer elf in the history of Orid Xem. Cool!

Has anyone taken any look on the missing diacritics, what it affects, if it can be reversed and if it's worth bothering to do? I suspect the translation files that hold words in English and in fantasy races' tongue (human, dwarf, elf, goblin etc.) got borked.

Regarding file size: it looks like at this rate we'll hit 500+MB sooner or later, there's no problem in uploading in other places than DFFD, the only condition for a save file that I know of is that the person whose turn is next have access to it at the time they take their turn.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:19:15 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: January 14, 2023, 11:18:50 am »

OOC: To answer an earlier question from Kesperan: I THINK it was one of yours? If so it was totally wild and I tried to flee I'm sorry :(

I checked legends mode - the cave dragon which was killed was the mother of the three hatched in The Eternal Citadel. How strange. That means there should still be four male cave dragons kicking about but they may have scattered to the winds, and without the female, no chance of getting more...

OH NO I'm really sorry I really did do my best to escape the dragon. Would it be possible if you reembarked on that fortress to use dfhack to restore the wild cave dragon population? Thus causing more to migrate into the caverns? I had to do something like that on my generational fort because we wiped out all the local animal populations over the years

Normally elves don't turn necromancer that's why I felt comfortable letting Arthur hunt for Mortality for me. I'm actually kind of bummed to see he is a necromancer as when I was playing him it didn't say he became one.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: January 14, 2023, 12:12:03 pm »

OH NO I'm really sorry I really did do my best to escape the dragon. Would it be possible if you reembarked on that fortress to use dfhack to restore the wild cave dragon population? Thus causing more to migrate into the caverns? I had to do something like that on my generational fort because we wiped out all the local animal populations over the years

Normally elves don't turn necromancer that's why I felt comfortable letting Arthur hunt for Mortality for me. I'm actually kind of bummed to see he is a necromancer as when I was playing him it didn't say he became one.

Don't worry about it Maloy. The female cave dragon obviously reverted to wild state and left my fort, which is why you encountered her in the wilds. I can always reclaim the fort in my next turn and hunt for more, but I might do something else entirely!

Legends Viewer classes Arthur as a necromancer because he read the book and learned the secrets of life and death. However, he cannot actually use any necromantic powers as he is an elf, and already immortal. I confirmed this by unretiring Arthur to have a look - in his description it says "he doesn't feel anything after learning the secrets of life and death" but he has no option to raise corpses as an acquired power. It must be a LV quirk.

I have tried learning secrets as elf adventurers before and it doesn't matter if they are raised in human civs etc; it isn't anything to do with values/ethics; somehow the physiology of immortality makes you immune from actually using death magic even if you "learn" the secrets.

It kind of puts me off ever playing as an elf in adventure mode - always having to lug food and water around. Suppose vampirism is always an option...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: January 14, 2023, 01:30:16 pm »

Yeah, elfs are too pure. Its much in the same vein as plump helments outside of world generation chaos they never can become necromancers or any immortal really.

Also good luck Quantum drop. Hopefully third times the charm and your able to play this week.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: January 14, 2023, 08:01:08 pm »

Thanks AvolitionBrit. I should be able to play starting from tomorrow (Sunday 15th), assuming nothing goes horribly wrong. I'd also like to express my appreciation for Maloy and Unraveller's latest writeups; I love the character development and writing of them both.

Speaking of writeups: here's part two of turn 92, leading on from part 1. Hopefully I'll be able to write up the rest of the turn before another two months go by and I lose half my screencaps again :V.

3rd Malachite, 899

The sun was low in the western sky by the time Gasin, Thadar, and Dubmith neared their destination. The diaries that Gasin had confiscated from Kosoth Heatlions’ house had been less than useful, many of their pages torn out by its owner’s hand or purposefully obfuscated with ink. They had given only a name – Channeltwigs. A small castle, not too far westward from the hamlet they had been called to.

Gasin slowed his pace, the hair on the back of his neck prickling up. The chitter of birds and animals in the grass, present throughout their travels, was now absent. Not a thing stirred as the three of them made their way across the grassy slopes that lay ahead of the castle. Eyes narrowed to wary slits, his fingers tightened on the hilt of his sword. A look to his side confirmed it – Thadar had sensed the same oddities, and was looking to him with an expression to match his own.

“Stand ready, my comrades,” He murmured, feeling his skin crawl strangely. “There is devilry in the air here.”

Thadar and Dubmith obeyed, their hands dropping to the hilts of their respective weapons. The party of three crept forward at a slow, alert pace, expecting some Blight-bearing creature to spring from the thin air in ambush. None of them expected what lay beyond the crest of the last hill.

“By the shadows…”

The field before the castle was carpeted with the dead. Very few of them were whole; even fewer were fully human. Most bore the blisters and weeping sores of the Blight-infected, beside the terrible wounds that had killed them; others were bloated or desiccated, as though they had laid exposed for seasons before the group’s arrival.

The castle itself was in ill condition, as well. The walls were pitted and stained, while the main gates hung in ruin on their broken hinges. More bodies were piled at the gatehouse’s entrance, left to rot in the dirt where they had fallen. These corpses were new, some still leaking blood from their mortal wounds; more disturbingly, all but a few lacked any sign of the Blight’s foul influence. Gasin felt his face crease into a frown as he bent down to study one of the bodies, turning it over with the assistance of his sword to get a better look.

“Wait –” Gasin’s eyes narrowed, then widened sharply as he turned another of the bodies over. Upon its broken breastplate, it bore the crest of the Realm of Silver, half-obscured by blood and dirt. “These bodies are fresh.”

Thadar swore aloud at that, marching over to stand beside him. “You’re right, ser. Hours old, at least. And here –” She raised a gauntlet-clad finger to point down at the nearest corpse. Its hands were still wrapped around the throat of another, this one with a bloodied, blistered face twisted into a mask of fury.  “This one was no thrall.”

“Aye,” Gasin leaned down to look closer. “And these wounds, too... blade and bludgeon, but too severe for a human’s hand.”

Inquisitor and soldier looked to one another with a scare. Neither dared speak what they feared, however, instead turning back to Dubmith – the priestess of Bikda had not spoken a word since they arrived, standing amidst the bodies with her head cocked to the side as though listening for something. Before Gasin could speak, she raised a finger for silence.

“Wait,” Dubmith ordered. “Do you hear that?”

Gasin and Thadar stopped to match their comrade, ears straining to catch whatever distant sound the priestess of Bikda had sensed. At first, there was nothing but the slow whistle of the wind and the rustle of small creatures in the undergrowth to be heard. Slowly, however, there came another noise – a voice, rendered near-unintelligible by distance and distortion, but unmistakably human. And, if the tones were any indication, quite thoroughly distressed.

“Life? In this place?” Thadar rumbled, turning her good eye to look askance at Dubmith. Though her doubt was clear in her voice, the ill-concealed twitching of her fingers toward her axe and the glint to her eye put the lie to her scepticism. 

“It would sound as much, aye!” Dubmith cried, wheeling to face Gasin. “Lord C –”

But Gasin was already in motion, traveller’s cloak billowing out behind him as he sprinted across the gore-spattered field, sword in hand and shield raised. Thadar couldn’t help but let out an amused laugh at the sight, unlimbering her great axe and storming after him with a grin on her ruined face. It had been too long since her last proper fight, and even longer since she’d seen Gasin of all people rushing in ahead of her.

“Try to keep up, ‘Mith!” She yelled back, grinning wider at her comrade’s half-poleaxed expression. “Don’t want you to miss out on this!”

The castle of Channeltwigs was under siege. The thralls had come in the night, shambling out of the darkness at the head of a horde of the dead. Gaunt, emaciated creatures weeping blood from reddened sores; grotesquely over-muscled brutes, their flesh splitting open with every movement; forms so mangled that they were little more than lumps of flesh and bone, dragging themselves through the dirt through sheer will – all had come out of the dark like the boogeymen of old tales, to batter at the gates of the castle in search of the living souls within.

They had fought them. They had hurled arrows and stones down at the shambling horde, fought them with blade and bludgeon when they sought to break through the gatehouse and enter the main body of the castle.

But it hadn’t been enough. The thralls were persistent and patient, and the defenders could only hold them back for so long. Every thrall lost was replaced by another; every defender lost swelled their ranks. The shambolic horde of refuse following in their wake had only tipped the balance further, until their lines had finally disintegrated under the pressure and the gates had come crashing in.

“Back to the keep, damn you all! Fall back!” Hathur Craftedmirrored roared, her voice carrying across the courtyard despite the snarls and groans of the blighted horde that now surrounded it on all sides. The broad-shouldered axewoman shoved one of the fleeing castle staff behind her, twisting her arm about to slam a shambling corpse full in the face with her shield. It collapsed with a spray of blood and a muffled groan, letting her partner finish it off with a sharp downward blow of his hammer.

“How the hell… are we meant to hold them back… captain?” Luki, their archer, wheezed. Her features were lined with exhaustion, blood dripping from her fingers where her bowstring had cut into the skin. She had barely made it back into the courtyard when the thralls and the undead broke through into the barracks, making it out moments before the doors were barred.

“We don’t. Lusko -” She turned to face their hammerman, from his position beside the keep’s doors. “There’s a passage in the cellar - a tunnel. Get everyone you can out, and go south. Get to Speechrags and ask them for shelter.”

“Yes – but… what about you?”

Hathur shook her head. “I stay. I can buy us a few minutes if I can give them something to hunt.”

She was midway through walking forward, her axe and shield raised in readiness for one last fight, when she felt a hand grip her shoulder.

“Then I can double that time.” Mori raised her shield and war hammer, a smile spreading across her face. Others joined her in moments, the few remaining members of Channeltwigs’ military stepping forward in wordless agreement, their features set into masks of grim determination. “All of us can. What do you say?”

“You take the dozen on the left, and I’ll take those on right.” Sizet drawled, a note of amusement entering her tone as she nodded toward the horde of thralls lumbering across the grass toward them. “Shouldn’t be too hard. If these careless bastards were stupid enough to get bit, even we should be able to put ‘em down.”

Hathur and a few of the others laughed, though there was little true levity in the sound.

“Thank you. All of you.” Hathur gripped the leather-bound handle of her weapon, trying to ignore the leaden weight in her gut and the painful tightness rising in her chest. She turned back toward the keep, forcing her features into something like a smile. “May we meet again around a hearth in Loli’s halls.”

The barrier they had erected to try and block off the thrall-infested barracks gave way with a crash, the dead spilling out into the castle’s grounds. Hathur’s head whipped around to face the source of the sound, and felt her blood run cold. She recognised the thrall standing there, towering and hatchet eyed, a spear clutched in her blistered fingers.

Ramet had always been one of the best of them, tall and heavily muscled from years of practice with the spear. She could wield her polearm like an extension of her own body, flitting in between the arcing blows of enemy soldier and wild beast alike with a fey grace before delivering a pin-point blow that would send her foe’s body crashing to the ground, struck dead or crippled in a single strike. When the thralls had come, Ramet had been one of the first to the walls, a key figure in the castle’s defence. She’d danced between the lethal, snapping jaws and raking bone talons of their former comrades to deliver precise stabs and broad swings with her spear, cutting through blighted flesh to send the lifeless bodies of thrall after thrall crashing to the red-stained ground. She’d been tireless, saving the lives of her companions a dozen times over in the course of the bloody battles that defined the past few days.

She was a hero, and a friend. Now, with the Blight burning through her blood, that power was amplified and turned against them all.

Ramet’s spear pinned Ves to the wall like an insect on a board before she could even blink, her stout plate providing little protection against the thrall’s diabolical strength. Jasro had only a moment to shout in denial before Ramet was upon her, tearing her spear loose from Ves’ collapsing body and practically vaulting over the corpse of her once-friend to lunge at the crossbowman, howling like an animal.

Jasro managed to get her bow up halfway before the spear’s head took her through the jaw, and Ramet’s free hand was clawing at her face. Thrall and archer alike went over in a tangle of limbs, rolling along the ground and vanishing into the tide of bodies that had spilled from the gatehouse. For an instant, Hathur dared to hope that she might just see Jasro emerge – then Ramet burst free a few moments later, mouth smeared with bright red gore and her eyes ablaze with insatiable hunger.

For a single, terrible moment, the defenders faltered. Then, as the horde began to charge, one of them let out a shout in a voice of thunder and slammed their weapon against their shield.

“For Omon Obin!”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Within seconds, it was a melee once again. Hathur waded into the tide of bodies, her greataxe sounding heavily upon the limbs of thrall and reanimated corpse alike. Metal split and leather tore under the force of her strikes, baring diseased flesh for her fellows to tear into with their own weapons, sending limbs flying in every direction. Sizet and Mori occupied themselves with keeping Ramet away from the keep, desperately countering the wild, jerking creature’s blows and trying to strike back with their own. Luki snapped off a couple quick shots from her bow, only for the arrows to harmlessly bounce from Ramet's iron shield; the thrall responded with customary brutality, raking her across the arm with claw-like nails before driving the point of her spear through the archer's cheek. While it did not penetrate too deeply, it was still enough to rip several teeth from the gums and send Luki lurching back toward the wooden doors of the keep.

Oce was not so lucky. A wild charge from the thralls caught the dwindling party in the flank. Hathur managed to keep them at bay with several desperate swings of her axe, but Oce ended up being sent to the ground by the weight of one walking corpse; within moments, he was in the jaws of half a dozen thralls, screaming as the blighted creatures set to their bloody work. The iron plate and mail that had preserved his life in their previous battles was now turned against him, turning the knives and teeth of the thralls away from his most vital areas.

Hathur was close, almost in arm’s reach. She could see his head turning to face her, blood running in rivulets down his face. His mouth moved, soundlessly, but the request was clear enough.

Hathur made the only decision she could.

She gritted her teeth, drew back her arm, and continued to fight. Under any other circumstance, she would have granted the mercy-stroke in a heartbeat; as it stood, to grant it would be to die. And so Hathur Craftedmirrored fought on, even as her fallen friend’s agonised screams rose and fell and finally cut off amidst a set of wet crunching noises, even as her limbs began to burn with the effort of moving and sweat soaked through her padded tunic, even as her vision began to sting and blur with unshed moisture.

The thralls pressed their attack once again. They seemed almost organised in their aggression, now that they had tasted blood – Ramet and the stronger thralls hung back from the pack, circling the trapped soldiers like wolves, while the walking corpses and weaker thralls threw themselves against the dwindling group’s defences in mindless, shrieking hunger. They paid dearly for each inch of ground taken, but the dead were as numerous as they were aggressive. Inch by painful inch, they were being driven backward toward the gates of the castle’s keep.

And then the battle would be over. It was a miracle they had held out this long, but desperation and determination could only hold the dead at bay so long. Soon, there would be none of them left to defend the few wounded and non-combatants left in the keep, and then the horde would feast.

A ripple ran through the horde. Blind, mutilated creatures turned their heads back toward the ruined gates; thralls swung about, their nostrils flaring as they sniffed the air. There – in the gatehouse’s ruins! Three soldiers in unfamiliar garb stood, looking upon the field of carnage that greeted them.

The thrall that had once been Ugan howled in fury and lunged for the trio of new arrivals, her bloodied maul swinging in a wild arc. Before it could strike against flesh or metal, the leader of the group was already in motion; he strode confidently toward the seething press of broken bodies and twisted flesh, longsword sweeping up to cut the heavy, broad head of the maul away from the shaft with almost contemptuous ease before whipping about into a reverse-stroke that cut most of Ugan’s arm from her body. A third slash, and the once noble hammerwoman was freed from the Blight’s grasp.

His fellows wasted no time in following the first’s lead; scarcely had Ugan’s body fallen when it was joined by two others, a pair of the resurrected corpses falling in pieces as the swordswoman and her axe-bearing counterpart hammered their weapons into their rotting forms. The three strode on into the battle, blades sweeping around their forms as they began to tear a bloody swathe through the undead horde. Thralls and corpses alike fell with every blow, to be replaced by more as the horde switched its attention to the new threat in its midst.

Hathur felt something bloom in her chest at the sight, something light and hot. Energy she didn’t know she had surged back into her leaden limbs, and she swung her axe back over her shoulder, screaming a war-cry as she plunged into the battle once again. The other surviving soldiers echoed her gesture, plunging into the battle with furious shouts and renewed energy. Thrall after thrall fell in arcing sprays of scarlet blood until only Ramet remained, the blistered thrall locked in a furious three-on-one duel against the newcomers.

The leader of the three met a lunge from Ramet’s spear with one of his own, narrowly deflecting the copper head from his side. The thrall followed up the repelled lunge with a hard punch to the face, sending him back in a burst of blood and spittle, before wheeling about to kick the black-clad swordswoman full in the chest as she scrambled forward to try and strike at Ramet’s exposed back. Only the axewoman managed to land a blow, her axe’s head tearing a broad gash into the metal and wood of Ramet’s shield.

Snarling, the infected spearwoman turned to face the new threat, her spear looping about in a arc to neatly skewer the axewoman’s right shoulder; only a desperate dodge saved her from a serious blow, and even then it was strong enough to slice a fingerwidth through her bronze plate and draw a thin line of blood.

Seizing the opportunity, Gasin rushed forward and drove his longsword forward, the blade tearing a bloody gash across Ramet’s face that laid her head open to the bone. Ramet let out a thunderous roar of rage and wheeled about to retaliate, driving her spear at her attacker with enough ferocity to jar his arms painfully on the very first parry; the second and third slipped past his guard to draw blood from his shoulder and side, sending him scrambling backwards as Dubmith rushed forward to draw Ramet’s attention.

Ignoring the burning in her limbs, Hathur forced herself to move toward the duel. The others were holding back uncertainly, circling warily outside the reach of Ramet’s spear and clawed fingers, but she had no such compunctions. Whatever she could do to help them against the once-great spearwoman, she would do without hesitation.

Ramet’s spear met the axewoman’s bronze shield, deflecting off the rim in a shower of fat sparks. The grizzled warrior responded with a blow of her own, a blow from her shield’s edge sending a thin line of spittle and blood spraying from Ramet’s mouth. The thrall staggered, snarling, and in her distraction, she failed to see the form of Mori limping toward her from behind. As Ramet drew back her arm to strike, Mori lurched forward, seizing Ramet’s arm from behind with an iron-hard grip; the thrall staggered mid-lunge, unbalanced by the sudden weight.

And as Mori wrenched Ramet’s arm backward, preventing her from moving or punching at her latest target, Hathur charged full force against her former friend. Something tore its way out of her throat as she swung her axe down, a noise halfway between grief and rage joining the cacophony of the battle. The thrall that had once been her comrade looked up at the murderous cry; for a single moment its eyes met with hers, and in the moments before the heavy blade of Hathur’s axe shattered Ramet’s shoulderguard and cleaved her friend in half from collar to pelvis, she could see the relief in her friend’s eyes.
“That seems to be the last of them,” The nobleman intoned, turning toward Hathur and her surviving comrades. “You fought well.”

“Not well enough,” Hathur muttered, before she could stop herself. A bone-deep weariness was settling over her, and it took all her remaining will not to slump to her knees.

“Nonetheless, to hold against such odds speaks much of your prowess.” He remarked, peering past her to where the rest of the survivors stood. A mixture of wary, exhausted, and outright fearful gazes met his, the survivors still stuck in the haze of blood and death that had hung over them for the past days. The nobleman’s features quirked into an almost apologetic smile. “Ah, but where are my manners? I am Gasin Crewcanyons, of The Order of Butterflies.”

“Hathur Craftedmirrored of Channeltwigs,” She managed to wheeze, before her legs finally gave out. Only a quick grab by Mori stopped her falling face-first into the dirt, the hammerwoman keeping her upright with a grunt of effort. Grimacing, Hathur tried to force herself to speak again, only to be cut off by a look from Mori. The grim-faced hammerwoman turned to the inquisitor, teeth bared in a grimace.

“Can this wait, sire?” She growled, heaving Hathur back to a semi-upright position against her shoulder. "

“Indeed, this can wait.” Gasin nodded toward the keep. “We should see to the wounded, first.”

“Wait…” Hathur managed to wheeze, heart lurching sharply in her chest. She turned her head to face her comrades, adrenaline flooding into her as she recognised that they were one short. “Sizet! Where-!”

“There!” Mori growled, raising a hand to point to where a slumped figure lay in the dirt. Dubmith was kneeling beside her, fingers pressed to the side of Sizet’s neck. With Mori’s support, Hathur managed to limp over to the pair, heart hammering painfully in her chest.

Dubmith must have seen the question on Hathur’s face before it was asked, for her features tightened and she made a grim shake of her head.

“Sizet…” Hathur whispered to herself. It felt almost unreal to see her like this, the smirking, light-hearted entertainer of the castle’s militia now silent and still on the bloodied grass. Three good friends, now, she had lost to the depredations of the living dead, and all in one day. “…Rest well, my friend, and may the Light welcome you home.”

She reached out with a shaking hand to close her friend’s eyes.

And then, impossibly, the axewoman’s bleeding body twitched. One glassy eye snapped into focus, the whites stained almost completely red by some internal rupture. It flickered across the gathered warriors. Blood bubbled up from her throat as she tried to speak, breaking off into a sickly, wet cough that sprayed scarlet spittle across the dirt around her.

“Blood of the gods!” Dubmith gasped. Almost instinctually, her hands snapped to the pouch containing her medicinal tools. “Lord Gasin! Thadar! I need help over here!”

The courtyard of castle Channeltwigs was an inferno. A pyre burned in the flat space before the keep, filing the air with the noxious scent of cremation and burnt fabric. Well over a dozen good men and women had fallen to the depredations of the undead horde this day, half of them to the horror of the Blight, and the survivors had chosen to honour them in the only way they could.

The survivors of the thralls’ assault had gathered in a rough circle around the pyre, watching in silence as the fire consumed the visceral evidence of the bloody siege. Dubmith was absent, currently ensconced within the keep as she sought to ensure the survival of the terribly wounded axewoman; any effort to enter had been rebuffed sharply by the scarred, vicious figure of Thadar, who stood guard beside the iron-studded doors. Gasin was standing with the group, though his features were lined with pain as the gesture tugged the stitched wound in his side; the phial of murky liquid he had downed seemed to do little to dull the sensations.

The silence was broken as Dubmith emerged from the keep, plodding across the grass toward the great pyre. Her face was lined with exertion and her arms covered to the elbow in blood, but she bore a triumphant light in her eye as she and Thadar drew up beside the pyre.

“She’s stable,” Dubmith wheezed, her voice barely above a hoarse whisper. She tossed a scrap of blood-soaked cloth into the fire, watching with a half-unfocused eye as it caught light and twisted in the heat. “Weak, but stable. The Fields may be fighting for her soul, but she’s fighting them every step of the way.”

“Thank the gods.” Hathur murmured, letting out a breath she wasn’t aware she’d been holding in, almost sinking to her knees in relief. Despite everything they had lost, she wouldn’t have to bury another of her friends today; as little of a comfort as that was, it was all she could bring to mind. Mori rested her hand awkwardly on her shoulder - what passed for a comforting motion for the dour, hard-faced hammerwoman – before turning to face the new arrivals.

“Much as I respect you for saving our lives,” Mori intoned, staring Gasin and his comrades down across the pyre with something between wariness and hostility. “You are yet to speak of why you came to this forsaken place.”

“We were sent by the Law-Giver to investigate rumours of a Blight resurgent.” Thadar growled, carefully drawing a whetstone across her axe’s blade with every few words. “We found it. What more d’you need to know?”

“Eloquent as ever, Thadar,” Dubmith rolled her eyes, shaking her head in annoyance at her comrade’s blunt ways. She turned to face Mori, voice taking on an almost conciliatory tone. “The Law-Giver received word from the southwest hamlets – tales of foul occurrences and unexplained deaths, travellers going missing and people vanishing in the night. He feared it might be the work of a Blight-spreading creature, and so we were sent to investigate.”

“Nigh upon a century since the Blight began, and still the wounds it has wrought fester.” Gasin mused, rising from his position beside the fire, pacing about before his fellows. His shadow flickered and shifted in the pyre-light, casting jittery knife-slashes around them “But now – now, we might just be able to remove its source.”

“Its source!” One of the younger soldiers cried, her temper finally reaching its limit and her irritation rising in consequence. “What source! What does the man mean?”

“The Sage.” Gasin growled. He paused a moment to spit, as though wishing to clear his mouth of the word’s foul aftertaste. Dubmith and Thadar exchanged equally dark expressions, hands tightening on their weapons at the mention of the name. At the visible confusion on his audience’s faces, the inquisitor hastened to explain. “He’s a sorcerer – a wielder of foul magicks, who defiles the dead to serve his own dark purposes. A traitor, to our Realm and to the Lady of Healing both. And the originator of this accursed Blight.”

That drew the reaction he had hoped for. Hathur was pale with sudden fury or horror; beside her, Luki and Mori looked outright sickened. Dubmith and Thadar, long ago informed of their quarry, seemed relatively unperturbed, though a closer look would reveal the way their fingers had tightened almost painfully around the grips of their weapons. Gasin resumed his pacing before the fire, speaking more quickly now that he had their undivided attention.

“He was a healer, to begin with – a position giving access to the vulnerable and the weak, whom he sought to aid by whatever means were necessary. But as the Silver Plague raged, and the numbers of the dead and the dying rose, he began to despair in the face of his task’s enormity, and a dark seed was planted within his heart. He worked day and night to aid the sick and comfort the dying, burning through remedy after remedy in his desperate search for a panacea to the Plague – and then, on one fateful night, the Plague spread to him.

“Fearing for his life, the Sage abandoned his home and hearth and fled into the great Tundra of Heroes, that he might die alone and spread the Plague no further. He would wander through the snow and ice for days before collapsing, his skin dark with his own blood, his mind wracked with feverish visions. And it was in this madness that dark Powers whispered to him, speaking of futures yet to be and paths that the Sage could yet walk – if only he would drink from their poisoned chalice, and become a servant of pestilence until his last days.”

“A strange and terrible tale indeed,” Mori mused, and then, sharply: “How might you have come to know of it in such detail?”

Gasin smiled once more, but now it seemed hollow and solemn.  “My lady, I once belonged to the same brotherhood as he.” Something flashed over his face, a strange mixture of pain and discomfort clouding his noble features. There had come a darkness about his eyes, and when he spoke again, his voice was surprisingly tremulous. “That we could not turn him from the path of darkness; that he has wrought such terrible chaos… our greatest shames, passed down the years that we might never forget what we failed to prevent – and that we might ensure they are never repeated.”

He ceased his pacing for a moment to stare at them all, the firelight casting rippling shadows across his features. He looked pale, worn, strained by the terrible wound in his side – but his eyes blazed with the force of his determination, and there was an undeniable ferocity in his words. 

“I and my brethren failed the Realm of Silver once. We will not do so again.”

For  a long time, silence reigned among the group. Weary, dark eyes exchanged uncertain glances. At last, though, Mori rose to her feet and strode forward to where Gasin stood silhouetted against the pyre’s flames.

“There is nothing left for me here.” She said, shortly, bowing her head slightly. “I will join your cause, master Crewcanyons, if it will see our Realm restored.”

By way of answer, Gasin drew his sword and planted it point-down into the dirt. He bent to one knee, features barely twitching as a sharp thunderbolt of pain lanced up his injured leg, before placing a palm against the blade and drawing it sharply downwards. Carefully, he raised his bleeding palm aloft, letting a few drops of crimson blood fall from the shallow cut in the skin into the burning pyre as he spoke.

“Until justice has been served unto those responsible for what happened today; until the dead of this place know peace, my cause shall be as yours.” Gasin intoned. The firelight cast rippling shadows across his features, but they were as earnest and firm as ever. “So do I swear, on my life and blood.”

The motion seemed to embolden the others. One by one, each of the castle’s survivors walked forward to join Mori by the pyre and speak with Gasin, the nobleman sealing each pact with a single drop of his own blood. Once the last of them was finished and the small cut closed, he returned to his position beside Dubmith and Thadar, weary eyes gazing across the group as the former began to bind the cut in his hand, grumbling under her breath as she went.

“We can do no more tonight.” Gasin murmured, staring into the flames with his liquid black eyes. “Rest, my comrades. We begin early tomorrow – we must continue on this trail before it grows cold.”

“And what of you, lord Crewcanyons?”

“I will take first watch.” He shook his head, staring off into the distance with a dark eye. Though his countenance had scarcely changed, the look in his eyes belied the troubled thoughts behind them. “The night holds no comfort for me.”
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: January 15, 2023, 05:17:11 pm »

I think what I love most about the tension in your entry QD is

Also a SPEARMASTER? I fought a professional surgeon who had dual knives and he cut off half my extremities before I finally overcame him!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: January 15, 2023, 05:34:24 pm »

I think what I love most about the tension in your entry QD is

That was the sort of atmosphere I was aiming for in that entry, so I'm glad I managed to do it right! Thought it was a bit long, but I suppose it worked out pretty well.

Also a SPEARMASTER? I fought a professional surgeon who had dual knives and he cut off half my extremities before I finally overcame him!
Yeah, that spearmaster was nasty (as in, "nearly caused a TPK" nasty) in the original fight - pretty sure it would've wiped the surviving guys there if it'd been left there. That professional surgeon sounds like it was quite the scary opponent as well, if it was tearing your guy up through armor with nothing but knives.

(Also, I must thank you. That line about the surgeon is giving me ideas for my current turn's character.)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: January 16, 2023, 06:06:54 am »

Entry Three
Maloy arrived in Homeagemoons. The Western most village surrounding Incenseorder's domain. He went door to door searching for survivors and found thralls instead. He knew every single one. He knew every member of the village by name and they had known his and they were all thralls now.

He fought viciously, but not nearly as much as those victims of the blight. His new skill with blade, shield and armor covered the distance of sheer willpower though and he was able to kill each victim after fighting for some time with each. Except for one: The Thresher Alath.
Undeath had made him something to be reckoned with as he danced and swung around at Maloy. His twin daggers gleaming. One was gem and the other was metal and every village had knives like this.

Alath would punch Maloy into a wall or force him to roll out of the way of blows that went around his shield. "Can you not even kill a peasant zombie?" The ear cried in disdain.
Maloy grit his teeth "You know Alath I didn't think it was possible for you to get any uglier or more hideous to look at so could you just die already so I can stop looking at you?"
The creature didn't respond, but bolted swinging fists. Maloy parried both and sliced it's chest, but only managed to cut his clothes open. Alath's second swing with his knife took off Maloy's nose and the wolf-man screamed as blood spurted from his face.
He was angry. His dreams had gone up in flames and were smoldering here before him with the ruins of this village and this enemy was a continuous reminder of loss.
"Alath where's that pig-faced wife of yours at these days anyway?"
The creature crooked it's head slightly and then bolted forth again and they exchanged blows and another shallow blow was dealt to the thrall's chest, but a fist took out Maloy's teeth.
It seemed like he was getting a reaction out of the monster. The blight didn't seem to remove all intelligence just corrupted it entirely "He's opening himself up more. Keep getting him angry" His ear-coach advised. "I don't care if he's angry I just want him to know how much of an improvement this is for him" Maloy responded

"I bet you killed that pig-face wife of yours, didn't you, Alath? Probably couldn't wait you worthless muck-eating murderer" Maloy laughed at him. The thrall screamed and charged at Maloy. It sliced with the metal knife and cut Maloy's tongue out as he laughed and slammed him into the wall of the shack. It descended immediately to deliver a killing blow. Maloy would've roared in rage if not doing his utmost to not choke on the blood pouring from his mouth, but he swung his sword with all his might. Alath's chest was cloven asunder.

His face was in agony as Maloy stumbled out of the house. He was cursed by Mirding the goddess of Misery, torture and valor. He would regenerate in time and regain his parts. It was agony to have your body broken over and over, but return to normal. He saw a statue in town of himself. It was Mirding cursing him to his beastial form. How had it gotten here? Did the goddess have worshipers still in this land? He had done his best to cover the news of the tale up, but the goddess seemed intent on making sure his suffering was total.

To finish Homeagemoons he went and found the religious brotherhood that ruled it. Worshipers of the trade god and dressed much more gaudily than a normal monk. The last surviving monk was being chased and beaten by the two blighted ones. Maloy saved him and killed the others. His response was to spit at Maloy and curse his name "Why did you kill my friends?! What if they could have been saved? What if we could have restrained them? Everyone will know you for what you are, murderer!"

"He will destroy what little image we have left if we let him leave" The ear whispered. "I heard it's hard to tell the infected from regular people when they first turn. They get real aggressive, but that's it" Maloy responded mentally
The ear sensed where he was going with the line of thought "Yes, you're right and this one is particularly aggressive isn't he?" The monk looked nervous as well as angry now "Are you going to say anything?"

Maloy piled all the bodies in Homeagemoons up including the entire religious brotherhood and burned them. The brotherhood was a good source of income it was sad that there were no survivors there, but one villager still lived in Homeagemoons. The village was now under Maloy's personal rulership and administration.

MEANWHILE
The dragon was dead, but Mirai picked up something new on the wind.
"We need to leave soon." Mirai called to Arthur
"But the dwarves are nearby we need to look for the corpse!"
"We follow another lead. Whatever is nearby will make this thing look pleasant and easy"
They found a weathered and beaten wagon nearby and used rope to load the body up before continuing.

Some weeks ago they had successfully come to the Shelter of Adventures, but the one very menacing looking human explained to them that the last dead dwarf there had been raised and led away long ago. He spoke of a place called Eldergraves that happened to be in the Merged Jungles where Maloy had sent them. Just how did that wolf know where these things would be?

The tower of Eldergraves was menacing and they only found one resident: A strange and old looking man
Arthur recited the words he left with them as they went due south
"Seek the great dwarf bralbaard, do you? Two places you must go. One where you have never tread and one where you have already been. Far far south past the coast, turning east and the north of the great desert is Falsetower. You will find part of what you seek and something that you do not know you need. Then north far far north. East of the Shelter of Adventures is Herograves where a powerful enchantment hides great treasures. Go due south and do not tarry to the west at all until you reach the coast."

They spent many days searching for it. Mirai and Arthur often went off alone to hunt and their arguments were non-existent now.
Finally they could see the great base of a stone structure in the distance and the two elves picked up the scent of a dwarf whom they found in the forest just out of the settlement.
"Hail and well met noble dwarf!" Arthur called
The dwarf turned. His face was covered with a bronze mask and he immediately dashed towards them all and attacked with frightening speed and power. The dwarf successfully fought all five of them. He would parry Arthur's spear and deliver a crippling punch one direction and spin and beat someone else. He parried Arthur's spear once more and punched Uvash in the throat so hard his throat was cloven asunder. Uvash dropped his great axe and the dwarf picked it up spinning, swinging and punching. Arthur jumped out of the way. The dwarf ran after the crossbow woman Pode and swung the axe again and again cutting a major gash in her thigh. She finished reloading just as the dwarf brought the axe above his head and swung again. The bolt flew true and went straight to the dwarf's brain and he slumped over.
The party rested in the trees to bandage wounds. The dwarf had been a type of intelligent undead. Likely this whole fortress was filled with hostile guardians. What were they protecting that was so important? What was Arthur and Mirai looking for in truth?
Arthur considered dragging the dwarf to the settlement for his fellows to find, but Uvash couldn't be saved and suffocated. He left both there in the forest just south-east of the fortress for nature or the guardians to tend to.

They snuck in and relied on their tracking skills to avoid the dwarves. Multiple times they actually saw dwarves and crept around them. The tower seemed the obvious entrance, but Mirai signaled and pointed towards an unnatural looking cave west of it. That was likely the service entrance for workers. They found the entire service entrance covered in traps.
The clumsy humans could not safely navigate this and didn't even see the traps until it was pointed out. Arthur instructed them to wait by this entrance. If the elves ran into trouble in the fort they would die without support, but it was a risk that had to be taken.

They crept forward through the tunnels as daylight faded. Fungus and mud had to be navigated carefully to avoid loud squelching sounds. The darkness was uncomfortable. These two children of the forests were entirely out of their element. They found the staircase leading down, but at it's top rested something strange.
An axe discarded and left at the top as if it didn't have a proper place in an armory. The axe was good quality dwarven iron, but neither elves used axes and so would have left it, but something about the axe deeply called to Arthur. Recalling the old man's words he heeded caution and took the axe and placed it in his bag.

The longer they were here the more they saw of debris, scattered treasures and bodies. What happened here? It looked as if a great battle had happened. Perhaps the guardians are the only survivors? Or perhaps a defense system gone wrong? Or right?

They found a cavern like set of tunnels and in each was placed a wooden casket with names. This confirmed that something had happened as dwarves would make a cemetery much more ornate. They picked through the tunnels and found the casket named for Bralbaard. He opened it and it was...empty. A large wooden casket with nothing in it, except for a small tooth at the bottom barely visible to the elves non-cave adapted eyes.
This was frustrating, but they were both too scared to tarry long and decided to leave with what little acquisition they had. As they reached the staircase Arthur stepped out and a couple of flights above them was a guardian

Mirai grabbed Arthur and yanked him back. The elves waited quietly in terror. If the dwarf saw them it would have no trouble ending them both. Arthur fearing the end turned towards Mirai and kissed her. Through what dim light there was she mouthed the words "Now?!" Arthur shrugged. After a few minutes they heard footsteps ascending the stairs. The dwarf was likely still in their way, but how long before someone came to patrol this graveyard? They had to risk it and hope the dwarf turned down one of the side passages on the way to the surface.
They crept back up and found the situation more grim. A second guardian was on the staircase. Both were heading to the surface.

The elves hugged a wall and waited. The dwarves left and went down the mud tunnel where the human warriors had been left. Both were shocked completely when they also left the tunnel and found both humans alive and well!
Pode had pretended to be another body on the floor of the tunnel and and Uja had ran out and waited on the hill above it.

They left quietly, but all more than eager to escape when coming from the exact direction they were going was another guardian. It saw them. It's entrails dragging behind it as it fought them relentlessly.

The battle was fierce and Mirai was savaged and almost killed before Arthur planted his spear through the dwarf's skull ending it. They fled quietly.

For a time they could smell dwarves in pursuit, but the guardians eventually gave up the chase to return to their duties.

OOC:

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: January 17, 2023, 09:46:10 am »

I don't believe anyone among us eclipses your detail writing QD. The battle scene was incredibly articulate, masterful as always.

'Midst the darkness below the keep of Silverthrone, the old Law-Giver led the march, his two oldest children closely behind. Neither Rimtil nor Irka uttered a word, for they did not know what they were heading towards. An uneasiness had befallen them despite the safety of their home, little more than the continuous clack of their heels against stone and the flicker of their father's torch comforted them. Jas halted at some arbitrary place, he affixed the torch to an empty sconce and took hold of another, with a quick pull, the wall-mount came forth, and so too did a rumble. The wall ahead shook, dust sifted down from the low ceiling obscuring the shifting brick and mortar, in moments the stone all but ground away, leaving an opening to small alcove to the heirs' widening eyes.

A loathsome thing there huddled, idly picking away at a crack in the cobbles of their dingy cell, the likes of which lacked any furnishings save for a squat bed. The thing was skeletal, yet broad ever still, a ragged beard descended from its gnarled chin, and its gangly limbs were held close to its body. Even now the siblings were stunned, they simply could not see why their father had brought them before this begotten prisoner, nor why its cell had been hidden so. Jas at last brought the light of flame to bear, searing the pale eyes of the creature within, which in turn twisted itself eerily their way. With a grin ear-to-ear, the prisoner spoke in a guttural tone, words incomprehensible to the heirs.

"Father. . . What is this?" Irka at last questioned, his words almost accusatory.

Jas raises his chin, gazing downward at the being. "It was a thief, once." He replied, "In the Dwarfen tongue it spoke, something to the effect of, 'Finally, fresh flesh to flay.' At least, I think."

Rimtil bears a worrisome countenance unbefitting of her, "Why have we imprisoned a clearly mad dwarf below the castle?" She asks, wholly justified in her line of thinking.

"Oh no, they're quite sane, I believe." The Law-Maker replied, switching his tongue to that of a low-rumble he speaks a few words to the being before turning back to his children, "There you see, I've asked it who I am -- 'Jas Gloryage, 23rd Law-Giver of Omon Obin, of course.'" Jas continues, realizing that they'd require a bit more explaining. "About forty years ago now this particular tragedy struck. . . As winter was at its height that year, I found myself in the snowdrifts before Silverthrone, speaking with the late Eman, rest his soul. Twas a peculiarly foggy day, the mist hanging low above the half-frozen river. There from the swirling fog beyond the castle walls a figure emerged, saddled atop a great steed and marked by their emerald eyes and locks of jet-black that fell from their head. Kothvir Shadowstar the Black Raven or so the man introduced himself, for me he was effusive with praise despite our meeting just, and countless gifts he showered me with. This Kothvir came from the High Confederacies to the north, and sought to quell the Blight, for it had struck there as well. . . It has been long since I have heard news of the north, I pray that valiant warrior was successful indeed."

Both Irka and Rimtil gazed on, watching their father swim in little-thought on memories, as did the dwarfen prisoner who had not blinked even a moment. Jas continued, "One such gift that the Black Raven bequeathed to us was a great slab of blackened rock, a curious artefact draped ever in a shroud. It seemed that a group of the dwarves that yet lived in Silverthrone coveted the thing, they seemed to have a knowledge of it or perhaps it merely struck their fancy. Whatever the case, soon after we interred the thing in our vault, they moved to action, but the thieves did not get far before they were irrevocably changed. . ."

Suddenly the prisoner snapped, throwing out dwarfish insults with abandon, yet was held back by the old-king's flame. Taking in a deep breath, Rimtil asks, "Well what did they say?"

"Er. . . Its asking for food, mostly. I suppose that makes sense given that it hasn't eaten in forty years." The elder let out a harrumph, beaming a glare at the disgruntled prisoner.

"Forty years? How could that be? Nothing could survive so long without sustenance." Irka correctly identified, certainly suspicious of his father's statements.

Jas nods, yet his face is solemn, "Without a doubt my boy. Anything living could not survive, but this thing? It does not live."

"What do you imply?" Irka responded, an eyebrow raised.

The law-giver merely sighs before snapping back, "You know damn well what I imply child, this thing is no more living than the filth it wallows in. It is enraptured in some kind of false-life, some mockery, the passage of time is irrelevant to it." Jas nearly bites his tongue, his fervor getting the better of him as he considers his life-long confidant and advisor who shares a similar fate.

"Some rock did this?" Rimtil questions, but is met with silence, and soon after the sliding of stone against stone once more. The old man gestures for the pair to follow him once more, deeper and deeper still.

Each step drew them closer, colder and colder the air became as they moved. Each step made clear the beating of their hearts faster and faster, telling them to begone from this place until before them was a great shroud. Upon a dais the slab stood tall, only one surface of which could be seen, a rough texture yet unmarred by wear,  and unknown to the ignorant they - hewn by the gods.

"Keeping an old invalid waiting. . . Shame on thee." The Royal Chamberlain's voice emerged from the deepest shadows of the vault, though the trio's dourness had warded them from the shock of exceedingly rare levity from the almost-fully paralyzed Galka Kindrummed.

"Master Galka." The old Law-Giver bowed his head in respect, as did his two children.

Without raising his gaze from the floor, Irka spoke, "Are our lives not in danger in the presence of this thing?"

"Thy mortality?" Galka replies, laying propped against a wall. "Not as such, an inscription of some length lay on the opposite side, that is where the bleak magic of the thing resides. Though it cannot be guaranteed that its presence alone will not have deleterious affects on thy mind."

Jas speaks again "Those who partake of that inscription are twisted, the life exhumed from their bodies, replace by some dark and wretched otherness. With a gesture and a thought they can raise the dead from their graves to do their bidding, need not drink, they need not eat, neither exhaustion or drowsiness can stay their hands. It would not shock me  if they did not even have need of breath." A scowl grew on the Law-Givers face as his raised Irka's chin with a knuckle, "Worst yet of all, should they will it, the dark hands of the slab may curse living men into slavering hungry beasts that desire only to sink their teeth into flesh and propagate their kind."

Rimtil gasps, "You don't mean. . . This thing?"

"Tis the origin of the Blight." Irka completes his sister's thought.

"My son, you once asked me as tiny lad if the Obin Blight was punishment from on high. . . Nay, tis the hubris of men cut from no different a cloth than you or I whom wrought these plagues upon Orid Xem." Jas places a hand upon his son's shoulder to steady him.

Galka continues, "Men are born to live and die, it is the way of things, it is the cycle. To pervert it is a grave sin that not only corrupts the sinner's own heart, but the lives of all other common folk. Perhaps you have heard apocryphal legends of a great war that drew in much of the land - a battle of shadow and light. In my time spent 'midst dwarfen holds I've found there to be some truth to it, over eight hundred years ago a cabal of rogues were some of the first to fall to this magic, even now we feel the shock-waves of those events - The very Blight we have fought tooth and nail against is merely a side-effect of those times."

At first Rimtil is stupefied and then anger builds on her brow, "How could you?" she bellows. "You keep such a vile thing here where my children live! Why have you not destroyed it!?" Irka solemnly nods along with his sister"s exclamation.

"Of course we have tried!" Jas responds in kind "The thing resists all blows, great heat, and the erosion of water - nothing leaves its mark. But there is perhaps a hope -"

"In the abandoned Dwarfen fortress of Relicward, far North-west of Omon Obin I once found myself. . ." Galka does his best with those shattered limbs, raising himself up against the wall. "The Dwarfs there had delved so deeply and so completely that they had breached another world entirely. There before me a chasm stretched unlike any other, 'twas no mere descent, but oblivion itself. A place that nothing can return from!"

A moment of silence comes between the four. Irka then breaks it, "So the duty then falls to us, once more. . ."

"My son." Jas grips the young man's shoulder tight, "I haven't many years left you know. And Master Galka can barely move. . ." He then puts his remaining hadn upon his daughter, bringing the two of them together, "You are the stewards of Omon Obin, though you did not choose this life, it is the one you are given. We must do all that we can with these lives, too many go wasted." He sighs, bringing his forehead to theirs. "Time passes so quickly, and we lose sight of the important things. I am sorry, this is the last thing I ask of you as your father. . ."

"It must be done." Rimtil agrees without delay.

"Yes. . . An end to this madness." Murmurs Irka.

"This will be no end." The Chamberlain's words drip with venom, "This is only the beginning I'm afraid. I have delved the most secret of libraries - this is not one of a kind, but rather it is part of a set. Either eleven or twelve more slabs much like the one before us exist in this world, perhaps even others. This is not a battle that we alone can win, thou must keep the flame alive and hand thy torch to thy progeny. . ."

"This is the fate of Gloryage blood."
I've lost control of my life.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: January 17, 2023, 03:20:51 pm »

Great writeups as ever, both of you. Unraveller, I particularly like the tone crafted in that last chapter and love the implication of that last line, considering the picture LV paints of the Gloryage children. It'll certainly be interesting to see how things develop from this point...

I've also noticed that the graphics for the save seem to have gone a little wonky. (Goblins going from 'g' tiles to 'ù', wall tiles changing colours and symbols, etc.) Anyone know what's up with that and how to fix it?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: January 17, 2023, 04:13:00 pm »

Usually that happens when someone has altered the raws by using a graphic set, but has not brought it back to it's original state before uploading.
This makes it look broken for everyone without the same graphics set.
There are probably online instructions for the specific files that need to be changed, but using the blunt method of replacing the whole raws with a recent working version should also correct the problem (but make a backup, before messing with this)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:14:45 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 263