Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409465 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3165 on: April 25, 2023, 03:53:45 pm »

My offer to act as a NPC vendor for item grafting still stands.
1 honey = 1 item + 1 body part.
You wanna have tree frogs for eyes? Sure! 2 Honeys plz, and done.
Become Tetsuo, the Iron Man today!

Interesting. I've added it to the missions section in the post with maps and site information. The map is also updated. I've also added you for a new turn. I guess you'll have to take one if the orders start coming in.

Regarding the character multiplication thing. I'm very aware that my own character in game is the result of such shenanigans as well, seeing as I've grown from the right hand of my former self (with the left hand of my right hand being an actual museum submission). There was no were beast state involved however, and as far as I know it has not caused crashes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 03:56:26 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 25, 2023, 06:09:30 pm »

It might be because it was named and thus became a historical figure?

I'm just imagining some bleak future centuries after his death where all that's left of the wolf-man isn't even a name. Just a roaming horde of zombie wolf heads that are a threat to anyone not competent in dodging or fighting lol
Who could have imagined, that not even the Gods of Death, necromancers, demons or the Thranan blight (turned Omon blight) would scour all life in the world, but the resurrected body parts of werecreatures?

It appears that the corruption is safely contained within The Hungry Aching Woods.
And I am increasingly enamored by this idea. I say, leave it as is.   
That's how I'm debating with the corruption in Iroram. Bar an army wiping out all inhabitants, Adilatír eventually calling all inhabitants as Barons to the capital or Ulet deciding to leave, the fortress will remain active (but unvisitable) until the end of time. With Ulet there as the only living chosen necromancer remaining in the world, Fazisrith will rule forevermore. Of course, I'd like to continue to play that fort, so I hope some way of fixing it is found some day, but I like the protection it gives to Ulet and those who decide to remain there, too. Bomrek is also there I think.

Anyone been to Ulosothro and have a reaction to it?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 06:28:34 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 26, 2023, 12:44:01 am »

Being the former capital of Omon Obin for a while. I'll definitely check it out next turn! Gotta actually write my damn story first though. . . Someone kick my ass into gear, lol.
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 26, 2023, 04:37:08 am »

"Tirin I", Part II, Turn 110

The Travails of Tirin Nightwhisper, Part II: The Heart of the Forest

26th Hematite 972

I arrive at the foothills of the Fingers of Affliction, where a small river winds its way from the foul mountains. There is a fort here, Northmanor, according to my sources. Perhaps this is where I will find The Scholarly Scorn? There are a few nervous dwarves near the river. They immediately clam up when I ask about The Sholarly Scorn. One eyes the tower nervously, as if fearing retribution from some unseen source. They whisper of an otherworldly entity, a cult which sprung up intent on unleashing some untold evil. The cult is all but gone now, and few dwarves remain in this mostly empty fort. I scour the fort and find some masterfully worked steel armour emblazoned with the emblem of The Walled Dye, and a replacement steel sword in the forgehalls. The fort is eerily quiet. On a hunch I decide to explore the tower jutting from the central building.

The tower itself leads to a gold portal, behind which a thin well constructed spire reaches skyward. Travelling along a narrow walkway, I arrive at a chamber hewn from rock and adorned with golden pedestals. All sorts of treasures, trinkets and artifacts abound here - the teeth and skulls of enormous hideous beasts, magical weapons heavy with the weight of history. Finally.. I find it! It is here after all! The Scholarly Scorn is a rather simple gold-encrusted zinc figurine of Vabok Glazeddoors, an ancient king of the Walled Dye. Why an elf princess would want such an esoteric object is beyond me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I quickly stow it in my pack, and almost feel an icy breeze and the reek of miasma. The hairs on my neck stand at attention. A chill trickles down my spine and I have a sudden urge to be as far away from this place as I possibly can. I make haste out of the fort the same way I entered, and the dwavres eye me with great suspicion, whispering among themselves.

27th Hematite 972

I begin the trek north east, to the elven lands. I anticipate some hostility. It is long since my ancestors left these forests and tensions remain high between the elves and the humans of the Uthrosi. I stop at another dwarvish fort, Balancehammer, which is on path eastwards. The sturdy basalt structure curves with the path of a stream, and I struggle at first to find a way inside. I find the skeletons of many beak dogs and goblins - it appears the dwarves here are no stranger to battle. In the fortress proper I find a pedestal struggling under the weight of fantastical items of dwarven craft. A few catch my eye.

The Undignified Tree, a steel great axe emblazoned with imagery of the ascension of the dwarven king Atir Lobsterseals. It menaces with spikes of unnatural bone. My elvish blood prickles at the unsubtle message!

A nickel silver crown filigreed, and sporting blazing fire opals is inscribed Anilvir Adilatir in the crude dwarven runes. It has a menacing aura and I can't help but admire its terrible beauty. I find myself placing it in my pack without a conscious thought.

Tameimpaled, a simple but perfect steel sword studded with masterfully worked steel and copper. I marvel at its purity of form and function. This will be a fine blade, and better use to me than on some dusty pedestal!

28th Hematite 972

I circle the coast and head south east, where the lands of Mong Uthros blend into the forests of the Ribiromini. Small encampments of dwarves dot the landscape, perhaps remnants of Balancehammers expansionist past. I find the Count of Basessparkle, Erush Workedtick, in a small linen hut south of the forest retreat bearing his name. The elves seem to have ousted these dwarves rather quickly.

3rd Malachite 972

The travel northeast is largely uneventful. Many of the forest retreats I discover seem to be abandoned, or the elves are better than my own attempts at stealth. Perhaps they watch me unseen? On the outskirts of Feedforded, I find a small plain tent, and within a goblin criminal! He claims to be a captive of some kind and shouts for help. He is wearing a polar bear leather armour with an image of an urad bean plant... The Most Sin! I manage to interrogate from this prisoner that he is in fact a general of the armies of The Most Sin, and has slain many dwarves in Lashjade, one by the name Feb Priestmirrored. It appears he was imprisoned after a failed attack on Feedforded. He will not tell me his name.

I put these goblin criminals out of their misery - as he falls, Stozu Cruelaching the Grieving Rocks bizarrely brags of his slaughter of a camel. It does not inspire fear, and Tameimpaled takes his skull. A short distance north I find his compatriot, Snamoz Chantedwitch. Of their captors there is no sign. He dies a cowards death.

4th Malachite 972

I stumble upon the dwarven fort of Lashjade. It is largely deserted, an ancient crumbling ruin. Its confusing labyrinthine corridors yield no treasure or useful armour. I do cook some dingo meat in the kitchens there, and dispatch a few goblin and human looters. The local militia commander thanks me for my service.

5th Malachite 972

The ancient fort of Splashbeige was long a source of knowledge and learning. The chieftess Afe Sparkledfill gathered many books here, before deserting in strange circumstances, its is she who I last found loitering in a monastery. Many masterful bone crafts of dwarven kings and queens remain here, along with some parchment sheets. I continue north towards the ancient capital, Glacialtempests.

I find the encampment of Eca Dropletwalks, Administrator of The North Wing, regent of the true government of Glacialtempests, to the south of the forest citadel. He is grumpy and taciturn, and states he cannot return to his home. It was sacked by goblins many centuries ago, and the royal family are either puppets of the new government or in thrall to it. He is unsure if the Princess Adela Skirtfords is loyal to the elves or not, or a goblin stooge. He gestures to the corpse of a fallen comrade, slain by a wild-eyed scorpion man. He is distrustful of foreign agents he remarks as he spits on the floor. He tells me Adela Skirtfords resides somewhere in the capital, but few have seen her in many decades. I endeavour to seek her out - surely there must be something I can do to stop all this animosity and bloodshed, and remove the foul goblin cancer?

I arrive at Faithfulcyclone, the featherwood hometree. My grandmother used to talk of such things but her stories do not do it justice. An enormous tree, dangling with egg-like fruits, its branches grasping the sky. I climb the tree in earnest. Atop its branches I find a strange elf by the name of Malduz Gleecaught, reading a selection of books. He barely registers my presence. He is abbot of the Balanced Sect, worshippers of Ala, although claims to be an atheist. He cannot recall ever seeing Adela Skirtfords, or indeed the elusive Queen of the Elves.

I spend many weeks in Glacialtempests and its surrounds, it seems. I search constantly for any sign of the elven rulers. The retreat is an eerily quiet and forboding place, and it reeks of goblins and I dare not rest here. I travel west and find yet more unguarded forst retreats. What is happening in the lands of the Ribiromini?

7th Limestone 972

Finally, I have found it. After a month of searching I spot a tree unlike the others, finally my elvish eyes growing accustomed to my ancestral homelenad. Inscribed on the tree in the elvish script almost impercetably is the word "Plankflowers" - this is the clue I had been searching for for so many weeks. After climbing the tree, I find myself face to face with an ugly goblin cook who introduces himself as Azstrog Raptormenaces.

Behind him is an elf maiden in simple clothing - Princess Adela Skirtfords! She is plump, but not unattractive, and has a youthful glow despite her years. The princess does not on the surface seem at all concerned that there is a goblin in her sacred tree. And one who openly admits to being a member of the Wrath-Spiders of Youth, the goblins who sacked Glacialtempests!

I approach Adela Skirtfords, and she snorts. "Who is this mongrel who desecrates my tree? An elf who speaks with a human tongue, garbed in the uncouth metal of filthy muck-scrabbling dwarves!" she exclaims, gesturing to my dwarven steel. But behind her haughty demeanour I sense an element of fear.

I speak with the princess at length. She seems reluctant to talk in front of the goblin and I sense she is under some duress. I present to her a gift - The Scholarly Scorn - as a token of peace from Mong Uthros. Her countenance changes immediately and she accepts it gladly, and protests that she does not know Azstrog and that her people are at war with The Most Sin. I know what I must do.

The goblin squeals as I silently strangle him. Both Adela and her diplomat seem alarmed but I calmly reassure them I mean them no harm.

I speak with the diplomat Eliye Mobbean and she tells me her first husband was transformed into a ghoul while being rescued from the goblin cave The Brutal Gloom by the infamous Blind Sadist, who then ended his misery. In ages past a kobold group founded a cave, which then fell to the goblin filth. An uprising against the elves lead by a vicious black bear man from The Brutal Gloom tore through the elven lands two hundred years ago, and the battle for that cave still goes on. Some say the spirit of the vengeful bear still roams the woods to the far north... Eliye remarried Lapama Foggygulls, who has laid seige to the cave and its goblin denizens but who has not returned. She is worried he has been captured, or worse.

After a long discussion, I agree to rid the goblin taint from Glacialtempests and assault The Brutal Gloom. I will rescue Lapama if I find him, and remove the goblin menace from this land forever. If I achieve this goal, then perhaps the princess will accept that the Uthrosi mean her no malice. Adela tells me the druid, and indeed the queen, are both goblin sympathisers. They have joined the Wrath-Spiders of Youth who hail from the dank cave known as Shrivelgutters. Nobody has seen the queen in over 150 years, since her coronation after the death of the Dark Queen Vafice Lutecover. Perhaps she resides with the goblins still. I will end this.

The druid Enure Fragrancevine is found in a tree to the south. As predicted by the Princess this goblin sympathiser freely admits to being a criminal, using the alias "Agal Soaredlunch" but claims to be loyal also to the Squeezing Fords. I take no pleasure in this but it has to be done, to free the elves from the yoke of the goblins so we may seek peace. And now I must head to the lair of the Wrath Spiders. I have learned from speaking to the diplomat that the cave named Shrivelgutters lies some distance to the south. I leave the druid's corpse where it lay.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:25:14 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 26, 2023, 04:38:25 am »

Being the former capital of Omon Obin for a while. I'll definitely check it out next turn! Gotta actually write my damn story first though. . . Someone kick my ass into gear, lol.

Kesperan kicks The Unraveller in the ass from behind. It is a glancing blow.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 26, 2023, 12:55:08 pm »

Remind me not to resurrect Maloy if he ever gets himself killed!

That reminds me of something I wanted to try. Chopping off Maloy’s head, resurrecting his corpse and then seeing if it grows a new head when he transforms into a fox.

Infinite wolf man heads! What could possibly go wrong?

Just to clarify, it doesn't cause crashes to resurrect a creature directly. What causes crashes is when a body part gets reanimated as a zombie, transforms due to some other interaction or curse and thus gets a full, complete body, and then gets put down and resurrected as if it were a unique unit (because of it having a full body) even though its just a zombie body part with no soul/hist fig ID of its own. In adventure mode it typically crashes upon trying to speak to them or leave the area (offloading units) whether fast travelling, waiting or walking away from the area. In fort mode I guess it wouldn't matter until retiring/abandoning the fort.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 26, 2023, 09:11:17 pm »

Just to clarify, it doesn't cause crashes to resurrect a creature directly. What causes crashes is when a body part gets reanimated as a zombie, transforms due to some other interaction or curse and thus gets a full, complete body, and then gets put down and resurrected as if it were a unique unit (because of it having a full body) even though its just a zombie body part with no soul/hist fig ID of its own. In adventure mode it typically crashes upon trying to speak to them or leave the area (offloading units) whether fast travelling, waiting or walking away from the area. In fort mode I guess it wouldn't matter until retiring/abandoning the fort.

So thats what it is.

Interesting. I've added it to the missions section in the post with maps and site information. The map is also updated. I've also added you for a new turn. I guess you'll have to take one if the orders start coming in.

Works for me!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 27, 2023, 01:38:56 pm »

"Tirin I", Part III, Turn 110

The Travails of Tirin Nightwhisper: Into Gloom

8th Limestone 972

The travel south east skirting the mountains is largely uneventful. I follow the directions to the goblin cave given by Eliye Mobbean. I know I have arrived at Shrivelgutters when I spot the skeletal remains of a goblin smeared over the ground. This creature has marks of on elvish longsword upon its bones. I hope there are more like him inside for me to test my blade.

I travel down the narrow dank corridors hewn into the cave. I stop and gasp... the first creature I meet is not a goblin, but an elf of regal stature! The Queen? No.. the Acolyte. Lesana Tickdrunken, masquerading as a monster hunter. I offer her the chance to renounce the goblins but she is defiant until the last. I shed a tear as her lifeblood soaks the cavern floor. So it is true. The elvish nobility have aligned themselves with the foul goblins of the Wrath-Spiders of Youth.

In the bowels of the earth I move silently through the narrow pathways in the rock. I slay a handful of squealing cowardly goblins before finding the Queen herself. Adela was right! Like Lesana, Queen Futace refuses to leave this goblin cave, or renounce her membership of the Wrath-Spiders. In a fit of rage I tear out her throat. This is why so many of my people, humans and elves alike have died, for this?

I search for many hours until I finally find Bosa Spiderybrands, the Overlord of the Wrath-Spiders of Youth. I take everything from him. I leave this foul cave and begin the journey south to The Brutal Gloom. If any elven prisoners still live there, I will find them. The travel is as gruelling as it is boring. I bump into two elves in the monastery of Parterveil and they tell me of some dwarven forts to the south.
I continue on my long journey.

13th Limestone 972

Archquakes is a ruined dwarven fort overrun by beasts and trolls. I slay as many of the foul tusked monsters as I can find, and improve my axe skill with the fantastic blue dwarven metal axe. I find no sentient beings here, and no monsters or treasure worth looting. This place was lost to the feral trolls many decades ago.

15th Limestone 972

For several days I have travelled southwards, in the general direction of The Brutal Gloom. The air is colder here. I am heading into goblin territory now, the landscape broken and sinister. I hear strange sounds coming from beneath the towers of Terrorheart. I am dismayed to find many undead creatures writhing in the deep. I am forced to slay a zombie unicorn, its body smeared with goblin blood.
How on earth did a majestic and pure unicorn make it to such a den of evil? There are trolls, beak dogs and even a yak down here. What crazed necromancer is responsible for this? I find no elven prisoners though, and decide to press on southwards through the murky wastes to The Brutal Gloom.

As dawn breaks, it begins raining dwarf blood. What a truly evil place.

16th Limestone 972

I arrive at the entrance to The Brutal Gloom, a dark and forboding cave hewn from the cold featureless rock. I spot movement on a rocky outcrop. An elf! The dazed woodcrafter in tattered clothing is Fewetha Snarlingdied, and he begs me to save him.

I agree and we head further towards the camp. There may be more of my kin to rescue, and perhaps Lapama Foggylulls still lives. Tucked behind the outcrop I find the corpse of Tipi Avetholina, dead for centuries. Her corpse bears the marks of a massive bear-like creature, perhaps a victim of the apocalyptic bear who ravaged the elven heartlands in centuries past? I try to get some information from my elven comrade. Fewetha has no family, and no idea how long he has been trapped here. I vow to take him back to the forests of his homeland.

To the south east is a small camp, where a human merchant sits alone. He is of the Pleated Society, the humans in thrall to the goblin filth who took over this cave and who enslaved my brethren. Fewetha is incensed and stabs the merchant in the neck with his iron dagger. The woodcrafter has a crazed expression. I suppose being held captive in a cave for centuries will do that to an elf.

Together we finally find the secluded entrance to the cave, and the first creature I encounter is a terrified elven merchant prisoner. He tells me his wife is Eliye Mobbean. This must be her second husband, Lapama Foggylulls. He still draws breath and yearns to be reunited with his love. I bid him join us and be rescued. I tell him to wait with Fewetha while I explore the cave.

It is a strange place, unlike any I have seen before. Traps lie at every corner. I travel carefully, and hear footsteps in the distance. A goblin! His head leaves his shoulders silently. On his corpse I find a ring made of black bear man tooth. More evidence of battle between black bear men and the goblins and elves?

The frail general squeals as she is next to fall, and a black bear man bone ring is found on her skinny corpse. Soon enough, the Baron Amxu Windyhatred is slain and the last of the goblins in this dank pit are dead. I will take this cave for the elves and return a hero. I gather Fewetha and Lapama and beging the long trek back to safety, through these barren sinister lands. The going is tough, and the elves retch on the hideous filth that rains from the sky.

Things go from bad to worse as we try to sneak through goblin territory between Endedplagues and Malignedtuft - we are ambushed by goblin scum! It ends better than I thought. I scavenge some iron and copper armour to give to the two terrified elves. We move on.

Once we leave the oppressive Waste of Strangeness, the elven captives spot the first signs of living greenery in many a year. The mood amongst the former prisoners improves. The rain washes the burden of years of captivity as well as the foul congealed dwarven blood. We make good time northwards, stopping at an abandonded bandit camp to find new clothing and backpacks. Lapama finds an excellent iron spear on the skeletal corpse of a goblin brigand and straps it to his back.

19th Limestone 972

We arrive at the monastery of Partnerveil, home to two elves I met briefly on my journey south. I charge the elven peasants here to lord over Shrivelgutters and The Brutal Gloom. They seem eager to accept the challenge. We take turns to roll the dice on the altar of The Creed of Vomit. We are blessed with good fortune. I take it as a good omen

On the outskirts of Soakedsings, we encounter a terrifying creature. An elven skeleton hanging with rotten flesh, still enrobed and clutching a spear. It has a gaunt appearance. It appears to be the corpse of Ule Twigpacked, child of the forest slain 900 years ago by a forest titan. It looks towards us balefully but appears to have no ill intent. We leave it unmolested.

20th Limestone 972

In the forest retreat of Bootteal we find a horrifying sight. Trees have been massacred and fallen elves litter the ground. A band of goblins approaches from the east! Their ringleader claims to be a lord, returning to Poisonuttered, capital of the Most Sin! They will pay for their murder.

21st Limestone 972

At long last, we arrive at Glacialtempests. Eliye is most delighted to have her husband returned to her.

I meet the new princess, a planegiftian by the name of Lorsith Eastbroil. She has a determined look, and wields a shield and spear. I am sure she will do the elves proud. When I talk to Queen Adela, she is remarkably sanguine on learning of my slaughter of her predecessor. I recount my adventures in the caves of Shrivelgutters and The Brutal Gloom, and how many goblins have fallen to my blade. Hopefully now the elves will be free of the insidious cancer of goblinkind, and can sue for peace with the Mong Uthros.

I spend a few nights as a guest of the new Queen who is enamoured by my prowess. Indeed, she invites me to share her bed, lamenting that her celibate monk husband has resided in Planegifts since their sham marriage. The next morning I leave quietly, knowing that I do not truly belong here, not knowing that I have planted a seed in her belly. I will head back to Mong Uthros. I need to find the new law giver, child of Ile and grandchild of Alatha, to tell them of my great progress.

22nd Limestone 972

The journey back to where I came from is long. I stop in Mergedforest and find yet more evidence of goblin barbarity. Cameda Pricemaroon the Uncommon Dungeons stands amongst the corpses of my brethren, his steel blade smeared with their gore. I will not stand for this.

25th Limestone 972

Finally I return to Drillshrine. I am saddened to find the cup bearer and executioner are blighted thralls, but this time I am able to slay them before they harm the law-giver. Amoya Fernbow is truly the most beautiful elf I have ever seen. She has her grandfather's eyes and her fathers kind smile. Unfortunately, things do not go down well when I tell her the success of my plans. She is strangely outraged that I killed the elven queen, even though she was a goblin collaborator.

I spend many days bleeding into weeks trying to convince her of the truth - of her grandfather and father's plans and their belief in me, and the corrupt goblin influence over the elvish court. It takes a long, long time.

11th Sandstone 972

I leave Drillshrine content that Amoya and I see eye to eye. We have become very close over the weeks. I can almost spot the swell of her belly and her wry smile as I depart.

One blighted thrall came to replace her Chief Executioner and was quickly overpowered. How many more of these unholy abominations stalk the land? A visitor has left a message for me it seems. The Baron of Keyconjure has requested my presence in The Eternal Citadel, wishing to discuss my theft of The Scholarly Scorn! The colour drains from my face. He has listed a number of demands and things to be returned to him in his new lair, far to the south. I know better than to defy the will of the Blind Sadist so I set off southward at great haste. I will take the Razorbridge. I hear it has thrived under elven guidance in recent years.

12th Sandstone 972

As I travel south I endeavour to route out any thralls which still lurk in these places. In Taxglee I find a creature I have never encountered before. A blighted thrall stronger than any other I have faced. It takes the form of a goblin axeman but it is something else entirely. It uses foul necromantic magic to raise an unnatural cloud of fog around me and with a gesture I am thrown from the hall, desperately grasping at the door as I fly.

There are two of them! They throw me through the air, my body slamming against tree trunks. I am protected by my dwarven steel but find little initiative to counterattack. After a while, their magic seems somehow exhausted and they leap upon my stunned form. I scramble to unsheath Tameimpaled and cleave their heads from their shoulders. I am lucky to escape with only a bruised shoulder. This more powerful undead must be the work of the same sinister agent responsible for the dreaded blight. I press on, wary for any other such monstrosities.

14th Sandstone 972

Stirredshoves is home to a blighted thrall lady and her pet zombie ravens. How bizarre. I put them all out of their misery.

At Razorbridge, I find a fort bursting with life. Many children play in the forest and dwarves gaily recite poetry.

What a welcome relief from the hordes of undead. In the Inn, "The Stable Bridge," I find a great many performers and bards singing merry songs. A particularly statuesque elven bowmaiden catches my eye; Miaralei Shakenfurs is her name and she is a member of this fort's ruling group.

I am drawn immediately to an enormously fat unicorn, lazily being patted by the tavern-goers. What a fine steed it would make, if it lost some of its flab. The unicorn bears me to the border of the southern edge of the fort, before promptly snorting and returning northwards, making it quite clear that he does not belong to me. Ah well.

17th Sandstone 972

The journey south is long and arduous. I travel westerly skirting the coast, towards the lands of The High Confederacies. A few goblin patrols are easily dispatched, but it appears the town of Binsacks has a ghoul problem. Corpses litter the streets and I take a few foul thralls down. On the outskirts I am attacked by some blighted thrall peasants. I continue south west towards the fabled city of Incensorder and the human kingdom of Sastsepor.

20th Sandstone 972

In the end I avoid the cities of The High Confederacies, stopping only to rest in the villages of that land at night. I do not wish to tarry in my task, lest the Blind Sadist send agents against me.

I arrive at the first location as instructed by the Baron of Keyconjure. A museum of some kind, the dwarven fort of Boltspumpkin. It is in a sorry state. Priceless artifacts litter the ground haphazardly. What kind of museum allows its treasures to be treated this way?

I investigate further. Inside the fort are a number of gremlins and a few goblins. The monk Thep tells me the Work of Phrasing runs Boltspumpkin, and Rope Mobbedwilt is their leader. Rope is nowhere to be found. I place the crown of Moldath Mournsaints, from his brief tenure as king of The Walled Dye on an unclaimed pedestal. He lost it in Balancehammer many years ago and I hope he will be glad it is returned. My next instructions are slightly more complicated. I am to steal something from Lawtaker, and something from Stockadeoutrage. I speak to the gremlins and goblins here and get some rough directions. This could take a while.

I find Lawtaker quickly, and it looks to have been ransacked. In the corner is what I am looking for - the bronze slab Shoselostar. It radiates evil and is impossibly heavy. As instructed I transcribe its foul heiroglyphs on to a scroll and stow it in my pack. This knowledge seems to be very important to the Baron and may just save my neck.

Next on my list is to travel to Stockadeoutrage and confront a dwarf queen - Vucar Axesafety. She too has a crown which the Baron has requested. Gods only know why.

23rd Sandstone 972

The Tundra of Heroes is impossibly cold for one such as I, used to the fair climes of the far north. The snow-capped obsidian spire jutting from the featureless icy plain indicates I have arrived at Kikrostzar. The first living thing I see is a terrifyingly huge humanoid with the head and long white fur of a polar bear. It hefts an enormous halberd and is draped in iron chainmail of prodigious size. The polar bear man introduces himself as Borik Iceshatter the Blockaded Praise of Vessels. The massive bear grins as I ask about the local ruler. He agrees to join me on my adventures. I tell him of my quest to gather treasure for the Blind Sadist baron of Keyconjure, and he licks his lips in anticipation.

After scouring the frozen fort we finally find the Queen Vucar Axesafety, and denounce her as a vampire - knowledge entrusted to us by the Baron. Borik leaps upon her tearing at her neck with his great jaws and while she is distracted, I deftly remove her head. We retrieve the treasure the Baron had requested - a crown, and a slab.

24th Sandstone 972

The slab is prodigiously heavy but Borik shoulders the burden with surprising ease. Unfortunately, he cannot resist the runes etched upon it and his eyes glaze over with forbidden knowledge. It is time to trek to the Eternal Citadel to face our fate. In terror I cannot find the hemp quire in which I inscribed the knowledge of Shoselostar. In a panic I quickly scribe a second tome and stash it in my pack. I must have left the original scroll back in Stockadeoutrage.

26th Sandstone 972

Just over the mountains to the west, we are attacked by a huge corrupted drake - a Cave Dragon! Where has this thing come from? Borik's axe splits its skull. He hefts its enormous corpse on his back alongisde the evil slab and grins. We head east to the fort. We arrive at The Eternal Citadal - a great clear glass pyramid erupts from a lush valley. Within Borik gleefully butchers the cave dragon corpse.

We find the Baron in his personal temple to the death God Ala, deep below his private chambers. His teeth are disconcertingly long and he has an aura of blight around him. He silently nods at me and Borik in turn. In the four corners of the temple, surrounding an adamantine coffin, are well crafted pedestals. On the north west is a blade more beautiful and terrible than I have ever seen - Tautaches the adamantine long sword, its grip made of demon leather, menacing with spikes of adamantine.

At the silent direction of the Baron we place our gifts.

The slab retrieved from Vucar Axesafety - Gallpaddles the Spittle of Juice.
The crown of the Staff of Kissing.
The quire of knowledge from Shoselostar.

As we begin our retreat we hear a scrabbling from a corridor to the east. An enormous forgotten beast - "The Perplexing" - an insectoid creature with poison vapours. The creature falls to my blade.

And with that our story ends. We retire to enjoy the hospitality of The Eternal Citadel, under the protection of the Blind Sadist. He tasks us with training a young obese dwarf in the arts of war and letters, and it is made very clear that this is not a negotiable request. It seems we are now considered the loyal subjects of The Book of Dreams, the local government.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:36:31 pm by kesperan »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: April 27, 2023, 02:25:35 pm »

Impregnating two elven monarchs, are we?

I was reading and when you got back to the lawmaker I was just like "Oh he wouldn't"

Then you arrive at razorbridge and meet Miara and I'm like "He better not!" lol
Great entry honestly really puts things together I was interested in exploring on my next turn!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: April 27, 2023, 06:05:04 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Maloy. I would never steal your woman….

I enjoyed this turn. Something a bit different but also still adding to the mythos of Moldath.

I think the elves have quite an interesting story. It seems that by getting rid of the goblins in Glacialtempests and Shrivelgutter, one can no longer create a goblin from Ribiromini. I’m not sure why the option to make a Mong Uthros elf vanished too.

I plan to make a semi-OOC epilogue post to delve into the characters of Tirin, Thothil, Borik and indeed young Stukos in more detail but essentially Tirin highly values romance and lust which is why he has so many dalliances!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: April 28, 2023, 04:16:33 pm »

Those dark ones - imagine fighting one of those, but covered in steel! Nasty creatures.

Also, I find it funny that the Blind Sadist is literally described by the game as long-toothed, like HMMM I WONDER.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: April 28, 2023, 04:27:02 pm »

Those dark ones - imagine fighting one of those, but covered in steel! Nasty creatures.

Also, I find it funny that the Blind Sadist is literally described by the game as long-toothed, like HMMM I WONDER.

Yeah, that fight was brutal as a regular mortal elf. My head skidded along the ground at one point. How I managed to escape with only a bruised shoulder I will never know.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: April 28, 2023, 04:41:52 pm »

You know he's been a vampire for centuries, right?

Or does the description of vampires usually not described them as such?

I’m not sure why the option to make a Mong Uthros elf vanished too.
I suspect because the elf Law-Giver died? Although that first elf Law-Giver's line still rules. They're even elves actually born after World Activation, so that's interesting. The new generation really is settling into this old world every few decades (as is natural, I suppose).

There's a hand of Planegifts Crown Princess for Ribiromimi, which is... interesting, and also disturbing (in elven culture, if the Queen dies, the Crown Princess takes the throne unless the Crown Princess can be killed, so her position can be replaced).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 04:46:01 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: April 28, 2023, 05:50:29 pm »

I mean, his flesh has rotten off and he’s missing an ear and his nose but focus on how long his teeth are!

Elves were playable for Mong Uthros long before the first elf lawgiver. It’s just a weird bug I think, like how dwarves vanished from the list despite two playable dwarf civilisation still available.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: April 28, 2023, 09:31:54 pm »

You know he's been a vampire for centuries, right?

Or does the description of vampires usually not described them as such?
Oh I'm well aware, but usually the game doesn't make it quite this obvious.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 263