Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409373 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3240 on: May 19, 2023, 06:05:58 pm »

Well then I will get started downloading that!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: May 21, 2023, 12:49:25 am »

It has begun
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: May 21, 2023, 12:20:38 pm »

Ah, wonderful, you visited two of my forts and made a daring rescue mission!

The ettin in the trapped corridor in Ashcinders was known as "Mirthglittered the Mellow Wonders" and he attacked the fort in 809, wielding the native platinum slab The Putrid Juice. He was slain by the militia, and his corpse put on display alongside the slab, and a statue memorialising his death.

The slab was eventually stolen by the zealous knights of Omon Obin - Luki Systemtowns and Irka Tinsabre had a hand it it's eventual theft and was apparently destroyed in 956 in Realmspire as the misguided forces of Omon Obin seek to rid the world of the secrets of life and death.

As far as Pik goes, I am sorry he is a bit worse for wear and missing a few appendages. He was imprisoned by The Book of Secrets and made to fight many cave trolls and gorlaks for their twisted amusement, with hilarious results when he ressurected their corpses to run wild. I am sure he will regenerate those missing parts on the next full moon, though..

Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: May 21, 2023, 12:44:47 pm »

Do you need to worry about the regeneration glitch with him?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: May 21, 2023, 01:22:20 pm »

Do you need to worry about the regeneration glitch with him?

None of the parts that were chopped off were reanimated - no limbs/heads with grasp tokens, just some teeth, ears and his nose. They all got incinerated/atom smashed just to be on the safe side.

The Eternal Citadel would have crashed when Eric's new wolf woman tried to enter it if the glitch was in effect.

Pik will be completely naked of course, as a werebeast invader. I am sure he can use the forges and looms of the citadel to make himself some new gear. And perhaps he will meet some of the wonderful characters of my fort, including the Militia Commander Stukos Mournsaints, the family of elven warriors or maybe the polar bear man necromancer legendary fisherbear Borik Iceshatter?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: May 21, 2023, 03:17:17 pm »

He actually started with normal civilian clothes, and I didn't explore beyond that or use dfhack at the site (so I didn't use any workshops or unretire the fort or anything.) I retired there, unretired with both in a party, and left. Didnt meet anyone interesting either.
I make Spellcrafts!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: May 21, 2023, 03:44:26 pm »

Oh well, I am just glad you managed to retrieve him safely.

If (in fort mode) the corrupted site was conquered/destroyed, would that un-bug it?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: May 21, 2023, 03:57:41 pm »

I highly doubt it, but you know what, ive never tried, nor heard of one getting conquered by any army, sent by a player or an npc siege.
I make Spellcrafts!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 22, 2023, 07:45:59 pm »

Save is up. Current size is 460-470 MB, using WinRAR at normal compression.

The year is still 996, and while there's no new fortress, there is a new Museum exhibit - a set of Blighted Thrall organs in preservative jars. (Long story, will follow once I get turn 102 typed up due to the characters involved being established during that turn's story.)

[spoiler=For Dikbutdagrate, minor spoilers]

Oh hey, sweet! I believe someones earned themselves some surgery!

That is a rather incredible amount of honey, so I mean... you've definitely earned the secret knowledge.
But I'm going to have to withhold that information for like 50 turns or something, otherwise it sort of ruins my character's whole bit of being a gimmick vendor.

Apologies for the inconvenience there! I'll make up for it with some weird stuff to add to your character, once my turn comes around.

How much honey did you give me? Like all of it? Alright, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Normally, you're supposed to provide whatever you want grafted onto you. But I guess I can scrounge around for some stuff.
Giant vampire bat wings, and a sea serpent tail? That'd be sweet! But uhh, I dunno, that might take awhile to gather... Maybe I'll just find a rock or some worms or something.

One worm for each honey? Yeah, call it a discount. Hehe.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:56:39 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: May 23, 2023, 03:41:26 am »

Oh hey, sweet! I believe someones earned themselves some surgery!

That is a rather incredible amount of honey, so I mean... you've definitely earned the secret knowledge.
But I'm going to have to withhold that information for like 50 turns or something, otherwise it sort of ruins my character's whole bit of being a gimmick vendor.

Apologies for the inconvenience there! I'll make up for it with some weird stuff to add to your character, once my turn comes around.
I fully understand how it would interfere with your character's gimmick, so I've no problem with waiting for that knowledge. Hopefully Weenie sees a bit more business in the turns to come.

How much honey did you give me? Like all of it?
I handed off basically all of the jars in those three screenshots (barring the empty one) to Weenie, so that's something like three inventory screens of honey in wooden jars. I'll have a look in the save in a bit, see if I can pull the proper numbers from Weenie's inventory.

EDIT: Looked over it. It's something like 29 wooden jars of honey, with 16 urists of honey per jar.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 03:44:25 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: May 23, 2023, 09:39:33 am »

7th Malachite, 899

Frigiddungeon had truly earned its name, Gasin Crewcanyons mused, as he completed his third circuit of the tower that night. Though the tower’s stone and the more temperate climate provided some protection from the night’s chill, the cold seemed to cling to the very stones. The chill would have kept him up, even if his thoughts were not ablaze after the day’s events. The fog that drifted over the network of trenches and depressions before him only made it worse, deepening the chill and turning every shadow to a flicking, monstrous shape. 

Gasin breathed deeply, but the breath caught in his throat as he saw something looming in the mists.

A slender, hunched shape, its neck twisted to an unnatural angle, and a curved crescent of wood gripped in its fingers. And around it – others, their shapes indistinct, but all visibly humanoid and armoured.

He drew his sword in an instant, the blade solid and reassuring in his hands. It did not help the sweat suddenly running down his brow, or the sudden crawling of his skin. He strode forward into the mists, eyes snapping left and right. In every shadow he saw the first of them reflected, a silent figure gazing at the inquisitor from a hundred different perches.

“Show yourself!” He snarled into the fog, raising his blade in readiness for battle. He swung left and right at the shadowy figures, but his blade met nothing but air; he slammed his fists into them when they loomed near, but met nothing but loamy soil. “Come forth and face me, or return to the Sunless Realm once again!”

Yet there was no answer.

His hand faintly ached from how hard he was gripping the sword, and he seized upon it to try and ground himself. She was not here. She was dead. They all were. This was no more than a shadow play, a trick of the moonlight and the fogs.

He bit his lip hard enough to split it, blinking away the ghostly after-images to reveal the trench he now stood in, cloak speckled with mud and dirt. He forced himself to turn and retreat back toward the tower at a near-run, clearing the steps two at a time as he strode back up to the very top. There, at least, there was no fog – merely blank, cold stone, a murky view of the surrounding towers, and the ever-present chill.

Gasin twisted uncomfortably, resisting the urge to scratch at the numb, tugging sensation between his ribs. The knife had gone deeper than he thought, and his flesh healed slowly. Sometimes it felt as though the blade was still lodged there, and that sensation was always accompanied by phantom pains lancing up the base of his spine, or otherwise twisting his gut. It would take time to heal properly; longer now, after the strains of the past week.

Gasin momentarily looked over his shoulder toward the sleeping forms of his comrades on the floors below, closing his eyes and letting out a deep, shaky breath as he returned his gaze to the darkness. It turned his stomach that he had to deceive them as he did. But he had no choice in this matter, and the sight before him was a bitter reminder of him. Days behind the Sage, and now his master had demanded a meeting.

A flicker of light amid the shadows. An ethereal wisp of bluish energy flickered in the air, drifting forward until it was almost directly before him. rapidly resolving into the form of a woman. Tall. Gaunt. Pallid as a risen corpse. Almost against his will, Gasin knelt before her as she drew to a halt before him.

“My liege.” He said, bowing fractionally.

“You have failed to capture him, then.” The woman’s voice was cold enough that the air itself seemed to freeze. A few flakes of snow began to drift about the two of them.

“No.” Gasin’s features twitched sharply. “To fail implies there was a possibility of capturing him to begin with.”

“You failed, and now you waste time on a wild chase. On deceiving your tools, rather than putting them to use.”

“I –”

“You disappoint me.” As if to signify her displeasure, frost crackled across the ground and crept up the leather of his boots. He resisted the urge to shudder. “You have spent nigh upon a decade hunting and murdering His children with such masterful skill, and now you are outwitted by a single, decrepit old man. I did not save your life to be rewarded with incompetence, Gasin Crewcanyons. You are meant to aid us, not further complicate our plans.”

Gasin could not help the bitter, scornful laugh that clawed its way out of his raw throat at that. He’d had no life left to save, not by the time she arrived to take possession of him.

The nightmare had begun almost two years ago, and he had found himself unable to wake from it. It should have been easy – a purge of the Blighted, locked within a hamlet’s mead hall, crippled and starving from a lack of sustenance. Simple. Routine. But there had been more to that place than expected, and he had been careless. One strong hit to the chest from a thrall’s war hammer was all it took to bring him down. He had laid there in the dirt, choking on the breath the thrall’s hammer had knocked out of his lungs, unable to do anything but watch as the men and women he had led into that diseased hell were set upon by the horde. The screams haunted him still, as did the taste of blood in his mouth, its touch against his skin.

And then they had come for him.

For weeks they had kept him prisoner, shackled in a filthy cage like a beast. They had cursed him in mind and body, reducing him to a living death. Justice, they had called it, Justice for the murdered! Those creatures forced him to feel the death of every living soul he had freed from the horror of the Blight; to feel their terror, their despair, and their pain both old and new. His flesh had turned cold, to be coaxed back through dark practices. Time and time again, the cycle had repeated.

And all the while, the gods and masters he had faithfully served for so long did nothing.

Instead, the woman before him had come to him as though from a dream. He remembered their first encounter still – her, bizarre and ethereal; a phantom like the one standing before him now, towering over the bones and filth strewn across the floor of that gods-forsaken hall. He had thought he had lost his mind in that moment, that the tortures of the sorcerers had finally driven him wholly over the edge into madness. The High Priestess of the Abyssal Cult, come to bargain for the life of a thrall-killer to serve her own purposes.

As if sensing his distraction, the High Priestess paused and walked closer to him, drifting across the foggy ground until she was only inches away from his face. Her mere presence seemed to cool the freezing air further, until every breath stung his nose and throat from within. His skin crawled with gooseflesh, and it was only by a great effort and pure stubbornness that he kept himself from shivering at the cold creeping into his bones.

“Perhaps,” She whispered, a note of menace creeping into her voice. “These failures are intentional? Perhaps you still find your service… distasteful?”

The High Priestess raised a thin, almost skeletal hand toward his face, drawing it across his cheek in a mocking parody of affection. His skin crawled at the sudden, freezing cold that accompanied her touch, but he did not draw away. He dared not.

“Your service can end at a word, Gasin Crewcanyons. There is no doubt you would be welcome back in Platewheats. I can always recruit another to fill your place – less capable, perhaps, but more willing.”

Gasin’s jaw twitched sharply as he clenched his teeth together, biting back the rising, venomous tide of terror bubbling up in his chest at the High Priestess’s words.

“That- that will not be necessary… Elder.” He ground out, forcing his voice to remain calmer than he felt. “This is a temporary setback, nothing more!”

The High Priestess’s head turned toward him, her cold black eyes narrowing to reptilian slits. At last, however, she gestured for him to continue.

“Firstly, your enemies are one less. Kosoth Heatlions is dead, and his work put to the torch.”

“Heatlions was a fool. A pawn who sought knowledge above his station, and fled in the face of revelation. There was no need to kill him.”

“Secondly, our quarry’s trail has been easy to follow.” He forced himself to swallow down the hot, harsh words burning in the back of his throat. The High Priestess was displeased as it was, and speaking out of turn would only compound her anger toward him. “The Sage has covered few of his tracks. It is only a matter of time until he is in your hand, even if he has slipped the net for now.”
The Priestess did not speak, but nor did she move to cut him off.

“Thirdly,” He hesitated a moment, trying to moisten his increasingly dry throat before continuing to speak. “Thirdly, my… my companions –”

“Enough.”

She paused, cocking her head to the side. The sound of snow gusting around the graveyard was the only sound in the silence.

“And where…” The High Priestess intoned, her voice taking on a tight, restrained tone. “Would the Sage’s path happen to be taking him?”

“Northwards.” He could not help the element of bitter spite leaking into his voice. Deep down, some part of him wanted this mad quest of his to fail. “Beyond the Realm. Beyond the tundra. Beyond the deepfolk’s old kingdoms, even.”

The High Priestess’s breath hissed between her teeth. She growled something in a language he could not understand, then turned away from him entirely as though struggling to compose herself. Fear stabbed at his chest for a moment, fear that he had pushed too far and would suffer the Priestess’s wrath, but it faded as she slowly turned toward him again.

“I must consult with our Lord again.” She sighed. For a few seconds, her translucent features faded away entirely to leave nothing but a shadowy impression of her against the wall. “We will need aid, if our quarry slips through our fingers. If you fail us again in your tasks.”

Gasin was quite certain he would have cracked a molar from how tightly his jaw was clenched, were it not for some lingering instinct guarding him against such harm. “I assure you, High Priestess, I will not fail.”

“I hope so for your sake, Gasin Crewcanyons. Should events not fall as planned, I shall have to take a more… direct hand in these affairs.”

One of his eyes twitched. Cold fingers ran down his back, sending sweat dripping down his brow despite the night’s cold. “A-a more… ‘direct’ hand?”

“An intervention. In the flesh. In person.” The High Priestess stalked through the shadows until she was directly before him and bent down to his height, staring him in the eye. “Do you understand?”
He bowed his head hastily, clamping down on the fear and frustration roiling deep within his gut. “Yes, Master. I understand.”

“Good. Now go from this place. Recover the Sage. Ensure the continuation of the Great Work. Do not fail us. And do not forget – your life and death belong to us, now. I would be gladdened to extend your miserable existence until your debts are paid.” She extended a skeletal finger from the depths of her sleeve, its tip resting inches away from his nose. “Think on your sins, Gasin Crewcanyons.”

The Dark Sprawl of Monal Gole was ablaze.

The battle had been raging for the better part of an hour, now, though to name it such stretched the definition. It was less a single battle so much as a near-unbroken chain of individual fights and brawls as the attackers moved from tower to tower, mercilessly clearing each one before moving on to the next. For each, they would split into two groups – one to hold the lowest floor, cutting down anything that sought to come up from the pits below the tower, while the other would advance up the stairs and deal with the sentries above, cutting the goblins down and casting their bodies from the battlements to crash wetly against the ground below.

In some towers, they even dared to enter the pits below, cutting their way through the maze of tunnels and cramped cells that serviced the needs of the population. Much of the space was occupied by beak dogs, trolls, and the other war-beasts the goblins bred down in the depths. They cut them down without hesitation, exploiting the cramped quarters and the beasts’ lack of intellect to their advantage.

Even so, they did not dare the larger caverns. They all remembered well the old tales of those stygian places, deep enough that they were said to lead directly to the chained frost-iron gates of the Sunless Realm itself, where all souls must one day go. Not even the most bloodthirsty or wild of the belligerents lacked caution to such an extent that they were willing to challenge that claim, and so the greatest caverns were studiously ignored in the course of their rampage.

Mori struck another of the goblins down as it turned to flee, swinging her hammer’s killing face into the retreating greenskin’s back. It dropped like a puppet with its strings cut, the spine broken midway; a hard stamp to the back of the neck provided a satisfactory crack and a wet gurgling noise. Blood frothed between its lips as it slumped face-first into the mud. She stormed on into the fighting, leaving the wretched thing to drown in its own blood.

Wrenching her hammer free from the cracked ribcage of a troll, Mori sent its killing face hurtling into that of a charging lasher, taking most of his face off with a single blow. A glance to her sides before she finished the job confirmed the resistance in the pit was mostly eliminated. The creatures had come eagerly rushing toward the source of raw meat standing at the narrow entrance to the pit, only to be cut down by axe and sword with swift, efficient strikes. As the bodies had begun to pile up and the attacks became less frequent, they had begun to advance deeper into this tower’s pits, cutting down the greenskins and their minions wherever they dared to show their faces.

Mori paused for a moment to block a desperate spear-thrust from a greenskin animal keeper, before shattering his arm with a retaliatory blow from her shield. It was sloppy, next to her usual movement, but she barely cared by that point.

Her muddied, bloodstained consciousness lacked the time and focus for finesse.

Grunting, she swung her hammer back into the goblin’s arm with enough force to pulp the bone. A second swing split his skull apart like an overripe fruit, broke his neck, and sent scarlet blood spraying in all directions. Mori tossed his twitching corpse back into the shifting morass and turned in search of another life to end.

There was nothing. The resistance in the cavern was all but destroyed – anything still alive was either too well hidden or too far for her to see.

Gasin and the rest of the party met them at the stairs’ top. They were bloodied similarly to her and her comrades, their armour and weapons speckled with red and coppery blue from the carnage they had wrought. Bodies and bits of bodies carpeted the stone around them, the remnants of the goblins and trolls that had managed to slip past them or which had dwelled on the towers to begin with. 

“No problems, I take it?” Thadar growled, eyeing Mori’s bloodied form.

“Only in how long it took to kill them all.” She answered, voice equally tight.

They continued on in silence after that. The mood was still tense between them after the events of yesterday, the death of their comrade still weighing heavily on all of their minds. With each tower they came across, the pattern repeated – only the number and kind of those slain in the battles changing. With each fight, they drew closer to the black tower at the centre of the network of pits – the home of whatever creatures controlled this corrupt sprawl.

They had just cleared the last tower before the central spire and were advancing toward the end of the final trench when Gasin suddenly flung out an arm, stopping the group’s advance in their tracks. He was staring at the citadel suspiciously, liquid black eyes narrowed to slits as he glared at the stone.

“Wait.” He hissed, suddenly alert. “There is something strange here.”

“The hell are you on about?” Mori let out a growl of irritation, visibly resisting the urge to shove past him and keep walking on. “I don’t see anything out there.”

Gasin grimaced. “I would not be so sure. Those creatures may have some foul magic worked into the stone.”

Mori bared her teeth in reply, features twisting into a snaggle-toothed snarl.

“Whatever it is… it will not keep them safe.”

Mori took a single step out onto the plains, and then another. She turned back, raising an eyebrow as if mocking the inquisitor’s hesitance. The others began to follow her, emboldened by the hammerwoman’s confidence. Gasin hesitated a moment longer before stepping forward to join them.

And in that one moment, everything changed.

Space became forbidden. Time contracted to a single frozen instant. Every step was an eternity.

“-ri.”

She pushed forward with all her might. It was like shoving against a wall of solid steel. Time contracted further. Her thoughts slowed, stiffened, began to grind to a halt.

“-ori.”

What was she doing here? What was it she had come to find? It was something important, she knew that, but she couldn’t remember why. If it was so important, why couldn’t she recall it? She’d wait for a bit. Then it’d come back to her –

“Mori!” Somebody screamed.

The voice broke her from the strange stupor that had settled over her. Gasping, she reeled back from the tower, staggering back across the loam. A look toward her comrades confirmed it had not been some isolated delusion – most of the group were pale as ghosts, breathing as though they had run a marathon; Gencesh was slumped against the trench wall, crushing his temples in both hands, sweat dripping down his forehead. Gasin himself had seemingly been struck the worst; he was on his hands and knees at the edge of the trench, emptying his stomach’s contents onto the soil below. When he rose again, his face was waxen, and his liquid black eyes bore a horror to answer that in Mori’s eyes.

“This place is cursed.” Mori felt herself saying. She felt strange, almost light-headed; her mouth felt as though it were moving independently of her. “This place…”

Gasin shook his head, silently making an unfamiliar sign over his breast with one hand. He was physically shaking, though whether it was from the evident nausea or whatever terror had struck upon his mind, Mori could not tell.

“We must leave.” He rasped, tone brooking no argument. Beneath the strength of his voice, there was the unmistakable tremor of some deep-seated terror. “Before we are drawn in too far.” He sucked in a sharp, pained breath. “Now!”

Little further encouragement was required. They turned from the tower and retreated without a word, the universal fear of the strange power that had ensnared them stifling any questions. Time bent, changed, shuddered. One moment their legs were slow as molasses, stumbling along like sleepwalkers caught in a nightmare; the next they were fast as lightning, scrambling across the loamy ground with exaggeratedly swift strides. They ran, and ran, and did not stop until the tower was a distant shape and reality had re-asserted itself. Only then did they let themselves rest, slumping to the dirt and taking in long, deep gulps of air to ease the burning stitches in their sides.

“What…” Gencesh wheezed. “The hell… was that?”

“I have heard tales of such places,” Dubmith’s voice was unnervingly soft, her features paler than ever. Were it not for the faintest hint of colour to her lips, she might as well have been a marble statue. “Places where time itself is corrupt, and the gods hold no sway.”

“I remember those stories,” Hathur rasped, her voice hoarse with exhaustion. She shook her head, almost disbelievingly. “Tales of worms that devoured time, or else turned it in on itself to ensnare the unwary.”

“They were true, indeed.” Gasin whispered, his jaw tightly set. “To feel that even once…”

It took Hathur a moment to comprehend the implications of that statement. Slowly, Hathur looked up toward the black-clad figure of the inquisitor. “You have experienced this before?” 

“Aye.” Gasin’s voice was quiet, devoid of its usual bombast. The colour had drained away from his face, to leave behind a dead, grey mask. Blood vessels had burst in one eye, staining it red. He spat a ball of red-flecked saliva to the dirt, blood dripping from where he’d badly bitten his tongue. “Once.”

Something moved in the haze. Mori surged to her feet with her hammer in hand, immediately alert, but the sight before her froze her in mid-motion.

“By the Dark Forest…” She whispered.

Gasin forged forward to stand beside her, and his face grew greyer than ever at the sight before them.

Before the plains around the tower, there stood themselves. Gasin, Mori, Thadar, Dubmith – all of them, standing in the very same places they had before.

“What is this magic?” Murmured Gencesh. “This trickery?”

Mori looked closer, taking in the sight before her. It was then she began to notice the oddities and the differences of their counterparts.

The Gasin of the other side was older and bearded, his face bearing a trio of wicked scars that ran from one temple to the base of his neck. Ritualistic tattoos crawled across his features, slitted eyes and dyed fangs forming an elaborate tapestry on his face. Thadar’s face lacked her brutal scarring, and her armoured hands held a bloodied morningstar forged from some shimmering metal; she wore a similar outfit to the original Gasin, finely-tailored black robes and clothing beneath armor. Dubmith’s skin looked almost bluish, her normally slender frame bulked by ropes of unnatural muscles and plates of heavy armour. She clutched a maul rather than a sword, and as she tilted her head towards them, Mori caught sight of the blisters and lesions that crawled across her face.

“This...” Hathur whispered. “This is impossible!”

Hathur’s doppelganger was a dwarf, her armour missing and a pair of wickedly sharp axes forged of blue metal clutched in stubby fingers, her hair spiked and stiffened into a huge crest. Gencesh was missing entirely, replaced by a one-eyed reptilian brute of charcoal scales and wings. Sizet, too, was absent from the image – instead Mori stood in her place, her features grizzled and harsh, a rapier in one hand and a crossbow in the other. And there, at the very edge of the image – Mori barely held back a gasp at the sight of Luki, alive and whole beyond the gleaming metal prosthesis that replaced her left arm, the archer staring back at them as though in shock.

“It is – a path our lives might have gone down, had fate taken a different course.” Gasin shook his head, blinking furiously. “Look away from it, and it will fade.”

“You have seen this before? Is it real?”

“Perhaps,” Gasin shrugged. “Who but the gods can say? It is a glimpse of things that never were, that never could be. We should not be seeing it…”

The figures were coming closer. The alternate Gasin seemed to be in heated debate with Hathur, the dwarf woman’s features visibly twisting in anger or frustration. Her axes scraped against each other in a spray of sparks as she snapped something at Gasin. The others seethed and shifted uncertainly, exchanging glances and mouthing words. The alternate Dubmith drew closer, letting them see the ravages of whatever disease had claimed her in painful detail. Luki came with her, reaching a hand forward as though in wonder before snatching it back at a snarl from the alternate Dubmith.

“Enough. We must move on – and quickly, lest it ensnare us in madness.” Gasin shook his head as though pained, motioned with a hand to wave them away. He drew another sharp breath, eyes widening slightly. “Quickly!”

Almost hesitantly, the entire party turned their backs and slowly began to walk away. Gasin alone remained facing toward the strange mirage. After a score of steps that felt like hours, he slowed to a halt, and suddenly nodded.

“Stop.” He said, voice sounding oddly strained. “We should be far enough. But – do not look back.”

Mori turned her head, just enough to catch sight of it. For a moment, she saw the land before the tower again – now host to a manifold display of variant scenes, where a multitude of Moris stared back at her. One of them in particular seemed to look directly to her, and mouthed something through a fanged, blistered maw at her.

Strong hands touched against her shoulders and turned her about. Gasin, grim-faced and pale, stared down at her.

“That is enough, Mori.”

When she dared to look back a few minutes later, the tower was no more than a tower again. No strange vision greeted her, only the increasingly distant black smear of the tower. And yet, her counterpart’s strange words still rang in her head, clear as day: Nusta ogur osmze.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:41:08 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 23, 2023, 09:40:54 am »

It was on their way back from the corrupted citadel that they would gain their next lead. The group were trekking their way back through the trenches when Gencesh suddenly stopped, planting his cane in the dirt and sharply cocking his head to the side for a moment.

“Wait.” Gencesh hissed, his features twisting sharply. “I hear voices - up ahead of us.”

The group responded as one, immediately pressing themselves against the soft loam of the trench’s wall and creeping along with their backs to the soil. Each one had a hand or his or her weapon, ready to strike should something come around the sharp corner of the zig-zagging trench. It came as quite the surprise when they came face to face with the source of the sound, situated at the end of the trench – a low-rising building of stone and wood, its door slightly ajar and a handful of windows sticking out from the sides. The voices were echoing out of there, the chatter of the greenskins’ language mixing with the jangle of music and the sound of scraping wood.

“Dubmith,” Gasin turned his head slightly, looking over one shoulder. “You speak Goblin, do you not?”

“It’s been long since I studied the greenskin tongue, Lord Gasin.” Dubmith replied, carefully stepping forward to stand beside him. “But I may try, if you wish.”

He nodded tightly. “Aye.”

The pale young woman spared a nod before creeping forward to press herself against the stone wall, listening to the snatches of conversation drifting out from the low building’s few windows and around the door. The rest of the party took up guarded positions nearby, covering any angle from which an attacker could spring; wary eyes flicked left and right, limbs tense with anticipation. Seconds stretched into minutes; minutes into hours. It was a relief when Dubmith finally crept away from the building’s doorway to rejoin them, her expression curiously dark.

“Well?”

“I could make out a few conversations, no more than that. Most of it was idle chatter, though a few parts stood out. Three words, in particular.” Dubmith grimaced, raising her head to look the black-clad man in the eye. “Snuz osmol.”

“Snuz osmol…”Gasin tilted his head to the side at that, features creasing in confusion.

“No, sire. ‘Snuz os-mol’. ‘The great death-scholar’.” Dubmith’s eyes narrowed to slits as she looked back at the building. “Does that sound familiar, lord Crewcanyons?”

“The Sage.” In his soft tones, the name became an obscenity. He surged forward, already striding toward the building with his sword in hand and murder written in every line of his body. Mori opened her mouth to say something, but he cut her off with a voice barely below a snarl. “Do you wish to kill two birds with a single blow or not, Mori? We might just be able to slay the goblins and gain the traitor’s whereabouts at once!”

Despite the sharp scowl she shot him, Gasin pressed forward to stand before the door, and was halfway through the motion of opening it when the wooden door swung inwards to reveal a very surprised-looking goblin crossbowman, his hand raised to grip the air where the door’s handle had been. An awkward moment passed as the two parties took one another in, the goblin’s shocked eyes snapping across the septet of heavily armed humans standing in full battle-readiness before him as the sounds from within the building died.

Chaos broke loose a moment after that.

Gasin recovered first and lunged for the goblin with a low growl, a double-handed swing of his longsword splitting him in half with a single blow. The two halves clattered to the dirt in a fashion that would have been almost comical, were it not for the jetting blood and sudden stench released from its punctured stomach. A second goblin turned in time for the sword to take him through the eye and out the back of his head, Gasin wrenching the blade free with a snarl of effort and a convulsive motion of his arm.

The other goblins scrambled into action at the sight of the invaders, but they had been caught completely off-guard and it showed. Shocked into action by the sudden outbreak of fighting, the inquisitor’s retinue swept in behind him. Mori was one of the first into the battle, scattering a goblin sentry’s head across with the room with a double-handed swing of her war hammer before charging into another tangle of them, hurling them in all directions. Hathur and Sizet followed in her wake, cutting the legs out from those still standing or finishing off those already downed with axe and spear.

Thadar swore aloud as she pushed her way into the fighting. The conditions were already cramped thanks to the clutter of tables and chairs within the building; with the seven humans now crowding in as well, she was barely able to move without tripping over something – living or otherwise. Her axe swung left and right, sending splinters of wood and sprays of blood across the room in equal measure as she tried to clear a path through the fighting. She paused half a moment to look about; Dubmith and Gencesh were holding the door, busy trying to prevent anyone getting out to raise the alarm.

Mori, Sizet, and Hathur had formed a trio and were holding off several of the goblins, each of the group covering the other’s backs as they carefully picked their way through the cramped conditions. Any goblin foolish enough to try and strike at them found themselves impaled by a spear and rendered helpless against the subsequent blows, or sent scrambling away with blood gouting from a limb-stump, or with a skull crushed to flinders from the swing of a war hammer.

Gasin, by contrast, had practically flung himself into the fighting with a downright reckless abandon. The inquisitor had charged into the press of bodies with his longsword flashing left and right, relieving the greenskins of their limbs with every blow and sending blood spraying in all directions. By now he was deep in the crowd, slamming the heel of his left hand into the throat of an attacking goblin to drive him back as Gasin wrenched his blade free from the chest of another, then wheeling about on his heel to drive the sword through the exposed face of a third goblin. A fourth came at him, to be met with a full-force blow to the face from the sword’s hilt that shattered bone and sent him spinning away in a burst of blood. Snarling, the wounded goblin raised a long copper whip and let fly at his opponent.

The whip cracked out, wrapping around Gasin’s sword with a sharp shrieking sound before flourishing backward, pulling the weapon free of his hands. The inquisitor let out a sharp curse and scrambled to draw the dagger at his belt, only for a swing from another goblin in the vestments of a chief to send him staggering backward as a silver maul’s head rebounded from his breastplate. While the iron breastplate that covered his torso deflected the worst of the damage, it had left him open to another strike – a goblin spearman, shoving his way through the press of bodies, lunging across the room to plunge his bronze-headed spear into the side of Gasin’s leg. The speartip punched through the side of his boot and cut a fingerwidth into the flesh and bone behind, sending him to the ground as his leg unexpectedly gave out.

The goblin wasted no time in charging forward to continue his attack, only to find himself facing down the unified attacks of Mori, Sizet, and Hathur, the trio having managed to advance through the general melee after Gasin. A low-swinging blow of Hathur’s axe sent the whip-wielding goblin shrieking to the ground as its legs were severed from the thigh down, cutting off into a wet gurgling noise as Mori’s hammer crushed its ribs and Sizet’s spear struck cleanly through the throat. While the last two remained to extract Sizet’s spear from the corpse and help Gasin back upright, the latter stormed on to engage the maul-wielding goblin.

Snarling, Mori seized the goblin leader by the throat with one hand and lifted it bodily from the ground, hurling the wretched greenskin fully across the room. It hit one of the walls and rebounded to the ground with a yelp, the silver maul in its hand falling free, but Mori was not done. Snatching up the wounded Gasin’s sword with one hand, she strode forward and seized the goblin by the neck again; she ran it through with one swift punching motion, driving the iron longsword through its hip then wrenching the blade sideways through the flesh. The goblin collapsed to its knees, vainly trying to push the looping coils of its entrails back into its opened belly; Mori casually backhanded it to the floor as she threw the longsword back to Gasin before turning to plunge back into the fighting.

Unfortunately for her, much of the resistance had been destroyed. Those goblins who could flee had long since done so; the few that remained were dead or dying, cut down in the initial chaos of the fight or fatally wounded by the attackers’ superior skills. Only one remained, pushing itself back against the wall with both hands raised.

I al asnu!” The wretched thing yelped. It squealed with terror as Mori seized it by the front of its tunic and slammed it hard against the wall, teeth bared in full battle-fury. “I al asnu!

Mori made to drive her mailed fist into its face to stop its babble, only to find her arm immobile. She snapped her head about to find Thadar standing beside her, one iron-clad hand gripping her arm tightly. She shook her head.

“Not this one.” The axewoman growled, matching Mori’s glare with one of her own. “He’s surrendering. And we need information.”

“So read their journals and books.” Mori snarled aloud, her grip tightening on the goblin’s throat. “I ain’t in the mood for being nice.”

“D’you really think we’re going to salvage anything readable from this?” Thadar snapped, stepping forward so that she was chest to chest with Mori. Her free hand waved at the devastation sprawled around the room, the overturned chairs and tables, the goblinoid bodies hacked into bloody chunks or scattered across the walls by hammer-blows. “And unless you see a man’s corpse in here, I doubt we’ve got the bastard. We need information, and that means talking.”

The two bristled sharply at each other’s words, both visibly struggling to restrain their anger at each other. While the rest of the group busied themselves with anything but the confrontation, searching through the bodies or taking up position beside the door, Gasin forced himself to his feet and staggered over to where the axewoman and the hammerwoman were staring each other down.

“Mori.” Gasin rasped. “Stand down.”

“But--!”

“Enough.” Gasin’s voice took on a darker edge, eyes narrowing to black slits a second time. “If we can learn from this creature what I think we can…”

He paused for a long moment, before suddenly jerking his head toward Dubmith. Taking her cue, she stepped forward to stand before the goblin, immediately launching into a discussion in its strange language. It stammered something out, squirming nervously.

“They were attacked.” Dubmith translated. “Some time before we arrived. Creatures that looked like them, but which fought like monsters. They came from the other pits – near where we came from.”
The goblin babbled something further in its own language, flinching as Mori began to glare daggers at it from the sidelines, her hand still on her weapon.

“He says they were…” Dubmith cocked her head to the side, trying to parse the goblin’s frantic babble. “Flesh-broken? No, no – flesh-dead. Moving, but not alive.”

“Thralls.” Hathur murmured, a note of disgust clear in her tone. “Or walking corpses.”

“Dubmith,” Gasin rasped, coughing painfully as he leaned against a table for stability.  “Ask him… ask him about the Sage.”

Dubmith nodded shortly before turning back to the goblin, her mouth forming the odd, warped syllables of the Goblin language. It was slow going, slowed further by the goblin’s blind terror and the seething, murderous presence of Mori at her side; several times she was forced to repeat her question when the goblin chief could not or would not understand, but at last a pattern in the responses had begun to emerge.

“Was the Sage here?”

Dubmith turned to face Lord Gasin, pale and drawn but forcing himself to stand and move. There was a desperation in his eyes, a wild, almost animalistic look halfway between blind panic and obsessive need. His teeth were so tightly clenched that Dubmith momentarily feared he would draw blood from his lip as he limped toward her, every motion no doubt setting his wounded leg to shrieking.

“Was he?”

“He was.” Dubmith’s voice was as soft as ever, but in the tense silence of the ruined tavern-barracks it might as well have been a ringing scream. “Master Crewcanyons – he was here. Days ago and going back south, but…”

“It will be enough.” Gasin breathed out slowly, as though relieved. He made for the door at a limping stride. “Come with me. I will need your map…”

“Good.” Mori murmured, turning away with a soft, rasping breath to retrieve her hammer. Dubmith nodded and stepped back from the goblin as the greenskin’s hands leapt up to massage its bruised neck, busying herself with striding toward the entrance to re-join Gasin and the others. She was hardly surprised to hear the sharp snarl of rage behind her, accompanied by the goblin’s shriek of terror and the splattering crunch of bronze meeting bone. Mori emerged a few moments later, the front of her armour covered in blood and bits of brain matter.

“Went for your back once it was turned,” She growled, when Dubmith turned her head and raised an eyebrow at the gory sight. “Had to put the bastard down before it got to you.”

Dubmith didn’t believe Mori’s words for a moment, but neither did she care enough to make a fuss of it as they walked back to where Gasin had gathered the rest of their band.

“— the Sage’s current location.” He was saying, pointing to a small marking on the annotated map before them. “A small castle in the Realm of Silver.”

“Aye? And what makes you say that?”

Gasin pointed down at the map spread out before them. “The goblins – they mentioned that the Sage was going southward; doubling back. If we hadn’t heard what we did, and kept chasing him northwards –”

“He’d have slipped right through and escaped.” Gencesh finished for him. “But… why there?”

“Because it’s been abandoned for years.” Dubmith chimed in, voice subdued. “Contact was lost after the winter of ‘86. We all assumed it was due to plague, or thralls. No-one wanted to risk either by going there.”

Her jaw tightened, and she exchanged a worried glance with Gasin. “Now… now it looks like something more sinister.”

“Aye, and then there’s this. Take a look around –” Sizet gestured with her free arm at the towers and trenches around them group, face darkening as she went. “We’ve killed enough of these creatures for me to lose count, and for all of that we’ve barely made a dent in these pits as a whole. The rest of these towers are still crawling with the bastards, and that’s without even going properly underground.”

“What are you saying, Sizet?” Hathur turned her head toward her friend in apparent curiosity, though the look in her eye betrayed her suspicions.

“I’m saying that this was a feint from the start.” Sizet answered, bluntly. She began to pace about, spear tapping up and down with each motion to underscore her words. “The bastard knows he’s hunted. So he strings us along – makes it look like here’s trying to run off here, and hide among the pits. We come barrelling in here, piss off the greenskins or run into those undead hordes –”

“–And they rip us apart while he doubles back for home.” Hathur finished, grimacing. Her fingers went white on the handle of her axe. “That son of a whore…”

“But we know where he is now.” Thadar growled, pointing toward the map with her axe. “We can corner the bastard. Bring him down, once and for all.”

“We must.” Gasin’s voice was grim, and his face as bleak as the tundra. “But wh – if[ we fail… know that I am proud of you all, and of what we have achieved on our travels.”

He did not wait for a response from them, instead turning on his undamaged heel and beginning the long trek toward the party’s destination. It would help distract him from the knowledge of what was yet to come.

TBH, this chapter doesn’t feel up to my usual standards, but I was struggling to find a way to write it that wasn’t endless repetitions of the same overall fight or full of pretty overtly stilted dialogue. Still, next chapter should be the end of turn 92 and a step closer to clearing my backlog of writing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: May 23, 2023, 03:16:38 pm »

Ok, so for the last part of my playthrough, I need to know; someone a few months ago found a way to strip necromancy/vampirism/werecurses from creatures, does anyone remember anything about that?
I make Spellcrafts!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: May 23, 2023, 05:16:09 pm »

Ok, so for the last part of my playthrough, I need to know; someone a few months ago found a way to strip necromancy/vampirism/werecurses from creatures, does anyone remember anything about that?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173245.0

It's an old thread but the techniques suggested by Atomic Chicken and Saiko Kila both seem to work. If your adventurer has lots of different syndromes it might be hard to pinpoint the one you specifically want to remove, though.

TBH, this chapter doesn’t feel up to my usual standards, but I was struggling to find a way to write it that wasn’t endless repetitions of the same overall fight or full of pretty overtly stilted dialogue. Still, next chapter should be the end of turn 92 and a step closer to clearing my backlog of writing.

Your writing is excellent as always. The damned Abyssal Cult rears its head again!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: May 23, 2023, 05:21:55 pm »

For a less dfhacky method:  (only need to bodyswap to make the creature playable again)

It is told that Bor Mazeconstruct discovered the secret of life, and cleansed Bralbaard of his undead state, and returned him to life.
The method he described was the following;

The person undergoing the ritual should be brought to an area that naturally reanimates the dead.
The ritual on Bralbaard was performed by Bor at the Charcoal Pit, but other reanimating lands should work as well.
There the person should die in a way that does not mutilate the body.
Next, The person overseeing the ritual should wait for the body to be raised from death by the natural necromantic force of the land.
It is important that it should be raised by nature, and not a necromancer's spell! This can take *days* of observing the corpse, real time.

Once the body is raised from death, the observer should take command of the raised corpse by the arcane magic of "dfhack's bodyswap".
Once done, the  observer can return to his own body. The ritual is complete even though the raised corpse at this point is still undead, the work has been done.

Once the subject is left behind, the *worm* will claim him and cleanse him.

If at any point the raised corpse resumes his adventure he will have lost his undead status, and be truly alive. (OOC: you can select him from the adventurer screen but he will have a weird name, probably the last in the list, you will have to rename him)
There are drawbacks and advantages to his new state.
-Some characteristics, like birth date, race etc. remain the same, proof that it is still the same person
-the person will lose all skills
-the person's body will change it's appearance, as if a new person, any wounds will be healed.
-Despite being alive, and cured of undead status, the person will remain immortal, even if belonging to a mortal race.
-it has not been tested if this works against werecurses, or vampirism, it certainly did cure being an intelligent undead, or normal undead.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:30:18 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 263