Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409650 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3075 on: April 10, 2023, 09:37:48 am »

I respect the patience to manage Moldath in fort mode to prevent your fort from getting wiped out lol

Also on the elven triplets I had to do some dfhack and inserting a new script to make them have kids.

Despite making sure they were heterosexual and married no amount of sleeping together was producing children(I think they have the sterile tag) so I got in touch with unraveller and got it figured

But making those two eventually have children was one of my original goals for them. I noticed that Cacame worship is slowly dying out and most new elves or hands of planesgifts are just irreligious in general and so I wanted to preserve it

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: April 10, 2023, 01:40:50 pm »

What year are we at?

Did we reach 1000 yet?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: April 10, 2023, 01:48:39 pm »

I believe from the last save 972. Not sure how many years Kesperan has played yet.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: April 11, 2023, 07:12:16 pm »

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work.

Will get the save up tomorrow.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: April 12, 2023, 10:33:55 am »

Magna exspectatione expecto.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: April 12, 2023, 05:46:40 pm »

My apologies for the delay.

Here is the save, archived with "best" on WinRAR, uncompressed saves turned on, file size 466Mb extracting to ~3.37Gb.

The default RAWs are in place, with the outsider tag added to Dwarf and Kobold.

Good luck with your turn Sockmit2007!

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16572

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: April 12, 2023, 05:56:55 pm »

I shall attempt to weave a story, and hopefully, it shall be satisfactory.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: April 13, 2023, 06:26:05 am »

Part 5 - Finale
Epilogue

Arthur went on to spend some weeks west of the border lands fighting blight outbreaks. Following this he led groups of refugees into abandoned settlements along the trade route between Incenseorder and Razorbridge. He gave many titles of lordship away although many of these lords would abandon these groups in favor of founding their own that would rule the lands.
These erstwhile lords would be known as border princes. Some would join with the goblins of the Most Sin and rule for them while others would be backed by different human or dwarven governments and attempt to hold their claim.
The lands Arthur fought for fell into petty infighting that would last a lifetime, and while not the ending he sought he at the very least brought much more security to the region as governments that wanted nothing to do with the region previously fought to ensure the survival of the new border princes to ensure the safety of their own lands.
People living in this region recalled an ancient period of time where no power held sway and anything could go. Some in the border lands would begin to refer to things simply as Slazatu which in modern phrasing was often used to indicate that the speaker had no clue how things would turn out.
This was a harsh land, but one where you could make your own fate... Slazatu

The dwarves of Razorbridge made an artifact to commemorate the original building of Razorbridge and gifted it to Arthur to thank him and his companions for all they did for the dwarves. Arthur considered this a more than worthy gift to the museum

Upon his final return to Razorbridges he found that a large chunk of the population had gone missing. The wolf lord had arrived and taken them to their new homes in his domain. The cemetery was also missing a large amount of its bodies.

Miara had also disappeared although her children remained at Razorbridge. Dwarves saw her heading north although no one knew why.
Soon the huntress would rise...

OOC:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: April 13, 2023, 06:45:45 am »

What a really nice write up Maloy. You’ve done a great job with that map!

I travelled through New Razorbridge on my adventure. I’ll need to start writing from all my notes and get a story up soon.

Can I be added to the turn lost again please?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: April 13, 2023, 09:24:01 am »

"Tirin I", Prologue, Turn 110

Prologue: Baron Bembul and the Ballad of the Belarded.

Things were going as well as they had for many decades, thought Baron Bembul Whipseason of Keyconjure. The being known as Moldath Mournsaints was a complicated character, not of this world, not really a dwarf. The Rot that had plagued him for two centuries was now working more in harmony with his other fractured fragments in as much was possible for a death magic psychic construct, and together they had settled into a nice routine. For thirty years he had resided at The Eternal Citadel in a spectacular living complex with a temple dedicated to the Lord of Blight, Ala. 

The Rot itself seemed quiet, dormant even. There were no roiling clouds of miasma and he hadn’t needed a trip to the legendary surgeons in many years. Part of this was due to his habit of very, very rarely leaving his marble sepulchure. The feeling of safety that Moldath/Bembul gained from this solemn sanctum was more directed at... the other dwarves, safe from the primal urges of his vampire personality. 

One fly in the ointment, a splinter in his rotten mind, was the fate of his illegitimate bastard son, Stukos Orbshaken.

Moldath couldn’t really remember why he had so desired to have a son. Perhaps some way of feeling like a real dwarf? Someone to carry on his legacy.

Regardless it was clear that Stukos was a massive disappointment.

Stukos was 29 years old, enormously obese, and rolled around the fortress aimlessly with a glazed expression on his face. It was a poorly kept secret that he was the child of the Baron and that afforded him the luxury of no shifts in the smelting halls or glass furnaces, or hauling gorlak corpses, or the thousand other jobs that kept The Eternal Citadel thrumming away.

In fact, he had not gained a single scrap of skill in all of his life. 29 years of supping on apricot wine and devouring masterwork ☼grizzly bear heart roasts☼ had produced a spectacularly corpulent frame. 

The other dwarves giggled as he wheezed slowly past them on his way to the Inn.

Moldath knew that someone had to whip his boy into shape, but he was reluctant for that person to be him. He would devise a plan.

He sent words and rumours to various agents around the world in the hope of ensnaring some poor adventurer to come to the Citadel and take Stukos under his wing. 

Soon enough, his plan started to reap benefits, as he received word from an elf chieftess in the far north that some bumbling idiot had been convinced to steal from his personal vault in Northmanor. 

Moldath grinned a long-toothed grin. Leverage.   

OOC:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:11:47 pm by kesperan »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: April 13, 2023, 11:15:50 am »

Interesting, looked at legends so i was curious on what you were up to. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Also the description of Stukos within the story just made me picture this.
Stukos vs goblins
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: April 13, 2023, 11:38:30 am »

A Hand of Plaguegifts shakes for but a second, before a mind as old as the world itself takes command of their body, Zorark, the kobold Myugaur of old, has returned, and with that, the dead stir, for the echoes of old are returning, and they shall take what is due.

Excerpt from Reflections of a Myugaur, written by the insane scholar in 10.
Beware the Myugaur, translated to the common tongue Mind Eater, a type of undead that upon their creation removes their living self from reality, erasing everything they did and having them completely forgotten. Myugaurs are not the most powerful of undead, they are unable to affect reality in any way, except for their most dangerous trait, possession. A Myugaur can possess any entity, leaving the entity’s mind under the Myugaurs’ control, the Myugaur is subject to the needs of the entity's body, and upon the death of the entity the Myugaur returns to its ethereal form.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: April 13, 2023, 12:13:32 pm »

It would appear that my adventures have had some repercussions on the race/civ combinations which can be selected at character creation.

You can no longer play as an Elf from Mong Uthros, and no longer play as a goblin from Ribiromini, or of any kind for that matter. The reasons for this are not exactly clear. My adventures did involve both of these civilisations but these were unanticipated results for which I apologise.

It is easy enough to enable Elf and Goblin outsiders as a workaround if this change affects anyone's future plans.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: April 13, 2023, 12:33:16 pm »

It would appear that my adventures have had some repercussions on the race/civ combinations which can be selected at character creation.

You can no longer play as an Elf from Mong Uthros, and no longer play as a goblin from Ribiromini, or of any kind for that matter. The reasons for this are not exactly clear. My adventures did involve both of these civilisations but these were unanticipated results for which I apologise.

It is easy enough to enable Elf and Goblin outsiders as a workaround if this change affects anyone's future plans.

The same thing happened earlier with dwarves, if I recall correctly. Probably some weird effect of the age of this world, and the original historical figures dying out.

It seems young Stukos has a long way to go to live up to his legacy  :).
Definitely an unexpected but fun twist, I wonder what his future will be. 

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: April 13, 2023, 01:09:46 pm »

"His once thin frame is now belarded."
I've never seen a physical description like this before.

I've given it some though, and I'm very torn on what I should go for on my turn next week.

It seems like most of the artifacts in the museum are not actual historical artifacts, but are instead comprised largely of strange non-artifact items of immense novelty, corpse parts in particular. The eyes of a cave dragon, and the undead sea serpent corpse Yarlig brought in, as examples. Like, I've searched before, and I have never found anything of interest in the sea while in adv-mode. Like, Captain Ahab doesn't have shit on Yarlig.

Tracking down actual artifacts seems a reasonable enough thing to do. But I keep wanting to make something really strange for the museum via a combination of adv-mode and fort mode involving both a macabre mood and a primary regent of a certain demon's bones, which possess a unique, and very hot, fixed mat temperature.

The ideal artifact would be a warhammer, I think, which is made from this demon's bones which are as hot as magma. Additionally, for decorations, it'll be covered in something strange and exotic like bands of demon rat skin, or spikes of pixie bone, and perhaps maybe like diamond cut bituminous coal cabochons. Decorations aren't considered and tracked by the game engine, so the coal won't just spontaneously ignite and continue to be perpetually on fire, but it's fun to imagine.

Sadly, considering the poor frame-rate I'd have to trudge through, and just how difficult macabre moods are to trigger, and thus likely requiring to have to run a fort into the ground for at least a minimum 6 years, I'd be looking at spending the majority of my turn cultivating an artifact rather than searching for one, just so my actual reported turn as a mailman adventurer can be to walk over and deliver the artifact, rather than roaming around as adventurer and questing for one. Although, the acquisition of the demon bones could certainly be notable. This approach largely seems to defeat the whole point of a turn on this save though.

I should probably just scrap the idea of making an artifact and come up with a single quest to go on instead.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:56:45 pm by dikbutdagrate »
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 263